Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/19/2010 9:08:51 AM EDT
I'm wanting to pick up a detachable A1 style carry handle, do these exist?

I tried google already, figure I'd ask the hive.
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 9:35:01 AM EDT
[#1]
http://www.cncguns.com/misc.html

P.S. - Google search, it's the first result.
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 9:39:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
http://www.cncguns.com/misc.html

P.S. - Google search, it's the first result.

Thanks!

My google fu is weak today.

I tried M16A1 carry handle
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 10:01:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 10:18:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:I wasn't aware they were still being made, they are certainly interesting, and I would use one of these over an A2CH any day of the week.

I was under the same impression. I hope they do come back. -Ben

Link Posted: 11/19/2010 10:55:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I wasn't aware they were still being made, they are certainly interesting, and I would use one of these over an A2CH any day of the week.

I think he would find them to sell much better if he bought the A1 components and installed them.  It may be easy to drop in the parts, but its extra ordering for another site, and that in itself is enough to turn some people away.  A completed A1CH, or at least the option to buy the parts at the same time would be nice.  

Oh absolutely, the A2 charging handle is worthless to me. Colt Canada makes an A1 detachable carry handle, too. Why the hell Colt's Defense won't make half the cool shit Colt Canada makes is beyond me - and it ticks me off, too!

Link Posted: 11/19/2010 11:11:05 AM EDT
[#6]
What is an A2 charging handle?
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 11:20:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Well they are out of stock...

I really want to set my middy up as a "KISS" rifle and just dig the carry handle look.

Is it worthwhile to buy the A2 carry handle? I don't really ever see any positive comments about them.

My other options would be the DD 1.5 fixed sight or the new Troy fixed sight.....but those don't let me get the classic look I really want.

I have a samson flip up rear....but don't really trust it, nor do I trust my TRS-25 red dot for SHTF purposes. I'd rather have a strong rear iron sight setup to fall back on, compared to a flip up rear or cheap red dot. I can see my current situation failing under real world circumstances, thus want a durable setup.

Plus I have the whole shooting with optics part down and want to become 100% proficient with the original iron sight design.

As with my AK's, I would equip them with red dots and such, only to fall back to the KISS / irons setup....now its happening with my black rifle.

please share your thoughts gentlemen
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 11:25:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I have 3 of the A1 Carry Handles and really like them.
The plastic nuts included with the handle from CNC Guns are garbage, so you need to replace them with real steel carry handle nuts.

I used A2 apertures with the A1 components.  
The one I have on my 9mm has the XS same plane aperture since I don't need the range changing aperture..

Link Posted: 11/19/2010 12:08:54 PM EDT
[#9]
This thread was missing something...

-Ray

Link Posted: 11/19/2010 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

-Ray

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg35/Ray_N_Iraq/DSC00782.jpg

+1

Can you share specs on this nice stick?
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Ray

+1

Can you share specs on this nice stick?

Yes and thank you.

Daniel Defense DDM4 Lower with LMT SOPMOD stock
BCM 14.5" midlength lightweight (perm A2X) upper with BCM BCG and BCMGUNFIGHTER CH (Mod 4)
CNC Gunsmithing A1 detachable carry handle with XS Sight Systems same plane rear sight
Daniel Defense Omega 9.0

-Ray

Link Posted: 11/19/2010 1:21:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

-Ray

Very Nice !!!!  That is a good set up.
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm going to have to get a A2 handle for the time being.

Is there anyway to "lock in" the adjustments on it after zero is established?

Link Posted: 11/19/2010 1:36:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I have an extra CNC A1 handle I might be willing to let go for a fair price.  Email me at:  [email protected]
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 1:38:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have an extra CNC A1 handle I might be willing to let go for a fair price.  Email me at:  [email protected]

sent
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 1:42:05 PM EDT
[#16]
This thread is a failure up till now...

THE ORIGINAL A1 DIS

ETA:

If ANYONE is willing to sell theirs, IM me.
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 1:42:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm going to have to get a A2 handle for the time being.

Is there anyway to "lock in" the adjustments on it after zero is established?

Mark the elevation wheel and windage knob / rear sight with a paint pen or similar is about all you can do with an A2 sight system.

And thank you dbuckt55

-Ray

Link Posted: 11/19/2010 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#18]
What I'd LOVE is an A1 with quick release leavers instead of the protruding screws.

Bill
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 1:56:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Maybe if you would have posted pix of YOUR A1 detachable carry handle first and not come in second with copy and paste pix for one that was already mentioned...

-Ray

Link Posted: 11/19/2010 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe if you would have posted pix of YOUR A1 detachable carry handle first and not come in second with copy and paste pix for one that was already mentioned...

-Ray

mine is still out there waiting to find me

Link Posted: 11/19/2010 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Ray

mine is still out there waiting to find me

lol...just wait a little longer.  Mine finally found me.

-Ray

Link Posted: 11/19/2010 2:35:17 PM EDT
[#22]
http://www.coltcanada.com/Images/c8-annot.gif

http://www.coltcanada.com/Images/cqb-annot.gif

I like the rail on the front sight tower I'll take two please
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 3:41:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Got this pic a couple of days ago fom Justin.  Today I got a box with my A1 carry handle.  Folks, if they are not back in stock, they will be in a day or two.
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Got this pic a couple of days ago fom Justin.  Today I got a box with my A1 carry handle.  Folks, if they are not back in stock, they will be in a day or two.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/Recovry4x4/IMG_0088.jpg

Win
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 5:05:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What I'd LOVE is an A1 with quick release leavers instead of the protruding screws.

Bill

Me too?
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 6:02:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 7:01:21 PM EDT
[#27]
The only reason to buy this carry handle is so that your fingers would actually fit through the hole ;)
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#28]
The only reason to buy it is because A1 sights are not fragile like the A2 adjustable sights.A1s are superior and far simpler with less parts.
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The only reason to buy it is because A1 sights are not fragile like the A2 adjustable sights.A1s are superior and far simpler with less parts.

This!

I hate A2 sights  

-Ray

Link Posted: 11/20/2010 7:07:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 7:15:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 7:23:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I wasn't aware they were still being made, they are certainly interesting, and I would use one of these over an A2CH any day of the week.

I think he would find them to sell much better if he bought the A1 components and installed them.  It may be easy to drop in the parts, but its extra ordering for another site, and that in itself is enough to turn some people away.  A completed A1CH, or at least the option to buy the parts at the same time would be nice.  

Has rainier ever considered buying a set of them and trying to sell them through their site? Try to get a discount buying a case and sell them either stripped or complete(with better screw heads). I mean I figure you all wouldn't have a problem selling a case or so of them, if the demand was good enough then make it a regular item.
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 8:52:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Why do I always find the kewl stuff when I am broke?!
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 9:05:32 AM EDT
[#34]
I really like the looks of the A-1 carry handle, I'll have to keep an eye on their website and order one when they're back in stock. Does anybody know if it works with the F-marked front sight?
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 9:09:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I really like the looks of the A-1 carry handle, I'll have to keep an eye on their website and order one when they're back in stock. Does anybody know if it works with the F-marked front sight?

The difference between a standard fsb and a f marked is very small. Yes it should work fine(considering this is for a flat top I'm guessing it was made with the f marked one in mind).
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 10:25:24 AM EDT
[#36]
I've never understood the hate for A2's. I used Molons RIBZ  and can set my sights for 25,50,100,200/300. I've never broke one "fragile" A2 sight.
I suppose they can be bumped and change a degree but that's not going to throw a shot off by much.
A1's are great for a 50-200 yard. No doubt. But the A2 has been very useful to me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#37]
I was looking at AIM today, might just get one of these

Looks like a solid unit.
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I've never understood the hate for A2's. I used Molons RIBZ  and can set my sights for 25,50,100,200/300. I've never broke one "fragile" A2 sight.
I suppose they can be bumped and change a degree but that's not going to throw a shot off by much.
A1's are great for a 50-200 yard. No doubt. But the A2 has been very useful to me.

I don't think they are fragile as in they will break easy, but that they can be "bumped" and changed easy.  Visual marks to quick check A2 sights work during the day, but from my personal experience, not so great early in the morning serving a warrant or searching open fields at night for a Cop killing murder suspect etc.  I've seen A2 sights bumped just a click or two and then others that ended up almost a whole rotation from moving around on long standoffs and searches from rubbing against tac gear.  For CQB a click or two off it's really going to matter, but move that "got to make it" hostage shot back to 50 yards and then what?  Been on a few calls where shit was happening before our Snipers were set and in position.

I only did a few night missions in Iraq so it wasn't as big of a deal plus I had other optics (A2's were back up only).  

I've said it before,but I don't see the need for A2 sights on a combat weapon, duty weapon or SHTF weapon.  I will only buy and recommend A1 sights (uppers or BUIS) or flattops.

Set 'em and forget 'em...It's just been my experience that when I'm carrying an AR/M4 I usually have other shit to worry about.

-Ray
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 3:09:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Ok, I can understand that. Why does the MK18 come with them? I would think they would rather have A1.
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 4:07:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ok, I can understand that. Why does the MK18 come with them? I would think they would rather have A1.

Only speculation on my part, but I would assume because of LMT/Crane's involvement and their rear sight along with the Military's familiarization with the A2 sight system.  The A2 is usually a BUIS only and not the primary on the MK18.  The guys that have them issued to them are obviously more than capable of knowing and working with the perceived weaknesses.  I'm sure some of those guys change them and other just take what they are issued.

-Ray
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#42]
The MK18 story is an interesting one, but suffice to say, particularly these days, I rarely see the LMT BUIS in use by NSW, and almost never on M4A1 CQBRs.  Usually I see KAC BUIS or MATECH BUIS, if there is a BUIS at all.  

Usually the LMT BUIS is seen most frequently on Crane MK18 Mod 0s (complete weapon system, usually not used by NSW, but by VBSS teams and similar).  

As for why they were used, at the time when the MK18 CQBR was first being issued and developed, I suspect, there were few BUIS available, and M4A1s were still generally being issued with carry handles, and being "cut" by operators to use as a BUIS.  When the MK18 Mod 0 was standardized, so was the LMT BUIS, just a cut carry handle, and it stuck with the specs even after other options became available and were being used by the operators, the MK18 Mod 0 system retained all of the features of the "original."  

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 4:18:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 6:25:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Here's one on my son's Middy KISS...

You guys should check the EE more often. I recently sold a spare I had. Brand new and completely assembled with an XS Same Plane sight aperture for the ultimate CH IMO. I was only asking $100.00 shipped for it (for $140 worth of parts) but It sat there for weeks before RH33 in this thread was smart enough to buy it
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 7:55:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/cgv69/MiddyAR.jpg

That's hot.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 8:45:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Ok, not ever having had an A1 sight system, how do you adjust for different ranges? Or is it set to 50/200?
I do see the benefit. But again, I like being able to adjust for different ranges.
A2 or BUIS is what I always used on the department, but those days are over. So at this point, I'm not wearing Tac gear and busting down doors.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 9:03:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That is true. I'd get one if it was put together. Its just neat that you can even do it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 9:42:35 AM EDT
[#48]
These are cool. It would be great chopped off like the LMT BUIS.

I remember years ago he made an A1 BUIS, I bought one but it had no crossbolt. So, confidence was not too high and I sold it before I used it.

Link Posted: 11/21/2010 9:45:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
These are cool. It would be great chopped off like the LMT BUIS.

I remember years ago he made an A1 BUIS, I bought one but it had no crossbolt. So, confidence was not too high and I sold it before I used it.

IMO that's exactly what this is. The similar design grabbed my attention.

Link Posted: 11/21/2010 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/cgv69/MiddyAR.jpg

You guys should check the EE more often. I recently sold a spare I had. Brand new and completely assembled with an XS Same Plane sight aperture for the ultimate CH IMO. I was only asking $100.00 shipped for it (for $140 worth of parts) but It sat there for weeks before RH33 in this thread was smart enough to buy it

And thank you again for the deal.

Quoted:
I was looking at AIM today, might just get one of these

Looks like a solid unit.

I have one of the Troy fixed rear sights on the way ($40 off the EE) and I have DD A1.5's as well.

-Ray

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top