BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/16/2010 10:45:57 PM EDT
My department was having trouble with our light mounts.  We were using a decent front sight tower-mounted base and ring with the Surefire G2.  In the beginning, the mount seemed fine, and it was a great step up from no lights, which we had before on the rifles.  I always found it hard to illuminate targets with nothing, but some people are more talented than I at this feat.

The old light mount.

Well, the lights mounts were a bit troublesome.  They were plenty stable and didn't come loose (the mounts), but there were other problems.  #1 was in the case, the side pressure on the tailcap would cause the light to come one, and run out the battery.  As some guys carried the rifle in the trunk in the case, this was obviously a problem.  For some reason, lights with dead batteries are just this side of worthless.  

Another thing, when the rifle was slung, the lights rubbed against officers' legs, and the tail caps unscrewed.  Again, for whatever reason, the tailcap-less light with the batteries spilled on the ground were very dim.  

The lights were not particularly ambidextrous, since they were mounted one side or the other.  We really push the shoulder transitions for close-quarters stuff, and reaching across the rifle to activate the light was awkward at best.  When the light was working.  Which it wasn't alot, since the batteries were on the ground or dead.  

These problems cropped up repeatedly over a period of years.  It seemed like all the light mounts available out there required a rail of some sort - the addition of which would be moth expensive and incompatible with the rifle racks in our patrol cars.  

Somehow, I saw the Elzetta light mount.  Frankly, at first, I questioned whether the mount would be sturdy enough to take the beating they get in our patrol cars, plus not melt when we shot them alot.  I requested one to test out.  I put it on my rifle, and took it out to the range and tried to melt it.  No dice.  I then beat it on the barricade several times (while it was still hot).  No problems.  I dropped the rifle on the ground several times.  No problems.  I was impressed so far.

I then took it to a patrol rifle class where I was one of the adjuncts, and I told the students to use and abuse it.  It was banged around on barricades, bumped on the ground going from position to position, and generally mistreated for a week.  No issues. No screws loosened (I put blue loctite on them when I put it together), nothing ever broke.  

So - I recomended it to our firearms guru, and I think we got 50 of them for people who might want them (we figured not everyone would want them).  All 50 got snapped up in a week, and they have been on the rifles for maybe 6 months.  I have run some department training, and seen two shifts pull out their rifles on more than a few occasions.  I have yet to see any of the problems we were having before.  They disappeared with this mount.  I have yet to see a single screw come loose, hear of a breakage, or hear ANY complaints from our patrol guys about this mount.  That right there is saying something - cops bitch about everything.  But this light mount is easy to use, it completely ambidextrous, and seems VERY durable.  I cannot say too many good things about this simple, inexpensive piece of gear.  

I really wish they made them sized for the smaller barrel of the commando for our tac team, but for our regular .750" bbl patrol rifles, they have been superb.  We plan on ordering more.  If you can't have a rail for whatever reason, I think this little gem is the way to go.  

Link Posted: 3/17/2010 8:45:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I've had their mount on my rifle for about two years. Really like it. I've also ran it through several training courses including a LEO low light instructor shoot. Performed great.

Link Posted: 3/18/2010 11:41:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 2:56:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Due to arrive in my mail any day now.
Link Posted: 3/19/2010 4:54:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Elzetta-  Ever think of making a mount like the 1500 but going off to the side......instead of the light being on the bottom?
Several of my rifles have the Magpul AFG and my mounts wont work with it.......I like your 1500 mount, but I dont want my light on the underside....
Link Posted: 3/19/2010 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thank you for your business!  Glad to hear that your Elzetta ZFH1500 Flashlight Holders are working well for you.  The ZFH1500 continues to be very popular among Law Enforcement Officers.

If you are not already aware, we have recently introduced a QD Side Sling Swivel (Model ZSS1500) for the Elzetta ZFH1500 that you may be interested in.  It may be retrofitted to any ZFH1500.

http://www.ELZETTA.com/arfcom/ZFH1500 with Side Sling.JPG

www.ELZETTA.com

This is a great idea IMO.  Especially for 2-point slings.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2010 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I got the QD today and put it on my rifle. I plan on using it with my MS2 sling as a forward attachment point when using the sling in the 2-point configuration.
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 3:37:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 3:39:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/27/2010 7:06:32 PM EDT
[#9]
can't wait to get mine, just ordered it today due, in part, to this review... I also ordered the Elzetta ZFL-M60

thanks for the review!
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 3:17:50 PM EDT
[#10]
The mount installed quickly, with no problems or issues. It works great with the MS2 clamp, however I don't like the big clunking part on the end of the sling. I will be changing over the MS2 clamp of a HK style hook which should make things a lot better.
Link Posted: 3/30/2010 7:12:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/3/2010 6:03:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I have been using one on my truck gun which I carry daily.  It causes no proglems, and is very handy to switch the light on, as it is right there where my hand lays.  I also have the rail with a claw mount for the sling on the off side.  It is a nice product.  when my son gets his done, I will have another.   How about one for an AK47?  I need one.
Link Posted: 4/5/2010 7:32:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Cool, good review.  I was looking at it a bit more closely, I'm thinking that a tape switch tail cap like the SureFire XM07 on the back of a 6P in the mount wouldn't work out.  But, upon closer inspection, I don't think it would be needed with this mount.  Thanks, gonna get one!
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 4:26:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 3:22:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Do you guys make an adapter to alow the use of the E series?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 5:25:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 4:28:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks alot, I need to order one of these to test out. Seems like a great item when not running rails.

Mark
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 1:30:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I got my ZFH1500 a few days ago.  I just built a KISS Carbine, had an extra Surefire 6P hanging around and wanted minimal crap hanging off the gun. so I figured I'd try one of these.  Honestly, I'm REALLY impressed.  It's VERY sturdy, clamped the light nice and tight and doesn't mess up the "KISS" look or weight.  I didn't really give much thought to the sling ring-activated feature, but on a Carbine-length foregrip, it's VERY easy to use.....no clicky-button or tape switch to find.  I really like the thing.  It would be very intuative to use in a SHTF situation.

I did screw-up when I ordered though,  and thought the QD thumb-screw feature was the QD sling mount, not the flashlight clamp, as I was gonna use the QD sling on the FSB (what you get from ordering at 4am!).  Oh, well.  Just be careful when you order, but it was ALL my fault.

I ordered from five companies the same night, and the Elzetta stuff was the FIRST to arrive......VERY quick delivery.

This thing definitely has it's place, and after giving it my "bench test" (i.e. beating on it), I'm convinced it's plenty durable.  I'm usually not real keen on "composite" parts, but you'd do serious damage to your rifle before this thing broke or the flashlight fell out.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 6:11:12 PM EDT
[#20]
These are the only light mounts that I use now. I  wish I could try out one of their M60 lights, funds are tight at the moment. I have always prefered my lights at the 6 o'clock position, this isn't the trendy location but it sure works for me. Just a slight shift of my grip on the VFG and  I push the sling swivel loop right into the tailcap. This allows very quick on/off witch in my opinion critical is using a light in a SD situation. I have recommended  this light mount to hundreds of people and I haven't heard a single  member that was unhappy with it. And No I am not affiliated with ElZetta in anyway. Just a very happy  customer.
Thanks ElZetta!!!

NCH
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I just placed an order ZFH1500 for my DPMS AP4 .308 based on this review, I also placed an order for my 3rd ELZETTA light. I do like their lights. Now if they would just hurry up with a tape switch
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 8:52:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/1/2010 5:52:40 PM EDT
[#23]
We have a 14.5" Sabre Defence as a HD gun.

I'm right handed, wife is left handed.
Did not have rails, did not want rails.
The 1500 was absolutely perfect for our needs.

I like the fact that it adds no width to the rifle.
So far, it has been very secure with my G2.
It does not weigh much.

I'll never understand why Elzetta products (at least the 1500) don't get more attention here.

Link Posted: 5/1/2010 8:48:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I have been looking for something like this for my AR 15 which will be a patrol rifle!  

Will this work with the Bushmaster that has the grenade launcher attachment for it.  Or will that obstruction below the front sight be an issue?

Thanks,

Marcial
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 3:27:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Thank you!!

Link Posted: 5/12/2010 10:16:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/13/2010 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have a 14.5" Sabre Defence as a HD gun.

I'm right handed, wife is left handed.

Did not have rails, did not want rails.

The 1500 was absolutely perfect for our needs.

I like the fact that it adds no width to the rifle.

So far, it has been very secure with my G2.

It does not weigh much.

I'll never understand why Elzetta products (at least the 1500) don't get more attention here.

We agree!  Help us out and post information about Elzetta products throughout the forums.  

And thank you for your business!

Your products are always on the short list of items I recommend.

Whether people act on what I recommend, I know not.

Link Posted: 5/13/2010 2:02:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Have one of these on my KISS carbine, outstanding product.
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 7:02:56 PM EDT
[#30]
I am looking at the picture above and have only two questions about using your mount on my carbine.

1. I had another polymer mount and my Surefire G2s repeatedly worked their way out from firing, pretty quickly. I think this was because the polymer mount and polymer light did not have enough friction between them, since I never have this issue with my aluminum mounts. How secure is it with a polymer light, specifically a Surefire G2?

2. I have a Truglo TFO front sight, which will mean I will have to remove some material as I have indicated below, to clear the post and spring since they hang well into the void in the FSB. Do you think this will have any notable impact on stability, including if I use the side QD sling mount?

Thanks in advance, and it does look like you have a great product for a lightweight carbine build with a standard FSB.

Link Posted: 5/29/2010 5:39:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 3:24:25 PM EDT
[#32]
No worries, and thanks for the info. I get the "user's risk" bit, and I also figured a return with parts cut off would be a non starter, so I just wanted to know how well you though it would work. I'm not asking for a binder. One more question then? It looks like it has tabs that fit into one half from the other to stabilize the halves, yes?

As for your light, it looks great, but I'm looking cheap and light weight here for one prototype KISS setup with the G2 LED and your quick release light mount and sling attachment.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
...I have yet to see a single screw come loose, hear of a breakage, or hear ANY complaints from our patrol guys about this mount.  That right there is saying something - cops bitch about everything.  But this light mount is easy to use, it completely ambidextrous, and seems VERY durable.  I cannot say too many good things about this simple, inexpensive piece of gear.  

I really wish they made them sized for the smaller barrel of the commando for our tac team, but for our regular .750" bbl patrol rifles, they have been superb.  We plan on ordering more.  If you can't have a rail for whatever reason, I think this little gem is the way to go.  

Thanks for the real-world review.  It's always better to get an opinion that is based upon a large sample size of hard-use customers.

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 4:36:23 AM EDT
[#34]
This looks like a great product. I would like to confirm that it will work with a Fenix PD30 and/or a Fenix P3D.

http://www.fenixgear.com/flashlight/viewItem.asp?idProduct=117#catalog/img/1-3000-43090.jpg

http://www.eliteled.com/products/flashlights/fenix-p3d-ce.html

Thanks!

Llama
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 11:00:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 8:39:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Just curious –– will installation or removal of the Elzetta light mount and light be likley to affect the rifle's point of impact from a 16" pencil barrel?
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 12:41:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 1:24:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Just curious –– will installation or removal of the Elzetta light mount and light be likley to affect the rifle's point of impact from a 16" pencil barrel?

Our experience, confirmed by our customers', is that the Elzetta ZFH1500 has no appreciable effect on the accuracy or point of impact of a fighting carbine.

If you shoot high precision/sub-MOA you might notice a small impact but those shooting precision guns will not likely employ a ZFH1500 anyway.

Thanks for the info!  That's what I was looking for.  

Link Posted: 6/5/2010 10:01:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Anyone have the mount with a SBR and suppressor? I'm trying to figure out if this will clear a 11.5" Colt 6933 and a Yankee Hill can.
Link Posted: 6/15/2010 12:31:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Glad I saw this.    I've been researching to put a light on my patrol rifle that would be compatible with the cruiser mount.     The info in this thread and the glowing reviews have me sold, and I'd never heard of Elzetta before finding this thread.    

Link Posted: 6/20/2010 9:55:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Just got mine in the mail on Saturday. Looking forward to trying it out!
Link Posted: 6/20/2010 10:17:34 AM EDT
[#43]
I got it two days after I ordered it.     Very happy with the fast shipping and the mount seems solid, however the light I ordered (Fenix TK11) isn't here yet, so the mount is still empty.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 1:29:46 PM EDT
[#44]

Fit, finish is SOLID.      Love it, and I love the sling mount activation.     I'm going to work it out with two carbine courses I'm scheduled for this year.
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 4:05:53 PM EDT
[#45]
I admit that I kind of think these mounts are a tad bit.... ugly , but reading this thread is eye-opening. Just curious, does anyone have a pic of one mounted on a 14.5 middy? Am concerned that the bell of the light may protrude past the barrel. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/24/2010 7:10:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Elzetta,
I have one of your units for my KISS CAR15, and it is great. My M4 has the rails and Surefight light/mount.

Have you ever thought of developing models for other rifles?  I would love to have something similar for my FN FAL or AK.
I hate the weight and bulk of adding rails.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/24/2010 2:16:49 PM EDT
[#47]
I just mounted a Surefire 6P on my carbine. Though I haven't fired it with the light on it yet, it holds the light on the rifle rock solid, and the fit of the mount on the front sight base is equally sturdy. Using the front sling swivel as an on/off switch is simple and effective.
Link Posted: 6/25/2010 12:02:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/1/2010 5:29:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c353/AJErvin/Guns/100_0335.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c353/AJErvin/Guns/100_0336.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c353/AJErvin/Guns/100_0337.jpg

Fit, finish is SOLID.      Love it, and I love the sling mount activation.     I'm going to work it out with two carbine courses I'm scheduled for this year.

You won't be dissapointed. All of mine are still rock solid after thousands of rounds. I just wish they would make a model for the 6920!! It is going to be the red headed step child in the gun safe. lol!!!
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top