BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/24/2014 12:07:42 PM EDT
Not yet anyway, I still have to silver solder it  

We have been arguing a lot lately about the sanity of the 14.5" barrel vs the 16" (non NFA)  I have a few of them and never worried about changing of the barrel nut until I wanted one of the new Gieselles to replace my Fortis.

If I butcher this bitch, then I will post the results, and we can all judge how bad this situation with the permanent FH really is.  Removal was cake, took about 10 minutes with me being careful.  The muzzle device is definitely sacrificial

BCM Upper, BCM did the pin/weld on the A2x

Dremeled out a few different times, wider area each time, stopping to tap with a hammer, and put pressure on with wrench.

One tap with a hammer from the opposite side, after 3rd session with dremel, and the pin popped right out.  Barrel threads are fine.

I will add the pics of the silver solder job.  Still have to pound the taper pins out of the GB, and get the Gieselle barrel nut on there.

Flame on

Link Posted: 6/24/2014 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Not yet anyway, I still have to silver solder it  

We have been arguing a lot lately about the sanity of the 14.5" barrel vs the 16" (non NFA)  I have a few of them and never worried about changing of the barrel nut until I wanted one of the new Gieselles to replace my Fortis.

If I butcher this bitch, then I will post the results, and we can all judge how bad this situation with the permanent FH really is.  Removal was cake, took about 10 minutes with me being careful.  The muzzle device is definitely sacrificial

BCM Upper, BCM did the pin/weld on the A2x

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h385/alaskaLTZ/IMG_1835_zpsd6b4d080.jpg

Dremeled out a few different times, wider area each time, stopping to tap with a hammer, and put pressure on with wrench.

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h385/alaskaLTZ/IMG_1845_zps58ce5488.jpg

One tap with a hammer from the opposite side, after 3rd session with dremel, and the pin popped right out.  Barrel threads are fine.

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h385/alaskaLTZ/IMG_1848_zps06ac0c2d.jpg

I will add the pics of the silver solder job.  Still have to pound the taper pins out of the GB, and get the Gieselle barrel nut on there.

Flame on

View Quote

Looks better than when I removed my NT4 last year. I had to hit the barrel threads with a thread file. Luckily it all worked out in the end. Good luck with the Silver Solder.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn! Did you use a Beaver to naw out all that metal just to find the pin?
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.  Much beaver was utilized.

ETA: The justification, my new MK5.   I am not the Rail of the Month Club Treasurer, but the Fortis and I didn't gel
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 1:43:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Edited as this is not GD...VA-gunnut

Tagged

Link Posted: 6/24/2014 1:55:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Your rail has dicks

Tagged
View Quote

You know how I know.... ??

Link Posted: 6/24/2014 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I could never understand the logic with pinning and welding.

Extended A2 flash hider $35.00 (Add one hundred dll's if you want to be the cool kid on the block sporting the latest in muzzle taming tech).
Labor to pin & weld        $45.00 or more
Shipping the barrel to and from ADCO $30.00. $15.00 to and $15.00 back (give or take)
Total $110.00 or more
---------------------------------

Add another $90.00 and some patience and you have a registered NFA lower

$110.00
$90.00
$200.00 tax stamp

I'm on my 4th registered lower and well let me just say I'm pleased with the flexibility that comes with NFA ownership. No whining about your state doesn't allow SBR's. You chose to live there. I chose to flee Kalifornia twenty years ago and have never regretted that decision. No gangs, little traffic, nice folks, good weather in most of the state. Best of all our STATE constitution has all kinds of build in protections for gun owners who can live without racking up a felony.

We just passed an amendment to our STATE constitution that makes it illegal for Idaho peace officers to enforce FEDERAL gun laws.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 2:42:59 PM EDT
[#8]
The rant doesn't apply to me.  I have 4 lowers in SBR process, so then I will STILL have 4 14.5s pinned, plus my (2) 12.5s, 11.5, and MK18.

I am not here to justify, or argue.  I like 14.5s, and I cannot lie.

I am just showing this worst case scenario where the hider has to come off for a barrel nut change.  It really doesn't bother me, I have all the tools and enjoy it.  I just prefer the 14.5 over my 16s
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 2:44:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Your rail has dicks

Tagged
View Quote

Sometimes a keymod is just a keymod.  Now, tell me about your mother.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 2:59:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the pinned 14.5s
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 3:08:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Extended A2 flash hider $35.00 (Add one hundred dll's if you want to be the cool kid on the block sporting the latest in muzzle taming tech).
Shipping the barrel to and from ADCO $30.00. $15.00 to and $15.00 back (give or take)
Total $110.00 or more

$110.00
$90.00
$200.00 tax stamp

I'm on my 4th registered lower and well let me just say I'm pleased with the flexibility that comes with NFA ownership. No whining about your state doesn't allow SBR's. You chose to live there. I chose to flee Kalifornia twenty years ago and have never regretted that decision. No gangs, little traffic, nice folks, good weather in most of the state. Best of all our STATE constitution has all kinds of build in protections for gun owners who can live without racking up a felony.

We just passed an amendment to our STATE constitution that makes it illegal for Idaho peace officers to enforce FEDERAL gun laws.
View Quote

You seem to forget. There are a lot of guys on here that know how to weld. So it's a very simple thing to do.
Not all states allow SBR's.
I would much rather have a welded in pin.
Then subject a barrel to the 1100 degrees to silver solder it according to ATF specs.
It's the OP's own fault that he gouged out that muzzle device like he did. Looks like he used a 4 1/2" angle grinder.
Hell he could have plunged cut it out. With a 3 flute center cutting end mill, the next size up from the pin.. When through the weld the pin would have spun. He then could have done the work, and welded the pin back in. Real tough.
Also if I wanted an SBR it would be something where the stock could be folded too. And used in that position, if need be.
So it sure as hell wouldn't be an AR!!
But I'm content with the ways are now.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 3:15:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Your rail has dicks

Tagged
View Quote

I prefer the Costco racking imagery
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 3:37:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You seem to forget. There are a lot of guys on here that know how to weld. So it's a very simple thing to do.
Then subject a barrel to the 1100 degrees to silver solder it according to ATF specs.
It's the OP's own fault that he gouged out that muzzle device like he did. Looks like he used a 4 1/2" angle grinder.
Hell he could have plunged cut it out. With a 3 flute center cutting end mill, the next size up from the pin.. When through the weld the pin would have spun. He then could have done the work, and welded the pin back in. Real tough.
Also if I wanted an SBR it would be something where the stock could be folded too. And used in that position, if need be.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Total $110.00 or more

$110.00
$90.00
$200.00 tax stamp

Who cares about the look of that one I cut off?  I took literally 10 minutes taking my time.  I used a very small stone on a dremel.  When it would not release the pin, I had to cut out some more.  It was quick, and worked great.  I have a new AAC Blackout.

I don't understand the criticism.  I knew it would be junk before I removed it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 3:51:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 3:56:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Total $110.00 or more

$110.00

$90.00

$200.00 tax stamp

View Quote
Idaho rocks.

Link Posted: 6/24/2014 4:10:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Who cares about the look of that one I cut off?  I took literally 10 minutes taking my time.  I used a very small stone on a dremel.  When it would not release the pin, I had to cut out some more.  It was quick, and worked great.  I have a new AAC Blackout.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Total $110.00 or more

$110.00

$90.00

$200.00 tax stamp

No kidding, it's a throw away flash hider!

And if you don't want an AR15 SBR, start your own thread in a different forum where it's appropriate.

To Alaska: Looks like a job well done to me. Everyone think they are the only ones in the room professional enough to handle guns these days
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
State, county and city cops couldn't enforce federal laws before, just like feds can't pull you over for speeding (state law).  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We just passed an amendment to our STATE constitution that makes it illegal for Idaho peace officers to enforce FEDERAL gun laws.[/span][/span]

State, county and city cops couldn't enforce federal laws before, just like feds can't pull you over for speeding (state law).  

Exactly. That Amendment is totally unnecessary and clawless.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 4:14:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Your gun, your rules, who cares what anyone else thinks!  I don't worry about what people think when I write articles or post pictures.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your gun, your rules, who cares what anyone else thinks!  I don't worry about what people think when I write articles or post pictures.  

thats because you know you're pictures make 99.999999999999999999993% of the ar/ gun world drool.... :D
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Total $110.00 or more

$110.00
$90.00
$200.00 tax stamp

View Quote

You forgot one very important step... CLEO signature.

Some just will not sign.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You forgot one very important step... CLEO signature. Form a Trust.

Some just will not sign, and take control of things that you can control.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Total $110.00 or more

$110.00
$90.00
$200.00 tax stamp

You forgot one very important step... CLEO signature. Form a Trust.

Some just will not sign, and take control of things that you can control.

Link Posted: 6/24/2014 4:45:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Some just will not sign.
View Quote

And the hassle of taking an NFA weapon across state lines, for those of us who travel on occasion. I also feel better about leaving a non-NFA weapon beside my bed.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 4:51:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

And the hassle of taking an NFA weapon across state lines, for those of us who travel on occasion. I also feel better about leaving a non-NFA weapon beside my bed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some just will not sign.

Yep. State lines is a big one.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 5:09:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Taper pins out, gas block off, now I just need my barrel blocks and receiver blocks back from my buddy and I can get the nut off.  I gave it a quick try in the Panther Claw...BCM put the snug on this one!
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 5:22:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Total $110.00 or more

$110.00
$90.00
$200.00 tax stamp

how hot do you think a welding arc is?
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 5:41:30 PM EDT
[#26]
For us Military folk who have to PCS all the time all over the country, NFA items are a PITA.  This is why I never built an SBR.  But now that we have the SB15 brace...I can make a nice pistol :)
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Taper pins out, gas block off, now I just need my barrel blocks and receiver blocks back from my buddy and I can get the nut off.  I gave it a quick try in the Panther Claw...BCM put the snug on this one!
View Quote

Heat gun!
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 5:47:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Heat gun!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heat gun!

Yeah, I just want to get that upper block on so I can get the whole thing in the vice.  With the luck I have had this week, I don't want to mess up a TD lug.  The 14.5 haters would have me over a barrel then
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Total $110.00 or more

$110.00
$90.00
$200.00 tax stamp

Oh it's hot, but it's applied in a very limited area. Actually my comment was more directed to someone who wanted to reuse his muzzle device. Not put a new one on. Just remove it to do some other work. Then reinstall it.
If it's a throw away it's meaningless what is done to it.
I find it funny that I IM'd the OP to explain what I really meant.
Being one that has spent  most of his whole life as a Tool & Die Maker.
I forget that other people don't think like I do about things.
Really didn't mean to start a shit storm.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 6:10:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Oh it's hot, but it's applied in a very limited area. Actually my comment was more directed to someone who wanted to reuse his muzzle device. Not put a new one on. Just remove it to do some other work. Then reinstall it.
If it's a throw away it's meaningless what is done to it.
I find it funny that I IM'd the OP to explain what I really meant.
Being one that has spent  most of his whole life as a Tool & Die Maker.
I forget that other people don't think like I do about things.
Really didn't mean to start a shit storm.
View Quote

All good, I replied prior to seeing your IM I have heat sink clay, and paste for the barrel, and I will post pics before I burn her up

The paste and clay should work great on the barrel, I have used it on a lot of dissimilar metal brazing that I have done.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 6:13:10 PM EDT
[#31]
That sir is a damn fine looking handguard. Looking forward to seeing pictures of the finished product.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 6:20:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Why couldn't you grind the weld flat a bit then just clamp the barrel down on a drill press and drill out the pin itself.  I'm planning to measure the complete depth to where the pin seats into the dimple I will drill in the barrel threads so I know how far to drill if I ever want to get it out.  This way I don't end up destroying the md should I ever want to change stuff out.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 6:26:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Why couldn't you grind the weld flat a bit then just clamp the barrel down on a drill press and drill out the pin itself.  I'm planning to measure the complete depth to where the pin seats into the dimple I will drill in the barrel threads so I know how far to drill if I ever want to get it out.  This way I don't end up destroying the md should I ever want to change stuff out.
View Quote

If I had wanted to, I would have tried to save it.  This was a quick grind and rip.  No intention of saving the MD
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 6:45:07 PM EDT
[#34]
I understand it being an a2 and no biggie if it gets sacrificed, but with nicer MD's (like the flash comp I'm pin'ng & welding) it would seem like a waste.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 7:25:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Good job.

Looking forward to the finish results.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#36]
I love how the tech forums are being overran with experts that always know a better way of doing something, yet they never start their own threads of their own projects. I wonder why that is?
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I love how the tech forums are being overran with experts that always know a better way of doing something, yet they never start their own threads of their own projects. I wonder why that is?
View Quote

Personally I didn't realize it was just a long A2, he was removing.
I know myself I don't think about starting a post on how to do something. Just for the fact that I would believe someone, already did it.
It's only when I see something that I might try to a make suggestion.
I'm not the only one here like that.
Yes I was a little rough on the OP. But that's been resolved.
Personally I have not had to remove any pinned flash hiders. But how I'd do it is still the same. I've removed a lot of blind pins when I was working.
As stated once you cut through the weld attaching the pin. Your cutter will spin on the pin. It can be removed then.
You do your work that needs to be done. Set your barrel back up, and if using the same device. Just reweld it.
If installing a new one. Indicate the pin, screw the new attachment on the barrel. Then drill a hole through the new flash hider, ect. Drop in a new pin and weld.
When I drill and pin. I cut the back end off the drill that I used, for the hole. Shorten it, and use that for my pin. Welding over it and filling up the hole left purposely above the pin.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 10:35:42 PM EDT
[#38]
I seriously considered a pin and weld, but I would prefer to TIG.  We no longer have a TIG at work, and I can't make it as pretty with a MIG.  I may still try it, now that I have the sacrificial A2 to get my heat perfect on a practice run.  I would just knock the end off a HSS bit for a pin.
Not sure, will still likely braze it with 65% silver wire.  If I didn't have this delay in my plans due to my friend having my blocks, I wouldn't have second guessed and already had the damn thing done.  Nut is too tight to risk lug damage, I may just heat it up if I don't get my blocks by tomorrow afternoon.

My intention for this thread spawned from all the disdain for these pinned hiders.  Since I was always a proponent, and never thought I would actually change one, I wanted to give the opposition a fair shake on what a pain they think this is.  It won't sway me, I still love the 14.5s.  Just wanted to get one done.  Best laid plans, and all that...  
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 12:49:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I seriously considered a pin and weld, but I would prefer to TIG.  We no longer have a TIG at work, and I can't make it as pretty with a MIG.  I may still try it, now that I have the sacrificial A2 to get my heat perfect on a practice run.  I would just knock the end off a HSS bit for a pin.
Not sure, will still likely braze it with 65% silver wire.  If I didn't have this delay in my plans due to my friend having my blocks, I wouldn't have second guessed and already had the damn thing done.  Nut is too tight to risk lug damage, I may just heat it up if I don't get my blocks by tomorrow afternoon.

My intention for this thread spawned from all the disdain for these pinned hiders.  Since I was always a proponent, and never thought I would actually change one, I wanted to give the opposition a fair shake on what a pain they think this is.  It won't sway me, I still love the 14.5s.  Just wanted to get one done.  Best laid plans, and all that...  
View Quote

I have a local welder do mine, costs me 20 buck and a 5 minute drive. You probably have someone in your area up to the task with a TIG. I wouldn't go the silver solder route. Pin/weld/carry on!
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 5:33:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 5:33:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Is this a CWAR build?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  Much beaver was utilized.

ETA: The justification, my new MK5.   I am not the Rail of the Month Club Treasurer, but the Fortis and I didn't gel
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h385/alaskaLTZ/DSCF5263_zps82075fbe.jpg

Is this a CWAR build?

CWAR is not 14.5 or keymod.

Link Posted: 6/25/2014 5:35:16 AM EDT
[#42]
I would like to see a good "how to" (hopefully on video) on silver soldering a muzzle device to see if it is something I would be comfortable trying. There is not much good information available, at least not that I can find on the Internet.

It never hurts to have options and it is a legal way to perm a muzzle device.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 6:30:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 7:30:24 AM EDT
[#44]
I've had VERY GOOD results with using the high temperature Silver Solder PASTE that Brownells sells.

The key to a great job is preparation. Clean the hell out of both the barrel threads and flash suppressor threads. Liberally apply heat stop paste above and below the work area INCLUDING the bore. I PACK the bore with heat stop for around a couple of inches to prevent scaling.

Use an Oxy-Acetylene torch and get on it hard and fast, then let it cool down by just sitting.

I don't like using propane or Mapp gas because the longer it takes to heat up the work area the more heat progression you will get.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 8:32:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I've had VERY GOOD results with using the high temperature Silver Solder PASTE that Brownells sells.

The key to a great job is preparation. Clean the hell out of both the barrel threads and flash suppressor threads. Liberally apply heat stop paste above and below the work area INCLUDING the bore. I PACK the bore with heat stop for around a couple of inches to prevent scaling.

Use an Oxy-Acetylene torch and get on it hard and fast, then let it cool down by just sitting.

I don't like using propane or Mapp gas because the longer it takes to heat up the work area the more heat progression you will get.
View Quote

This will be my method, other than the silver paste.  I will use 65 wire and I think I will drill a small hole rather than trying to go in from the end.  It will look no worse than a pin weld.  Hopefully my day calms down and I can get this done today
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 8:53:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Says you!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CWAR is not 14.5 or keymod.

Says you!

Quoted:
Lets get official.

CWAR- 18 or 16 inch accurate barrel. Full length rail. TA33, SSA-E trigger.
She-CWAR -14.5 pinned lightweight barrel, Full or mid length rail. (Mod 0 is MK4, Mod 1 is ALG EMR.) SSA-E trigger.
ROCWAR- 12.5 barrel, mid length rail.(Mod 0 js MK4, Mod 1 is EMR.) TA33, SSF trigger.
SCWAR - 10.5 barrel, mid length rail. Low power optic (T-1 or TA44s), SSA-E or SSA trigger.

Quoted:

Mlok is allowable, keymod is not.

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 8:27:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Isn't it funny how things work out?

2 tax stamp approvals this morning

I will still go through with the weld.

Damn it man I want to play with SBRs tonight, not silver solder !

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 8:43:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Congrat's on your stamp's

Roughly how many rounds do you have through that barrel ? The muzzle crown looks clean, I removed my F/H after about 1000 rounds or so and the carbon was
caked on in little spike shapes around the crown. If you cleaned it how did you go about it? Thanks
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The rant doesn't apply to me.  I have 4 lowers in SBR process, so then I will STILL have 4 14.5s pinned, plus my (2) 12.5s, 11.5, and MK18.

I am not here to justify, or argue.  I like 14.5s, and I cannot lie.

I am just showing this worst case scenario where the hider has to come off for a barrel nut change.  It really doesn't bother me, I have all the tools and enjoy it.  I just prefer the 14.5 over my 16s
View Quote

Same here. I'll never buy another barrel longer than 14.5". I shoot to 200 to 300 yards mostly. 400 yards is an extreme maximum for my shooting needs and likes. And, I like NOT having to register any damned thing, ever!
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed Alaska 511. Stick, I enjoy your pics and articles...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top