Keep going east...
View Quote

With all due respect,

no
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 4:16:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 4:33:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep. I don’t wish this shit on anyone. But if will just keep shifting east I won’t have to deal with the shit.

Better you than me. But not in a dickish kind of way.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 5:58:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 6:04:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 6:07:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rebel31] [#7]

#Francine is assuming a much more well-defined structure this afternoon as a vertically aligned vortex develops, with spiral banding wrapping tightly around the circulation center. Central pressure was falling quickly when the last reconnaissance aircraft departed, indicating steady intensification. A new aircraft is en route to assess how things have changed, but the storm is clearly organizing. Folks in the path in #Louisiana should be executing their hurricane plans
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/9/2024 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 6:35:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 545days:

This I agree with.  I have no idea why people and HOAs plant trees under the power lines along the street.  Best case, the trees are trimmed properly and look like shit as a result.
View Quote
All over Houston, there are trees planted directly under power lines.

I am not talking natural growing trees.

Time and money is spent on buying trees, digging holes in the narrow spaces between the streets and sidewalks and them planting species of trees that grow very tall and big directly under the power lines that occupy the same space.

Then when the trees reach the power line they don't cut the tree down. They mutilate it to the point it serves no purpose of aesthetics or shade but not enough to prevent it from damaging the power line.

Link Posted: 9/9/2024 10:14:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Kinda dicey now for Lafayette.  Going to be rough for them.  Big question is:  East of Laffy, or West?  West will mess up a lot of stuff in the heart of Acadiana.  At this point, it doesn't really matter the exact strength of the storm.  Stuff's gonna be jacked up for a while.  Been a while since that area had a "direct hit".  Lily in 2002 IIRC was BAD in Lafayette.  Lafayette (my hometown) is a good place, and I wish them the best.  Brother down there is fighting to get his genny started.  He has zero mechanical aptitude and I'm doing the best I can to help him.  Parish president (the mayor) says peeps aren't prepared.  I don't doubt it.  Been  LONG while since they've had a direct hit.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 10:20:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:
Kinda dicey now for Lafayette.  Going to be rough for them.  Big question is:  East of Laffy, or West?  West will mess up a lot of stuff in the heart of Acadiana.  At this point, it doesn't really matter the exact strength of the storm.  Stuff's gonna be jacked up for a while.  Been a while since that area had a "direct hit".  Lily in 2002 IIRC was BAD in Lafayette.  Lafayette (my hometown) is a good place, and I wish them the best.  Brother down there is fighting to get his genny started.  He has zero mechanical aptitude and I'm doing the best I can to help him.  Parish president (the mayor) says peeps aren't prepared.  I don't doubt it.  Been  LONG while since they've had a direct hit.
View Quote
Looks, at this time, like it's going to be west of us. We are okay.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 10:58:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Thugbuster:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You sure 'bout that, bro?  The east side is the worst, you know?  The models are trending it further east, and I hope it pans out that way.  East is more Atchafalaya Basin.  Far fewer people out there.  Sure, it's going to suck for folks REAL close to the coast.  But a hit WEST of Lafayette is the worst possible scenario.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 11:01:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks to be bulking up quick

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 11:05:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By mcantu:
I got a text from them earlier saying that they are preparing and if you need electricity for life-sustaining equipment, make arraignments for alternative on-site backup
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mcantu:
Originally Posted By thesquidliest:
Odds on Centerpoint Energy failing in an epic fashion again?
I got a text from them earlier saying that they are preparing and if you need electricity for life-sustaining equipment, make arraignments for alternative on-site backup

That is fucked up. Can you do a screen shot without giving up yer info?
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 11:11:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Good wishes to my coon-ass neighbors   Hoping yall come out awright if it comes your way
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 11:19:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Key Points 
1. Francine is now forecast to have winds of 100 mph at landfall over Louisiana. 
2. No significant change in the track has been made with this advisory.

Our Forecast 
Tropical Storm Francine is slowly becoming better organized. The storm has turned northward, and will likely turn more towards the northeast tomorrow. Our forecast continues to indicate that Francine will make landfall over southern Louisiana, possibly near Lafayette, Wednesday afternoon.
Francine now has winds near 65 mph. Conditions are favorable for intensification, and Francine is now forecast to have winds of 100 mph at landfall. We cannot rule out Francine becoming even stronger than we are forecasting. After landfall, rapid weakening is expected. With Francine expected to be stronger, there is a risk of tidal surges reaching 6 to 8 feet, which could result in significant surge damage.
It is worth noting that a stronger storm will likely track east of our forecast, with landfall potentially occurring over Vermilion Bay. Conversely, a weaker storm will likely track west, closer to Lake Charles.

- Sounds like others are hearing that it is getting stronger, so that might put it even more East for landfall.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 11:34:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Stay safe. Sending prayers.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 6:11:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 4q2:
Good wishes to my coon-ass neighbors   Hoping yall come out awright if it comes your way
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/10/2024 7:25:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Been watching this thing for a couple of weeks. It’s been going from area of concern to nothing. Back and forth.  Present track has it heading straight up the Mississippi. Interesting to see if it wobbles.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 7:35:04 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

It’s a combination of freak out and straight up ignoring it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 7:58:51 AM EDT
[#21]

You sure 'bout that, bro?  The east side is the worst, you know?  The models are trending it further east, and I hope it pans out that way.  East is more Atchafalaya Basin.  Far fewer people out there.  Sure, it's going to suck for folks REAL close to the coast.  But a hit WEST of Lafayette is the worst possible scenario.
View Quote
Nope, you are correct, right over me, technically. However, me and MrsTB are still in FL, but the kids and grands are on our compound in south Lafayette Parish. We are not due to be home until the 16th. They have been prepping the houses and gathering supplies for 2 days. 3 of the 5 homes have whole house generators. Plus 2 spare portables. Tractors are fueled up and the saws are ready. Not much I can do from here but pray.

Ive been through many hurricanes. This one is supposed to hit as a cat2. I would worry more if it gets any higher. The positive thing is we are on an ancient salt dome, much like the nearby Avery and Jefferson Islands. The flood of 2016 never made it near the houses, but we were isolated for 3 days. My Argo came in handy.

Link Posted: 9/10/2024 8:00:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Move to a (hurricane) free state.

Good luck everyone.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 8:16:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 10:24:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fas2c] [#24]
All of the gas stations are out of fuel, at least the ones I drove past. The ones by my house were supposed to get a truck last night but it never arrived. Fortunately, my employer is a fuel distributor, but I have to drive 30 minutes to the shop. I have fuel for the saws.

The news was saying we weren't going to get the brunt. We are on the western side. Cameron Parish which is right down the street, issued a mandatory evacuation. We aren't going anywhere.

We are working and scheduled to work all week unless something prevents us from going in. The plant is still in production.

Pics from TV @0530
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 10:43:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Nope, you are correct, right over me, technically. However, me and MrsTB are still in FL, but the kids and grands are on our compound in south Lafayette Parish. We are not due to be home until the 16th. They have been prepping the houses and gathering supplies for 2 days. 3 of the 5 homes have whole house generators. Plus 2 spare portables. Tractors are fueled up and the saws are ready. Not much I can do from here but pray.

Ive been through many hurricanes. This one is supposed to hit as a cat2. I would worry more if it gets any higher. The positive thing is we are on an ancient salt dome, much like the nearby Avery and Jefferson Islands. The flood of 2016 never made it near the houses, but we were isolated for 3 days. My Argo came in handy.

View Quote

I got eight inches in the house for the '16 "non-tropical" floods.  It played no small role in our decision to move up here lol.  I'd rather the damned thing burn to the ground than deal with flooding again.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 12:35:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By skid2041:
Cool! I'll be in Galveston all week. 1st vacation in 4 yrs. Hahahaha figures.
View Quote
I work in Galveston.  Nothing much is expected to happen unless this thing defies all models,  NHC now predicts if making landfall as a Cat 1 and not a 2
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 1:56:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Galveston area most likely will only have some minimal effects. Some rain tonight and maybe some light winds if that.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 4:59:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyeore1966] [#29]
"While there is little change to the track forecast scenario since the last advisory, the track guidance has again shifted to the east, most notably between 12-48 h.  Based on this change, the forecast track during that period is again nudged a little to the east."

from the 5pm update...

Link Posted: 9/10/2024 9:23:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Klee] [#30]
Looks like its officially a Hurricane as of an hour ago. It strengthened to a cat 1 about 6 hours ahead of the predictions.

Francine becomes a category 1 hurricane

Hurricane Francine forms in the Gulf of Mexico

Link Posted: 9/11/2024 1:52:18 AM EDT
[#31]
@midcap you stay safe bro
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Rain is picking up.... pretty heavy downpour right now.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:32:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Gdirty5:
Rain is picking up.... pretty heavy downpour right now.
View Quote

Hopefully it goes thru fast and doesn't linger.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:37:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HourOfAngle] [#34]
I'm in MS near where I-55 cross the LA/MS border. Rather be here when a hurricane or depression comes close than at my other house just because you never know what might need attention. I'bve been through a number of them from Andrew, Katrina, and a number of others while living in TX. Have a whole house generator and a number of window units for AC in the shop that can be put in quickly if needed to run off the generator.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:40:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By HourOfAngle:
I'm in MS near where I-55 cross the LA/MS border. Rather be here when a hurricane or depression comes close than at my other house just because you never know what might need attention.
View Quote

Just a bit southeast of you in the Bay.  As of 8:39AM CST, calm and just a slight drizzle.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:55:59 AM EDT
[#36]
I just put $800 worth of lime and fertilizer and seed on my pasture and food plots.

Send that rain to mid-TN, please.

Link Posted: 9/11/2024 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Light wind and slight drizzle.

I'm in the Atchafalaya basin.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 10:14:15 AM EDT
[#38]
The eye from Ida passed right over us. It was pretty darn awesome and terrifying at the same time.
This one is forecasted to hit to the west. Worst possible case scenario for flooding the shit out of my area.
Terrebonne Parish coastal area
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 10:16:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Button up you east side peeps. Cat 1 isn’t horrible but there will be loss of power for a couple weeks in some places.

Link Posted: 9/11/2024 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Klee:

View Quote

Good luck over there.
I’ve hunted and frogged Burns Point a couple times. Beautiful area.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By rtlm:

Hopefully it goes thru fast and doesn't linger.
View Quote

Same, but lookin on the news this morning, a large part of Metairie is ALREADY without power and the storm didn't hit yet.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 10:26:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Klee:

View Quote

That would be Called the calm before the storm.... Good luck, hope you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 10:26:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Cajun_Redneck:
The eye from Ida passed right over us. It was pretty darn awesome and terrifying at the same time.
This one is forecasted to hit to the west. Worst possible case scenario for flooding the shit out of my area.
View Quote

You evacuated?
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 10:27:50 AM EDT
[#44]
When the Levee Breaks (Remaster)
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 10:28:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 10:30:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Patches of moderate rain here in Washington Parish ..... this fucking storm is gonna cruise right over my place.

What makes it even better is that I have to be at the Ascencion Parish EOC at 9am tomorrow ..... we have the contract to perform the restoration/mitigation/repairs on all their properties/facilities.

Parking the truck in the front yard so I don't wake up to an Oak tree laying on top of it
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 10:30:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 10:31:27 AM EDT
[#48]

You evacuated?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cajun_Redneck:

You evacuated?

Yes. We left last night. I10 East was pretty chill.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 10:35:44 AM EDT
[#49]
I remember the snow on Galveston Beach
(2021 I think? Maybe '22)
The uSA is done. Finished. Gone.
Especially after last night's "debate" aka 3 vs 1.
I'm glad my parents can just sit back and watch. They earned it. As did my grandparents.
I'm ready to go. F it all
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 10:39:35 AM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

Lafayette is a shit hole. Couldn't get out of there quick enough.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top