Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:

I've seen people disconnect the hose to the transmission cooler, let the tranny squirt out the old fluid, and have a second guy pouring new fluid in about as fast as it came out.  I'm not sure I'd try it, but it seemed to do a good job getting most of it changed.
View Quote

This is how we did trans flushes. We put the full machine (13-15 quarts depending on the trans) inline on the cooler lines. There is a dual bladder. The old was recovered as the new was pumped back in its place. Even that isn't a true "100%" fluid replacement because the old and new fluid comingle in the pan. Its just volume dilution, pretty similar results as doing a 3 time pan drain.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:36:55 AM EDT
[#2]

I've seen people disconnect the hose to the transmission cooler, let the tranny squirt out the old fluid, and have a second guy pouring new fluid in about as fast as it came out.  I'm not sure I'd try it, but it seemed to do a good job getting most of it changed.
View Quote

Or have a. Bucket of new fluid with the line one is while one dump it refills at the same time..measure so what goes back in equates what came out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:37:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By leafinthewind:
Related to my other thread on safe levels on the dipstick...kinda.  

After becoming a certified Youtube mechanic ... I went down the rabbit hole about fluid levels in transmissions.  Specifically my Honda Odyssey....

There are several sites out there that say if I drain the transmission fluid by removing the drain plug...I am only actually draining about ONE THIRD of the total transmission fluid.  Therefor, a single transmission fluid change will only effectively get 1/3 of the total fluid out.

Then they say... if I do that change...then run it for a short time (example.. 100 miles) to mix the new with the old fluid...then change it AGAIN, I am technically only removing another 1/3 of the new/old mixed tranny fluid....and on and on...

I call BS

Am I wrong?
View Quote

This can be modeled with a differential equation (in fact, it's a common sort of problem in intermediate college math courses). But you don't really even need that for a stepwise function like this.

If you're only changing 1/3 of the fluid, then the volume after the first is 2/3 old and 1/3 new.

On the second change, assuming perfect mixing you are again removing 1/3, which is 2/3 old and 1/3 new(er). Thus the remaining volume of old fluid is (2/3) - (2/9) = (4/9).

On the third change, under the same assumptions you will be left with (4/9) - (4/27) = 8/27.

And on and on. That's why transmissions are usually flushed.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#4]
On Hondas and every other automatic trans, I like to unplug the oil cooler and hook up a hose so I can start the engine and let the trans pump out the fluid into a drain pan. Once I start to see bubbles in the oil I stop, refill the trans, and do it again, and again.  It usually takes about 3 rounds until the fluid comes out nice and clean.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By DayandNight1701:
Just about every auto trans on the planet has roughly 10-12 liters.  The most you can drain, even if you remove the pan, is roughly 5 to 6 liters.

Use that information as you will.
View Quote

Wrong.   Most automatic transmissions take approx 10-12 QUARTS, not liters.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:47:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Op,

You can use suction to pull from the dipstick tube if your vehicle has one.

Otherwise, they make a machine that attaches to the lines in the transmission and runs various chemicals through it and the torque converter while the vehicle runs on a lift.

I had an 06 Dodge Ram that the transmission was getting sluggish and the shifts weren’t completely engaging the gears. I had the flush done on the proper equipment and it completely revived the transmission.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:54:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: aquaman67] [#7]
I asked this question some time ago and an ARFCOM math wiz gave me this

% of new fluids after each flush:

1 39.69%

2 63.62%

3 78.06%

4 86.77%

5 92.02%

6 95.18%

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#8]
You are wrong.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#10]

After becoming a certified Youtube mechanic ... I went down the rabbit hole about fluid levels in transmissions.  Specifically my Honda Odyssey....

There are several sites out there that say if I drain the transmission fluid by removing the drain plug...I am only actually draining about ONE THIRD of the total transmission fluid.  Therefor, a single transmission fluid change will only effectively get 1/3 of the total fluid out.

Then they say... if I do that change...then run it for a short time (example.. 100 miles) to mix the new with the old fluid...then change it AGAIN, I am technically only removing another 1/3 of the new/old mixed tranny fluid....and on and on...

I call BS

Am I wrong?
View Quote

You are wrong. There is a bunch of fluid in the torque converter.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:35:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FunnyStar] [#11]
Oh my you are so wrong OP, I have a 2010 Japanese manufactured five speed automatic transmission. I would explain MAYO/BAYO to you but it's not worth it.

That drain plug and being able to swap out fluid easily is your biggest friend. Mine is a 7.7 quart system from the manufacturer. I added a Delray five stack plate and fin auxiliary transmission cooler to my system that added .76 quarts so I am essentially at 8.5 quarts. I have 241 thousand miles on the transmission. Last summer I replaced the 2nd and third gear clutch pressure switches and the transmission filter along with three drain a fills (if you have the six speed it's the 3rd and fourth gear pressure switches you want to replace regularly as they get older. I drain almost three and half quarts and put what I need back in. Love the outside canister style transmission filer. First car I ever worked on that I did not have to go inside to place the transmission filter.

I know how to and thought about disconnecting the transmission fluid return line and using the pump to replace all the fluid, but I have done this method since I owned the car.

I wish I was there to show you what to do as drain and fill, drive 100 miles and repeat and rinse is a great way to keep these transmissions going right.

Oh, I also replaced my oil and transmission plug with Doorman after market plugs. This is an odd case where my Doorman transmission plug magnet is better then the factory magnet transmission oil plug. Just replaced 3.5 quarts this summer and thinking about replacing another three and half quarts this late fall. At this stage of the game about every 15K miles I should start swapping out transmission fluid. After all, it seems to make my car run better.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:39:02 PM EDT
[#12]
that torsch converter finna hold sum fluid...then you gonna have some fluid else where ya hurd
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

So you don’t have a clue what any of this is either.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Just about every auto trans on the planet has roughly 10-12 liters.  The most you can drain, even if you remove the pan, is roughly 5 to 6 liters.

View Quote
The ones I work on hold 8.5 gallons with just the drain plug and filters.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Also on any 700r4 derivative that means some of the late model Obama motors shit, if you ain't fucked with the fluid...don't fuck with it.

You may ask...how is that on that specific tranny?

Well I am glad you asked. brandon tech went over it in a video, but basically in think it's the 3-4 fluid passage that is super fucking tiny and it doesn't take much of anything to reduce flow enough to where it burns the fucker up, and then those particles go all over and fuck everything up

Ferds...like the 6HPs and clones and 10Rs and the Big boy trannies are good to change the fluid anytime.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:53:04 PM EDT
[#16]
now its a proper tranny thread.

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:53:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By harrymank:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/476557/A984EFF1-EBD3-4A3D-A537-A309134F799F_jpe-3314798.JPG
View Quote

That R2 unit has a bad motivator.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:
Op,

Otherwise, they make a machine that attaches to the lines in the transmission and runs various chemicals through it and the torque converter while the vehicle runs on a lift.

I had an 06 Dodge Ram that the transmission was getting sluggish and the shifts weren't completely engaging the gears. I had the flush done on the proper equipment and it completely revived the transmission.
View Quote
Appropriate for a tranny thread
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:57:31 PM EDT
[#19]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/476557/A984EFF1-EBD3-4A3D-A537-A309134F799F_jpe-3314798.JPG
View Quote

Just wait till he hears about ragivneaux gearsets.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:04:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I did 3 drain & fills on my Honda Pilot recently, at about 80,000 miles.  The vast majority of fluid should now be new fluid.

I had this previously at around 40,000 miles.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:05:12 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

If I pointed at the table and said "Sun" gear or "planetary" gear would we still be friends?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:07:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By APBullet:

Most likely it won't be 1/3.  More like 3 quarts.  If you go that far go further and drop the pan and replace the filter.

You don't have to go 100 miles. The last one I did I dropped the pan, changed the filter, and refilled.  With the rear off the ground I ran it through all the gears for like a minute or two and repeated (less the pan drop and filter replacement) until I went through 18 quarts.  I didn't feel like dealing with a larger mess of removing a cooler line and doing a fluid exchange again.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By APBullet:

I call BS

Am I wrong?
Most likely it won't be 1/3.  More like 3 quarts.  If you go that far go further and drop the pan and replace the filter.

You don't have to go 100 miles. The last one I did I dropped the pan, changed the filter, and refilled.  With the rear off the ground I ran it through all the gears for like a minute or two and repeated (less the pan drop and filter replacement) until I went through 18 quarts.  I didn't feel like dealing with a larger mess of removing a cooler line and doing a fluid exchange again.

It's my understanding that you can really damage the Honda transmissions if you Rev it while on a lift, or jackstands.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:56:00 PM EDT
[#23]
The transmission fluid change procedure for my old Ford Edge required draining fluid, adding fluid, running the engine and shifting through all the gears, then repeating the above a set number of times to get all of the old fluid out of the TC.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

E4OD, 4R100?

Thats a tad excessive for a fluid change.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Mcgiggles:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mcgiggles:

It’s going to blow your mind when you realize that a quart and a liter are very close in volume. Most likely close enough to make his statement correct.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:37:28 PM EDT
[#26]
You have to do a flush with a machine to do a trans service correctly. If it has more then 100k and it’s never been changed leave it be
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Thread not going the way OP thought it would because he wrong.  
Honda procedure, dump what you can, measure and refill with same amount. Drive a few miles and repeat.  No need to get 100% of it done.  
My only problem with the Honda transmission is they don’t provide a dip stick with a big enough diameter to place a funnel in it and fill it.  
Instead you have to pull out a fill plug on top of the trans.  Not so easy in the Pilot with the high fenders and grill.  Bastards.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:13:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Amped:
You have to do a flush with a machine to do a trans service correctly. If it has more then 100k and it’s never been changed leave it be
View Quote

You don’t machine flush a Honda.  Never.  Dump, fill, run, dump and fill. Done.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:14:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By ScottsGT:
Thread not going the way OP thought it would because he wrong.  
Honda procedure, dump what you can, measure and refill with same amount. Drive a few miles and repeat.  No need to get 100% of it done.  
My only problem with the Honda transmission is they don’t provide a dip stick with a big enough diameter to place a funnel in it and fill it.  
Instead you have to pull out a fill plug on top of the trans.  Not so easy in the Pilot with the high fenders and grill.  Bastards.
View Quote

Not true.

You just got to use a really small funnel, small tubing, some string to tie it up and some time to slowly pour 3-4 quarts in.

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

That's kind of hard to do with no dipstick transmissions now.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:21:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MisterPX] [#31]
Originally Posted By MilHouse-556:

Not true.

You just got to use a really small funnel, small tubing, some string to tie it up and some time to slowly pour 3-4 quarts in.

View Quote

I just use a long thin funnel.  Fits second gen ody perfectly.

ETA: for the xmsn fill plug.  Takes under 30 seconds to do.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:24:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By FGracing:
Torque converters hold a good amount of volume.
View Quote
This, about 1/3 in TQ, 1/3 in transmission itself, and 1/3 in the pan.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:33:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Just drain and fill at reasonable intervals.  You don't want to replace all of the fluid anyways (unless it is burnt); a little clutch material in the oil is a good thing, as long as it isn't enough to clog passages.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

In high school auto mech class 1 we had to take apart and reassemble auto trans in groups of two. My buddy and I dropped a check ball and couldn’t find it so being high school kids we decided to just put it back together. The next day we got a zero. When we asked the teacher why we got a zero he handed me a check ball.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:45:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By flippflopped:

In high school auto mech class 1 we had to take apart and reassemble auto trans in groups of two. My buddy and I dropped a check ball and couldn’t find it so being high school kids we decided to just put it back together. The next day we got a zero. When we asked the teacher why we got a zero he handed me a check ball.
View Quote

Haha.  Those little fuckers are sons of bitches.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Since we are on the subject

I have a Tahoe with 324k miles, transmission fluid hasn't been changed since 2012/120k miles.

I figured it made no sense to change it at this point, but am I wrong?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:52:26 PM EDT
[#37]
The ex wife's mini transmission crapped and we took it to the local mechanic who took it to Amcco who installed a rebuilt transmission with a new cooler .

But like others stated draining the pan only gets 1/3 of the total fluid, then repeating the drain and fills will decrease the old fluid percentage but you will never get 100% new fluid.

We did this with stamping press torque packs.
We drained the fluid tank, wiped the entire tank inside clean and replaced all the filters.
When your are draining a 100 to 150 tank the few gallons in the torque pack didn't matter.
It was about removing all the fine particles that were in the oil
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:04:20 PM EDT
[#38]
So OP just posts and ghosts?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:16:51 PM EDT
[#39]
I just do a drain and fill every 15k miles in hondas. Fluid seems to stay pretty clean and all my Hondas have gone over 250k miles with no transmission failures.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 8:29:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By MilHouse-556:

Not true.

View Quote

You sonofabitch! I actually thought about that, but realized I didn’t have three days for an IV drip of tranny fluid.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 8:32:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
So OP just posts and ghosts?
View Quote

OP here.  No ghosting...just learning.

I... Officially... Was .... Wrong.

No shame in admitting to learning things i didn't know.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:32:26 PM EDT
[#42]

OP here.  No ghosting...just learning.

I... Officially... Was .... Wrong.

No shame in admitting to learning things i didn't know.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:48:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Vikingsouthpaw:
There is tranny fluid in the cooler as well as the valve body also.  Best solution is a tranny flush and fill.
View Quote

Are there any manufacturers that recommend that? Back when I designed transmission filters, none of them did but that was in the 1990's.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 12:40:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By not_sure:

Are there any manufacturers that recommend that? Back when I designed transmission filters, none of them did but that was in the 1990's.
View All Quotes
There is tranny fluid in the cooler as well as the valve body also.  Best solution is a tranny flush and fill.

Honda specifically states not to do it on theirs.  Drain/fill only.  Ours have lasted a long time with zero issues following that guidance.

On my Ford and a couple Toyotas, I pull a tranny cooler return line, and use the built in pump to remove a measured amount of fluid from the system, refill, and repeat until 14-16 quarts have run through.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 3:43:47 AM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

I was around a few shops in the late 90’s and early 2000’s and I think all of them say not to. I think it’s too easy to damage the tranny and they are risk adverse.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 6:15:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Just anecdotal story. I need up with "the pink milk shake" in my tundra. The tranny cooler fails si the tranny fluid mixes with antifreeze. It a mess and  takes quite a while to flush out. It's been a while but IIRC, draining my tranny at the plug removes about 1/2 gal. I had to do this multiple times to flush out all the antifreeze. There's probably a much better way to it but I used quite a few Gallo s of ATF
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 8:03:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:
Op,

I had an 06 Dodge Ram that the transmission was getting sluggish and the shifts weren’t completely engaging the gears. I had the flush done on the proper equipment and it completely revived the transmission.
View Quote

Would only work if one used a suction hose down through the dipstick tube as dipstick tubes generally do not go all the way to the bottom of the pan. Even then, one is only going to suck out whatever volume of fluid is in the pan, nowhere near the full capacity of the transmission. Various flush methods would probably get 87+% of the old fluid out.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 8:08:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: diesel1] [#48]
Originally Posted By midcap:
now its a proper tranny thread.

https://i.redd.it/7boftdtg8uq61.jpg
View Quote

Whew!!! Wood be OK until I heard "hey Baby, wanna take a walk on the wild side?" in a deep voice. Aftermarket auto parts yes but only OEM for that.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 8:12:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By dyezak:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dyezak:
Originally Posted By flippflopped:

Try doing a shift kit in car where you have to stick them in place and hope they don't fall out.

About the same level as AR15 detent pins and springs.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 8:15:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By zeekh:
Just anecdotal story. I need up with "the pink milk shake" in my tundra. The tranny cooler fails si the tranny fluid mixes with antifreeze. It a mess and  takes quite a while to flush out. It's been a while but IIRC, draining my tranny at the plug removes about 1/2 gal. I had to do this multiple times to flush out all the antifreeze. There's probably a much better way to it but I used quite a few Gallo s of ATF
View Quote

You're quite lucky if you caught it before the trans failed.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top