Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/11/2012 12:16:30 PM EDT
Anyone have any feedback/ info on these? He has 30 listed and they look like they are .625 under the sight base.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=277267543
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 12:28:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone have any feedback/ info on these? He has 30 listed and they look like they are .625 under the sight base.

Oh man that the last thing I need.

Link Posted: 3/11/2012 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh man that the last thing I need.

I was going to have a 16 " barrel re-worked, but this looks like a better deal.  The bayo lug needs to be cut off though.  

I didn't know Wilson did a true light weight barrel.

Link Posted: 3/11/2012 1:23:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Getting an 11.5" barrel and doing the work was one of my projects I was researching today.  After doing the
math on buying a barrel, sending it to Adco, etc etc I decided to buy one of these barrels.  Will let you
know how it is when it arrives.
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 1:37:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Getting an 11.5" barrel and doing the work was one of my projects I was researching today.  After doing the
math on buying a barrel, sending it to Adco, etc etc I decided to buy one of these barrels.  Will let you
know how it is when it arrives.

That's what I was thinking. I just wanted to make sure it was a true lightweight barrel.   30 barrels seems like a large number for someone to mod on speculation, or did Wilson do them?  

Link Posted: 3/11/2012 2:02:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I gotta say, all things being equal, looks pretty good. All around cheaper than the way I went. And no waiting!

Link Posted: 3/11/2012 2:24:34 PM EDT
[#6]
In looking at what else he has to sell, I think he is a store, lots of barrels (over 200) and a lot of ACE stocks.
His facebook account is http://www.facebook.com/pages/High-Powered-Armory/297231150331829 and the
stores name is High Powered Armory.  I am going to have to bookmark this store.
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Thats just slightly more than I have in mine. Decent deal with no waiting for machining etc. I like the looks of the 11.5 better as well.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 4:03:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow!  Those look good,  I agree that those look better at 11.5" than mine looks at 12.5".  The price is better than I could do if someone came into the shop and wanted one.  I'd get one of those if I was in the market.  I wonder what the FH looks like up close, though.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 6:26:50 AM EDT
[#9]
somebody should invite him to the forum so we can get more pics/info..
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 6:42:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Damn, I'm gonna have to get me one of these. It is a pain to have to remove the bayo lug, and then refinish a little spot like that.

But, it does look sweet, and considering the price, I think I'm gonna go for it. Need one real bad for my 649 GAU-5/A/A build.

I'm just gonna have to sell a bunch of stuff to fund this one...thank goodness for the EE!
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 7:00:49 AM EDT
[#11]
That looks like it certainly is an 11.5" barrel, did he use an extended fake moderator?
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 7:53:57 AM EDT
[#12]
He has triangle carbine HGs and what look like E butt stocks for sale too.

YMMV

Edited to add: Looks like BenC is correct - probably an extended "moderator".
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 8:49:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Is it me or does it look like the shoulder is butted directly against the grenade ring? Bricks mod looks better and is more correct but I'm curious where he got a xm mod that gave it 16" oal with a 11.5
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 9:13:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Looks like a modified Bushmaster (?) moderator/flash hider (second from the right):

Link Posted: 3/12/2012 10:22:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Really need to get a look at the FH slots.  I had a TS fake moderator on my E2 build (which I sold to a friend in a moment of stupidity) and it looked better than that.  But it doesn't look all that bad as is.  Almost certain it is a longer than spec moderator.  BM is a good call - could also be a 1 piece with the grenade ring machined in.

YMMV
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 11:57:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Really need to get a look at the FH slots.  I had a TS fake moderator on my E2 build (which I sold to a friend in a moment of stupidity) and it looked better than that.  But it doesn't look all that bad as is.  Almost certain it is a longer than spec moderator.  BM is a good call - could also be a 1 piece with the grenade ring machined in.

YMMV

Looks like some updated photos were posted.  Looks like the grenade ring is all one piece.  Still a very tempting repro.  I like this look a lot better than 12.5"... you're all such enablers

Link Posted: 3/12/2012 12:26:43 PM EDT
[#17]
If we can confirm that it's .625 under the FSB, I may very well go with this...

Link Posted: 3/12/2012 12:40:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Pinned barrel extension. Does that mean it counts as part of the overall length?
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 12:46:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I think someone knows we are watching. Lol
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 12:49:26 PM EDT
[#20]
seller reading this thread or you guys just emailing him questions?

he says the bayo lug can be removed and refinished at no extra charge for those who were only on the fence for that reason.

it's a decent looking barrel for the price compared to the other alternatives:

built in ones just don't look right:

45bravo's bushmaster barrels w/ grenade ring and fake moderator looked nice but not sure if he's still doing them, the slipover and additional barrel length were nice too along with the smoothing of the FSB and bayo lug removal:

bricks moderator and grenade ring are really nice but add the cost of a barrel and the labor to get it installed will run more than this one

i think for ocd retro crowd, you'll probably be happier going the custom route.  heck even having the flats at the top and bottom bother me

for those wanting to build a plinker or truck gun or close enough retro clone, this is a really good value.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Pinned barrel extension. Does that mean it counts as part of the overall length?

Yes. The faux moderator is pinned and welded to the barrel, thus making it a permanent part of the barrel, bringing it to a legal 16"+.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 12:53:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If we can confirm that it's .625 under the FSB, I may very well go with this...  

Looks 0.625" to me, but I emailed the seller just in case.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 1:15:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. The faux moderator is pinned and welded to the barrel, thus making it a permanent part of the barrel, bringing it to a legal 16"+.

Yeah, but he also states the barrel extension is pinned, not just the moderator.  That's the chamber end of the barrel.

Link Posted: 3/12/2012 4:09:54 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought one and asked the seller about the moderator.  He just replied "RRA".  I checked and Rock River does not show a moderator copy so I
am stumped.  It could be a modded BM, or someone elses one piece.  Will let you all know when it arrives.
This is from his ad, and is new.

"I have new wilson 11.5 barrels pinned to 16" featuring M4 feedramps, chrome lined barrel,1/9 twist and pinned & Welded barrel extension bringing it to legal length. 1 bid gets you 1 new barrel. If you need the front bayo lugged removed that is no problem I can mill it and dye it so it looks factory at no additional cost. Barrel is .625 but I can also make these in .750 if you have any questions feel free to email me I have tried to address all of the emails that I have received. "

CaliRN
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 4:18:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice work, CaliRN. Looking forward to the pics.

Link Posted: 3/12/2012 4:44:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Message from the seller...

I'm sorry I answered your question to the wrong barrel I manufacture these moderators they are pinned and welded the barrel extension is not pinned I used the term barrel extension in my listing as the moderator. The piece that I manufacture is a 1 piece that's why it looks smooth and appeals to people who do retros builds I spent a week making these at the request of retros builders I did 60 of them and 30 of them were sold the day they were done.

Link Posted: 3/12/2012 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Even with the non OCD moderator these appear to be a good alternative to what I did. I am sure someone could get it all wrapped up cheaper. But by my estimate, I spent a bit over the asking price and waited a LONG time to get the finished item back.  Just my own observation.

BUT, like I said, others have probably done and could do better time and expense wise if they have friends with skills.
YMMV

Link Posted: 3/12/2012 4:54:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Have been emailing the seller and invited him to send me the links to his pictures as well as contact information.  Will post if any show up.

CaliRN
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Those are not modified Bushmasters; with the exception of the slipovers, the Bushmasters are 4.5" as far as I know...
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Per the seller, he manufactures the moderators and grenade rings in one piece.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 11:27:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Anyone know if Jerrell is still doing the conversions? im torn between picking one of these up or sticking with the custom route.
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 3:29:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Anyone know if Jerrell is still doing the conversions? im torn between picking one of these up or sticking with the custom route.

I'm sure at some point Jerrell will start picking up work again, but I'm pretty sure it'll be a little while. I feel so bad for the guy...

Link Posted: 3/13/2012 4:34:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Here is a pic of my xm177e2 barrel that the late Kurt Wala did for me back in 2007....Kurts moderator was one piece including grenade ring....He used a J&T 11.5 lightweight barrel...pinned and welded it came out to just a hair over 16".....while it is not 100% correct looking,  I'm ok with it.....
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 5:43:39 AM EDT
[#34]
OT - Kurt did wonderful work - I've got one of his .22 LR uppers.  Wish he was still with us.

Here's the best pic I have of the E2 I sold - fake moderator and grenade ring by TS, barrel by Colt  (don't get upset - I bought it after someone already started work on it), attached by 45Bravo.  The 605 barrel is by 45Bravo too.

The barrel & moderator set-up being discussed here doesn't look half-bad.
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 9:07:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
seller reading this thread or you guys just emailing him questions?

he says the bayo lug can be removed and refinished at no extra charge for those who were only on the fence for that reason.

it's a decent looking barrel for the price compared to the other alternatives:

built in ones just don't look right:
http://www.model1sales.com/images/products/barxm177.gif

So, Anyone want the barrel above with slot hider for $200 so I can order one of these?  
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 2:10:09 PM EDT
[#36]
You could lop it, turn it, thread it and make an XM177E1...
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 3:22:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for the invite to the forum. I have received alot of different questions on these barrels and have tried to answer them all if I did not feel free to ask. Someone also commented about an XM177E1 I have done plenty of those ofcourse they would have to go on an Registered 16, SBR or pistol but i'm sure everyone knows the NFA laws if you don't feel free to ask.
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 4:57:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Thanks for the invite to the forum. I have received alot of different questions on these barrels and have tried to answer them all if I did not feel free to ask. Someone also commented about an XM177E1 I have done plenty of those ofcourse they would have to go on an Registered 16, SBR or pistol but i'm sure everyone knows the NFA laws if you don't feel free to ask.

Hey cool man! Welcome to Retro Land! I'm a fellow GB'er myself, and somewhat new to the sickness here too.

As you can see, we've been talking about you behind your back. I along with several other folks here am interested in your work. Glad you are here to field some questions.
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
OT - Kurt did wonderful work - I've got one of his .22 LR uppers.  Wish he was still with us.

Here's the best pic I have of the E2 I sold - fake moderator and grenade ring by TS, barrel by Colt  (don't get upset - I bought it after someone already started work on it), attached by 45Bravo.  The 605 barrel is by 45Bravo too.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/ewasashinki/DSC01694.jpg

The barrel & moderator set-up being discussed here doesn't look half-bad.

45 bravo did mine recently and turned out great
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#40]
You offering?  

Quoted:
You could lop it, turn it, thread it and make an XM177E1...

Link Posted: 3/13/2012 6:54:42 PM EDT
[#41]
I was quite suprised when someone said you should join the forum there is a discussion about one of your barrels. These barrels have become poplular a group of retro builders purchased 10 of them today so I am down to my last 18 instock ready to be shipped. If anyone has any requests for barrels, uppers or complete builds I can whip together just about anything within a week or less just have an FFL ready to have complete gun shipped to.  I have 100s of barrels, uppers and 1000s of parts instock we list a very basic listing on facebook just to show a few items. If you do not see what you are looking for email us [email protected]
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 7:00:56 PM EDT
[#42]
This thread is full of WIN.

Welcome to the forum, we love "custom made" around here!  Nice work on the barrels as well.

Brent
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 9:47:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Went to go order one and read the description on the latest auction

if you have any questions feel free to email me I have tried to address all of the emails that I have received. Someone purchased our entire stock of barrels with the round forearm ring we have plenty of triangle forearm rings instock.

Waiting for an answer before I pull the trigger.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 10:41:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Went to go order one and read the description on the latest auction

if you have any questions feel free to email me I have tried to address all of the emails that I have received. Someone purchased our entire stock of barrels with the round forearm ring we have plenty of triangle forearm rings instock.

Waiting for an answer before I pull the trigger.  

Sounds like more round on the way, started hyper ventilating and almost had a panic attack.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 11:13:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Someone purchased our remaining stock of Xm177 barrels with round caps I am going to pin another 20 this week should be ready by Mid week next week I have plenty in stock with triangle cap.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Glad someone mentioned that almost ordered one last night.  Want the round hanguard cap, lug ground and swivel installed. I am the guy who emailed you last night on the swivel install.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 5:23:33 PM EDT
[#47]
By the time payment gets here the rounds will be ready to go I have them sitting on the bench just need to pin and weld them.
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 12:53:35 PM EDT
[#48]
So did anybody else buy one of these. I was offered a full refund a few minutes ago.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 12:57:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
So did anybody else buy one of these. I was offered a full refund a few minutes ago.  

You too?  
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 1:02:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You too?  

Oh well, here's hoping we get our money.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top