Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
FightLite / ARES SCR Pics (Page 16 of 45)
Page / 45
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 9:06:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm jelly of the muzzle brake.

<-Lives in NYS
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:18:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MRW:
Gawd, it's perfet

how's the cheekweld with those irons
View Quote

The irons are petty dang good. Also I'm pretty surprised how soft it shoots.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 9:44:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By JoshAston:
X-Products, NFA, Gibzz are all made by the same company.  I don't know that it's Gibzz making them, they were just the first to market them.  If it looks like the Gibzz, it's made by the same company.
View Quote

Not entirely true.  I asked one of them (maybe Working Man's Armory, but don't quote me on that) a while back and was told that they are part of a small manufacturing group that shares designs.  So, I believe they all work off of the same basic plan, making a few small tweaks here and there, but then produce them themselves.  I suppose it's possible that one of them has agreed to produce some for one of the others.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 11:45:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SCRowner] [#4]
Hey guys what are the specs I need to know on a 50 state compliant barrel. I mean I know the legal specs for my juristion, 16" or greater and no flash hider, but what else do I need to know about barrel (and/or handguard combination)? Anything specific to SCR from a technical aspect?
thanks!
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 5:06:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Castillo] [#5]
Originally Posted By SCRowner:
Hey guys what are the specs I need to know on a 50 state compliant barrel. I mean I know the legal specs for my juristion, 16" or greater and no flash hider, but what else do I need to know about barrel (and/or handguard combination)? Anything specific to SCR from a technical aspect?
thanks!
View Quote

Not just no FH, no threads either. No bayonet lug.

Barrel and hand guards don't matter, but you can't attach a vertical fore grip or angled fore grip.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 11:40:55 AM EDT
[#6]
How well does this lower cycle subsonic .458?   I've decided on an ASA side charger upper and a 10.5" .458 Socom barrel for my SCR build. Will have an 11" form1 can on the end so want to keep her short.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 3:22:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Castillo:

Barrel and hand guards don't matter, but you can't attach a vertical fore grip or angled fore grip.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
thanks!

OK I just checked in my jurisdiction . Threads are fine as long as it is 16". threads do not have to be permanently  covered either.
Where I am, a threaded barrel on a pistol is illegal (you can own a barrel but cannot be on the pistol), but on any rifle threads are fine as long as you are at 16". They guys at my firearms registry said the confusion where I am is from people with barrels of less than 16" who non permanently affix a device (other than flash hider which is illegal per se) to a below 16" barrel.

So this may vary state to state depending on precise language used
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 3:53:00 PM EDT
[#8]

OK I just checked in my jurisdiction . Threads are fine as long as it is 16". threads do not have to be permanently  covered either.
Where I am, a threaded barrel on a pistol is illegal (you can own a barrel but cannot be on the pistol), but on any rifle threads are fine as long as you are at 16". They guys at my firearms registry said the confusion where I am is from people with barrels of less than 16" who non permanently affix a device (other than flash hider which is illegal per se) to a below 16" barrel.

View All Quotes
thanks!

You asked about 50 state. I don't know where you are, so you may have certain things that you can or can not have in your state specifically.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 7:41:55 PM EDT
[#9]

You asked about 50 state. I don't know where you are, so you may have certain things that you can or can not have in your state specifically.
View All Quotes
thanks!

Absolutely and you are correct to point that out. Do we know which states prohibit threads on otherwise >16" barrels?
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 8:27:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Absolutely and you are correct to point that out. Do we know which states prohibit threads on otherwise >16" barrels?
View All Quotes
thanks!

Doesn't one of the ban states still require an HBAR barrel profile?
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:57:45 PM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes
thanks!

New York for one.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 12:42:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Moondog:  Doesn't one of the ban states still require an HBAR barrel profile?
View Quote

Maryland, though I'm not sure if it's the actual profile, or just the name of the model.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 6:38:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Maryland requires HBARs on DI AR15s in 5.56.  And there is no legal definition of what an HBAR is, so as long as the manufacturer (you if you're building the rifle) say that it's an HBAR, it's legal.  AR15s in other caliber or using pistons do not require HBARs.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 7:14:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:00:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MatthewVanitas] [#15]
View All Quotes

I *really* dig the KISS on this build! Small question, did you consider putting an extra-long fore-end onto it to get more sight radius, but chose to buy a shorter one, or already had that mid-size one on hand?

EDIT: I find it funny that after all the trouble regular AR owners put into jacking their optics way high up to get good ergonomics, here all the SCR owners are playing 'how low can you go?" limbo to scooch their sights down to get good cheekweld. Really digging how these builds have evolved as the SCR has been on the market; I'm legit slightly sad that I no longer live in a ban state (moved from DC to TX last week) so don't have the same urgency to get an SCR anymore, though it's still on my long list.

So what would be the feasibility of throwing an SIG MCX upper on one of these lowers? You wouldn't have to swap bolt carriers and it gives you the flexibility to use a piston system.

Not to shill for Ares, but they have a drop-in piston kit they make that's compatible with the SCR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjCrD6mjYac
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Do we know which states prohibit threads on otherwise >16" barrels?
View Quote

In CA the SCR is essentially classified as a featureless build.  It allows a detachable mag of any capacity.  However if you have a detachable mag AND a flash hider (or any of the other features defined by CA law such as a pistol grip or collapsible stock) you have created an unregistered "assault weapon" and would be required to add a mag lock (bullet button) and be limited to 10 round mags.

So threaded barrels on long guns in CA are allowed.  A muzzle brake would be okay.  lol  Confused yet?  You should see the stupidity related to bullpups in CA.

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 9:34:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By operatorerror:So threaded barrels on long guns in CA are allowed.  A muzzle brake would be okay.  lol  Confused yet?  You should see the stupidity related to bullpups in CA
View Quote

Good to know. it helps with my decision,  I want to go up to the law but not over in my jurisdiction. But there is also the very long term consideration of having it 50 state legal if one of my heirs lives elsewhere. Of course that is a benefit of scr using AR parts.. if owner or heir moves to more stringent jurisdiction, features can be swapped out fairly easy, and if to jurisdiction with more liberty,  features, including even an ar-15 lower receiver can be swapped in.

Looking at detail of law in my jurisdiction, a 16" with threads is ok.

This gives me these options:
a) Ares style 50 state legal 16" barrel with no threads or 16"threaded with permanently affixed thread protector
b) my jurisdiction legal 16" with threads and non-permanently affixed  thread protector
c) 14.5"barel with permanently  affixed muzzle brake or fake flashhider to bring it to 16"

So I will likely just non-permanently affix a thread protector o a 16" barrel, and let my kids know if they own it to check local law if they move elsewhere and permanently  affix it or swap out barrel.

I don't see an upside for me with option C. The <16" benefit is CQ, vehicle egress, and concealability, and you get none of that if you are going to bring it back to 16" with a permanently affixed device. and you lose 1.5" or 10% of rifling. A brake has some nominal benefit but also is own downsides (noise, cost for a good one, damage to scopes).
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 10:28:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By MatthewVanitas:

I *really* dig the KISS on this build! Small question, did you consider putting an extra-long fore-end onto it to get more sight radius, but chose to buy a shorter one, or already had that mid-size one on hand?

View All Quotes

Mid size was on sale

Also just prefer that length.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 10:47:56 PM EDT
[#19]
GAs system length question:

I am doing a build on an MC lower with side charger lower by Matrix, Most of the 16" barrels I am looking at have mid length systems instead of carbine length systems Ares chose for its complete rifle. I am inclined toward carbine length for second Ares to make as many parts interchangeable, but is there a compelling reason to use carbine on an SCR build instead of mid-length on a 16"??

Firearm will be multi-use scoped 1-4: 90% fun at the range, 10% protection, light varmint and  SHTF.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 2:23:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Andromax] [#20]
Originally Posted By gadgetguy1288:
View Quote

I really dig that....
Anyone got some more good pics or video of the ASA upper on an SCR? I am leaning towards a 10.5" Tromix .458 Socom (SCM02P10) barrel/bolt on the .458 ASA side charger upper. A bit pricey, but daaaaaamn.
I really think side charger is where its at with the SCR.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:36:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Nice!!  I keep telling myself "enough of black rifles" (5 of them in different configurations).  Then I see this..
Gotta have it..
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 5:32:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BgBmBoo] [#22]
My SCR/Gibbz setup has become my favorite coyote rifle. From about a week ago.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:13:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Andromax:
I really dig that....
Anyone got some more good pics or video of the ASA upper on an SCR? I am leaning towards a 10.5" Tromix .458 Socom (SCM02P10) barrel/bolt on the .458 ASA side charger upper. A bit pricey, but daaaaaamn.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Andromax:
I really dig that....

Thank you!

Originally Posted By BgBmBoo:
My SCR/Gibbz setup has become my favorite coyote rifle. From about a week ago.

http:// <a href=https://s32.postimg.org/j7csi7ud1/DSC01661_Copy.jpg

What scope and rings are you running?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 3:03:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Scope is a Leupold VX-6 and I think the rings are Badger low or med height....had them laying around in the parts box.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 1:33:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Nice.  You're understandably taking this platform seriously.  I like it.

If I could take a decent photo I'd post mine up but it's nothing like the beautiful examples posted in this thread.

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 7:15:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MRW] [#28]
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 8:33:07 AM EDT
[#29]
How did you perm attach the thread protector?
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Jerry Brown just signed legislation to ban the Bullet Button in CA, so as of January folks will no longer be able to own pistol-grip ARs just by adding a tool-required mag release. But the stricter rule to ban all detach mag centerfire semis didn't make it through, so it looks like the SCR and the Mini-14 are still kosher. Are we going to need a whole subforum for the SCR now instead of just a thread?
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:02:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarpNY] [#31]
That's the right idea, including the background  

Where did you pick up the flag?  I have a new production synthetic one, but would like one shown above
View All Quotes
That's the right idea, including the background  

Where did you pick up the flag?  I have a new production synthetic one, but would like one shown above

Ebay, if I remember correctly.  They called it "tea stained".

How did you perm attach the thread protector?

Blind pin/weld (shop, not me.)
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 7:01:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 4:58:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Some more range time today

Untitled by Doug Hansen, on Flickr

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Nice rifle! We have similar tastes lol.

Ps, if you don't like that rear sling strap, there is enough room inside the stock for a. IWC qd flush cup to be installed.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 5:33:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Y'all are gonna make me build one of these, aren't you...
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 6:53:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Hanz:
Some more range time today

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/JBezVe" target="_blank">https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7358/27965712171_4d1b6f3db3_h.jpg</a>Untitled by Doug Hansen, on Flickr

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/HMQK1i" target="_blank">https://c6.staticflickr.com/8/7318/27429379853_f0bd3ecd10_h.jpg</a>Untitled by Doug Hansen, on Flickr

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/HMQJRv" target="_blank">https://c8.staticflickr.com/8/7607/27429379343_e738cc2e2b_h.jpg</a>Untitled by Doug Hansen, on Flickr

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/HMQJLa" target="_blank">https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7312/27429379033_748dd41efa_h.jpg</a>Untitled by Doug Hansen, on Flickr

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/HMQJdX" target="_blank">https://c8.staticflickr.com/8/7317/27429377223_127980dff6_h.jpg</a>Untitled by Doug Hansen, on Flickr

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/JBeox4" target="_blank">https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7319/27965673881_14a8cdd8ad_h.jpg</a>Untitled by Doug Hansen, on Flickr
View Quote

Winner!
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 3:19:20 AM EDT
[#38]

Ps, if you don't like that rear sling strap, there is enough room inside the stock for a. IWC qd flush cup to be installed.
View Quote
Thank you. I probably copied you, I know I copied someone here
I so need to do that.  The sling is the weakest link right now.

The more I use this carbine the more I like it.  Now I'm thinking of a 6.8 Upper for it. Make a nice lightweight deer rifle.

Link Posted: 7/3/2016 7:27:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tommyidone] [#39]
i kinda want one.  i really dont know why though. it would probably stack better in the safe without the pistol grip...so its got that going for it. i need more excuses.  i cant go to the wife with this shit.  she will just be like then dont buy guns if your worried about room in the safe.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 7:28:24 AM EDT
[#40]

This just about sold me on buying an SCR lower for my next build.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 7:44:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:
View Quote

Very tempting indeed.  It would be easier to build what I want with one of these receivers than modify my Mini-14 (more precise, better mounting optics options, etc.)
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 8:01:38 AM EDT
[#42]

Originally Posted By Moondog:
Very tempting indeed.  It would be easier to build what I want with one of these receivers than modify my Mini-14 (more precise, better mounting optics options, etc.)

View All Quotes

I work in a NY gun shop and I can't believe some folks still buy the Mini-14 after I introduce them to the ARES and explain the benefits.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#43]
I work in a NY gun shop and I can't believe some folks still buy the Mini-14 after I introduce them to the ARES and explain the benefits.  
View All Quotes

I totally agree
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 4:07:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By RayFromJersey:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RayFromJersey:

Thanks.  It's a lot of fun to play with, since you have a lot of the AR customizability, but also some new Remington 1100 customizability thrown in.  You get some new combinations that just feel right.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 9:12:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Thank you. I probably copied you, I know I copied someone here I so need to do that.  The sling is the weakest link right now.

The more I use this carbine the more I like it.  Now I'm thinking of a 6.8 Upper for it. Make a nice lightweight deer rifle.

View All Quotes

Thank you. I probably copied you, I know I copied someone here I so need to do that.  The sling is the weakest link right now.

That's the caliber that mine is

Mines a 14.5 ARPerformance midlength 6.8SPC barrel, with a SF fh pinned on, under a 12" Centurion CMR, with an ASA upper.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#46]

Mines a 14.5 ARPerformance midlength 6.8SPC barrel, with a SF fh pinned on, under a 12" Centurion CMR, with an ASA upper.
View All Quotes

Oh boy, I feel so

I saw Wilson Combat makes a stainless 18" that my friend can turn the threads off the muzzle and re-crown it for me.  I'd likely go with the same Midwest industries lightweight rail and ASA upper.  Then go with a nice, low mounted optic either a 1-6X or 2-10X.  This will cost some for sure.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By MatthewVanitas: Are we going to need a whole subforum for the SCR now instead of just a thread?
View Quote

I think we absolutely do need one.
As I am acquiring parts for my build it would be so much easier if there were a section with specific threads
This firearm uses a lot of AR parts but uses many of them with different considerations than AR. Eg optics being lower and further back, different considerations on mag release options,. Obviously a more compelling case for either custom charger, or side charger upper so that should be a thread with info and pros/cons, options and experience with  of many side chargers out there.
Stocks should be a separate thread with people sharing experience and pros/cons of MC, Sp and Sp Sh and exactly how to diy a rem 1100.

With so many specific considerations that are AR related with AR parts, but different than usual AR applications, it would be very helpful

Link Posted: 7/4/2016 2:21:55 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

For the customers who end up choosing the Minin over the SCR, what's the deciding factor for them? Is it the wooden stock, the vaguely resemblance to the M1/M14, perceived as more reliable, "less evil" or what?

Is the SCR selling pretty well overall? Ares' webpage for it is pretty lame and doesn't make it at all easy to find the wooden stocks, low iron sights, and other stuff they make for it and doesn't at all capitalize on the fact that their piston kit can drop into it. I could spend an hour or two and make Ares' page for the SCR a ton better. I also think it's dang silly that they still keep making it with Carbine gas, and that also impedes the more traditional look it could have with a longer forearm. Is Ares distracted with other projects, or is the SCR just not flying off the shelf (CA law change should open up a huge market for them come January) or are they just dropping the ball on promoting this?

I'd definitely be in favor of AR15.com adding an AWB Compliant subforum for all our brethren in CA, NY, DC, CT, MD etc since there's a ton of overlapping compatibility. What forum would we post a proposal in to get some mod attention? Though I think this thread should stay in the main AR subforum since it's of interest to non-ban folks too. Only reason I could see not having an AWB subforum is if the leadership doesn't think it'll get much traffic, or if (wrongly in my opinion) they think it'll somehow be a tacit endorsement of bans rather than a pragmatic way to help shooters in ban states. I got screamed off the Robarms XCR forum for daring to suggest the design might be a good one for an SCR-type stock for ban states, basically got called a sellout and that no patriot would ever follow these laws; then they got really snippy when I said that by that logic any of them who hadn't converted their AR to full-auto must be a traitor too for following federal law... All that aside though, I think an AWB subforum could be really helpful.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 8:55:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hanz] [#49]

For the customers who end up choosing the Minin over the SCR, what's the deciding factor for them? Is it the wooden stock, the vaguely resemblance to the M1/M14, perceived as more reliable, "less evil" or what?

<snip>
View All Quotes

<snip>
It's not easy for me to say.  Once they say "I want this one" I shut up and write up the sale  From the limited feedback and comments coupled with my perception I'll offer the following:

They know the Ruger has been made for a long time and Ruger is a household name in houses that have guns in them.

The Ruger is less money and comes with iron sights and two five round mags

I think some folks do like the resemblance to the M14 - many appreciate the charging handle on the side of the receiver just like it is on their other semi rifles

The less evil thing may be part of it - some folks don't want an 'assault rifle' or anything AR-15

Some folks prefer wood - my employer is not direct with Ares and our distributor doesn't offer the wooden stocked SCRs.

To the contrary some folks want an AR-15 no matter how badly neutered because it is an AR-15.  I find the Thordsen FRS a bit clumsy but I've been playing with the AR platform for some time now.  That being said I'm glad the FRS is on the market and available to make the ARs compliant.

I think you have to be more of a gun guy to see the benefits of the Ares SCR.  Kinda like all of us

I find the SCR more accurate than a Mini 14.  Mags are easier to purchase than Ruger mags.  It's a lot easier to put a flashlight or bipod, etc on an Ares with a rail.

The Ares SCR is New York City compliant.  Most Mini 14s are not  The Ares has been selling well and we get great feedback from the owners.  Three of my friends have bought them since handling mine.

Link Posted: 7/4/2016 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#50]
I think I'll buy a Benelli MR1 on the used market instead.

Page / 45
FightLite / ARES SCR Pics (Page 16 of 45)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top