Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/18/2008 9:42:49 AM EDT
I was originally gonna build an SPR MOD 0 because I think the two pics below are the most beautiful guns on the planet. However, the more I think about it I'm not sure I should do a MOD 0 because you dont really need an ARMS rail these days even though they're nice and sharp looking. Also, the SDM-R and SAMR appeals to me because of the 20" barrel and I'd like to be able to shoot my AR as far as possible. I can't seem to decide. Any thoughts?

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#1]
SAM-R  !
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:26:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:52:32 AM EDT
[#3]

build the "0" and drop the Swan rail. i'm working on the exact same thing, i don't see a need for the rail.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Psuedo SAM-R - run a CLE barrel, LaRue rail system, and run an MR/T on it if money is a worry.

If real maximum range is an issue, the 20" will be marginally better than the 18"

I'd just check out a LOT of pictures (start with the MSTN picture-fest in the Industry forum - there are a lot of these builds), and then pick something you want.

SAM-R is my absolute favorite weapon, period.  I still ended up building an 18"
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:02:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I would vote SPR mod 0 I have always thought the lines were wonderful on those.

the SDM-R is nice and there are lots of good barrels out there PRI and White Oak Precision, I know off the  top of my head.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:06:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
build the "0" and drop the Swan rail. i'm working on the exact same thing, i don't see a need for the rail.

The build specs actually call for the Swan rail.

United States Navy Mark 12 Mod X Special Purpose Rifle
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Handguards: In all cases a free-floating forearm is used, which does not touch the barrel directly. This increases the accuracy of the weapon by removing vibration and pressure exerted on the barrel by the rest of the gun. The first SPRs used PRI Gen I or Gen II carbon-fiber free-float tubes. The SPR/A, SPR/B, and Mk 12 Mod 1 all use the Knights Armament Company (KAC) M4 Match Free-Floating RAS (Rail Adapter System). The Mk 12 Mod 0 uses PRI Gen III free-float tubes. The Gen I and Gen II Freefloat Forearms are combined with the Atlantic Research Marketing Systems (ARMS) #38 SPR MOD Sleeve, while the Gen III Freefloat Forearm, due to its it larger barrel nut, only works with the ARMS #38 SPR PEQ-2-3.

Mounts: As mentioned before, a long accessory rail, called a SWAN Sleeve (ARMS SPR MOD or ARMS #38 SPR PEQ-2-3), manufactured by ARMS, is installed, running the length of the rifle. The SPR/A and SPR/B both used the KAC M4 Match FF RAS. Two ARMS #22 Throwlever 30 mm steel rings are used to mount the dayscope. The SPR/A, SPR/B, and Mk 12 Mod 1 use ARMS #22 high rings, while due to the increased height from the SWAN Sleeve, the SPR and Mk 12 Mod 0 use ARMS #22 medium rings. An under-the-handguard ARMS #32 Throwlever mount is used to mount the Harris bipod (the ARMS #42 Throwlever mount is used to mount the Versa-Pod); this features a quick release action.  

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:15:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I think he was saying , build Mod 0 just dont use the ARMS rail.  Maybe I should go with something like this and just spend the extra money on a nice Nightforce Scope and keep it simple.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#8]
yeah, i understand what the spec calls for but with a LaRue mount to move the scope out it's not needed.

i understand if it's an "exact" clone but most of us will add our own touch in one way or another any way. so if you use brand X lower and brand Y trigger it's not gona hurt to delete the rail.

i think the rifle looks good with the rail but it's just not my style. i'll call mine ZEROish. kinda like my RECCEish and M4ish.

to the OP i still vote "0" either way i can't find a use for all of the rail space on the others
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:25:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I think he was saying , build Mod 0 just dont use the ARMS rail.  Maybe I should go with something like this and just spend the extra money on a nice Nightforce Scope and keep it simple.
farm4.static.flickr.com/3165/2572555956_8b24a1cc1c_o.jpg
farm4.static.flickr.com/3282/2571732669_fc9e96a231_o.jpg

I may be a bit hard-headed, but how can you build a Mod 0 and omit a specifed part of the Mod 0? To me, it would not be a Mod 0. Even the Mk 12 Mod 0 clone that I built is not a true clone because of the lower receiver I used (Spikes w/ LMT 2-stage trigger), but the upper (built by ADCO) is correct aside from the brand of scope I used (Barska SWAT Tactical).

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:28:25 AM EDT
[#10]
The optic WILL be more important than some of the other hardware that will match a particular profile.  PRI tubes are fantastic because of the weight savings, but if you're not going to get any use out of the accessory attaching ability, not much loss getting a DPMS/Clark/Similar Carbon Fibre tube, and if you're using the accessory space, could just get a cheaper one that fills the same role.

Nightforce, Leupold, US Optics, IOR would all be great choices on the optic - I'd worry about that after you've decide on barrel length.

A LaRue SPR style mount (or ADM, G&G equivalent) will put whichever optic you choose in the correct position, so the Swan rail isn't critical to ergonomic function.

WhiteOak, CompassLake, Krieger, Douglas are all viable options - that's all on your budget and willingness to wait for a high end barrel (especially on the latter)
If you're really looking to save money, while keep longer range functoin - might be worth looking into a CMMG built 20" MedCon upper (MUR, LaRue/DD/PRI Forearm, at a solid price)
Another one to consider is a 12" foreend versus a 13.2/13.5" that extends over a lower profile gas block.  The PRI front sight is awesome, and a great value.  The YHM is significatly cheaper, but will also get the job done.
Otherwise, a 13.2" LaRue Rail, 13.5" TROY MRF-RX, or DD 14" Light Rail, 13.2" FFT are all options if you want the extended setup.

If weight is not much of a concern - I'm assuming a PRS stock will work fine - or hell, just start with an A2/A1(if you're short) stock and see how that works out for you.
There are tons of people who are all about the LMT SOPMOD stocks, the VLTOR EMOD is also a good choice - I'm a UBR fanbody, so those are all viable options if you're not replicating a certain silhoette.

Ammunition is another cost if you're worried about longer range performance as well - to get the most out of a high end setup, you're looking at match grade 75gr or 77gr ammunition, which isn't that easy to find, and not terribly cheap - duget accordingly.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:30:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Build mod 0, then mod 1...

This damn BRD is endless!
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:36:08 AM EDT
[#12]
SAM-R!

I put together a Mod 0 a few years ago and then realized it was heavier than I wanted.  I parted it out and built 2 recce type uppers, one with a 10X scope, and I still wasn't happy.  One recce upper has now been parted out, and I'm working on a SAM-R clone.  I really like the SAM-R rifles, and there are a lot of different barrels out there that can be used.

My SAM-R won't be an exact clone, as I bought a Sabre 20" stainless 1:8" fluted barrel, and I'm running a Vltor stock.  I'll probably go with the MI flipup front sight/gas block ILO the Knight's unit.  So far I like this setup much better than the Mk 12 Mod 0, or the recce I had.  Just need to swap out the gas block and pick up a Leupold Mk 4 and I'll be done.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:11:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I own both a MOD1 and a SAMR. The SAMR gets almost no action anymore MOD1 is awesome.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 1:33:56 PM EDT
[#14]
One of each!

Well I sold my mod0 so I don't have that, but I still have the mod1 and SAM-R clone

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 2:09:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I was thinking long and hard regarding which SPR to for my next build

I have a soft spot for the look of the  Mod 0. One of the sexier guns out there  . Yes the ARMS SPR rail just adds cost ( $200 ) and weight but what really made me finalize on the Mod 0 was this :

I can't afford to put "great" glass on all my rifles  ( and I couldn't bear to put anything other than a great scope on this build ). Because I have some precision rifles that just sit in my safe until hunting season I could cross deck one of those scopes

Since the typical low rings used in precision rifle builds are too low for an AR plaform, the SPR - PEQ rail adds just the right height. This way I can remove the scope AND rings and just retorque to 65in lbs on the SPR rail. I can use this glass on both rifles

If I had a dedicated scope on a Mod 1 I would need higher rings...so high they wouldn't work for a precision rifle

See pic below

Its actually a 6.5 Grendel ( Saber SS barrel ) . I still need my Arms 40 rear sight and PRI front . It sucks the PRI front will only be used as a sight since the 6.5 Grendel barrel I used is a mid length, so the gas block is a low profile DD inside the PRI tube

Upper is a Vltor MUR. Glass is a Schmidt & Bender PMII  3-12
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:23:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
"I think he was saying , build Mod 0 just dont use the ARMS rail.  Maybe I should go with something like this and just spend the extra money on a nice Nightforce Scope and keep it simple."

... then it's not a 'Mod 0'...

I don't think the chump change you'd save on dumping the ARMS rail will even get you NF lens covers...
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:24:39 PM EDT
[#18]
someone misunderstood what the guy said about "building a MOD 0 without the rail" so I clarified it, not sure why people are quoting me on that. What i meant by get the Nightforce instead of rail is this ; instead of spending the $200 on the rail which Is really only for looks I could use that $200 towards getting better glass. I'm fuly aware of the price of nightforce optics( a shitload) , also to the guy that said he couldn't afford great glass. I know very litlte about the specifics of s&b but Bro, your using a Schmidt and bender and that to me is great glass!!!!  thanks for everyones input I think I'm gonna do something like this but I'll probably change my mind again soon!

-Armalite Upper & lower or LMT upper and lower
-Magpul PRS stock
-Larue 13.5" rail or Daniel Defense 14" Lite rail or M4 rail
-YHM Lo-profile gas block
-Krieger 20" 1/7 barrel fluted under the handguards or Noveske 20" Heavy barrel
-Vortex Flash Hider
-Rock river Arms 9mm buffer
-BCM BCG
-Springfield 3lbs trigger job
-Troy front and Rear BUIS or KAC 600m rear and yhm front BUIS
-Nightforce 3.5-15x50 NXS w/ mildot ret.
or
-Leupold 4.5-14x50 Mark 4 LR/T
-Larue SPR mount
-Larue Bipod Mount
-Harris Bipod
-Magpul MIAD grip
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Do both. I have both a Mod0 and a Mod1. The Mod1 was a correct SAM/R until I got the Ops Inc suppressor.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Wow, thanks for the compliments on my rifle at the top of this thread!
It is a very fine shooter.

Here is my Mod1 style with a 18" Douglas CLE SPR barrel, DD 13.5 rail, and sporting a TA55 scope.

And just for kicks, the Mod0 with NV, one of Victor's hand select GenIII D-760 6X models.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:48:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Edwin, which do you like better, the Mod 1 or Mod 0
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:04:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I'd have to say the Mod0, but only because the first 2 groups I shot with it at 100 yards were covered by a dime and a nickle, using Fulton Armory purchased Mk262.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd go for the Mod 1. All vey nice rifles. Thanks quib for advice when i was buildng mine.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:09:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Here is my Mod1 style with a 18" Douglas CLE SPR barrel, DD 13.5 rail, and sporting a TA55 scope.

i192.photobucket.com/albums/z238/edwin907/MD1.jpg

And just for kicks, the Mod0 with NV, one of Victor's hand select GenIII D-760 6X models.

i192.photobucket.com/albums/z238/edwin907/SPRD760.jpg

Hey what about mine,,,,,I think she's purty

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:27:46 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

While the Mod0 looks bad ass-I prefer the Mod1 as it balances better and is slightly lighter so that's my go-to rig.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:27:53 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i192.photobucket.com/albums/z238/edwin907/MD1.jpg

i192.photobucket.com/albums/z238/edwin907/SPRD760.jpg

Hey what about mine,,,,,I think she's purty

i31.photobucket.com/albums/c382/muskyjerk/Img_0007R.jpg

She is purty.  That is why she was my inspiration for my Mod 0.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

-Armalite Upper & lower or LMT upper and lower
-Magpul PRS stock
-Larue 13.5" rail or Daniel Defense 14" Lite rail or M4 rail
-YHM Lo-profile gas block
-Krieger 20" 1/7 barrel fluted under the handguards or Noveske 20" Heavy barrel
-Vortex Flash Hider
-Rock river Arms 9mm buffer
-BCM BCG
-Springfield 3lbs trigger job
-Troy front and Rear BUIS or KAC 600m rear and yhm front BUIS
-Nightforce 3.5-15x50 NXS w/ mildot ret.
or
-Leupold 4.5-14x50 Mark 4 LR/T
-Larue SPR mount
-Larue Bipod Mount
-Harris Bipod
-Magpul MIAD grip

You won't be disappointed with an LMT setup - there are other that look really great too, but LMT has a great reputation.  I run an LMT BCG in my CMMG M4

For BUIS - I <3 my TROYs, but the MI SPLP or PRI rear is somewhat more flexible (easier windage), and if you can't get the newer M4 style of TROY front sight, I don't like them all that much.  PRI still has cheap front sights from their site, worth looking into especially if you want that pair of sights.  The ARMS #40L are also very good low profile rear sights too

I still favor lower magnification on the optic, but for that, just pick which one you like the most from LaRue, and get the Optic/Mount combo and you're set.  Dillos are awesome too.
I don't have a LaRue bipod mount yet, because I don't use my chicom Harris knockoff enough to justify it, but again, great peice of kit.  That pairing (I am partial to the 9-13", but if you're doing bench shooting at all, the ones that go down to 6" are preferable).

The trigger might take some more research - a Springfield modified (I'm looking into hiss work as well) trigger is great looking, but  something along the lines of a Geisselle DMR trigger might also work (although for range shooting, there aren't really many drawbacks to lightened trigger springs)

Very last thing to consider is if a LaRue Stealth Upper (completed) might be a more affordable option - get one in 20" that already comes with the 13.2" Rail, LaRue gas block, their own MP/Mil Contract bolt that's well staked, and of course the Stealth Billett upper would be worth looking into.  They'll probably slap on the Vortex hider as well (again, I also adore my two vortexes).

It's totally okay if you change your mind more, but you're starting to narrow down a configuration that'll work well for you.  Can't wait to see the final product!!!

::ETA:: I'll admit, the look of the Mod0 is what drew me into making an SPR, but the practicality of a slightly modified one for 3-gun, precision shooting, or most anything is what convinced me to break out the wallet and go for it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:17:50 PM EDT
[#29]
hey Musky I'm fully aware of your beauty that graces the first post in Mk12 forum!!!!!! Your pic is what got me interested enough to read that thread before I even knew what an SPR was.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:24:02 AM EDT
[#30]
I may have missed it here, but am curious to know - what are the main differences between the Mod 0 and Mod 1 ?

Lots of cool pics, BTW.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#31]
lots of differences, look here for detailed information about the SPR

The top gun is an SPR MOD O , the bottom one is a MOD 1

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:09:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Cool ...

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:18:40 PM EDT
[#33]
In Before The Poll...

FlDiveCop71
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:23:08 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I may have missed it here, but am curious to know - what are the main differences between the Mod 0 and Mod 1 ?

Lots of cool pics, BTW.

Mod 0 has round handguards
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:57:59 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lots of cool pics, BTW.

Mod 0 has round handguards

Excellent.  Thank you for that link . Now subscribed
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:07:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:41:31 AM EDT
[#37]
I vote  the model O.   They are worth the effort.  This is an old pic of mine as it was unfinished here. I even found a Colt/Diemaco upper to use on the build. I used the KAC match trigger in mine. I tried to keep in as correct as possible with exception of the lower receiver. Notice I did not have the suppressor collar mounted yet.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:59:53 PM EDT
[#38]
sweet rifle man!!! Let me ask you guys something. I'd love to get a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50mm w/ Mildot but it's extremely expensive. I've been looking at Leupold LR/T and IOR scopes but I'd like to stay under $1000. Do you guys have any specific suggestions of some scopes to take a look at?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:07:40 PM EDT
[#39]
I had a 3.5-15 NF on for a long time, and it was adequate for shooting itty-bitty groups with it. The problem arose when I started doing more DMR type courses-running around, climbing over stuff, up into towers, etc-that I realized that it was just too much scope for the platform. I've since switched to a USO 1.5-6x SN4 and it's performed very well.

As for the Leupold vs. IOR-well the Leupold 3.5-10x40 w/ M3 knobs is technically correct. Every Military Mod0 I have ever seen has had this scope. Most all Mod1's I've seen have had the Leupold 3-9x36 MR/T w/ M3 knobs mounted. A friend of mine, who is a SEAL sniper though recently told me that just about all of his units Mod1's are equipped with 2.5-10x Nightforces. There are still some Leupold's around, but Nightforces and personally bought optics are more common.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#40]
I personally voted for the Mod O. But here is something to consider.

Cost - Mod 1
Weight - Mod 1

Look Cool factor - Mod 0

Mark
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:41:26 PM EDT
[#41]
I plan on doing an "east coast" SAM-R repro. Going to Camp Perry this weekend in search of a barrel and ???. Here's a pic of what I hope to end up with. Man that KAC stuff is expensive.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#42]
If I were to get the Leupold 3.5-10x40 w/ M3 knobs , do you guys think getting custom cams for 77gr bullets is worth doing? THe leupold site showed them only costing $29 , what are your thoughts? I could keep track of comeups but I dont enough experience to compare the two? Do of any of you guys?
thanks
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:39:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Since BDC's are made for one load, in one set of conditions-I find it easier to just use the MOA markings on the knob than to rely solely on the BDC. To each their own though....
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:01:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Here's mine...Just waiting on my Ops Inc. #12 Suppressor...& Scope http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u311/zombie92272/000_0873.jpg
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:55:11 PM EDT
[#45]
thanks Lawman, your right its a restrictive way to do it. I'm leaning towards something like this -

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:08:24 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
thanks Lawman, your right its a restrictive way to do it. I'm leaning towards something like this -
farm4.static.flickr.com/3006/2690939137_e0b7040ba1_o.jpg

There is nothing SPR, SDM, or SAMR about that rifle.  

I'm working on a Mod 0 right now, crap is expensive.  Also in the future I wouldn't mine a SDM-R, plus a MK18, Mod 1, SAMR, and a ..............

Building clones sucks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:16:56 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Building clones sucks.

Tell me about it!

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:08:18 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
farm4.static.flickr.com/3006/2690939137_e0b7040ba1_o.jpg

Enkry - did you steal that configuration off my hard drive?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Building clones sucks.

Tell me about it!

www.hunt101.com/data/500/IMG_9388_1.jpg

Gah that does suck.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Id love to build the MOD ) but I'm having a hard time justifying the extra stuff. I dont know I might go with my Kiss nightforce rifle posted above or a very nice Mod 0. What exact scope is the right scope for an SPR , or maybe I should say whats the closest to the real deal scope that we can get. the 2.5-8 or the 3x10, i've read conflicting things
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top