User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 908
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:27:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tarheel7734:

I prefer the reticle and the eyebox and eye relief of the atacr over razor.

The DMX reticle can be more precise and doesn't obscure the target as much.
View Quote

I will echo this.

I've had the Gen 3, NX8 and Atacr.

Only one I bothered keeping was the Atacr.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:38:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Glitch bump
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:38:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Glitch bump
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:38:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By UndrGrndPrdcts:
Glitch bump
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:41:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

View Quote

Glitch bumps on this thread have been happening for years lol.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:54:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 2Keylows:

View Quote
Cant fix the glitch but will change the entire EE lol

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:57:22 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

Oh I know. I just thought it was funny that we both bumped it at the same time.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:58:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By LsuJon:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LsuJon:

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By tarheel7734:

I prefer the reticle and the eyebox and eye relief of the atacr over razor.

The DMX reticle can be more precise and doesn't obscure the target as much.
View Quote

Thanks for your perspective.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Maddy21:

Thanks for your perspective.
View Quote

Don't get me wrong, the razor gen 3 is a great optic and lots of people love it. It has more illumination than the nightforce.  Ie more of reticle illuminates. I just prefer the atacr.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:20:21 PM EDT
[#11]
i found a colt m4a1 upper at gun show with ris II fsp rail in fde and surefire pinned by d. wilson. got it home and pulled it apart and cant seem to get the top rail to have enough clearance to come off.

i already have the non fsp rail paid for and inbound from the ee. once its perma pinned at the flash hider and fsb is pinned is there any way to swap this thing to non fsp rail? i really like the non fsp variant and havent warmed up to the fsp at all.

should i try to trade the whole thing off or is there a simple thing im over looking?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:26:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't think you can remove it without unpinning the muzzle device and removing the FSB with the rail.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:25:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AK47_COMMBLOC:
i found a colt m4a1 upper at gun show with ris II fsp rail in fde and surefire pinned by d. wilson. got it home and pulled it apart and cant seem to get the top rail to have enough clearance to come off.

i already have the non fsp rail paid for and inbound from the ee. once its perma pinned at the flash hider and fsb is pinned is there any way to swap this thing to non fsp rail? i really like the non fsp variant and havent warmed up to the fsp at all.

should i try to trade the whole thing off or is there a simple thing im over looking?
View Quote

MD has to come off. FSB will need to be removed with the top portion of handguard.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:23:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

MD has to come off. FSB will need to be removed with the top portion of handguard.
View Quote

thanks. thats exactly what i was seeing. im still amazed the design didnt allow for quick and easy block II upgrades of existing weapons.

for some reason they left the front sight base on and rebuilt everything else. why? whats the point of leaving the fsb on there partially blocking view and going to all the trouble?  

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:42:35 AM EDT
[#15]

thanks. thats exactly what i was seeing. im still amazed the design didnt allow for quick and easy block II upgrades of existing weapons.

for some reason they left the front sight base on and rebuilt everything else. why? whats the point of leaving the fsb on there partially blocking view and going to all the trouble?  

View Quote

This is where some units figured they would save some money by using the existing barrel or just wanted the fixed front sight due to its what they were accustomed to.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

The FSP is getting chopped either way, no?  Carefully rough cut the top of it with a dremel or similar tool to create enough room to remove the old rail.  Then nicely trim it down once you have more room to work with.  Install new non fsp rail utilizing the barrel nut already on the upper.  If current rail has 203 hangers installed still, you'll have to remove those by cutting or drilling.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:18:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By THEdtw:

The FSP is getting chopped either way, no?  Carefully rough cut the top of it with a dremel or similar tool to create enough room to remove the old rail.  Then nicely trim it down once you have more room to work with.  Install new non fsp rail utilizing the barrel nut already on the upper.  If current rail has 203 hangers installed still, you'll have to remove those by cutting or drilling.
View Quote

You can remove the hangers without cutting.  I just get a shortened allen key and fits in there fine.  Takes a little bit of finesse is all
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By brodband8:

You can remove the hangers without cutting.  I just get a shortened allen key and fits in there fine.  Takes a little bit of finesse is all
View Quote

You can with the barrel in place?  That's good.  I've never tried.

Also I just looked at my FSP upper and didn't realize how tight the pocket is.  One would have to do a lot more than rough cut, but it could be doable with enough patience and proper tools.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:58:30 AM EDT
[#19]
thanks guys. the front sight post can be cut down but theres no easy way from a machinist's perspective to get in there and do the fsb side contours to get enough clearance to pull the rail off. even if you did remove the lug and sling boss. its sad the way it was designed.

i guess my only option is to grind away the weld at the flash hider to try to remove pin. that would require a phone call to d. wilson. its best i just trade it off for some parts i need. ive already got 2 non fsp rails inbound from the ee plus a 4 prong so far. i just had to start over. this is a long awaited project. i hadnt even finished my other builds and i jumped into this kinda suddenly.

since im excited about putting an elcan dr on top and know nothing about them can anyone here point me in the right direction so i know which model to get and what to pay? new or used salty is fine too. from watching youtube videos on m4a1 so far ive noticed there are good and bad battery types is that true?  whats up with all the color variations of tan, fde, black with bronze being called fde etc? school me please.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#20]
thanks guys. the front sight post can be cut down but theres no easy way from a machinist's perspective to get in there and do the fsb side contours to get enough clearance to pull the rail off. even if you did remove the lug and sling boss. its sad the way it was designed.

i guess my only option is to grind away the weld at the flash hider to try to remove pin. that would require a phone call to d. wilson. its best i just trade it off for some parts i need. ive already got 2 non fsp rails inbound from the ee plus a 4 prong so far. i just had to start over. this is a long awaited project. i hadnt even finished my other builds and i jumped into this kinda suddenly.

since im excited about putting an elcan dr on top and know nothing about them can anyone here point me in the right direction so i know which model to get and what to pay? new or used salty is fine too. from watching youtube videos on m4a1 so far ive noticed there are good and bad battery types is that true?  whats up with all the color variations of tan, fde, black with bronze being called fde etc? school me please.
View Quote

Get a set of files and a dremel and you can reprofile the FSB to fit under the rail, it just takes a few hours.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:08:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Hangman203:

Get a set of files and a dremel and you can reprofile the FSB to fit under the rail, it just takes a few hours.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/530762/IMG_20240514_114937-3214246.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/530762/IMG_20240514_114939-3214247.jpg
View Quote

A few hours ?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:40:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AK47_COMMBLOC] [#22]
looking at the excellent pics posted by hangman203 the problem im seeing is converting pics 1 to pics 2 to get the needed top side contours to pull my fsb type rail. its just not feasible with bridgeport mill.

if rail is bolted in theres still barrel flex if you grab the rail in vice. if you unbolt the rail and attempt to grab barrel directly theres now a rail in the way and no real room to do clearance cuts if some how say you did solve the problem of having the loose rail come along tie down strapped and secured. its just super messy. thats not how machining works.

thats why i say the only way to pull a rail from a perma pinned muzzle device m4a1 upper fsp rail is to grind the weld near muzzle. the other options when you really start to look into it dont pan out.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:45:33 PM EDT
[#23]
heres a nice elcan im watching on ebay. it looks to have the early battery. see link. i only have 23 minutes to make up my mind if i need this or not. price is at 1500. is the old battery compartment a no go or not a big deal? ive only heard the  garand thumb video mention where he says the battery is ''rare''.  makes me wonder. yay or nay? link below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/176368177245?mkevt=1&plmtId=1110100101&mesgId=4001&mkpid=0&emsid=enull.m161499.l174141&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid&bu=44012537470&trkId=def6f37f-7768-3584-873c-002670f56c32&cnvId=a7fb74a1-c76a-4a5d-81a4-a4efd73d9c0c&osub=-1%7E1&crd=20240514115910&segname&recoId=176368177245&recoPos=1
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 4:05:14 PM EDT
[#24]
heres a nice elcan im watching on ebay. it looks to have the early battery. see link. i only have 23 minutes to make up my mind if i need this or not. price is at 1500. is the old battery compartment a no go or not a big deal? ive only heard the  garand thumb video mention where he says the battery is ''rare''.  makes me wonder. yay or nay? link below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/176368177245?mkevt=1&plmtId=1110100101&mesgId=4001&mkpid=0&emsid=enull.m161499.l174141&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid&bu=44012537470&trkId=def6f37f-7768-3584-873c-002670f56c32&cnvId=a7fb74a1-c76a-4a5d-81a4-a4efd73d9c0c&osub=-1%7E1&crd=20240514115910&segname&recoId=176368177245&recoPos=1
View Quote

IMO the commercial elcans reticles suck.  Stick to an su230
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 4:10:41 PM EDT
[#25]

A few hours ?
View Quote

That was an exaggeration, but I wasn't exactly paying attention to the clock, I just looked at the time stamps on the photos, there is about 1 hour and 15 minutes between them. I was going slow trying not to remove more material than necessary, so two hours from disassembly to reassembly with new rail is probably more accurate, but still conservative.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#26]

https://www.ebay.com/itm/176368177245?mkevt=1&;plmtId=1110100101&mesgId=4001&mkpid=0&emsid=enull.m161499.l174141&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid&bu=44012537470&trkId=def6f37f-7768-3584-873c-002670f56c32&cnvId=a7fb74a1-c76a-4a5d-81a4-a4efd73d9c0c&osub=-1%7E1&crd=20240514115910&segname&recoId=176368177245&recoPos=1
View Quote
you can get su230s for 1500
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

years ago i passed on a military surplus elcan at crossroads of the west gunshow in az. seller said it was fake and that he wanted 500 or something like that for it. it didnt look fake to me it looked kinda salty and real so i assumed it was just broken and kept going thru the gunshow. it was gone next time i passed by.

next i saw a nice one years later at same show and should have bought it but it was 1200 or so and i hadnt researched them yet. then i remember seeing the coolest one i had ever seen on gunbroker that was salty and had the coolest bronze patina imaginable. a buddy of mine had it that i had done trades with before and i regret to this day not grabbing it.

now im hunting for one learning as i go. if you know where i can find an actual military model for 1500 please let me know where so i can get my build up and shooting. that would be awesome. im actually talking to a guy here in the ee who has a neat colored one with piggy back set up and late battery im guessing but its 2200 bucks.

maybe ill just get that one and an older one to have both variations since one has the neat color and piggy back optic and other is such a different fde color and has collector value. ive already got 2 non fsp rails so im building at least 2. any advice is much appreciated.

my original plan was to try out a vcog on one but i like the look of the elcan on m4a1 mostly.  if theres 2 vastly different elcans that can be mounted on these clones and they both dont suck then ill likely need 2 im guessing.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:03:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AK47_COMMBLOC] [#28]

That was an exaggeration, but I wasn't exactly paying attention to the clock, I just looked at the time stamps on the photos, there is about 1 hour and 15 minutes between them. I was going slow trying not to remove more material than necessary, so two hours from disassembly to reassembly with new rail is probably more accurate, but still conservative.
View Quote

2 hours doesnt sound crazy really. to do a proper low profile job on that sight base at the top sides contour and bottom lug and boss removal its best to take time and be careful unless your set up already to do that kind of work with jigs.

i know when i go to do a simple task i often spend twice as long as i had hoped. something always comes up in these cases. in my opinion it looks like mill or dremel work mostly. files might dull quickly and bounce when they hit investment cast type parts like that. doesnt look like fun at all.

if i had to guess a first time job would take 2 hours if you take your time and get grinder grit absolutely everywhere. hard pass. worst case scenario i had a cheap chinese dremel bit turn to powdered dust when i went to cut something like this once. it messed up my eyes for i think 2 weeks even though i had osha approved safety glasses on. my goggles had fogged up.

with that said if i could remove the fsp rail on mine id grind on the sight base. lol. my need for this clone is unwavering.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:09:11 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

got a link to where i can view the 2 different reticles? im all about reticles. the reticle im aware of has a side range finding scale and bdc holds out to 600 then volley fire holds out to 1000 looked like. is it calibrated for 14.5 inch barrel and 62 grain or not a true bdc?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:16:01 PM EDT
[#30]
maybe ill just get that one and an older one to have both variations since one has the neat color and piggy back optic and other is such a different fde color and has collector value. ive already got 2 non fsp rails so im building at least 2. any advice is much appreciated.
View Quote

To echo others, definitely hold out for a 230.  They can be had for fair prices.  EE is a good option, but don't forget to check TS and the IG gear pages.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#31]
what is the TS and the IG gear pages? got a link or what does TS and IG stand for? ill check it out. thank you.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#32]

years ago i passed on a military surplus elcan at crossroads of the west gunshow in az. seller said it was fake and that he wanted 500 or something like that for it. it didnt look fake to me it looked kinda salty and real so i assumed it was just broken and kept going thru the gunshow. it was gone next time i passed by.

next i saw a nice one years later at same show and should have bought it but it was 1200 or so and i hadnt researched them yet. then i remember seeing the coolest one i had ever seen on gunbroker that was salty and had the coolest bronze patina imaginable. a buddy of mine had it that i had done trades with before and i regret to this day not grabbing it.

now im hunting for one learning as i go. if you know where i can find an actual military model for 1500 please let me know where so i can get my build up and shooting. that would be awesome. im actually talking to a guy here in the ee who has a neat colored one with piggy back set up and late battery im guessing but its 2200 bucks.

my original plan was to try out a vcog on one but i like the look of the elcan on m4a1 mostly.  if theres 2 vastly different elcans that can be mounted on these clones and they both dont suck then ill likely need 2 im guessing.

View All Quotes

Both

With some patience and relentless searching, you can get a milsurp for a decent price.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:36:12 PM EDT
[#33]
what is the TS and the IG gear pages? got a link or what does TS and IG stand for? ill check it out. thank you.
View Quote

TacSwap. I don't Insta so I'm of no help there.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Prices of su230s are falling cause let's face it they are old and units are ditching them for LPVOs so the market will be saturated.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:03:02 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Tac Swap and Instagram.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#36]

That was an exaggeration<
View All Quotes

A few hours ?

That was an exaggeration<

Gotcha.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:16:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AK47_COMMBLOC] [#37]

Tac Swap and Instagram.
View Quote

im liking tacswap so far. do i need to sign up or anything i should know about that place? i had never heard of it until you guys just showed me. thank you.

as far as instagram ive never once signed up for all the kinds of stuff like instagram facebook twitter snapchat i dont know the names of them all but you get the point. if i have my tech saavy asian girl wife sign me up for instagram just to buy gun stuff is it worth it or no? can i view instagram gun boards without signing up there? im that new to it. not even joking.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:49:19 PM EDT
[#38]

im liking tacswap so far. do i need to sign up or anything i should know about that place? i had never heard of it until you guys just showed me. thank you.

as far as instagram ive never once signed up for all the kinds of stuff like instagram facebook twitter snapchat i dont know the names of them all but you get the point. if i have my tech saavy asian girl wife sign me up for instagram just to buy gun stuff is it worth it or no? can i view instagram gun boards without signing up there? im that new to it. not even joking.
View All Quotes

Tac Swap and Instagram.

If you do Reddit you can always try GAFS subreddit, too.  They seem to pop up frequently on there for $1500-ish.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:14:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By teamjawbox:

If you do Reddit you can always try GAFS subreddit, too.  They seem to pop up frequently on there for $1500-ish.
View Quote

That's pricing for real beat up normally.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:03:48 AM EDT
[#40]
well you guys sent me over there to tactrade or whatever and i signed up and made a deal on a pair of salty beater gen 3 su-230s one is hd one is not both missing the piggy back optics but mounts are there. also making a deal on a more brown colored one thats brand new that uses this as its search title on gun.deals when i googled the box lid.

Elcan SpecterDR Dual Role 1-4x Optical Sight, Integral A.R.M.S. Picatinny Mount, Anti-Reflection Device, 5.56, CX5395 Ballistic Reticle, Flat Dark Earth, DFOV14-T1 665950000063

what did i buy school me please. been up all night and managed to upset someone who didnt like me offering to pay with a usps postal money order just to be on the safe side. seller sent me his ebay which he replied to and seems legit.  that was alot of work! i need rest.

oh and there were scammers selling the same elcan stuff when i searched the boards. both were banned when i clicked on the listings.
totally different place over there. i still dont know how to navigate that site. i found alot of neat stuff over there to buy i need to slow down.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:47:38 AM EDT
[#41]
nevermind. seller with the later model elcan that was mint turned out to be a scammer. he sent me someone elses feedback page when i finally looked at it. that sucks. probably the same guy that got banned twice.

i guess im down to just 2 su-230 now which are salty. ill try to add an optic on top to make one different flavored. where should i look for top optic or is it even needed on gen 3? why have a 1 x red dot with another 1x red dot on top? whats the point?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:52:23 AM EDT
[#42]
nevermind. seller with the later model elcan that was mint turned out to be a scammer. he sent me someone elses feedback page when i finally looked at it. that sucks. probably the same guy that got banned twice.

i guess im down to just 2 su-230 now which are salty. ill try to add an optic on top to make one different flavored. where should i look for top optic or is it even needed on gen 3? why have a 1 x red dot with another 1x red dot on top? whats the point?
View Quote

TS is full of scammers unfortunately.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:34:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: teamjawbox] [#43]

View All Quotes

Very true.  I picked this one up a couple years ago off GAFS.  $1800 shipped/full insured.  It’s an HD with the old style battery/cap with piggy back mount and iron sights.  Had the perfect amount of salt. I’ve seen some go for a fair bit less lately, guessing due to more being surplussed out in the time since I picked mine up.

I really love that optic.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:44:04 PM EDT
[#44]

Elcan SpecterDR Dual Role 1-4x Optical Sight, Integral A.R.M.S. Picatinny Mount, Anti-Reflection Device, 5.56, CX5395 Ballistic Reticle, Flat Dark Earth, DFOV14-T1 665950000063

what did i buy school me please. been up all night and managed to upset someone who didnt like me offering to pay with a usps postal money order just to be on the safe side. seller sent me his ebay which he replied to and seems legit.  that was alot of work! i need rest.
View Quote

Tacswap is full of scammers.  That DFOV14 is a commercial elcan.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:22:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: runguns] [#45]
I lucked out and was able to score an Optics Planet eDemo elcan on Gunbroker for $1300.00 last year. It arrived wrapped in bubble wrap with no manual or accessories, but it was flawless
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#46]

Very true.  I picked this one up a couple years ago off GAFS.  $1800 shipped/full insured.  It’s an HD with the old style battery/cap with piggy back mount and iron sights.  Had the perfect amount of salt. I’ve seen some go for a fair bit less lately, guessing due to more being surplussed out in the time since I picked mine up.

I really love that optic.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/343681/IMG_5420_jpeg-3214962.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/343681/IMG_5419_jpeg-3214960.JPG
View Quote

thats what i have en route. mine are twice as salty and need buis and tether cables which im not sure where to find if they are in fact available. do these units eat batteries like eotech or more like an aimpoint? where do you supply batteries from or any battery brands to stick with?

i noticed you guys say the reticle on su is better or more collectable or something. i really thought the later ranging reticle was nicer on first glance. whats the scoop on the 2 reticles?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:36:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AK47_COMMBLOC] [#47]

View Quote

verified lol. the aimpoint t2 section over there was red hot for scammers most the listings were marked as banned etc. what is GAFS?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#48]

verified lol. what is GAFS?
View All Quotes

verified lol. what is GAFS?

Reddit. Gun Accessories For Sale (GAFS)
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:10:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Got my first personal can in today.. 5 days from atf getting paperwork to approval. It's a socom 300sps because that was all available.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:46:17 AM EDT
[#50]
where can a fella find the buis set that fits on top of the su-230? both of mine are missing them. actually one has just the front buis. did anyone here take theirs off and put them in a spare parts bin? a quick search online didnt show any available.

also on the mrds that sits on top mine have the mounts for them. where can i go to learn what all optics fit and which one do you guys prefer for block II? like which ones are correct and which ones work the best. all i know is doctor and xoptyk or something like that so far. thanks.

Page / 908
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top