BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: Today 9:38:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By merick:

Accuracy is relative. One game's A zone hit is another's -4.  

For that matter shooting a zone groups would put you on the wrong target face in 10m air pistol.
View Quote

Bullseye is a bad comparison, the thread subject is CCW and how competition shooting may affect it, if at all.  Bullseye doesn't apply at all.
Link Posted: Today 9:39:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By TheRealBluedog:
It’s really hard to consider your question when you don’t cite any examples. I can’t think of anything on my carry guns that is there because of competitive shooting. A nicer trigger? OK. One of the reasons I chose the P365X over the Glock G43X was that I preferred the trigger. But I certainly wouldn’t call it a competition trigger.
View Quote

I also have the P365x, though I have the Wilson Combat grip module for it.  That has more agressive texturing on the front and back, and a slightly flared magwell (the flaring doesn't make the base wider at all, its largely on the back).  I would say that being able to hold the gun better and insert a new mag faster helps with both competition and EDC scenarios.  

Similarly a red dot helps with sight picture, I believe, and getting a better sight picture faster helps in both competition and EDC.  

Competition guns also used to add weight towads the muzzel to reduce muzzel rise.  I guess my flashlight does that to an extent, but I mostly just have it for target identification purposes.  

I've shot 2 gun and IDPA matches, and if anything I would say that matches with rule sets as old as IDPA have been left behind by the guns on the market.  The ammo capacity and factory features of EDC guns basically clasify them as race guns that IDPA tried to ban when it was founded.  And yet the P365X is undeniably an EDC pistol.  I kind of want to put a threaded barrel and comp on it, but that will make it ineligable to shoot in IDPA.  If I choose to go that route, I'll just switch to a different, more modern pistol match like Steel Challenge.

Overall, I think the desire for more modular guns with easier modifications and extensive aftermarket support could be attributed to competitive shooting, but it makes my EDC pistol better, not worse.  And there are still matches where I can shoot it no matter how much I modify it.
Link Posted: Today 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:

That's not my question.  My question is which designs are more forgiving of unsafe handling.  There is no substitute for knowledge and personal responsibility.  But, I've seen enough videos of people shooting the floor, their leg, their dick, whatever to know that some people struggle with safe gun handling.  These people shouldn't carry guns.  

But I wonder how many of these incidences would have been avoided if they had been using a different kind of gun?
View Quote

We should probably go ahead and limit automobiles to 30 mph, maybe 20, wouldn’t want anyone to get hurt in case someone misuses them and it would give bad drivers more time to react to road conditions and reduce the severity of accidents.
Link Posted: Today 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#4]
“Has wanting to be more accurate while shooting faster negatively influenced the situation where you need to shoot fast and accurately?”
Link Posted: Today 9:45:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Never_A_Wick] [#5]
Originally Posted By R_S:
It seems that certain foolish people like to use pistols without a firing pin block (drop safety) because they have a lighter trigger.  That's bad for competition or carry.  Then you have that company advertising their drop safety free pistol as a "duty gun" while charging top dollar for a death trap
View Quote

Same old same old in every competition shooting thread.
Link Posted: Today 9:46:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not really contributing much to the topic but.

I know a guy that has appendix carried a full size staccato with an acro every day for the last year.
Link Posted: Today 9:47:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 42ATK:
“Has wanting to be more accurate while shooting faster negatively influenced the situation where you need to shoot fast and accurately?”
View Quote

Link Posted: Today 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:

Running outside of a fault line or shooting box isn't gaming at all.  

Sometimes it's even required as part of the stage design.
View Quote

Nah, homie.  Moving is gaming.
Link Posted: Today 9:48:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:

I know a guy that has appendix carried a full size staccato with an acro every day for the last year.
View Quote

A number of guys here shoot matches AIWB with full size guns.  They don't have any issues.

Me, my gut is a bit much for that LOL.
Link Posted: Today 9:49:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:

Nah, homie.  Moving is gaming.
View Quote

Notably, no one has defined it yet.

I'm sure the next example will be "well he shot the targets in a different order than everyone else.  Gamer!"

Link Posted: Today 9:51:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By MFP_4073:

that's excellent.  i wonder what percentage you represent though.   i wonder if its even 5%.  

i'm sure that most competitive shooters are more highly skilled anyway (than the average joe with a 642 shoved in his pocket) -- so it probably doesn't matter much anyway...
View Quote
When I shot IDPA, I shot my carry gun, a 1911 CCO.

When I do drills at the range today, it's with my carry gun, a P365XL, even if my focus is rifle drills.

If I got back into competitive pistol shooting, I would probably upsize a bit, but that gun would also become my carry gun at that point.

Link Posted: Today 9:53:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:

Well things like the shift away from some of the DAO and DA/SA actions, for starters.  Few competitive shooters are going to want 2 different trigger pulls.  But arguably this is much safer for a carry gun that will most likely be used at melee distances. For example, Smith and Wesson's site has a concealed carry filter and all of the semiautos there are striker fired.  They used to make DA/SA guns but no longer do.

Prior to the explosion of Glock onto the scene (lol) many manufacturers made DA/SA guns.  But the cheaper to manufacture polymer framed striker fired guns have taken over the industry.  I think part of the popularity is they are more affordable.  Another part of it is the consistent trigger pull.  

So I think the shift away from the DA/SA action was driven by factors other than suitability for safe CCW carry and was more driven by economic and competition attributes.
View Quote
I can't think of a time in my 40 years of carry and general carry gun familiarity, that a DAO or DA/SA wasn't considered a poor choice.
Link Posted: Today 9:56:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Give me a specific example.

Safety is a paramount concern in the shooting sports.
View Quote

I *think* OP is referring to carry guns with ports and or comps, optics cuts, and gas pedals.  

Link Posted: Today 10:01:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Lonesome_Dave:

It's just like motor sports.  Most people who compete in the different motor sports don't use their competition vehicle as a daily driver.
View Quote
Horrible analogy. And completely not true.

Link Posted: Today 10:13:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Gaming is acting within the rules to do an atypical action that may offer an advantage.
Link Posted: Today 10:18:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Dumak:

I *think* OP is referring to carry guns with ports and or comps, optics cuts, and gas pedals.  

View Quote

The funny thing is most of those were not legal for non race gun divisions in USPSA and not legal in IDPA , until they became so popular with the Genral gun ow if public, that USPSA and IDPA had to create divisions to allow them (carry optics).

Many manufacturers were making
ported models decades before they made any sense as a competition gun. The G19C had no place in USPSA, except shooting against tuned 2011s. No porting or comps were legal in IDPA for years. Nobody used the Glock C models or Springfield V10s for any mainstream competition.
Link Posted: Today 10:26:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By dogtired:
Gaming is acting within the rules to do an atypical action that may offer an advantage.
View Quote

So… being faster than others.
Link Posted: 10/18/2024 12:07:13 AM EDT
[#18]

So… being faster than others.
View Quote

That’s some of it.

Another method is using loopholes or other things in the rules to shoot a stage in a way that is pretty clearly against the intent of the stage designer, that usually gets an eye roll, but then my answer to that is hey, design the stage so that can’t be done and make the WSB airtight.  It’s that simple.

I have seen some really utterly ridiculous interpretations though, ends up in guys doing something like taking one shot at a plate rack then running up and knocking them down by hand.

MD handed em a big fat zero for the stage
Link Posted: 10/18/2024 12:09:46 AM EDT
[#19]

That’s some of it.

Another method is using loopholes or other things in the rules to shoot a stage in a way that is pretty clearly against the intent of the stage designer, that usually gets an eye roll, but then my answer to that is hey, design the stage so that can’t be done and make the WSB airtight.  It’s that simple.

I have seen some really utterly ridiculous interpretations though, ends up in guys doing something like taking one shot at a plate rack then running up and knocking them down by hand.

MD handed em a big fat zero for the stage
View Quote

wtf
Link Posted: 10/18/2024 12:16:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By TaskForce:

wtf
View Quote

That is what the MD said.

There have been some really creative rules interpretations I’ve seen over the last couple years of shooting USPSA.

Usually those interpretations end up with a rules clarification from NROI
Link Posted: 10/18/2024 12:17:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Ajek:

I hope if I'm ever in a self-defense shooting that I get "a few minutes to devise a plan to quickly and effectively shoot the threat(s)."

Maybe a few walk-throughs, too, just like a stage walk-through.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ajek:
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:

I'll chime in here

Some stages, a lot of the USPSA qualifiers for example, are very simple and require virtually no planning, and have no way to be "gamed." Stand in the box, draw and shoot targets in front of you as fast as you dare. Other stages are more complex with movement and cover, and benefit from stage plannjng.

Stage planning: observe your surroundings, take some of the time available from a few seconds to a few minutes to devise a plan to most quickly and effectively shoot the scenario.

Self defense shooting: observe your surroundings, either react to an immediate threat, or take some of the time available from a few seconds to a few minutes to devise a plan to quickly and effectively shoot the threat(s).

I have to admit that when I first started competition, I viewed the stage planning as negative training. But I have come to learn that it isn't. It teaches you some skills valuable in a gun fight. The biggest one is how to formulate a plan. I make it a point to try to ID the targets and figure out a plan as fast as possible.

And anyone who has been to a competition can easily see that the guys who stage plan better are also the better shooters. Especially shooting on the move and better at staying on the move. Those are good skills to have in a gun fight.

I hope if I'm ever in a self-defense shooting that I get "a few minutes to devise a plan to quickly and effectively shoot the threat(s)."

Maybe a few walk-throughs, too, just like a stage walk-through.
I can show you about 100 OIS videos on yt that have all of the targets plainly visible before the shooting starts for up to minutes.

Stage planning is simply learning to solve a problem with a gun. Even if it's an untimed exercise (you get 4 minutes at majors), there is benefit.
Link Posted: 10/18/2024 12:24:29 AM EDT
[#22]

A number of guys here shoot matches AIWB with full size guns.  They don't have any issues.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:

I'm going to shoot my local AIWB with a 34 this weekend bc of this thread.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top