User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/27/2013 7:42:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've got my first attempt at this up and running.  Around $20.  I did the safety selector mod with an 1/8" ball bearing.

http://youtu.be/EivFMQHWTOM

Not pretty, but works great.  How they plan on outlawing something that can be made in a basement with a piece of steel and a dremel is beyond me.

Syrian cameraman?
Link Posted: 1/27/2013 4:10:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've got my first attempt at this up and running.  Around $20.  I did the safety selector mod with an 1/8" ball bearing.

Not pretty, but works great.  How they plan on outlawing something that can be made in a basement with a piece of steel and a dremel is beyond me.

What is the 'safety selector mod' about?

Safety selector mod is just so the safety can be used.

Since the pistol grip is sliding backwards and forwards, there is nothing holding the spring and detent in place.

I had to tap the receiver and put a set screw in to hold the spring and detent in place.

I guess you can shoot this without a safety, but it is entirely not advised.  I admit, this is how I tested it at first, but then came to realize it needs that safety back.

Link Posted: 1/28/2013 2:31:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the 'safety selector mod' about?

Safety selector mod is just so the safety can be used.

Since the pistol grip is sliding backwards and forwards, there is nothing holding the spring and detent in place.

I had to tap the receiver and put a set screw in to hold the spring and detent in place.

I guess you can shoot this without a safety, but it is entirely not advised.  I admit, this is how I tested it at first, but then came to realize it needs that safety back.

Gotcha.

Link Posted: 1/31/2013 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#4]
So if a ban passes on the "Slide Stock"  (as they are calling it) or the "Rapid Fire Gun Trigger" ???? -  will it apply to home-built versions too??
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#5]
If the ban passes, my "home-built" stock will fall off the radar.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 2:53:07 AM EDT
[#6]
You're planning to delete this whole thread and everyone that's quoted one of your responses, and scrub your IP address so that you're untraceable even if records are subpoenaed?  

Not trying to be tin-foily - but once you post on a public internet forum, "off the radar" somewhat ceases to be an option.  

Not that I'm saying that any of that is likely to happen over your home-made bump fire stock - but the point is - once you put it on the internet, it's extremely difficult to "take it back."  

~Augee
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 4:11:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I understand your concern, but "off the radar" can mean anything from hidden, to completely destroyed.  Obviously it would get completely destroyed.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:23:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I had seen this thread a while back and thought it was cool, but had ZERO interest in a bump fire device.

However. I picked up an M&P15-22 the other day

Now I am real interested. The kids would freaking love this, and with 22 it becomes "worth it".

Now I have to find out how to make one. Thanks OP, great thread.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 3:24:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I had seen this thread a while back and thought it was cool, but had ZERO interest in a bump fire device.

Now I am real interested. The kids would freaking love this, and with 22 it becomes "worth it".

There might be an issue with 22, considering a bump fire relies on the recoil of the weapon. YMMV
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 4:02:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There might be an issue with 22, considering a bump fire relies on the recoil of the weapon. YMMV

Seems to be enough, as there are a few floating around.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems to be enough, as there are a few floating around.

Good to hear! If it doesn't work out, you could just send it to me. Win-win!
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 9:45:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

"Hi.. a shell must have hit you"

Link Posted: 2/7/2013 5:35:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I love the ingenuity here... great designs!

However, I do want to rebut that a SlideFire stock has to look ugly...  here's a Duracoated setup of a SlideFire SBS model.  Leaving the "connector" in the original black makes it a lot less obtrusive:

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 4:05:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd also be surprised if they start trying to go after folks for patent infringement for home-brewing when this is out there

http://fostechoutdoors.com/shop/catalog/defendar-15-5-1.html

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 6:24:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'd also be surprised if they start trying to go after folks for patent infringement for home-brewing when this is out there

http://fostechoutdoors.com/shop/catalog/defendar-15-5-1.html

Bigger fish get fried 1st.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 4:55:03 PM EDT
[#17]
It isn't the prettiest, but it should function perfectly. Bending the bar was incredibly annoying, given what I had to work with. I have to cut the bar down a bit and coat it (Tape at the end of the bar is just temporary). I'm not going to bother trying to mess with the adjustment lever to lock the stock. This will be a dedicated bump fire lower.

I'll eventually do another thats cleaner looking, but for now I have what I want
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Not bad, hell yea!

When I bent the bar on mine, I inserted it as far into the pistol grip as it would go, and then used pressure against the rod while
it was in the pistol grip to get the initial bend.  (It shouldn't hurt the grip).  Then I took the bar out of the pistol grip, and stuck it in
a vice to make the last bend so it would follow the contour of the buttstock.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:25:29 AM EDT
[#19]
It works with a 22. I made one for my 10/22. Works great
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 4:28:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It works with a 22. I made one for my 10/22. Works great

Factory trigger?
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 2:08:32 AM EDT
[#21]
First off, awesome thread! Just read through it all. OP, I was thinking the same thing about the UBR while reading through this. Have you looked into it much?
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 2:10:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks Muadieb!  I have a UBR, but haven't looked too much into making it a bumpfire stock.  At one point I was going to but with recent events I have kind of migrated away.

I am working on purchasing an M16 for myself.  I will be making videos when I do so that I can compare the M16 to my bumpfire stock.

I refuse to let this thread die!

I may also end up making a video showing all of the parts that went into this stock.  I've received too many emails/comments on people wanting me to make one.

I can't say it will be a step by step video, but with a creative enough mind, it should make building this pretty easy.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 6:55:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

However, I do want to rebut that a SlideFire stock has to look ugly...  here's a Duracoated setup of a SlideFire SBS model.  Leaving the "connector" in the original black makes it a lot less obtrusive:

http://mlcpartners.com/pics/Duracoated_MC_AR15.jpg

Yeah... The Slide fire is still ugly. There is no making that thing pretty. Just my opinion though. Since I love to fire in full auto I might just have to build another rifle and dedicate it to this since there is no way in hell I'd do this to my Noveske. Great thread though.
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 10:51:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You're planning to delete this whole thread and everyone that's quoted one of your responses, and scrub your IP address so that you're untraceable even if records are subpoenaed?  

Not trying to be tin-foily - but once you post on a public internet forum, "off the radar" somewhat ceases to be an option.  

Not that I'm saying that any of that is likely to happen over your home-made bump fire stock - but the point is - once you put it on the internet, it's extremely difficult to "take it back."  

~Augee

This is why I will absolutely will not build one of these they look to be no fun anyway.
Personally I'd rather just use my AR in a slow fire manner regardless of its design.....

Besides I'd really hate to ruin my safe queens the thought of scratching one of my baby's just makes me sick... Sick I tell you

Oh wait never mind fuck them I'm on it
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 10:49:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Alright bud, calm down.  I thought the idea up and created it, in less than 24 hours total.  
I saved 350 bucks, and had a lot of fun.  Are you not understanding this?  Also I have NO plans
to sell this.  It may be ugly, but it works, and it works just fine.  Wait till you see the second one.  
You have NO idea how much better it is going to be.  As I said, just trying to have some fun,
no illegal intentions whatsoever, private use only.

If you make, use, sell ,offer for sale, or import something that falls within the claims of a patented invention you've infringed on their patent.

Looks to me that you made it, and used it...if that thing fell within the claims of his patent...

If It was my patent, I would send you a C & D and consider suing you.

I bet you're a fun guy to be around.

As someone who's invented things in the past and brought them to market, I understand how much it sucks to have someone copy your invention.  It's easy to take someone idea and replicate it.  It's a lot harder to come up with good, valuable, original ideas.

Only problem I have with that, the Slidefire was NOT an original idea either. it had already been offered albeit a different platform... but the idea was the same and actually patented. The execution might have been original, but not the theory behind it.

Agree, slide fire was not an original idea at all.

The comment "If you make, use, sell ,offer for sale, or import something that falls within the claims of a patented invention you've infringed on their patent" makes me LOL, I started thinking about it, and damn, just about ANYTHING you would ever make would be infringing on a copyright.  Just reminds me how much I hate lawyers...

To the OP, awesome job, great thread, more power to you.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#27]
I just found this thread 3 days after buying a slide fire.

But I did shoot my slide fire and a true M16 the same day. The rate of fire on the M16 is considerably faster. But that just means that it costs more to shoot! Obviously the M16 was more accurate/controllable but we weren't even shooting at targets anyway so who cares?
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#28]
My friend got to test my stock for the first time on his AR:

Link Posted: 6/22/2013 2:33:57 PM EDT
[#29]
I need to read more of this when I'm not on my phone... Tag
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 5:26:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Yeah man, read up on it.  I haven't been doing much with this lately as ammo is very hard to come by.  
Not to say I didn't stock up, but would rather not waste it while it is hard to get.

Also, recently I have been trying to procure either an M16 lower receiver or a DIAS, preferrably a DIAS.

Link Posted: 7/16/2013 4:06:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Think I will try connecting these two with a rod assembly on a TNW AERO SR 45 carbine.

Link Posted: 7/20/2013 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Have to say thanks to this awesomeness . Not that I was going to pay $300+ for a peace of plastic, but this seems like lot of fun to build and use.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 10:00:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Got the two parts and it looks good to me.
Have not got my Aero rifle yet so not sure how it will line up, but it looks close.

You could center drill a rod and tap it for a direct fit into the recess where the sling mount goes.

The hole in the CAA stock looks like it almost directly lines up with the hole in the CAA buttstock. It appears to have an Alum bushing in the hole.
Would be best to have that end of the rod H Shaped with a bolt through it, snug fit against the stock so it cant rotate or it could be keyed or staked.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 2:47:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Ordered one of these today. Seems like it should work pretty easily. Might need to sand down the sides of the block to loosen the fit, but I'll cross that road when I come to it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Ordered one of these today. Seems like it should work pretty easily. Might need to sand down the sides of the block to loosen the fit, but I'll cross that road when I come to it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Any update?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 7:14:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Any update?

Thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any update?

Thanks!

The spot where the block and grip come together was serrated to provide better grip between them. It took about two minutes on my Dremel to take care of that and it works great. I sanded down a few spots that appeared to rub together to make it run smoother as well. I'll have to take some pictures when I get home. The company actually sells the grips on eBay(auction price, so you can get them cheaper), so I got mine for $27 shipped.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Looking at the homebrew bump fire stocks in this thread has inspired me to design one with these features:
-Retain LOP adjustment
-Bump fire / fixed setting via a selector lever
-Recoil buffer in bump fire mode
-Spring that pushes the rifle to the rear (opposite of the Akins Accelerator) so bump fire always starts from the same position
-Ambidextrous, folding or retracting finger rests

As always, the design is much easier than the fabrication.
Now, if Slide Fire Solutions had this bad boy for $360, I'd bite. Their current offerings shouldn't be more than $150.

Thanks,
Lee
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 6:39:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Tagscription
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Looking at the homebrew bump fire stocks in this thread has inspired me to design one with these features:
-Retain LOP adjustment
-Bump fire / fixed setting via a selector lever
-Recoil buffer in bump fire mode
-Spring that pushes the rifle to the rear (opposite of the Akins Accelerator) so bump fire always starts from the same position
-Ambidextrous, folding or retracting finger rests

As always, the design is much easier than the fabrication.
Now, if Slide Fire Solutions had this bad boy for $360, I'd bite. Their current offerings shouldn't be more than $150.

Thanks,
Lee
View Quote

The spring would probably cross the line.  All the recent bumpfire gadgets that use a spring have been declared a MG.

Like the Akins.  

Link Posted: 11/20/2013 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top