Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/2/2009 6:12:20 PM EDT
What should they really state?

I doubt "Dear Boss, you can take this job and shove it!. signed Employee" would be appropriate.

Or is it?
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#1]
makes sure you give 2 weeks - in my profession, you give 2 weeks, but they never expect you to work - but they will pay you out on it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Dear Boss,

Due to personal reasons, I will be ceasing employment with Company X on 21/12/2012.

I wish to thank the company and you personally for the opportunities you have offered me during my time at Company X.

Yours Sincerly,

A. R. Fcomer.

Why potentially blow a future job because you wrote a petty letter to your old boss? Take the high road.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:15:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a boss that didn't believe me when I gave him my two weeks.

The first shift I wasn't there, he called me up and asked, "WTF?" I replied, "I gave you my two weeks notice, well... two weeks ago..."

"Oh, uhh... it was nice working with you..."

Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:16:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Sure. Why not?
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:17:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Give two weeks and not be an ass. Never know where you might end up
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The first shift I wasn't there, he called me up and asked, "WTF?" I replied, "I gave you my two weeks notice, well... two weeks ago..."

Someone didn't get the memo.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Two weeks notice and don't burn bridges. I've seen the up yours resignation cost people the job they thought they were going to.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Someone didn't get the memo.

The last one I had to write had  Pack Sand in it.

Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:20:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Short and sweet.

Include your anticipated last day, and forwarding address for your last check (even if you have direct deposit)

Offer to stay to help train a replacement for a specified period of time (at a higher rate if past your last day)

Whether or not you intend to continue insurance through COBRA (there's another form for that anyway, but you need to cover yourself)

Request a letter of recommendation.

Get a copy signed by your supervisor for your own records.

Don't leave on a bad note no matter how much you dislike them.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#10]
keep it simple

Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, I didn't do a letter.

I just told him that he could go fuck himself and walked away.

Of course, telling a millionaire that, who is influential in the county, is not particularly conducive to finding another job within that county.  

But, since I'm up in AK now...  

Mr. Muffett?  GO FUCK YOURSELF!!!    ((Not to be confused with any Muffett that does not live in Yakima County in the State of Washington and does not run Muffett and Sons, Inc))
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Date

CC HR

Sir,

Per the employee handbook and HR notification policy, I'm providing you with XX working days notice of my impending resignation.

I would like to thank you. My time here has been both enjoyable and educational. Never at the same time and never for the reasons I would have hoped.

Eat a bag of burning shit,

XXXXXXXXX
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:25:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I went to go to a job interview...they gave me the job, and offered me more than I was asking. I agreed, and told them I'd like to give my current employer 2 weeks notice. They responded that they wanted me to start on monday (this was the tuesday before hand).

So I went down to my then current employer, told them this was my 2 weeks, but to please not schedule me for them. About 6 hours later, the transmission in my car exploded. So I didnt go the rest of that week, either

Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I hereby resign my position at XXXXXXXXXX effective DATE.

Hand one to your direct supervisor.

Certified return receipt to HUMAN RESOURCES.

Keep a copy with your green card from USPS.

You don't want them claiming they fired you for cause when in fact you resigned.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:30:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I went to go to a job interview...they gave me the job, and offered me more than I was asking. I agreed, and told them I'd like to give my current employer 2 weeks notice. They responded that they wanted me to start on monday (this was the tuesday before hand).

So I went down to my then current employer, told them this was my 2 weeks, but to please not schedule me for them. About 6 hours later, the transmission in my car exploded. So I didnt go the rest of that week, either

Hmm...  this would be a big red flag for me, as a potential employee.  If they don't expect their hires to be respectful of the companies they leave, it reflects somewhat on how they treat their employees and how they do business.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:34:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Dear Boss,

Due to personal reasons, I will be ceasing employment with Company X on 21/12/2012.
I wish to thank the company and you personally for the opportunities you have offered me during my time at Company X.

Yours Sincerly,

A. R. Fcomer.

Why potentially blow a future job because you wrote a petty letter to your old boss? Take the high road.

Link Posted: 12/2/2009 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I sent two, one to HR and one to supt of operations. Registered and hand delivered.

Sir,

Please see effective resignation date,(30 day notice). Plant supv scheduling will require updates to reflect this change, as you currently have no shift qualified plant supv at this time. This will allow time for simulator or other qualifications needed such as fire brigade leader. Required shift qualifications should be examined to insure compliance.
I will be unavailable after this date.
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

What happened...
Schedule never changed, letters were never acknowledged and no one said a word. They thought I was joking, and called asking why I was not at work as scheduled. I told them I busy packing a moving van and lack of planning was tough shit as the letters were filed and delivered 30 days previous. Apparently it was a big deal as plant supv don't often quit... their department communications sucked too.

The only certain cure for red ass is trail dust. Move on.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 7:31:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Dear Boss,

Yours Sincerly,

A. R. Fcomer.

yep I have always gone with something like above.

J-

Link Posted: 12/2/2009 9:43:05 PM EDT
[#19]
In the future I wish to write;

This place is gay, I quit.

-inf715

But I'll probably take the high road and write something more respectable.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 9:51:42 PM EDT
[#20]
The last time I quit a job, the two week notice I gave turned into about a month training a new guy all the stuff I was doing at the old job.  The new boss was all for the extra time, saying he wish guys did that for him as well.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 9:52:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a friend that was active with the local union where I work.  When he resigned, he gave three months notice in writing.  Management wanted him gone so bad, they paid him the three months salary and had him off their property before noon that same day.  A little lesson I have always remembered....

Steve
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 9:55:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What should they really state?

I say never burn a bridge.

Date goes here
Dear Mr/Mrs/Ms  Yahoo,

Please accept this letter as my notice of resignation from X Company, effective (two week date goes here). The associations I have made during my employment here will be memorable for years to come.

Regards, (or Sincerely)
DragoMuseveni

Link Posted: 12/2/2009 10:03:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Bob,
  It is with some regret that I write this letter to inform you that I have decided to pursue other opportunities.  It has been a pleasure working with and for you over the last x years, and I appreciate the support you've given me.  My last day will be x/x/xxxx.  During my last two weeks, I will work with you and the team to effectively transition my responsibilities in order to minimize the inconvenience this may cause.  

Respectfully,
   kcobean

Or, if you hate your boss:

Bob,
   My last day with {the company} will be x/x/xxxx.  I will spend my last two weeks transitioning my work as directed.  I have provided HR with a copy of this letter as well and will ensure that I comply with the exit procedures as required.

Respectfully,
  kcobean

ETA:  As stated, never burn a bridge.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 10:09:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Never burn a bridge. While it may be fun to tell your old boss to FOAD, that's rarely constructive. You never know when common contacts will come up, and it would suck to be pwned down the road due to telling your old boss where to stick it.

My last resignation letter was something along the lines of:

Mr X,

Over the past three years I have been happy to be a part of X-company. I am grateful for the expieriences I have had here, but I feel the time has come for me to seek opportunities elsewhere. <<polite explanation of the reasons why I feel I am no longer a good fit for this company>>.

I will be happy to do whatever I can to make the transition for my replacement as smooth as possible, and will help in the recruitment process. As a result of my work here, I trust I can use you as a reference should the need arise.

Please take this letter as my official two week notice of resignation.

Sincerely,
<signed>

I turned in my resignation letter in person. Plan to express your reason for the letter in person (before he reads it) and be sure you can do so without getting emotional. My boss knew it was coming and was only a matter of time, so when I asked to meet with him and showed up with a sealed letter in hand, it was hardly a shock.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 10:13:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

The last time I quit a job, the two week notice I gave turned into about a month training a new guy all the stuff I was doing at the old job.  The new boss was all for the extra time, saying he wish guys did that for him as well.

One job I quit asked me to train a replacement (offered that in my resignation letter), charged them 200%  of my current salary + residual commission effective immediately.  All signed contracts considered good at termination.  No problems, they made it effective that day.  Of course I dragged training out as much as I could, being thorough and all.  These assholes screwed me out of a lot of commission previously, changing the rules depending on how much I made.  "YOU CAN'T MAKE MORE THAN THE MANAGER!!!"

Well, I do.

It was a fucking RE management sales job, it's not rocket surgery

I trained him properly but he quit two months after I left, taking a higher-paying job.  I did what I was paid to do, turns out the hiree became more qualified for the job than they could afford.

Don't game your employees, and they won't game you

Link Posted: 12/2/2009 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I remember once when a co-worker didn't show up for a shift. The boss checked his email and found an email from said coworker that apparently read, "I quit."
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 10:32:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

...snip...

I turned in my resignation letter in person. Plan to express your reason for the letter in person (before he reads it) and be sure you can do so without getting emotional. My boss knew it was coming and was only a matter of time, so when I asked to meet with him and showed up with a sealed letter in hand, it was hardly a shock.

+1, I'll also add: DON'T explain your reason for leaving in your resignation letter!  Explain verbally.

You're leaving, and that's that unless your pay increases by a significant amount (or whatever your demands are, unless you really hate your job).

Link Posted: 12/2/2009 10:46:02 PM EDT
[#28]
burning bridges and such.......not a real good idea.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 10:50:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Some time in the future, a prospective employer will call Mr. Muffett and ask if you were an employee in good standing and if he would hire you again.

If Mr. Muffett is a vindictive bastard, his response may keep you from getting the new job.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 11:14:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
...snip...

+1, I'll also add: DON'T explain your reason for leaving in your resignation letter!  Explain verbally.

You're leaving, and that's that unless your pay increases by a significant amount (or whatever your demands are, unless you really hate your job).

The reasons were PAINFULLY obvious to the employer. I'd been severely underpaid since I started with the company. Two months earlier I'd asked for a very reasonable raise (still decently under the going rate for the area) and the counteroffer was to allow me to work 2 hours of overtime per pay period.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 11:32:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

The last time I quit a job, the two week notice I gave turned into about a month training a new guy all the stuff I was doing at the old job. The new boss was all for the extra time, saying he wish guys did that for him as well.

My new boss said the same thing.   Said he would have waited for me if the old company needed the extra week.

Everybody who has been in the work force for more than a few years has been burned by someone who said "FU, I quit" and had to clean up the ensuing mess.  Someone who says "sorry, but I cannot leave for two weeks" (or longer depending on transition time) is saying "I'm a class act."  And you know that if/when the time comes for them to leave, they will show you the same consideration.

I'd try to mend any bridges before you go.
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 3:01:57 AM EDT
[#32]
I never give notice as I never went back to work for any place I quit. What kind of notice do most employers give for a lay off or if they terminate you?
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 3:06:03 AM EDT
[#33]
For my first job, I gave seven weeks notice, mentioned I would help train my replacement and finish major projects.

eta: and I quit b/c I didn't like the way they treated me.  I guess I'm easily taken advantage of.
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 3:12:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 3:44:57 AM EDT
[#35]
A letter.

Your address on the top, then the date, the companies address next, address the person you are handing the letter to, as in:

bfarrin1
somewhere in Indiana

12/3/2009

X Company
somewhere in Illinois

Mr. Jackleg,

"The purpose of this communication is to advise you of the willfull termination of my employment at X COMPANY on DATE & TIME."

bfarrin1's signature

bfarrin1's legal name typed out.

That's it, don't include anything else.

File it.

It'll drive them nuts, as folks seem to like to wax poetic when they resign.

This same sentence/form letter was used by 15+ folks at EDS about 18 years ago - the HR department came up from TX they were so out of their mind.

Link Posted: 12/3/2009 3:46:34 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Dear Boss,

Yours Sincerly,

A. R. Fcomer.

Pretty much what I stated in my last letter.  I even do some contract work for them.  So don't burn bridges.

Link Posted: 12/3/2009 3:49:04 AM EDT
[#37]
"Suck the snotty end of my fuckstick bitch...!"

Link Posted: 12/6/2009 5:14:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
For my first job, I gave seven weeks notice, mentioned I would help train my replacement and finish major projects.

eta: and I quit b/c I didn't like the way they treated me.  I guess I'm easily taken advantage of.

That's exactly why I'm quiting. I'm so sick of the lack of basic respect I'm receive.

I thought by going on vacation for 3 weeks people would learn to become a little more self-sufficant and actually use common sense . Boy was I wrong.
Fax machines and computers were down for the 3 weeks I was out and no one bothered to pickup the damn phone and call the corporate help desk. The day I get back all hell is raised because the office had no way to send faxes for 3 weeks and how it's my job to fix those thing. It seems that in a nation wide company with 4000 employees I am the only one that can troubleshoot a fax machine. Give me a fucken break. .

To add to the bullshit they recently hired a new person to assit me in my day to day work, but according to my boss I still have to all physical labor because they hired a chick.  While I'm all for equality in the work place, she is useless if I have to stop what ever it is I'm doing to move a printer or computer or run network cable for her. Even if she is willing and able to do "heavy lifting" and get her hands dirty I can just see all the hell being raised by other people in the office becase I'm not being a "gentlemen".

Even worse, last week when my workstation crapped out. The only I/T guy in the office now has no working computer, he can't do his job. Was I allowed to fix it, no. Had the same thing happened to anyone elses computer I would have been told to stop what ever it was I was doing and fix it. Instead I was told to go setup some new computers for new employees starting next week. . No one cares that my computer is fried. Things are just not right in the world when the I/T guy is having computer problems of his own.

I am so sick of taking care of the needs of other people when there is nobody who can take care of me.
I really wish I could give my notice tomorrow but I need a couple of more paychecks first.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 5:22:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Never-ever-ever burn that bridge.  World is too small.    Co-workers and the like that are affected can black ball you in the future etc.  2 weeks notice does not require and explanation. just I am resigning my position effective XXX, signed and dated.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Dear Boss,

Yours Sincerly,

A. R. Fcomer.

no point in leaving by being a complete asshole.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Take the high road. Never burn a bridge, making a statement will never do you any good they do not care that is why you are leaving, they are not going to change because of you, you are not that important.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 5:29:32 PM EDT
[#42]
while I have quit under assorted terms over the years  Do not write a letter , just tell then boss or HR in person. I was told by an HR person they would prefer no letters and consider you not to be rehired if you wrote one.

I work with a guy who wrote a letter then his offer got pulled, he came back begging never good.

Do not tell your boss. " Listen this place is fucked !! I am turning in my 2 weeks notice."

He said "since you feel that way maybe you should leave now. "

I said "ok"

I did not have another job lined up but found another in under a week.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 5:29:47 PM EDT
[#43]
I just walked the hell out of a job 4 weeks ago. Couldn't take it anymore. Left Saturday, started new job Monday.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Never and I mean never burn bridges, my old employer became my biggest customer!!
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 5:35:55 PM EDT
[#45]
I worked with a guy that gave his two weeks notice before he told his wife.  Two days later he asked for it back because she was so mad.  Two months later she went to visit her family in Pennsylvania.  He gave the letter back to his boss and called his wife in Penn saying, "Don't come home, I have a new job up there."
Don't know how it turned out in the end.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 5:36:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I hereby resign my position at XXXXXXXXXX effective DATE.

Hand one to your direct supervisor.

Certified return receipt to HUMAN RESOURCES.

Keep a copy with your green card from USPS.

You don't want them claiming they fired you for cause when in fact you resigned.  

This is the best route. Short, to the point. Don't include anything unnecessary that could come back on you for any reason.

"Effective  [date], I resign my position."

That's all you need to include.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#47]
"The undersigned respectfully respects to be stricken from the rolls of XXXXX company, effective *whatever day is two weeks from the submission date.*

Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter.

Respectfully,

I hate this fucking job."

Short, sweet, no bridges burned.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#48]
So whats the proper reaction when work gives you a 3 day notice after 13 years?
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 5:50:21 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

So whats the proper reaction when work gives you a 3 day notice after 13 years?

Well_Bye.gif

Link Posted: 12/6/2009 5:54:18 PM EDT
[#50]
I'll dig mine up and post it.  It went over very well.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top