BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:23:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By drobs:
I absolutely hated the paddle release on the HK USP I owned. What a horrible design.

Using a high hand hold, my middle finger got in the way of activating the mag release.

I see why HK thought it was a good idea to put indentations on the base of the grip so you could tear the magazine out.

The USP 45 is one of the few guns I don't regret trading off, years ago. I have never considered buying another one.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/USP_45_jpg-3322914.JPG
View Quote

LOL, you can use the the finger you are saying is " in the way" to push the paddle.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:30:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By JellyJugz:
Everyone knows the HK paddle mag release is one of God's gifts too the world.
Yet almost nobody even copies one. Ive heard Walther does....But ive never actually seen one in the wild.
I don't have small hands but on most handguns I need to shift my grip to hit the mag release on most of these things.
WTF gives?
Does anyone actually shoot their guns? or Try to do a rapid mag change.
I just don't understand....
I wan't to buy a pistol other than an HK but why even bother with such a disgusting mag release.
Guess that makes me an HK "fanboi" ....such a low bar, they came out with the paddle mag release in what the 80's? And nobody else uses it?
Gun companies are a joke.
View Quote

It sounds like you need to practice what you preach and maybe train, even a little bit.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:33:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Pointman91:

LOL, you can use the the finger you are saying is " in the way" to push the paddle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By drobs:
I absolutely hated the paddle release on the HK USP I owned. What a horrible design.

Using a high hand hold, my middle finger got in the way of activating the mag release.

I see why HK thought it was a good idea to put indentations on the base of the grip so you could tear the magazine out.

The USP 45 is one of the few guns I don't regret trading off, years ago. I have never considered buying another one.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/USP_45_jpg-3322914.JPG

How about just no.

Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:36:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Yet almost nobody even copies one. Ive heard Walther does....But ive never actually seen one in the wild.
I don't have small hands but on most handguns I need to shift my grip to hit the mag release on most of these things.
WTF gives?
I wan't to buy a pistol other than an HK but why even bother with such a disgusting mag release.
Guess that makes me an HK "fanboi" ....such a low bar, they came out with the paddle mag release in what the 80's? And nobody else uses it?
View Quote

It's so great and the best that no one else does it, lmao.  How many hk pistols are used in ipsc or uspsa or 3 gun?  I hear they do some quick mag changes, quick, someone should let them know their shits inferior.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:48:19 AM EDT
[#5]

It's significantly slower, and isn't Ambidextrous.
View Quote
I couldn't care less about it being ambidextrous as I am only right handed and it's my gun.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:50:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By fingas:
I couldn't care less about it being ambidextrous as I am only right handed and it's my gun.
View All Quotes

You’ve only got one hand?
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:51:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#8]
OP preaching truths over here.

Walther USED TO be all about paddles like HK, and their P99/PPQ paddles were actually better. Then they went gay and started fucking up.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 10:01:35 AM EDT
[#9]
The paddle release is superior, ya got that right.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 10:10:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 10:18:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 556Cliff] [#11]
Is it weird that I'm right handed and depress the right side paddle of the HK mag release with the middle finger of my right hand? I feel like that's how everybody would feel most comfortable doing it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I've had a lot of Walthers and HKs and like that style of mag release.

But now, I'm big into 2011s so I've become used to that style.

It's kind of "whatever" at this point.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 10:42:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Grow longer thumbs? It’s quicker to reposition a thumb than your middle finger? Who is breaking their grip to press the mag release?
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 11:02:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 556Cliff:
Is it weird that I'm right handed and depress the right side paddle of the HK mag release with the middle finger of my right hand? I feel like that's how everybody would feel most comfortable doing it.
View Quote

That's how I've been doing it for 25 years. A previous poster said his middle finger was " in the way".
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 11:05:15 AM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:
I have a button on two of my guns and I don’t shift my grip at all to depress it.

The paddle release is cool and I had it on a Walter.  But it’s not some requirement for a fast and efficient reload.

It's not, you just suck.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 11:14:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Claytonhoneyberry:

View All Quotes

You can't hit a mag release with your index finger? Isn't that what you guys are advocating for with the paddle release?
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 11:23:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CMiller] [#17]

That’s a holster problem, not a mag release button problem.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CMiller:
Forget about all that, how about how vulnerable a button release is to getting hit unintentionally?

I've found my mag ejected multiple times in the holster. Now I'm paranoid about it and periodically check it.

That's a better argument for a paddle release than any concerns about user intentional manipulation.

That’s a holster problem, not a mag release button problem.

Maybe, but which is easier to activate unintentionally?

There are plenty of stories of AR mags getting ejected by something bumping the button. There are plenty of stories of LE using a quality retention holster losing their mags.

What's the downside to reducing the chance of having a problem you don't discover until it could kill you?
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 11:34:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Either way is fine. Though I have stumbled on a Glock after using a paddle for a bit.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 12:43:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Space-Cadet:

You can't hit a mag release with your index finger? Isn't that what you guys are advocating for with the paddle release?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Space-Cadet:

No, that would be awkward as heck.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 12:45:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 556Cliff] [#20]

That's how I've been doing it for 25 years. A previous poster said his middle finger was " in the way".
View All Quotes

Crazy, he's doing it very wrong. He must be trying to use his thumb to press down on the left side paddle.

The problem there is that he refuses to adapt himself to the better system and is holding tight to his push button mag release methodology.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 12:58:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By BuddyChryst:
OP, are you Jared Goff?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/240289/IMG_7758_jpeg-3322712.JPG

The paddles are not good. The VP9 are especially bad because they don’t always sit flush to the trigger guard and can poke your finger:
https://i.postimg.cc/FRMdjB1j/IMG-2774.jpg

Buttons are best and if you’re a lefty, many allow for swapping over to the other side. If you’re going to tout the one in a billion chance that you get into a gunfight where you lose the use of your right hand and need to reload, you’re living in a world of make believe and picked the wrong fight.
View Quote

You're sticking your finger through too far, you've got to be centered on the trigger with your first knuckle to be hitting the mag release like that.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 1:23:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joekizanyu] [#22]

There are plenty of stories of AR mags getting ejected by something bumping the button. There are plenty of stories of LE using a quality retention holster losing their mags.

What's the downside to reducing the chance of having a problem you don't discover until it could kill you?
View All Quotes
Forget about all that, how about how vulnerable a button release is to getting hit unintentionally?

I've found my mag ejected multiple times in the holster. Now I'm paranoid about it and periodically check it.

That's a better argument for a paddle release than any concerns about user intentional manipulation.

That's a holster problem, not a mag release button problem.

We should go back to heel mag releases and fixed mags if you're so concerned with accidental mag drops. Or (gasp!) revolvers.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 1:26:03 PM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes
I have a button on two of my guns and I don’t shift my grip at all to depress it.

The paddle release is cool and I had it on a Walter.  But it’s not some requirement for a fast and efficient reload.

I have pistols from two different makers with ambi button realeases.
Not saying it's common but it's a thing.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 1:27:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By joekizanyu:
I carry a reload, not because I envision an extended shootout with the local cartel, but because malfunctions happen. And many malfunctions are mag related.
View Quote
Ah, you must carry a 1911. Makes sense!
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 1:27:25 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Train with whatever you use and it’s a non-issue.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 1:31:30 PM EDT
[#26]

It's your funeral pal.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PolarBear416:
I don't carry spare pistol mags.

With my carry p365 I'm going to use my 12 rounds to create the opportunity to GTFO of whatever bad place I'm in.

With the 92fs in my nightstand if 17 rounds isn't enough I'm going to use it to get to my closet and pick up my loaded 30rd AR.

I just don't see pistol reloads as something I'm likely to do, so I don't prioritize making it faster.

It's your funeral pal.

He died doing what he loved.  Being unprepared for the worst bad time.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 1:44:58 PM EDT
[#27]
As someone who has all the generations of Walther's plastic guns and who has owned and a USP and a Mk 23, the difference in paddle vs button reloads seem negligible to me.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#28]
I much prefer the HK release mechanism. I use my index finger on the right hand side.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By -KentuckyWindage-:
I am a fan of the HK mag release
View Quote

it is the ONLY thing i like about the USPc
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By centex_SR-15:
My first pistol was a USP so that's how I learned.  Nowadays with configurable releases, I move the mag release to the right side and use my middle finger as it feels more natural and the motion is mechanically identical to a HK paddle release for me.
View Quote

when my duty weapon (16 years )?was a USPc, I was not allowed to carry it off duty, and I did not want to anyway, too big and clunky, so i put the mag release on the right side of a glock for the same reason to be consistent in habits.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 2:12:51 PM EDT
[#31]
OP, are you Jared Goff?

The paddles are not good. The VP9 are especially bad because they don’t always sit flush to the trigger guard and can poke your finger:

Buttons are best and if you’re a lefty, many allow for swapping over to the other side. If you’re going to tout the one in a billion chance that you get into a gunfight where you lose the use of your right hand and need to reload, you’re living in a world of make believe and picked the wrong fight.
View Quote

Agreed on the paddle irritating the trigger finger.  I found that removing one side of the mag release was easy.  Problem solved.

As for lefties, I've swapped a few buttons over to the other side.  Swapped 'em back.  My thumb isn't long enough to properly reach the button on most pistols.  Whereas if the button is on the left side then there's never a problem pressing it with the middle finger of my left hand.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 2:14:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joekizanyu] [#32]
View All Quotes
I carry a reload, not because I envision an extended shootout with the local cartel, but because malfunctions happen. And many malfunctions are mag related.
So edgy. Can't some up with a rational and coherent response; resorts to personal attacks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 2:20:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By IdahoPCCinc:

I don't think u understand what ambidextrous actually means.
It takes time and usually tools and disassemby to "switch" that's a "conversion"

But, That's ok I am merely spreading the good word of HK.

It's your funeral

FYI.....most modern hand guns do have ambi mag releases.

And like anything.....if you actually practice doing mag changes, you'll get pretty fast.

Which makes me wonder......how come 99.9% of competitive shooters aren't using HK ???

Glock, CZ, Staccato, SIG, 1911's, 2011's.....Hell, even Springfield and CANIK are more popular than any HK.

OP......your rant is

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By IdahoPCCinc:

WTF gives?

I don't think u understand what ambidextrous actually means.
It takes time and usually tools and disassemby to "switch" that's a "conversion"

But, That's ok I am merely spreading the good word of HK.

It's your funeral

FYI.....most modern hand guns do have ambi mag releases.

And like anything.....if you actually practice doing mag changes, you'll get pretty fast.

Which makes me wonder......how come 99.9% of competitive shooters aren't using HK ???

Glock, CZ, Staccato, SIG, 1911's, 2011's.....Hell, even Springfield and CANIK are more popular than any HK.

OP......your rant is

Link Posted: 9/15/2024 2:27:19 PM EDT
[#34]

Train with whatever you use and it's a non-issue.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/15/2024 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

True

But As a Freedom loving American I appreciate improvements in life.
Just like Electricity, Running water, and Air conditioning improves lives.
So does the Paddle mag release.

I know most most people on here are stuck living in the old ways, believing an M1 or M14 is a superior rifle to the AR-15.
But it does not make it so, the Paddle mag release is an improvement over the button.

Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:02:15 PM EDT
[#36]

You're sticking your finger through too far, you've got to be centered on the trigger with your first knuckle to be hitting the mag release like that.
View All Quotes
OP, are you Jared Goff?

So I’m guessing you’re one of the “first distal pad” cultists (based on your post and join date)?  Know what that looks like with man sized hands?

Yeah, that’s not at all comfortable, nor is it at all necessary. In short, the problem isn’t with how I place my trigger finger. It’s a problem with the paddles.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes
OP, are you Jared Goff?

So I’m guessing you’re one of the “first distal pad” cultists (based on your post and join date)?  Know what that looks like with man sized hands?

Yeah, that’s not at all comfortable, nor is it at all necessary. In short, the problem isn’t with how I place my trigger finger. It’s a problem with the paddles.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:11:56 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

The paddle release is cool and I had it on a Walter.  

^ never owned a USP
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#39]
I also much prefer the HK mag release.+
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#40]
I have both, prefer the HK paddle.

I can't even fathom how bad of a shooter you must be if you can't shoot a pistol because of the paddle release.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:26:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AK-12] [#41]

https://i.postimg.cc/9031ZNVT/IMG-2780.jpg

View Quote

Do you live at the top of a bean stalk?
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 7:00:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 556Cliff] [#42]

View All Quotes
OP, are you Jared Goff?

Had to go and take some comparison pictures. You may very well have a valid concern as your index finger looks longer than mine. Though I can also make contact with the left side paddle if I'm centered on the trigger at my first knuckle. Now no one has ever thought I had small hands, but they might be in comparison to yours.

Link Posted: 9/15/2024 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#43]

True

But As a Freedom loving American I appreciate improvements in life.
Just like Electricity, Running water, and Air conditioning improves lives.
So does the Paddle mag release.

I know most most people on here are stuck living in the old ways, believing an M1 or M14 is a superior rifle to the AR-15.
But it does not make it so, the Paddle mag release is an improvement over the button.

View Quote

What do competition shooters use?  

Their equipment is the benchmark for speed and efficiency.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Dang your picky. You would probably whine about the heel release on a makarov.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 8:22:58 PM EDT
[#45]
We should go back to heel mag releases and fixed mags if you're so concerned with accidental mag drops. Or (gasp!) revolvers.
View Quote

Or just use a better mag release design that allows quick mag changes with either hand with the same motions from either side and less chance of unintentional release.

Other than "I'm not used to it" I've yet to hear a serious argument against paddles on their merits.

I don't really have a dog in this fight, I'm a revolver fudd. But if I were to get a bottom feeder, paddles are a big selling point.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 8:30:50 PM EDT
[#46]
I just wish my 1st gen S&W Bodyguard 380 had a heel release. I hate that button on a pocket pistol.

Stats say a real world fight is over in three rounds anyway.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 6:11:26 AM EDT
[#47]
I don't mind the button at all, but the Hk paddle is superior.  Most people that don't like it use their thumb to activate it.  Your trigger finger is much faster and easier to use.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 6:32:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By anesvick:
Have a Walther PPQ with the paddle and it's actually better than HKs design because it is longer.  My wife stole it as it's her favorite 'fun' pistol.  I too wish they were more common but I don't shun guns with button releases because it works fine as well.
View Quote

This.

P99AS did it right. The HK USP version was okay, the P30 and VP9 version sucked since they would pinch your finger or get caught on gloves.

It’s a true ambi mag catch that doesn’t have the potential to be disengaged by accident when holstered. It is, objectively, a better design than the button style. But it never caught on here.

For the neanderthals on here, you hit it with the trigger or middle finger of your dominant hand, so it works without breaking grip for everyone except andre the giant or johnny bench.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 6:42:13 AM EDT
[#49]
USP / VP9 Fanboi checking in.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 6:53:36 AM EDT
[#50]
I have a good number of handguns.
They're ALL master race.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top