Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/9/2013 9:44:18 AM EDT
I hit up youtube trying to see different methods for color filling the receiver logo & letters.

Decided to use crayon and some Rem Oil.

The result: Best. Thing. Ever. I love doing this!

Scrub crayon on the engravings, almost as hard as you can, trying to get crayon fill up evenly and tightly. Then rub the excess away with Rem Oil. Super duper easy!
I hope it lasts in Texas heat...

http://imageshack.us/a/img713/2162/img1882xd.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img19/1280/img1881pv.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img850/7406/img1880xe.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img707/217/img1879vo.jpg
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I use Lacquer Stik from brownell's or midway.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 10:01:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Crayons are actually very effective at this and have been used and tested under heat to excel.  Lots of guys over on XDTalk have doing their xd/xdm's for years now with positive results so your good in Tx heat.  I just don't know about the coloring of firearms yet my jury is still out on it......
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 11:00:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been debating back and forth which method to use to at least color the Safe/Fire.  The crayon actually came out looking real nice.  My fear with the lacquer sticks is some people I have seen the red looks more pink than red.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#4]

These are done in lacquer stik, it has haze but I little it sit for a few hours then clean up with mineral oil.

Quoted:

I've been debating back and forth which method to use to at least color the Safe/Fire.  The crayon actually came out looking real nice.  My fear with the lacquer sticks is some people I have seen the red looks more pink than red.

Link Posted: 5/9/2013 11:48:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Those look good!
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 11:58:28 AM EDT
[#6]

I do them to every gun I build, like I said they always have a haze when I am done, but I let the lacquer harden then come back with mineral oil.

My friend who got one of the first color jobs I did with Lacquer Stik ...I dunno 4 or 5 months ago, he brought it over the other day so I could detail clean it, the color was still the same.

Link Posted: 5/9/2013 1:08:13 PM EDT
[#7]

I used the lacquer sticks sold by Brownells. The only thing I don't like is the limited color options. The red isn't very red. It's more like pussy pink. I heat the work area and the stick with a heat gun. Smear it on, melt it some more with the heat gun. Wipe away the excess with a cleaning patch pulled tightly over a square object. Then let it dry/cool down. Then rub the area with a patch and mineral spirits.

I'm redoing all these next week. My parts are finally getting mailed back to me from being nickel boron and burnt bronze cerakoted. So I'm going to color fill the markings with black lacquer.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 1:10:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I do a full 91% alcohol on the lowers first, then bake the oil on them and all mine come out RED....that pink looks weird.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 1:12:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Trust me if I gave my padna's that shit I would be dead.....I dunno I have always coated the lowers first in alcohol, then I bake the oil into them, then do coloring and everything pops...the white and the red.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 2:39:26 PM EDT
[#10]
just use fingernail polish all the colors you can imagine.

Brush it on let it dry for a few min then wrap a paper towel on a small wood block put some acetone free nail polish remover on the paper towel DON'T SOAK IT very small amount of remover and rub the paper towel over the area till it removes the excess nail polish and leaves the groves full :) instant and no need to worry about Texas heat :) Dont push hard on the paper towel let the remover do its job.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 4:17:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had great results with Testors model paint. Just did the Zombie Killer with some green and a Rainier Arms Lower with Desert Tan to match the FDE.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 4:38:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Testers model paint and thinner

" />

and BOOM!!!
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 4:55:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Great idea with the crayons.

Pre:

I think when the crayon wears out I'll go with nail polish.   My wife has lots of them laying around.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Which Testors paint? Acrylic, Enamel, Lacquer, Metalizer?
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I color filled using nail polish. Took me longer to remove the color fill than it did to do the actual color filling. Never again am I doing a colorfill. I got real bored of the color. My buddy's color fill was done in crayon and it didn't hold up too well like nail polish did.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 6:15:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I do the exact same thing. Crayons and then rub the excess off with Rem oil. I did it to my on duty and off duty weapon and its holding well in this Texas weather.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Im glad to hear that crayon lasts in TX heat ! Some people apply heatgun/blow torch to sort of melt it, not sure if that helps.

The positive side of crayon is that you can brush it off with toothbrush if decide to change color or remove it.

It's pretty cool that someone colored theirs matching with the Olive drape color!
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 8:38:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Crayon FDE to match the (not really shown) furniture
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 9:47:42 PM EDT
[#19]
+1  Testors enamel
This is what I use on all mine, colors are true and its long lasting.

I read somewhere that it is what Spikes Tactical uses to color theirs.
It was on the internet, it must be true :)
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 10:06:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which Testors paint? Acrylic, Enamel, Lacquer, Metalizer?

Enamel.

I Cerakote professionally and use Testors model paint when needed. I usually just use it for the "F" and "S" on custom bolt-actions but some customers want more. Not really my thing but it does look cool on some guns.

Link Posted: 5/10/2013 8:13:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Testers enamel and enamel thinner.  

Link Posted: 5/15/2013 7:07:53 AM EDT
[#22]
For all of the people using Testors model paint and thinner I have a couple questions.

Are you thinning the paint before applying it? If so what is the ratio?

Do you wait any length of time for the paint to dry before wiping off the excess with thinner?
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 7:50:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Im not going to thin mine.
I will be using Testors model paint.

I am also going to use a tooth pick to transfer the color around. Let dry, it won't take long, its not rocket science.
Then wipe clean with paint thinner.
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 8:56:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I am also going to use a tooth pick to transfer the color around. Let dry, it won't take long, its not rocket science.

This is exactly how I did mine. Holts up well in hot and humid South East Texas
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 8:57:26 AM EDT
[#25]
The thinner is used to remove the excess paint. Put a few drops on a paper town and gently rub the dry paint changing to a clean towel regularly till the slide is clean and there is only paint left in the grooves.
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 5:55:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the tips guys! The toothpick method seems to be a great idea.

Any guess how well the paint will stick to a NiB coated lower?
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 6:52:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Thanks for the tips guys! The toothpick method seems to be a great idea.

Any guess how well the paint will stick to a NiB coated lower?

My guess is not well.

I would take a sharp tool and etch the lettering to bare metal for the areas you want to paint.  But you run the risk of damaging areas you don't want painted.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 8:17:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The only thing I don't like is the limited color options.

Lacquer sticks are available in white, red, yellow, black, and gold.  Check Amazon or a local art supply shop.

Link Posted: 5/17/2013 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I think I am going to buy a new lower just to play around with coloring.  Love to see more pics if anyone is doing anything differently.
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 7:42:43 PM EDT
[#30]

I have used Tester's paint, I tried the crayons and put it under test in Louisiana heat (didn't hold up past two trips), tried finger nail paint, white out, etc.... the best and the only thing I use now is Lacquer Stik's if you take 91% alcohol and wipe down the whole gun before you start, and do a quick CLP bake in the oven, and then use a microfiber towel to clean it off after, the Lacquer is bullet proof....I have friends like I have said before with guns I built for them 5 months old, and we are from Louisiana these guns are tools and get tossed in and out of mudboats all day. The lacquer is still RED as can be or WHITE....that picture of the pink lacquer stik's no clue what went on there....but I won't use anything else besides Lacquer stiks.

Quoted:

I think I am going to buy a new lower just to play around with coloring.  Love to see more pics if anyone is doing anything differently.

Link Posted: 5/17/2013 7:45:29 PM EDT
[#31]

I honestly think the biggest problem with some people when they go to paint the lower, is the prep work. Just wiping the whole thing down in 91% alcohol is huge...and I only clean up the gun with Mineral oil after painting, if you use gun oil, or anything of that nature it will get inside the lacquer or paint and pull it out.

My wife is director of nursing so my mineral oil bottles are labeled a little different lol, if you know what mineral oil is used for in a hospital situation haha.

Link Posted: 5/18/2013 12:46:43 AM EDT
[#32]

Black lacquer over Burnt Bronze Cerakote. Still have to touch up a few spots, but it is pretty durable.
Link Posted: 5/18/2013 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I honestly think the biggest problem with some people when they go to paint the lower, is the prep work. Just wiping the whole thing down in 91% alcohol is huge...and I only clean up the gun with Mineral oil after painting, if you use gun oil, or anything of that nature it will get inside the lacquer or paint and pull it out.

My wife is director of nursing so my mineral oil bottles are labeled a little different lol, if you know what mineral oil is used for in a hospital situation haha.

I like the idea of crayons to prototype your color scheme, since it can be removed easily... then move on to a permanent solution.  That is likely the route I will take.
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 3:15:42 PM EDT
[#35]

I just filled with lacquer and did an initial mineral oil wipe, letting it dry then coming back to do clean up (haze)....lacquer stiks > all.

Link Posted: 5/20/2013 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Hey shooter, can you post a pics after you clean up the haze plz.  I'd like to see a finished product
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#37]

No problem, this is what I do for all my builds for customers, and I can't remember how many times I have done it like this.

I let it sit over night then hand clean it with alcohol and swaps, then oil bake, etc...

Link Posted: 5/20/2013 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Great success with the wife's nail polish. Gotta get a couple of pics, but the red, white and blue that I used on my Palmetto lower came out great. Paint on, and remove excess with non-acetone nail polish remover. Finish up with a couple of swipes of CLP and it comes out great.
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 6:24:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Crayon FDE to match the (not really shown) furniture
http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/3720/arfdecrayon.jpg

Nice look, what color crayon is that it looks good, I was just thinking of doing the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 10:15:03 PM EDT
[#40]

I know you wanted to see after haze, but I just finished 3 for the initial prep and paint, now these will sit over night and tomorrow clean haze and oil bake.

Link Posted: 5/21/2013 12:13:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I know you wanted to see after haze, but I just finished 3 for the initial prep and paint, now these will sit over night and tomorrow clean haze and oil bake.

Do you mind to give me a link of what steps you use or make a step by step thread?
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 12:38:51 AM EDT
[#42]

1. Clean the whole receiver with 91% Alcohol

2. Wipe down with microfiber towels

3. Use blue painter's tape and Xacto knife and basically tape off everything I don't want lacquer to touch. (makes for faster clean up, and less headaches)

4. Heat the lowers (I normally do 3 at a time) in the oven on lowest setting for just about 10 or 15 minutes.

5. Remove lowers and start with the red lacquer stik (quickest one to hit all 3 with) and color in the fire symbol.

6. Next use the white lacquer stik on all the remaining parts.

7. Let sit for about 1 to 2 hours at room temperature.

8. Remove all tape from the lowers.

9. Use cotton swaps on the long sticks and mineral oil to start initial clean.

10. I will soak a cotton swab in mineral oil and rub it across the face of the painted area, then get a clean swab and make hard passes across the painted area to remove the chunky build up.

11. Use another cotton swab with mineral oil to go back over the painted area and then use a new cotton swab to make another set of hard passes across painted area.

12. I usually rinse and repeat steps 10 and 11 about 5 to 6 times that way the only lacquer left is level with the engraving.

13. Once i can take a clean swab and pass it across the engraving with little to know streaking I move on to next engraving.

14. Once you have done that to all of the painted pieces I take clean cotton swabs and use mineral oil to basically box in just the painted sections (reduce haze clean up).

15. Let sit overnight and the next morning the lacquer is hardened.

16. I will take 91% alcohol and run it across the lowers again not so much on the engraving but just making sure nothing overnight got on the metal.

17. I use small cleaning towels like the kind you get in a can for reading glass's or computer monitors and I use an acid brush and put a light coat of mineral oil across them.

18. Next I "lightly" wipe the entire gun down with them and mineral usually going through a few to stay as clean as possible.

19. Go outside and use the sun as a means for checking for remaining haze if little to none is left you are ready for next step.

20. I use Slip2000 or Mpro whichever is basically closest to me, and with an acid brush paint on a decent layer to one side of the lowers and then put them on top of a cooking sheet and set in oven on lowest setting. (Think mine is 125 to 150) and let the oil bake in for about 30 to 45 minutes.

21. Remove the lowers let them cool, and flip over to do the other side. (I use these wood skewer looking sticks I buy from Micheals or any craft store to keep the lower we just baked off the cookie sheet)

22. Remove the lowers after another bake on the opposite side and let them cool.

23. Go outside and use the sun to check for any left over haze (usually its 99%, if you do good prep work and tape this will cut down repair time).

24. Finally I give it one more coat of 91% alcohol, and let them air dry and that is basically it.

I know that sounds like a lot but it is basically doing good prep work to make the lacquer stick harden up, then using the gun oil to give the lower a nice metal enriched coating (seasoning) and in doing so it brings the color of the lacquer out even more and you get that nice semi gloss black look to the lowers.

I practiced this with all kinds of variations and paints, and womens finger nail polish/paint, but once I do this I know I won't have anyone coming back to get a repair on the the coloring. I have seen crayon, finger nail paint, and white out, and even testers, not last past a few months because some cleaners will just rip right through them. I personally think crayons, finger nail paint and white out are a stupid idea if you just think about what they are and how you are using them. Tester's is the only other product I will use, but for the people I sell to I use lacquer stiks because they are ruff and they do some true hard cleaning.

Hope this helped you in anyway possible, and yes I have tried the froglube it is a great product but for me I love Slip2000 and Mpro...that is just my opinion. I think as long as you remember to keep mineral oil, 91% alcohol, a TON of the cotton swabs on the long sticks, and do your prep work correctly this formula is basically bulletproof.

Remember this is South Louisiana we have 100% humidity all the time, you have to take a shower after just going to the mailbox, this is what makes me believe (maybe not my method) but Lacquer Stik's are > than all.

Link Posted: 5/21/2013 12:40:50 AM EDT
[#43]
I forgot one major thing also ......... on some lowers I will use a dremel with pencil cotton bit and metal compound and do the whole receiver before starting with the paint. Usually I only do that on ruff looking lowers to make sure I get every bit of oil,paint,etc...into the the gun itself.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 1:27:47 AM EDT
[#44]

This is just the basic tear and tape I do, then I will use Xacto knife to cut some smaller pieces for fine tuning.

Link Posted: 5/21/2013 2:17:59 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is exactly how I did mine. Holts up well in hot and humid South East Texas

Yup, have a GLOCK I did with a friend's daughter's crayon while waiting for him to come home a decade or so ago.  99% still there and I never rem-oiled or sealed it in any way.  

Link Posted: 5/21/2013 6:10:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

3. Use blue painter's tape and Xacto knife and basically tape off everything I don't want lacquer to touch. (makes for faster clean up, and less headaches)
  4. Heat the lowers (I normally do 3 at a time) in the oven on lowest setting for just about 10 or 15 minutes.
  5. Remove lowers and start with the red lacquer stik (quickest one to hit all 3 with) and color in the fire symbol.
  10. I will soak a cotton swab in mineral oil and rub it across the face of the painted area, then get a clean swab and make hard passes across the painted area to remove the chunky build up.
  11. Use another cotton swab with mineral oil to go back over the painted area and then use a new cotton swab to make another set of hard passes across painted area.
  12. I usually rinse and repeat steps 10 and 11 about 5 to 6 times that way the only lacquer left is level with the engraving.
  13. Once i can take a clean swab and pass it across the engraving with little to know streaking I move on to next engraving.
  14. Once you have done that to all of the painted pieces I take clean cotton swabs and use mineral oil to basically box in just the painted sections (reduce haze clean up).
  16. I will take 91% alcohol and run it across the lowers again not so much on the engraving but just making sure nothing overnight got on the metal.
  17. I use small cleaning towels like the kind you get in a can for reading glass's or computer monitors and I use an acid brush and put a light coat of mineral oil across them.
  18. Next I "lightly" wipe the entire gun down with them and mineral usually going through a few to stay as clean as possible.
  19. Go outside and use the sun as a means for checking for remaining haze if little to none is left you are ready for next step.
  20. I use Slip2000 or Mpro whichever is basically closest to me, and with an acid brush paint on a decent layer to one side of the lowers and then put them on top of a cooking sheet and set in oven on lowest setting. (Think mine is 125 to 150) and let the oil bake in for about 30 to 45 minutes.
  21. Remove the lowers let them cool, and flip over to do the other side. (I use these wood skewer looking sticks I buy from Micheals or any craft store to keep the lower we just baked off the cookie sheet)
  22. Remove the lowers after another bake on the opposite side and let them cool.
  23. Go outside and use the sun to check for any left over haze (usually its 99%, if you do good prep work and tape this will cut down repair time).
  24. Finally I give it one more coat of 91% alcohol, and let them air dry and that is basically it.
I know that sounds like a lot but it is basically doing good prep work to make the lacquer stick harden up, then using the gun oil to give the lower a nice metal enriched coating (seasoning) and in doing so it brings the color of the lacquer out even more and you get that nice semi gloss black look to the lowers.

I practiced this with all kinds of variations and paints, and womens finger nail polish/paint, but once I do this I know I won't have anyone coming back to get a repair on the the coloring. I have seen crayon, finger nail paint, and white out, and even testers, not last past a few months because some cleaners will just rip right through them. I personally think crayons, finger nail paint and white out are a stupid idea if you just think about what they are and how you are using them. Tester's is the only other product I will use, but for the people I sell to I use lacquer stiks because they are ruff and they do some true hard cleaning.

Hope this helped you in anyway possible, and yes I have tried the froglube it is a great product but for me I love Slip2000 and Mpro...that is just my opinion. I think as long as you remember to keep mineral oil, 91% alcohol, a TON of the cotton swabs on the long sticks, and do your prep work correctly this formula is basically bulletproof.

Remember this is South Louisiana we have 100% humidity all the time, you have to take a shower after just going to the mailbox, this is what makes me believe (maybe not my method) but Lacquer Stik's are > than all.

Great info, thanks
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 8:07:05 AM EDT
[#47]

Still pretty hot, but as you can see almost all the haze is gone just have to touch up the normal spots on PSA lowers. The lettering toward the top of the receiver and the safe/fire are engraved IMO bad.

The safe/fire is too thick, and the lettering is not thick enough....its always the two spots I have to touch up. When it comes with the bullet symbols its engraved just like the logo and serial number.

Anyway, one more quick touch with a swab and then let it cool off and toss another bake on it.....my digital camera is a samsung wifi and its been doing that weird shit with the colors on me, trying to fix my manual mode

settings...I guess my fiance or I messed with it.

*edit* when I was asking people in the picture thread what camera they were using I should have just bought the DSLR or whatever it was...... my S3 takes better pictures than this thing. It is hit or miss I guess when it was 65% off on amazon.com I should have known lol.

Link Posted: 5/21/2013 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#48]

Bake two...

Link Posted: 5/21/2013 8:51:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Thank you very much sir!
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#50]
What would you use for green? I'm looking at making the stag deer head green and it doesn't come in the lacquer sticks.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top