Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 11:59:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

These are art. These have had the absolute crap beat out of them. Still function 100%
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 12:01:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By TheTallest:

Honestly,  I don't think I'd even be able to tell the difference. As long as the tool can take stuff apart and put it back together I don't give a damn if it's 25 teeth or 2500 teeth and as smooth as a hookers ass.
View Quote

Do you make a living with your tools?

You'll appreciate things like rounded beams on wrenches and ratchets that aren't all sloppy and need a quarter turn to get the next tooth if you're using them all the time.

I have a pile of craftsman ratchets. I think I still have a 1/2" drive and maybe a 1/4" drive in my work truck but the ones that get used are snap-on and tekton. (Tekton ratchets are nice for the money and I haven't broken one yet)

My next upgrade is probably going to be to replace my craftsman 1/4" drive sockets that I bought about 20 years ago. I've got the 10mms worn enough that I don't trust them anymore. Lol

I'm thinking about trying the icon ones.  I'd like snap-on but they're expensive and it's tough for me to justify the expense over the other brands that I trust to work. Being a mobile guy that covers a pretty big area, being able to stop by a HF and buy or replace a tool is way easier than trying to track down a truck.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 12:02:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Honestly,  I don't think I'd even be able to tell the difference. As long as the tool can take stuff apart and put it back together I don't give a damn if it's 25 teeth or 2500 teeth and as smooth as a hookers ass.
View Quote

You could easily tell. A good fine tooth ratchet has virtually no wasted Movement. Half the swing of the craftsman ratchet does nothing which makes it a pain to use in tight spaces because you’re lucky to get one ratchet click on the head for movement. And they have a lot of drag so you have to  hold the socket when the fastener start getting loose or it won’t ratchet.  Fine tooth ratchet puts all the movement your not wasting into torque on the fastener.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 12:22:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By batmanacw:

BTW: speaking of 72 teeth

Just buy it. The head is tiny. Very low backdrag. I use this same ratchet for work every day. Everyone loves it....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256399123533?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=TwHj-7tvSKa&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=JI3B3TI3SPu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
View Quote

This is the truth.  I picked one up having used USA Craftsman my entire career and was instantly a believer.  I bought the standard length afterwards, then a stubby Nepros 3/8.  I don't worry about beating up the KTM but the Nepros is so nice that I don't use it very much.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#5]
The two brands mentioned in the video (which was thankfully devoid of self-promotion!) are new to me. Where is the best place to buy them? I am also a tool whore, albeit somewhat in recovery.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 12:26:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:
@batamancw what are you doing for power tools?
View Quote

I use Milwaukee but that in no way means I would not be perfectly happy with any other quality brands.

I find Milwaukee to be reliable quality.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 12:27:13 PM EDT
[#7]

He thought he had a point, but i own 3 other Nepros ratchets.
View Quote

No, my point still stands.  You create thread after thread talking up tools you have ordered but haven't put your hands on.  And Then you get your panties in a bunch when somebody thinks its funny.  How bout next time, order the tool and wait a few days for it to show up so you can tell us based on actual experience?

I think you just get so excited about it, you have to tell somebody.  But your excitement doesn't equate to actual experience.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 12:28:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 1969GTX:
I have the 3/8" version. It might even be a 1/4" ratchet with 3/8" guts.
https://i.postimg.cc/SRpKWN6X/20231119-173509.jpg
View Quote

I have the Hazet 916HP and 916HPL. I also have the standard 3/8 version.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 12:30:23 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

You would instant notice the difference.  If I lay a Nepros or KTM ratchet on the table with the square drive facing up, I can grab the square and rotate it without the ratchet moving on the table.  There is a "feel" to a quality ratchet and only having to move it 4degrees to get the next click comes in incredibly handy in tight spaces.

If you've ever found yourself in a situation where an old 36tooth ratchet can't reach the next because the handle hits something you'll understand why more teeth is better.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 12:32:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheTallest] [#10]
Originally Posted By DrDover:

We can tell you have never used a quality ratchet and do not use tools for a living by your post.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

We can tell you have never used a quality ratchet and do not use tools for a living by your post.

And you'd be wrong. I've used ratchets every day for the past 24 years at work. I may not be a mechanic but my job requires me to take apart certain fire sprinkler valves and the use of ratchets, pipe wrenches, screw drivers, adjustable wrenches etc.. is a requirement. Even when I was in the fire alarm side of the business I still used ratchets.

You aren't wrong about me not using quality ratchets. I just used whatever I had.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 12:32:27 PM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Torque556:

OP is a tool whore, just like me.  You wither enjoy high quality tools, or you don't really care as long as they work.  There tends to be no in-between.

That's true but the feel, ratcheting mechanism, and minutia that make the Tekton and Nepros better than the old craftsman. I have multiple old craftsman sets that were given to me by my dad. They're great sets but fall short of the Tekton and Nepros.

You've never been stuck trying to get a ratchet to work on a semi-loose fastener but it won't click into the next tooth with no way to hold the socket?
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 12:33:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Those prices

I'll go be poor some place else.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 12:34:42 PM EDT
[#13]

You've never been stuck trying to get a ratchet to work on a semi-loose fastener but it won't click into the next tooth with no way to hold the socket?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Torque556:

OP is a tool whore, just like me.  You wither enjoy high quality tools, or you don't really care as long as they work.  There tends to be no in-between.

That's true but the feel, ratcheting mechanism, and minutia that make the Tekton and Nepros better than the old craftsman. I have multiple old craftsman sets that were given to me by my dad. They're great sets but fall short of the Tekton and Nepros.

Well yeah, but I've always made it work to get the job done.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Emoto:
The two brands mentioned in the video (which was thankfully devoid of self-promotion!) are new to me. Where is the best place to buy them? I am also a tool whore, albeit somewhat in recovery.
View Quote

I've gotten them through Amazon, DRPD, Haus Of Tools and PalMac

Watch for sales and compare prices.  Some items are cheaper at one site than others and sometimes you'll have to order from several vendors to get the best prices.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Agreed, the fine tooth ratchets have a much lower drag and are like night and day difference to use. Most of my tools are Snap-On but they are decades old back from when I still worked in the automotive
industry. Those older era ratchets were mostly low tooth count and while they did the job back then, the more modern ratchets I've bought since blow the old ones away in performance.

The problem is that modern era vehicles are tighter/more crowded to work on so the higher the ratchet tooth count, the better.  That's because the ratchet handle has to move less to engage the next tooth. So when you’re in a tight situation you’ll be able to take things apart that you might not be able to with a low tooth count ratchet that has a larger swing arc.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 12:39:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By torstin:
And I want to know what you build and service with all of these tools.

90% of the time I can tell if it's one of your threads just from the title.

View All Quotes
@batamancw what are you doing for power tools?

I calibrate and fine tune industrial equipment for a living, although most of my threads are about home and work tools. My job takes me all over the lower 48.

At home I have a hobby machine shop, I do most of my own automotive work, whatever comes my way.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I will stick with my german Hazet ratchets.... You can have that inferior Japanese junk!
View Quote

Love my Hazet tools too.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#18]
90 teeth are not enough.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 12:42:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I really need a 3/8" drive in a 1/4" body ratchet. And more boxes for my sockets. Love me some weird wacky japanese tools.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 12:43:47 PM EDT
[#20]
It's a ratchet. You use it to turn bolts and nuts. Then it gets tossed in a tool box. I've been using US made Craftsman ratchets for the past 24 or so years. Never had an issue and they get the job done.

I don't need a work of art to take stuff apart or put stuff together. I need a tool.
View Quote
Pretty much this

I guess some people use tools and some people collect tools.....
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#21]
It's a ratchet. You use it to turn bolts and nuts. Then it gets tossed in a tool box. I've been using US made Craftsman ratchets for the past 24 or so years. Never had an issue and they get the job done.

I don't need a work of art to take stuff apart or put stuff together. I need a tool.
View Quote

Craftsman 44951. Go price one.

Then go price an equivalent Icon, Nepros, Snap-On, whatever.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 12:48:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By APBullet:
Those prices

View Quote

They aren't cheap but comparable to Snap-On and other high end tools.  The trick is to only buy what you need little at a time and not try to replace an entire cheap set at once.  What ratchet do you most commonly use?  That's where you start.  If you don't see the benefit of the increased quality then don't buy any more.  If you do see it, you will want the set.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#23]
I have the stubby 1/4" and the 3/8" in the same body. A nice quality ratchet.

Link to the 1/4.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By giantpune:

No, my point still stands.  You create thread after thread talking up tools you have ordered but haven't put your hands on.  And Then you get your panties in a bunch when somebody thinks its funny.  How bout next time, order the tool and wait a few days for it to show up so you can tell us based on actual experience?

I think you just get so excited about it, you have to tell somebody.  But your excitement doesn't equate to actual experience.
View Quote

You don't have to click on my threads.

You would tell someone to buy a tool based upon extensive experience with a brand and type of tool. You don't have to buy a SnapOff ratchet to know they are quality.  I don't own a SnapOff, but I have used one and I can say that they make a good ratchet.

I've got 3 Nepros ratchets. I can reasonably advise people to purchase their products based on my previous experience.  I can reasonably recommend specific ratchets from Koken Z-series, KTC, Hazet, Nepros, Gear Wrench, and Wera.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 12:53:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Stealthy_Waffle:
I really need a 3/8" drive in a 1/4" body ratchet. And more boxes for my sockets. Love me some weird wacky japanese tools.
View Quote

I have the Nepros compact 3/8, which is the 1/4 body. Nice little ratchet.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By FJB247:

They aren't cheap but comparable to Snap-On and other high end tools.  The trick is to only buy what you need little at a time and not try to replace an entire cheap set at once.  What ratchet do you most commonly use?  That's where you start.  If you don't see the benefit of the increased quality then don't buy any more.  If you do see it, you will want the set.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By APBullet:
Those prices

I got a bug up my ass about my 1/4 drive set. I bought a set of shallow, semi-deep, deep, and universal sockets in Koken nut grip sockets. In 1/4 drive I'll never break a socket.

When I'm using my 1/4 drive sockets I'm in tight quarters and often cannot reach the fastener. Holding on to the fastener is a huge deal.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 12:59:13 PM EDT
[#27]

I've gotten them through Amazon, DRPD, Haus Of Tools and PalMac

Watch for sales and compare prices.  Some items are cheaper at one site than others and sometimes you'll have to order from several vendors to get the best prices.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 1:04:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By AnalogKid:

View All Quotes

The 44951 is a combination wrench, not a ratchet. Unless I'm missing something?
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 1:07:35 PM EDT
[#29]
I like nepros sockets
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 1:18:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Recently got my first Nepros order, straight from Japan.

They are amazing quality. I love the flush release button. (Although I think on the 1/4" drive ones, the release
button does stick up a little?)
Will definitely be adding some more to the collection in time. I might buy the neXT "skeleton" ratchet for
my son for Christmas, just because it's such a cool looking tool.

Link Posted: 10/13/2024 1:24:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By tifosi:
Recently got my first Nepros order, straight from Japan.

They are amazing quality. I love the flush release button. (Although I think on the 1/4" drive ones, the release
button does stick up a little?)
Will definitely be adding some more to the collection in time. I might buy the neXT "skeleton" ratchet for
my son for Christmas, just because it's such a cool looking tool.

https://i.postimg.cc/QxTK59RK/20241013-131204.jpg
View Quote

The Nepros universal is a jewel. It cannot collapse as it's limited to 60⁰. One of the best things they sell.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 1:34:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Gspointer:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/315192/IMG_4758_png-3348553.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/315192/IMG_4761_png-3348554.JPG
These are art. These have had the absolute crap beat out of them. Still function 100%
View Quote
My problem with Snap-On (other than the insane pricing) is the distribution model.
The truck is not going to come to my house. Sure, I can buy stuff online through their own website,
but then you're paying full MSRP, which you wouldn't be if buying off the truck. So if you're a DIY guy, you get screwed.

I can find stuff used or on eBay, but then Snap-On won't honor the warranty.

Look at Wright Tools for example, (Yes, they don't make nearly the variety of stuff that Snap-On does...)
but they are made in the USA, just as high quality, half the price, and I can get their tools on Amazon.

I'd buy Snap-On if they made it easy and reasonable to buy, but they don't.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 1:37:41 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

My bad - 49951. Wrong P/N.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

See these threads:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/My-quest-to-buy-a-tank-project-thread-4-23-24-entire-axle-drive-train-teardown-coming/134-2332527/

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Resto-thread-mowag-Roland-update-4-15-lower-front-driver-station-steer-gear-painted/134-2570910/

Originally Posted By Gspointer:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/315192/IMG_4758_png-3348553.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/315192/IMG_4761_png-3348554.JPG

Snap on makes a quality tool.

The problem is they charge for that quality and it’s a bit out of my reach as a backyard tech.

Link Posted: 10/13/2024 2:23:24 PM EDT
[#35]
@batmanacw

I always enjoy these threads, I believe I have purchased a few items you have shown us.

What type of work do you do that requires all these tools, many of them 1/4 drive? Just curious.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 2:25:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Odd… that doesn’t appear to be a GearWrench 120XP.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 2:32:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Did Cornwell close their Ohio plant?
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 2:50:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MontstrSp] [#38]
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:
Pretty much this

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:

Pretty much this

It's a rifle. You use it to shoot bullets. Then it gets put back in the safe. I've been using a Ruger for the past 24 years or so. Never had an issue and it gets the job done.

I don't need a work of art to propel pieces of metal. I need a rifle. Same thing right?

I use a clunky old Craftsman 1/2" ratchet basically every day. The bolts it turns are usually somewhat corroded or rusty. The trusty old "clink clunk clunk" as it finds the next tooth is like a cup of hot chocolate on a cold day. However, sometimes bolts spin too freely for this ratchet, and they're too tight or inaccesible to spin with your fingers.
    THAT'S when the fancy-pants $125 ratchet comes out. It will ratchet without holding the socket with a finger, or putting axial pressure on the handle to bind up the bolt or nut so the ratchet will function properly. Sometimes, it's invaluable and a lifesaver.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By anymanusa:
Too long.
View Quote

With no swivel head.

Gross.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 2:53:52 PM EDT
[#40]

If you saw the Nepros up close, it is sick how near perfect the Nepros is.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/110628/Screenshot_20241013_084038_eBay_jpg-3348418.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FGracing:
Just as good gold plated.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/184999/IMG_6440_png-3348415.JPG

If you saw the Nepros up close, it is sick how near perfect the Nepros is.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/110628/Screenshot_20241013_084038_eBay_jpg-3348418.JPG

That's nice
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By MontstrSp:

It's a rifle. You use it to shoot bullets. Then it gets put back in the safe. I've been using a Ruger for the past 24 years or so. Never had an issue and it gets the job done.

I don't need a work of art to propel pieces of metal. I need a rifle. Same thing right?

I use a clunky old Craftsman 1/2" ratchet basically every day. The bolts it turns are usually somewhat corroded or rusty. The trusty old "clink clunk clunk" as it finds the next tooth is like a cup of hot chocolate on a cold day. However, sometimes bolts spin too freely for this ratchet, and they're too tight or inaccesible to spin with your fingers.
    THAT'S when the fancy-pants $125 ratchet comes out. It will ratchet without holding the socket with a finger, or putting axial pressure on the handle to bind up the bolt or nut so the ratchet will function properly. Sometimes, it's invaluable and a lifesaver.
View Quote
Also, as men, we don't ever need a compelling reason to buy a new tool (or gun). It *never* needs to be justified!
Kind of comes with the territory of having testicles and all that.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 2:57:46 PM EDT
[#42]
My problem with Snap-On (other than the insane pricing) is the distribution model.
The truck is not going to come to my house. Sure, I can buy stuff online through their own website,
but then you're paying full MSRP, which you wouldn't be if buying off the truck. So if you're a DIY guy, you get screwed.

Look at Wright Tools for example, (Yes, they don't make nearly the variety of stuff that Snap-On does...)
but they are made in the USA, just as high quality, half the price, and I can get their tools on Amazon.

I'd buy Snap-On if they made it easy and reasonable to buy, but they don't.
View Quote

The usual reason they don’t manufacture similar is due to patents. Until patents expire they won’t have a competitor.  Snap on usually gets around this by buying out the patent holder.  They’ve gotten Bahco’s ratchet patents by buying them and have done the same with Asian companies as well.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 3:03:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By RC03:

With no swivel head.

Gross.
View Quote

I was disappointed to learn the KTC doesn't make a 1/4" swivel head, because the 3/8" is fantastic.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 3:07:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By bmarshall1:
@batmanacw

I always enjoy these threads, I believe I have purchased a few items you have shown us.

What type of work do you do that requires all these tools, many of them 1/4 drive? Just curious.
View Quote

For work i use 3/8 with a few 1/4 sockets.

The 1/4" drive stuff is just for my home use.

My old 1/4 sets were Benchtop and sears brand with no internal detent for retention.  I'm simply no longer interested in using them. I avoided using them in some cases because they pop off so easily.

I did buy a nice Wera short and deep well set, but honestly I needed multiple sets so I am building out a complete Koken nut grip set.

I have pretty comprehensive sets in my garage and fab shop. A smaller set of tools in the machine shop.  That ends up being a lot of tools so I don't have to waste time walking up to 40 ft each time I need a different tool.

As to the stuff I work on? Whatever. Lots of odd stuff to work on with my lathes and mills and occasional customer parts. Grandkids bicycles, family members cars, Amish water pumps, really whatever.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 3:09:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By VeryAverage:
Odd… that doesn’t appear to be a GearWrench 120XP.
View Quote

I have a flex head GW 120XP. It's nice. I wish the head angle detents were smaller. The first click tips the handle a lot.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Szilagyi-hpg:
I like nepros sockets
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/402525/IMG_8324_jpeg-3348600.JPG
View Quote

I really like those Carlyle ratchets @Szilagyi-hpg, last four ratchets I bought were all Carlyle.  I would never pay what NAPA is asking retail but they blow them out the door every four or five months.  Not quite as nice as some of the other ratchets I own but very decent.  Much better quality than the newer made in USA SK ratchets I own.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 3:12:02 PM EDT
[#47]

I was disappointed to learn the KTC doesn't make a 1/4" swivel head, because the 3/8" is fantastic.
View All Quotes

With no swivel head.

Gross.

I'd love to see a 1/4 drive in the KTC swivel head. I think he means a flex head.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 3:15:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Jeffg:

I really like those Carlyle ratchets @Szilagyi-hpg, last four ratchets I bought were all Carlyle.  I would never pay what NAPA is asking retail but they blow them out the door every four or five months.  Not quite as nice as some of the other ratchets I own but very decent.  Much better quality than the newer made in USA SK ratchets I own.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jeffg:
Originally Posted By Szilagyi-hpg:
I like nepros sockets
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/402525/IMG_8324_jpeg-3348600.JPG

You won't believe how much smaller the KTC  BR3W3L is than the swivel head Carlyle.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256399123533?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=TwHj-7tvSKa&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=JI3B3TI3SPu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 3:21:48 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

With no swivel head.

Gross.

I had several of my smaller 1/4 snap in ratchets converted to 3/8. I barely use 1/4 anymore.  You're right,  they make a great ratchet too.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 3:37:44 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

I've never had a single problem with Snap-On warranty.  I can't remember where I bought half the tools I've had for 8-10 years or more.  I simply told them that on the phone if they asked and they just said to send them in, all were replaced with new.  
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top