BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:09:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:
Because people lie, and people scam, and I dont want to get fucked. That simple. Why would you waste your money paying for insurance, when you wouldnt spend a little extra to protect your insurance?

View Quote

I waste my money on insurance because the government requires it.  I don’t want to pay for it, especially since I own my vehicles.  I don’t see my insurance company giving two fucks about what video I may have in the rare case I am involved in an accident.  And for the above posters saying shit may happen even when you are parked, wtf do you know plan on proving or claiming?    Your insurance company will drop your ass if you make a claim even if you weren’t at fault.  I personally do not know anyone that has a dash cam or where a dash cam helped them financially.  I get it, cover your ass, but I think people over estimate the power or benefit of a dash cam.  But please feel free to waste your money on one.
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Ilikepieman:

This is why I don’t see the need for them.  The chance that anyone gives a shit what you caught on video or that it would change the outcome is not worth the cost to me.  I bet you have a better chance and making money on viral video you happen to catch vs it saving you money in an accident/insurance situation.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kevins_garage:

I've had dashcams for many years and been in a few accidents.  I've never once had a cop ask to see my dashcam.  I've never had a cop that would view my dashcam if I offered.  I've never had a cop ticket someone if they decided not to.  I've even opened my phone cam and started videoing the scene while asking the cop why the other party wasn't being ticketed because they were at fault or had no valid insurance, etc...). Every time, the cop has said he doesn't care and it's his discretion as to whether they ticket or not.  I was even rear ended by a driver that had a suspended license and no insurance and all the mi state trooper would do was impound/tow the other drivers vehicle - no tickets were issued.  YMMV.

Anyway, my dashcams have microsd cards that I can pop out and put in my phone to view on the spot anyway.  So wifi isn't an actual necessity to access videos.

This is why I don’t see the need for them.  The chance that anyone gives a shit what you caught on video or that it would change the outcome is not worth the cost to me.  I bet you have a better chance and making money on viral video you happen to catch vs it saving you money in an accident/insurance situation.  

Many (most?) LE will look at it if offered and they can't determine fault without it. If they won't, they're shitbags. Even if no ticket is issued, the video can ensure an insurance payout or a win in civil court.

If the at fault doesn't have insurance, the only thing helping you is your own insurance.
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:13:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:
What kind of cars? There are dash cams that integrate with your rear view mirror and you tap the power off of your rear view mirror. No running of wires and you simply swap a trim piece.

I have a Fit Cam X in my audi:

https://fitcamx.com/

sample of the video quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPve7B9M7gY
View Quote

Thanks for posting that!  They have one that fits my car and I've been thinking too long about getting one...
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:13:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By dangerranger61007:

It's often not easy to determine fault. Cop has no way to know who ran a red light unless witnesses stop. People rear end someone and tryto claim the other person backed into them. I got rear ended by someone who lied and said a 3rd vehicle pushed him into me (he got away with it).  Lane violations are hard to determine.

I know all this and still don't have dashcams. I drive like a bat out of hell and stay hyper attentive, which seems to avoid most trouble.
View Quote

How would a dash cam had affected your outcome?  You got rear ended.  Obviously it wasn’t your fault.  How would a dash can change the way your insurance paid you?
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:13:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Serious question for those with dashcams.  Why don't feel the need to have them?  Have any of you that own one ever needed the footage to help with an insurance or ticket claim?  I would think it'd pretty easy to tell who was at fault for accidents in most cases.  I can't see it helping if the other driver doesn't have insurance.  I just don't see the need for one and would rather put the money towards insurance.
View Quote
Our company runs dash cams in all of our trucks and cranes, they have successfully defended themselves from several lawsuits using the video from those cameras. One road rager was even criminally convicted based on our video after he attempted to force a crane off the road several times then sped ahead a few blocks, parked on a side road and threw a 5 gallon bucket at the windshield of the crane.
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:18:19 PM EDT
[#6]

How would a dash cam had affected your outcome?  You got rear ended.  Obviously it wasn't your fault.  How would a dash can change the way your insurance paid you?
View Quote
Flip it around, there's a well known insurance scam where they'll cut in front of you and slam on the brakes intentionally trying to get you to hit them. Without a camera it will look like you are to blame for following too close. They especially like to target semi trucks and other commercial vehicles because of the amount of insurance we're required to carry.

Link Posted: Yesterday 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#7]

I waste my money on insurance because the government requires it.  I don’t want to pay for it, especially since I own my vehicles.  I don’t see my insurance company giving two fucks about what video I may have in the rare case I am involved in an accident.  And for the above posters saying shit may happen even when you are parked, wtf do you know plan on proving or claiming?    Your insurance company will drop your ass if you make a claim even if you weren’t at fault.  I personally do not know anyone that has a dash cam or where a dash cam helped them financially.  I get it, cover your ass, but I think people over estimate the power or benefit of a dash cam.  But please feel free to waste your money on one.
View Quote

this. and cops also lie, helpful to have video (as they claim or conveniently mute).
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:22:02 PM EDT
[#8]

View All Quotes
Because people lie, and people scam, and I dont want to get fucked. That simple. Why would you waste your money paying for insurance, when you wouldnt spend a little extra to protect your insurance?

I've personally seen about a handful of accidents where a dashcam allowed LE to determine fault. One of those also involved a witness who was either mistaken or lying, proven by dashcam.

There was a case of someone intentionally walking into a car, flopping on the ground, then claiming the person struck them. That driver was only bailed out by surveillance video.

$100 dashcam is nothing when an insurance claim against you can be hundreds of thousands.  Yes insurance will pay, but then what?
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:24:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dangerranger61007] [#9]

How would a dash cam had affected your outcome?  You got rear ended.  Obviously it wasn’t your fault.  How would a dash can change the way your insurance paid you?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dangerranger61007:

It's often not easy to determine fault. Cop has no way to know who ran a red light unless witnesses stop. People rear end someone and tryto claim the other person backed into them. I got rear ended by someone who lied and said a 3rd vehicle pushed him into me (he got away with it).  Lane violations are hard to determine.

I know all this and still don't have dashcams. I drive like a bat out of hell and stay hyper attentive, which seems to avoid most trouble.

I had liability only, (shitbox car) my insurance didn't pay. A forward facing camera would have proved the phantom vehicle didn't pass us after the crash like the guy claimed. A rear facing camera would have disproved him as well.

He did have insurance and I would've been paid $2k+ in damages if I could prove his fault.  My passenger would have likely had a medical claim as well.
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:30:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Serious question for those with dashcams.  Why don’t feel the need to have them?  Have any of you that own one ever needed the footage to help with an insurance or ticket claim?  I would think it’d pretty easy to tell who was at fault for accidents in most cases.  I can’t see it helping if the other driver doesn’t have insurance.  I just don’t see the need for one and would rather put the money towards insurance.
View Quote

I  T-boned another vehicle that pulled straight out into cross traffic.   A police Sergeant was stopped directly across the street and was looking right at me when the collision occurred.   First thing out of his mouth was "I didn't see it", because he didn't want to get involved.  He didn't even stick around, and had some flunky cop show up 10 minutes later to write the report.  Flunky didn't ask either driver a single question.  Three months later when I was finally able to purchase a copy of the report, Flunky had described the other driver as T-boning me.

Imagine you're in an accident with a govt vehicle, and the cop that writes the report decides to curry favor with his superiors by making you the at-fault driver, even when it was not your fault.   Guess how much higher your insurance premiums will be over the cost of a dash cam.  Hell, most any accident, the other driver is going to blatantly lie to avoid paying out.   Wouldn't it be nice to tell the other driver "don't bother lying to the cops, I have it all on video".

I just experienced my FOURTH road rager in three years, a few days ago.  Their behavior was so outrageous that it wouldn't be believed without a dash cam.

Link Posted: Yesterday 9:36:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By MikeWhiskey:

Thanks for posting that!  They have one that fits my car and I've been thinking too long about getting one...
View Quote

You bet. I really like mine. No wires to run and it looks OEM, which in certain places means it's less likely to be stolen. Video quality is excellent too.
Link Posted: 10/18/2024 12:36:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Serious question for those with dashcams.  Why don’t feel the need to have them?  Have any of you that own one ever needed the footage to help with an insurance or ticket claim?  I would think it’d pretty easy to tell who was at fault for accidents in most cases.  I can’t see it helping if the other driver doesn’t have insurance.  I just don’t see the need for one and would rather put the money towards insurance.
View Quote

You're sitting at a stop light or a stop sign and the car in front of you backs up hard into the front of your car causing damage to both cars. Sans a witness or dash cam, how do you convince the responding cop or insurance company that you didn't rear end the other driver? Because you say you didn't? This scenario happens more than you think.
Link Posted: 10/18/2024 12:43:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Let me guess: slow as hell enforcing the speedlimit (it's the law!) on your own, left lane camping, stopping at yellow and no right on red? 60 while traffic does 80?
Link Posted: 10/18/2024 1:10:00 AM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes
Serious question for those with dashcams.  Why don't feel the need to have them?  Have any of you that own one ever needed the footage to help with an insurance or ticket claim?  I would think it'd pretty easy to tell who was at fault for accidents in most cases.  I can't see it helping if the other driver doesn't have insurance.  I just don't see the need for one and would rather put the money towards insurance.

There's also the entertainment value in recording the stupid shit people do in traffic.
Link Posted: 10/18/2024 1:12:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alien] [#15]
I got a cheap Thinkware F70(?) for free and it works well enough. My only complaint is that I have to remove the SD card and pop it in a reader to pull video. It was free so it's hard to complain, but connecting it to your phone and transferring would be super convenient.
Originally Posted By kevins_garage:
While not as convenient, there are apps that allow your phone to double as a dash cam using both cams.  You would just need a windshield mount and you'd have to enable it everytime you get into your vehicle.
View Quote
Yes but it's far more convenient to just buy a dedicated dash cam. They are not that expensive.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top