Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:52:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:

he sued and won biggly. IBM admitted in court it was their normal tactic and simply cheaper to pay out the guys that sued them rather than pay the pension and benefits for the majority of guys that would just walk away from it.
View Quote

Yep.  And there are caps on what you can get suing, something like $300K max.  IBM (and many others) who claim to be employee friendly are simply lying and will screw you in a heartbeat with age discrimination and dare you to sue.  Even if they win, IBM will save money long term.  The company is a shell of its former self, can't innovate and is getting killed by competitors (their "growth" over the last few years hasn't kept up with inflation), but hey, the CEO is still getting $20M/yr, so who cares?
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:54:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Gelandewagen:

Business Unit VP is Indian? 12 months later his whole staff is Indian.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gelandewagen:
Originally Posted By jwnc:
OP has caught on to what's been going on for over a decade.  Older white men are being replaced by DEI hires or youngsters.

Business Unit VP is Indian? 12 months later his whole staff is Indian.

This x100 in Silicon Valley.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Rampant in tech. But then again most people job hop to get their promotion, not sit around waiting for it to happen. The young generation figured it out already.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Idk about this age/class warfare in the work environment.  We focus and center on performance.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I see it.
takes money to get guys, find guys and to keep guys. oh well.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:06:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
i put the IED training on mute and make $75/hr to zone out and dream about food and/or our Queen.

https://i.redd.it/whlydhl4zzu91.jpg
View All Quotes
OP has caught on to what's been going on for over a decade.  Older white men are being replaced by DEI hires or youngsters.

We have seen it all.  We don't make the mistakes that the youngsters do, therefore we were paid more.  Nope, not any more.

The companies do it at their own risk, but that doesn't help if you are unemployed.
i put the IED training on mute and make $75/hr to zone out and dream about food and/or our Queen.

She looks familiar.  Was/is a member here?
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:06:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By FlyingIllini:
Don't care, I'm within a year or two of retiring and then they can all fuck off.
View Quote

End of this year for me.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#8]
One of my 20 something sons worked an online juggernaut retailer during college at nights, then a BS degree in Finance.  Every time he looked to get promoted or moved an obvious DEI hire w/o any experience got the position.

Said employer has been losing a metric shit ton of qualified talent including my kid, luckily he scored a great opportunity with what sounds like a great company.  To think that DEI flew through Fortune 500 board rooms with approval, JFC.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I hate to say it, but 87% of people who claim ageism, racism, etc. are just creating narratives to cope.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:12:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3impleman] [#10]
Originally Posted By RC03:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RC03:

We have seen it all.  We don't make the mistakes that the youngsters do, therefore we were paid more.  Nope, not any more.

The companies do it at their own risk, but that doesn't help if you are unemployed.

leanbeefpatty?
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:13:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Not my experience.

Sometimes it still pays to apply with new companies. It is easier to start at a higher salary than get a raise once you have been at the same place going on ten years. Allow someone else to appreciate and compete for your experience.

Of course a good track record and stable work history helps.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I dont want a promotion.. been up the middle management route before... fuck that, never again.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:15:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spidey07] [#13]
Originally Posted By fike:
I hate to say it, but 87% of people who claim ageism, racism, etc. are just creating narratives to cope.
View Quote

Discrimination based on age is VERY real.  And it’s not new by any means.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Huh.  

I figured I got passed over for promotion because I’m a loser with a skinny wiener.  Maybe it was age related though.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:17:14 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Nope.  When your org lays off 8 people out of 200 or so and none are under 57 and 6 of 8 are over 65, it's not a narrative, it's reality.  Especially when you know people who have maxxed out every metric for four or five years and they have only been given glowing reviews (not much in raises, but glowing reviews).
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:19:04 PM EDT
[#16]
In other news (it’s damn near 50% age discrimination/young workers suck), young workers suck and are unreliable.

This is just clickbait old vs young propaganda. Same shit, different day.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:21:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By doolyd:
Well, if I am being honest, at 49 yrs old I am not as sharp as I was in my late 20's.  Used to struggle working with older people who could barely work a computer and now I find myself to be that person.  Oh well.  Life sucks.  What can I say.
View Quote

It’s a shame you didn’t level up over the years and have made yourself an expendable liability.

“Time and tides wait for no man.”

-Chaucer
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:24:48 PM EDT
[#18]
young know it all kid at my place lost his license for a year. now i got him with me all day
and its fkn misery. cant put his phone down, cant find him at times...lol he was hired to drive.
but owner wont can the kid i guess he feels bad for him. so my 40 year at the company ass gets to suffer.
today he was actually decent. i laughed when he told me he is tired... lol arent we all kid.
tired,,, he has a long road in front of him.

Originally Posted By www-glock19-com:
Company I work cannot find anyone under 40 that can pass a drug test , has a valid driver's license , and has a driving record clean enough to get covered by insurance.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:27:48 PM EDT
[#19]
same here. im in a good place in life, good balance etc. lots of time to shoot and enjoy life.
and still make some money.

Originally Posted By spidey07:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:28:14 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

Sure.

I have seen/heard both sides of the story quite a few times and it’s almost always an older person who has gotten lazy or behind in knowledge/technology.

Undoubtedly, it happens strictly because of age, but to pretend that it isn’t often skill based is pretty bad.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:39:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Skilled machine tool/building trades guy here.

People getting hired on for too close to experienced money has been going on since God was a boy, especially in challenging labor markets like this one. I’m doing fairly well by hourly standards at my plant and they don’t dare fuck with me because of my experience, but I’m not the kind of employee that takes advantage of that and understand that when things slow down, expensive employees are the first to get scrutinized, even those with 20 years in like me.

I could change jobs and spend the rest of my career proving my value and worth for a few bucks more, or I could stay where they know what I can do for them and both of us are comfortable with the arrangement,
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:45:36 PM EDT
[#22]
The Trades, at least in my case, don’t seem to work that way. I’m TRYING to teach worthy kids to replace me.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:04:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By sparky923:
The Trades, at least in my case, don't seem to work that way. I'm TRYING to teach worthy kids to replace me.
View Quote
I agree.  In the trades you pretty much have to be eldery before your slowing speed over powers your accumulated wisdom. Often even then you mentor the young strong and dumb youngsters, because trades take 20 years to master. Every job is a cert.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:18:18 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm 54 and the most experienced, most credentialed Technologist in my Department.

no.. I will not take on Management Duties or other duties without a bump in pay.
no.. I will not change my schedule to accommodate Managements inability to hire competent employee's without a pay increase.

they use those metrics to dangle the carrot for a future raise. its always "Future Pay Increase"

Corps do not want to pay those older than 50 for numerous reasons. they want the expertise and experience, but they do not want an employee who is knowledgeable in using the word " NO'.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:24:25 PM EDT
[#25]
What I see is the current batch of 40+ year old employees think they can do like their parents did and be loyal employees and ride on seniority.  The problem with that is the younger generations use the squeaky wheel getting the grease to their advantage by constantly harping on what they want.  I've done well for myself as I approach 50 but I am a shameless self promoter and am aware of how much my company values me so know just how much to push. I also think that a good bit of people in their 40s are on the cusp of the timeframe where loyalty to company paid off and I personally make sure my bosses know that I love the company I work for but I fully understand that they will post my job before my body is cold if I die tomorrow and I make my decision to stay with that in mind.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#26]
What workers? Doing what?

There are a scary number of people in jobs where seniority alone gets pay raises. They cost their companies a lot of money.

Whether they stay relevant, remain relevant, or are just perceived as relevant is another question.

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:25:46 PM EDT
[#27]
hell yeah bruthur.gif
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By uncle_big_green:
I got a decent raise today out of the blue (and because I sometimes do a decent job ).
hell yeah bruthur.gif

I should buy something, right?
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:27:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Trout_Hunter:

Do you have any idea when email started being used regularly? This is for those over 40. Not those over 70.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Trout_Hunter:
Originally Posted By UTex86:
> Refuses to use that gat dang email
> Mad the zoomer makes 50% more

Do you have any idea when email started being used regularly? This is for those over 40. Not those over 70.

Most of ARFCOM is probably age 60+, so not far off
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:29:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Danted:
all the skipped over guys should get together and start their own company. They have all the knowledge just becuase they are tired and hate change shoudnt stop them.
View Quote

Lots probably signed noncompete agreements
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, if I am being honest, at 49 yrs old I am not as sharp as I was in my late 20's.  Used to struggle working with older people who could barely work a computer and now I find myself to be that person.  Oh well.  Life sucks.  What can I say.
View Quote
I am a month away from 50 and I'm not as nimble as some younger counterparts on the new platforms but I make sure I know enough to speak the language and be able to produce within those platforms.   That tactic has paid off well
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#31]
By the time you’re 50+ a promotion is the last thing you should want. Do all that ladder climbing shit in your 30s and 40s. By 50 your 401k money should be compounding enough so your accumulation phase should be over.

The goal is to spend your 50s either retired or as the individual contributor who knows where the bodies are buried, if you still need an income.

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:37:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheOtherDave] [#32]
Originally Posted By sparky923:
The Trades, at least in my case, don’t seem to work that way. I’m TRYING to teach worthy kids to replace me.
View Quote

Same. Journeyman Tool and Die maker currently building automated processes at a stamping company.

The only young kids I see that have any gas in their ass at all are the engineering interns I get every year. The people they tried to hire and retain to take my job when I retire? They were both older than me and couldn’t prioritize being at work over being high.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:38:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Anybody that hasn’t looked for higher pay as a new hire in the last 4 years has a good chance of being paid less than new hires, regardless of either’s age
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:39:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By MikeMilligan:
By the time you're 50+ a promotion is the last thing you should want. Do all that ladder climbing shit in your 30s and 40s. By 50 your 401k money should be compounding enough so your accumulation phase should be over.

The goal is to spend your 50s either retired or as the individual contributor who knows where the bodies are buried, if you still need an income.

View Quote
This is my goal.  I'm hitting fifty next month and don't plan to work for anyone but me in the next 5 years. Even while I'm still at my job I'm making sure they want me to be there more than I want to be there.  My company has treated me well for 16 years but I'm about done.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:40:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#35]
View Quote

Lol I'm older that you are and I have to fix half the 20 year old workers PCs after every windows 11 update wipes out their web app settings. And I'm not even IT. If it's not an iPhone, they have no fucking idea!

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:43:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Happy_Hour_Hero:
Anybody that hasn't looked for higher pay as a new hire in the last 4 years has a good chance of being paid less than new hires, regardless of either's age
View Quote
I get recruiters reaching out all the time lately wanting to talk about positions with more, on paper, responsibilities than my current job and the pay they offer including bonus is less than 2/3 of my current base
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:43:22 PM EDT
[#37]
I am GenX and I hope they dont lump me in the worthless boomers we hate them too.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:50:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Airborne11B:
41 year old white cybersecurity guy here….haven’t had any issues getting promotions or into higher pay bands….and this is with me just getting into the field when I was 35…maybe the people refuse to put in the work to maintain or improve the skills at their jobs?

I’ve taken and gotten 4 major SANS and ISC2 certifications over the last two years (besides the 4 I already had since 2018)…yeah it’s extra work but it makes me more valuable and gives me the leeway to ask for more money or threaten to walk to someone who will.

I started at 75k fresh out of college and out of the Army in mid 2018 and now I make 150(ish).

View Quote

You'll see it in about 10 years
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:50:25 PM EDT
[#39]
All companies need boomers and Millennials to talk on the phone with a live person.

Zoomers can’t talk on the phone with out an anxiety attack.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:50:51 PM EDT
[#40]
I’m in a sales / relationship management role.  If I want a raise I go get a new client.  I don’t need a promotion.  It’s residual so each new client I add my monthly income goes up.  

Also being 50 in my industry is an asset. It’s the young ones that struggle.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#41]

100%. I’ve met plenty of CISSPs and CISSMs that were borderline fuckin retarded.

I’m in a pretty niche cyber field for the USG (satellite and ground station security) and a lot of our ingest stuff is going to the cloud as well as SDRs (software defined radios). If you don’t take certs, my job will leave your ass behind with a quickness and I’m not even the one in the weeds…I’m the guy evaluating risk and architecture for 18 different LEO/GEO/LaGrange birds and associated ground/secure ingest systems.
View Quote

Oh, I love it when everyone on my cyber security team stacks stupid certs and don't know how or when to perform a basic Nmap scan.  I know damn well that all of those certs make you memorize Nmap switches.

I decided to only go for difficult certs that actually interest me and teach me advanced info.  Of course managers don't care about those.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 10:01:01 PM EDT
[#42]
When I was at Intuit, it was being a white male that led to being passed over.  Women?  Everywhere you looked, women.  My senior manager was a woman, and all the other managers at my level on her team were women.  When she brought back seasonal manager?  ALL early returners were the women she had the year before.  16 total managers for season had 4 men.

Glad to be gone from Intuit.  Got a massive severance and had a new job before I was off payroll.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 10:02:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UTex86] [#43]
Originally Posted By MDI:
I’m in a sales / relationship management role.  If I want a raise I go get a new client.  I don’t need a promotion.  It’s residual so each new client I add my monthly income goes up.  

View Quote

I’m not 40 yet but this is where I’m at. Oddly enough I’m one of the OGs in the office based on tenure. We are a young office and the top territory by far.

None of the headaches of management and uncapped income based on my production.

If I retire in this role that’s fine with me.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

not the case in my field.
they want to hire the young folks, without certifications as much as possible.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 10:09:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By MDI:

View Quote

I wish I could hold out that "Test Result" for a pay bump.

that Malaria I just saw... gonna be extra on that CBC.

how about that CBC with Blasts on it. thats gonna be a Franklin.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 10:10:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By crashburnrepeat:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By crashburnrepeat:
41 year old white cybersecurity guy here .haven't had any issues getting promotions or into higher pay bands .and this is with me just getting into the field when I was 35 maybe the people refuse to put in the work to maintain or improve the skills at their jobs?

I've taken and gotten 4 major SANS and ISC2 certifications over the last two years (besides the 4 I already had since 2018) yeah it's extra work but it makes me more valuable and gives me the leeway to ask for more money or threaten to walk to someone who will.

I started at 75k fresh out of college and out of the Army in mid 2018 and now I make 150(ish).

With his work ethic he likely won't.  He will get loaded with work but will do just fine
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 10:14:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Cpt_Kirks:

Zoomers don't email.

They text.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cpt_Kirks:
Originally Posted By UTex86:
> Refuses to use that gat dang email
> Mad the zoomer makes 50% more

Zoomers don't email.

They text.

Yes. They text and giggle at their desk. It made me want to break a chair over their head.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 10:20:40 PM EDT
[#48]
By the time you’re 50+ a promotion is the last thing you should want. Do all that ladder climbing shit in your 30s and 40s. By 50 your 401k money should be compounding enough so your accumulation phase should be over.

View Quote

this is exactly what I'm doing.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 10:22:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By bullsi191145:
Ageism is real, and it will happen to you at some point.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 10:23:06 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

Some of the most miserable people I worked with in tech were those that maxed out their 401's, Roth's, and other investments and penny pinched all their lives and didn't live a little. Not saying it's a bad thing, but these people were majorly depressed, saying they couldn't afford anything and so on.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top