Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/7/2013 4:12:39 PM EDT
Hey guys, I'm somewhat new to this forum, I just wanted to show my "Perfect" AR-15 Build. A little background: I'm a 21 year old IT college student, started shooting ~June of last year. I since have gone through ~10 guns. I first started out with a Smith And Wesson MP15-22, then sold it to save up for a 5.56 AR with an CMMG .22 Conversion, I got the Rock River. I was new to ARs around that time and I soon started swapping parts to fit what I liked. I found myself selling basically the while thing (lower and upper separately) and now building my own "Perfect" AR.

My Arsenal:

This custom AR
Remington 700 Varmint with Vortex 6-24x50 FFP Scope
Benelli M4
Glock 22 Gen 4 and 9mm conversion barrel
Ruger 10/22
Ruger SR-22 Pistol

It is somewhat done, I am just waiting for some parts to come in. Basically I was going for a Tacticool, slick, controllable, easy to clean SHTF/3Gun AR. the Nickel Boron on Nickel Boron parts are very smooth, cycling the gun is super slick.

**UPDATED PIC**

http://i.imgur.com/DZQxmkt.jpg

Upper

Rock River Arms 20" Chrome Lined 20" 5.56 Heavy Profile Barrel
SLR Works DA7 NiB Adjustable Clamp Gas block
Spikes Melonite Rifle Length gas tube
Spikes NIB-X BCG
Troy 15" alpha rail
Lucid HD7 Gen3 (Love this Red dot! BDC works perfect with my .22 Conversion! 10MOA Hold over 25-100 yards)
WMD Guns Nickel Boron Upper, OD Green Topcoat
WMD Guns Charging Handle, Black Topcoat
Griffin Armament M4SDII Flash Comp
Troy Tritium BUIS (Meprolight Tritium Front Post, the trijicon one was too wide for my taste)
UTG Laser/Flashlight combo (Laser switch cut and soldered, easy thumb access)
DPMS Tear Drop Forward Assist
DPMS Dust Cover
Colt Barrel Nut
Tubb Chrome Silicone Extractor/Ejector Spring

Lower

Spikes Complete lower, DPMS LPK (Colt Bolt release, DPMS one wasn't working)
Geissele-SSA FCG (NiB Coated)
Magpul ACS-L
Spikes STT0 Buffer (1 oz)
BAD-EPS Enhanced Pivot and Takedown Pins
BAD-ASS Selector
Tubb  Flat Wire Chrome Silicone Buffer Spring
Kies Nickel Boron Anti Walk Pins (Modded to be Anti rotational also)

To do:

Eventually get the AR15 Performance 18" Heavy Profile barrel

The Tritium sights are really cool, my camera won't pick them up. I love the long sight radius! i will update my thread as parts come in.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Lose that riser and UTG Laser/Flashlight combo (Laser switch cut and soldered, easy thumb access) . Tritium sights are not need with a good light. Other then that it looks goog. I would of went with a 16" middy for the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lose that riser and UTG Laser/Flashlight combo (Laser switch cut and soldered, easy thumb access) . Tritium sights are not need with a good light. Other then that it looks goog. I would of went with a 16" middy for the barrel.
View Quote

What the hell is goog?  
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#3]
You also need to finish the forward assist and the dust cover.....
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input! I noticed regular sights get dark at night with the light on, the tritium sights and flashlight allow me to easily pickup the sights and see in the foreground. I have the riser to run the Laser wire through it. I know a lot of people will say the laser isn't good, but I just like it for pinking from the hip with the .22 conversion. Also, I have a theory on barrel lengths and gas systems:

My theory is that the further the gas port is from the chamber, the more distance the expanding gasses have to push the bullet. According to the chart below, I think gas systems have more effect than barrel length. I believe carbine gas systems have slower velocities than mid-length, and mid-length have slower velocities than rifle. I know the difference is very small but, this is my "Perfect AR-15 Build" Haha. My theory may be wrong, or it may be confirmed somewhere, please don't flame meh! Remember I somewhat new.

Plus, I wanted extra barrel thickness in the heavy profile from a rifle length gas system. For: Stiffer barrel, less harmonics, better cooling. Again, I know the advantages in this are very very slight.

Forward Assist and dust Cover going on tonight!

I will be swapping pics as parts go on. I should be done before the month ends. The main thing I am waiting on is the FCG to be coated with Nickled Boron from WMD Guns.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 6:24:03 PM EDT
[#5]
It's not the perfect ar15 BECAUSE HE HADN'T SAID ANYTHING AT ALL ABOUT MAMA,
OR TRAINS, OR TRUCKS, OR PRISON, OR GETTIN' DRUNK.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's not the perfect ar15 BECAUSE HE HADN'T SAID ANYTHING AT ALL ABOUT MAMA,
OR TRAINS, OR TRUCKS, OR PRISON, OR GETTIN' DRUNK.
View Quote

Hahaha.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:12:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like hell, how are you going to 3 gun with all that crap hanging off the end of your rifle..and you do not have an arsenal by any means..BTW college boy it's spelled nickel....
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Looks like hell, how are you going to 3 gun with all that crap hanging off the end of your rifle..and you do not have an arsenal by any means..BTW college boy it's spelled nickel....
View Quote

Thanks man! Appreciate the input! It seems I press the "L" before the "E" when I type.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#9]
You have much to learn about perfection, enjoy the journey.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:17:40 PM EDT
[#10]
It's the perfect rifle that works for me and how I like it. Hence the thread name "My Perfect AR-15 Build". I guess I will near my journey when I have 15,000+ posts like you. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's the perfect rifle that works for me and how I like it. Hence the thread name "My Perfect AR-15 Build". I guess I will near my journey when I have 15,000+ posts like you. Thanks!
View Quote

Post count has nothing to do with anything.  Experience shooting your perfect AR will.

ETA are you intending to leave that riser on the top, or is just holding the rail on until you are done
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:23:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds great, can't wait to finish it up and put rounds down range :).

Quoted:ETA are you intending to leave that riser on the top, or is just holding the rail on until you are done
View Quote

The riser is coming off, I just wanted to get a feel for it and to see where the AFG felt good to me. I like the long sight radius XD. I was debating the 13.8" vs this 15" for a while, no regrets with the 15", it's really light.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I will note it's generally a bad idea to Melonite barrels after they are "made" issues with the barrel extension coming unscrewed can happen.

Also Gissele does not recommend using anti walk pins with their FCGs.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for this info, I might just try my spare Chrome Lined barrel. Also, I have heard of the Geissele issue with KNS pins because of the pins being a softer stainless steel, but these anti-walk pins are Nickle Boron .154 pins:

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Kies_Nickel_Boron_Anti_Walk_Pins_p/kies-nibarpins.htm

I'm not really getting them for the Anti walk function, but more for the Nickel Boron coating.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:46:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I see a lot of rifles like this in the hands of people shooting their first rifle / multi gun matches.
It happens when you spend more time on the internet and in the garage than on the range.

Usually by their second match, most of the Chinese farkles are left home in the box.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:53:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I see a lot of rifles like this in the hands of people shooting their first rifle / multi gun matches.
It happens when you spend more time on the internet and in the garage than on the range.

Usually by their second match, most of the Chinese farkles are left home in the box.
View Quote

Haha, I've had my laser/flashlight on since my Rock River last year, works great for me. The pressure switch is usually zip-tied to the hand guard, it stays out of the way. And the flashlight is easily accessed with my pointer finger close the the AFG.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Haha, I've had my laser/flashlight on since my Rock River last year, works great for me. The pressure switch is usually zip-tied to the hand guard, it stays out of the way. And the flashlight is easily accessed with my pointer finger close the the AFG.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Works great how?  Sitting at the 100yd bench and hip shooting at 20?

Find your nearest multigun match and go, it's an eye opening experience for many.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:09:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Find your nearest multigun match and go, it's an eye opening experience for many.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the input. I like my rifle with a flashlight, and I like it with a laser :) I don't see the problem. Sure I only shoot the laser ~2% of the time, but when I'm at the range and it gets dark, I find joy in off-hand shooting with the laser. I just do. Simple enough right?

Also, I do attend my local 3gun matches, I only have been to 2 because I just turned 21. My local matches require 21 years of age or to bring a guardian.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#19]
This build is dildos
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 9:21:51 PM EDT
[#20]
my perfect rifle

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 9:23:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Are you serious?
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 9:47:33 PM EDT
[#22]

everything but the magnified Optic, the TLR-1 normally rides at 12 0 Clock not 6
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 10:48:27 PM EDT
[#23]
1) If you're gonna run 3-gun you should switch to a fixed stock.  Less to worry about if the stock moves by accident, no real need to move your stock around during a match it can throw your aim/firing position off, and provides a more stable platform against your shoulder than moving stock.

2) Found this information regarding KNS and Geissele Triggers from bigbore:
Geissele SSA pins are 0.1550" dia 0.0001. Holes in the trigger can be 5 tenths over Geissele pin size. Kns pins are either .154 or .1555. So they are either too loose or just about a metal to metal fit in Geissele triggers

Geissele pins are chrome-moly steel that is rough turned, rough ground, heat treated and then centerless finish ground. They are a quality pin.

Why do we not recommend KNS pins? One is that they are the wrong size. Can the smaller diameter pins work? Yes, but they are not the intended size and there can be a 'softer" break to the 2nd stage with them.

But the biggest reason is that the KNS pins are soft. Sometimes when they are installed they pull up a burr that causes havoc with trigger operation. I get calls from frustrated customers where they are totally disappointed in their SSA because it either feels terrible or it hangs up. I spend all kinds of time on the phone wracking my brain trying to figure out what is going on and trying to work the customer through the problem. Finally, I ask the customer to send the trigger in (which I hate to inconvenience the customer with) and the issue is that the KNS pins are jamming the trigger up.
View Quote

3) Riser really needs to go.  

4) Just my opinion but the ASAP sling point makes a crapload of noise and I'm not a fan of it.  I actually have a couple of them sitting in my parts bin because I took them off.

5) Forward assist and ejection port door needs to be installed.

6) UTG light/laser:  It's been addressed but honestly you should change it out/take it off if you're gonna run in competitions.

7) Lucid is a nice red dot but again in 3-gun might wanna consider a 1-4x scope or something along those lines.

Just my 2 cents, hope you can make the changes that allow you to compete. Good luck on your build.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 11:48:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
1) If you're gonna run 3-gun you should switch to a fixed stock.  Less to worry about if the stock moves by accident, no real need to move your stock around during a match it can throw your aim/firing position off, and provides a more stable platform against your shoulder than moving stock.

4) Just my opinion but the ASAP sling point makes a crapload of noise and I'm not a fan of it.  I actually have a couple of them sitting in my parts bin because I took them off.

6) UTG light/laser:  It's been addressed but honestly you should change it out/take it off if you're gonna run in competitions.

7) Lucid is a nice red dot but again in 3-gun might wanna consider a 1-4x scope or something along those lines.

Just my 2 cents, hope you can make the changes that allow you to compete. Good luck on your build.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Geissele SSA pins are 0.1550" dia 0.0001. Holes in the trigger can be 5 tenths over Geissele pin size. Kns pins are either .154 or .1555. So they are either too loose or just about a metal to metal fit in Geissele triggers

Geissele pins are chrome-moly steel that is rough turned, rough ground, heat treated and then centerless finish ground. They are a quality pin.

Why do we not recommend KNS pins? One is that they are the wrong size. Can the smaller diameter pins work? Yes, but they are not the intended size and there can be a 'softer" break to the 2nd stage with them.

But the biggest reason is that the KNS pins are soft. Sometimes when they are installed they pull up a burr that causes havoc with trigger operation. I get calls from frustrated customers where they are totally disappointed in their SSA because it either feels terrible or it hangs up. I spend all kinds of time on the phone wracking my brain trying to figure out what is going on and trying to work the customer through the problem. Finally, I ask the customer to send the trigger in (which I hate to inconvenience the customer with) and the issue is that the KNS pins are jamming the trigger up.

Thanks for your info!

1. I just can't do fixed stocks. The ACS-L works fine with the locking feature.

2. Maybe the .154 pins with the thin NiB-x coating can make it .155? I will see how the Kies NiB-x pins run when they get here. NiB on Steel (Or Aluminum for that matter) is gritty.

3. The riser holding the upper and the alpha rail together? I just put it on to get a feel for it, it's leaving soon. The light/laser riser is staying, the laser switch is running through it.

4.Yeah I started hating the ASAP too, I have a Impact Weapons Components QD end plate on the way.

5. Got them here, installing soon.

6. If I may ask, why? I feel since half of the day is dark (well a bit less than half), having a light on a rifle is a no-brainer. Is it just the brand? The weight? The light is really bright, laser holds zero, I like the pressure switch. I don't mind the extra weight.

7. Yeah I love the Lucid. My 3gun place usually only run 1 long range course for rifle. Everything else is mainly under 15 yards. I run the Lucid with the 2x screw in magnifier for the longer ranges, really helps. And to be honest, like I said, I've only been to 2 matches, if I really get into it, I might start a new upper/build. But this is mainly my SHTF/Hobby range gun.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:09:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Ah I see, you're cheating a bit and holding the rail and upper with a riser haha.  Ok no problem, usually risers are only good for low mounted optics.

Good choice on the IWC qd.  It's a nice piece.

Only reason why I say change out the UTG stuff is because if it's SHTF you wanna be able to rely upon the items.  UTG is not known to have the best quality control.  So maybe running a Streamlight with a pressure switch.  Or another option is the Insight/Eotech combo (used/new one from Ebay might for around 150-200).  If it's really just for plinking then ya go for it and I see no problems with running a UTG.  

http://images1.opticsplanet.com/755-405-ffffff/opplanet-eotech-m6x-green-laser-led-light-combo-slide-lock-m6x600a3.jpg

Ah so your comps are mostly short distances.  Make sense to run a regular red dot then.  I was thinking that you'd run into 50-100 yd and/or 100-200 yd targets.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:11:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Let me know how the griffin flash comp works.  I was curious on how it compared to some other ones on the market.  It does look good.

One other thing doesn't the bad-ass ambi switch bind on the egro grip?  I had to shave a section off of my grip with an exacto knife so that it didn't.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:19:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ah I see, you're cheating a bit and holding the rail and upper with a riser haha.  Ok no problem, usually risers are only good for low mounted optics.

Good choice on the IWC qd.  It's a nice piece.

Only reason why I say change out the UTG stuff is because if it's SHTF you wanna be able to rely upon the items.  UTG is not known to have the best quality control.  So maybe running a Streamlight with a pressure switch.  Or another option is the Insight/Eotech combo (used/new one from Ebay might for around 150-200).  If it's really just for plinking then ya go for it and I see no problems with running a UTG.  

http://images1.opticsplanet.com/755-405-ffffff/opplanet-eotech-m6x-green-laser-led-light-combo-slide-lock-m6x600a3.jpg

Ah so your comps are mostly short distances.  Make sense to run a regular red dot then.  I was thinking that you'd run into 50-100 yd and/or 100-200 yd targets.
View Quote

That looks nice. I guess once I went to the Laser/Flashlight combo, I can't go back haha. I like having the laser level and close to the boreline and having a 50 yard laser zero. I might consider a higher end laser/flashlight setup later. And yeah, the range has 5 pits, the last pit has a max of just 100 yards so I guess that's all they're limited to. With a 50 yard red dot zero, I just hold a the bottom of the plates at 100 yards and.. Ding!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:22:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Let me know how the griffin flash comp works.  I was curious on how it compared to some other ones on the market.  It does look good.

One other thing doesn't the bad-ass ambi switch bind on the egro grip?  I had to shave a section off of my grip with an exacto knife so that it didn't.
View Quote

Bran8o8, The Flashcomp works great! Especially with the .22 Conversion :p. When I get the adjustable gas block, I plan to set it to let enough gas through to run reliably when dirty and in combination with the comp, have a low recoil gun. Which is also why I went with the carbine buffer.

And I can't speak for the ergo grip, the one I have is Hogue. works perfect. It's regular size on the left, higher and shorter on the right to give clearance for your finger.

Edit: I PM'd you. Don't know if you got it, I don't see it in my outbox.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:46:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Oops I meant Hogue grip sorry not Ergo.  

In case you were wondering what I was working with.

http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s557/bran8o8/DSC01609_zps5b09c113.jpg

Here's some light options that I use:

http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s557/bran8o8/DSC01616_zpsb0ce3d8e.jpg

The second rifle from the right side is a work in progress.  Not sure what kind of handguard I'm going to use right now it's a fortis 14".  The harris bipod is gonna go, looking at the tango down ones but for 200 it's a little steep.  

Third from the left is a 22lr cmmg dedicated upper/barrel.  Rest of these rifles are 5.56.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 3:24:19 AM EDT
[#30]
OK, I'm starting to get it.  The thread was less of a "what do you think?" thread, and more of a "lookit what I did!", with commentary not really welcome.

You've bitten off a lot with one rifle, but have done OK with the rifle parts themselves thus far.  IMHO, SHTF and 3-gun are diametrically opposed to each other.  I think of a SHTF weapon as a lightweight carbine with a simple 1X optic (aimpoint, eotech) that's "accurate enough", and a 3-gun as a heavier, longer, more accurate rifle with a variable (or higher powered) optic.

I know you're not looking for feedback (as demonstrated by the "yeah, but...." every time someone who's been there, done that has given you feedback thus far).  So enjoy your new rifle.  Shoot it a lot.  Compete with it.  Understand that the real competitors at the 3 gun matches are going to tell you they love your rifle, flashlight,  and Chinese optics - because they know they'll be taking your lunch money until it sinks in.  When it does sink in, at least you've got a really good base platform to work with.

Very good start, but keep an open mind and understand that your first "perfect rifle" will not last 6 months.  I had to have two perfect rifles just to sleep at night.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:09:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
OK, I'm starting to get it.  The thread was less of a "what do you think?" thread, and more of a "lookit what I did!", with commentary not really welcome.

You've bitten off a lot with one rifle, but have done OK with the rifle parts themselves thus far.  IMHO, SHTF and 3-gun are diametrically opposed to each other.  I think of a SHTF weapon as a lightweight carbine with a simple 1X optic (aimpoint, eotech) that's "accurate enough", and a 3-gun as a heavier, longer, more accurate rifle with a variable (or higher powered) optic.

I know you're not looking for feedback (as demonstrated by the "yeah, but...." every time someone who's been there, done that has given you feedback thus far).  So enjoy your new rifle.  Shoot it a lot.  Compete with it.  Understand that the real competitors at the 3 gun matches are going to tell you they love your rifle, flashlight,  and Chinese optics - because they know they'll be taking your lunch money until it sinks in.  When it does sink in, at least you've got a really good base platform to work with.

Very good start, but keep an open mind and understand that your first "perfect rifle" will not last 6 months.  I had to have two perfect rifles just to sleep at night.
View Quote

"yeah, but...." ? I haven't posted that once. And I have been taking people's feedback here very well. Some posts recommend me to change the config to how they see is better, but may not necessarily be how I would like it.

I think we can all agree that we all have our idea of a "perfect rifle". This is mine. Which is why the thread is "My perfect Rifle", not "The perfect Rifle".

Many have suggested to remove the flashlight. As I said, in my opinion, since about half of the day is dark, every weapon should have a light. And well mine just happens to have a laser and I like it. I have taken input to upgrade it later.

And as for the good info for Meloniting barrels, I have contacted ar15performance and they might be able to sell me an 18" 5r Melonited barrel. I've heard good things from them.

As I said before, this is more of a hobby range gun/shtf than a 3gun rifle. Even then, as I said, my range where we shoot 3gun is limited to 100 yards. The 2moa dot works fine for me.

I feel that having an open mind would also include letting others having an open mind.

I plan to change the light later, I still want a laser. I find the Lucid hd7 useful for the 10moa bdc drops when using my 22 conversion or shooting upclose (20moa holdover for 10 yards, 10moa holdover for 20 yards) and like that it uses AAA batteries.

Thanks for your input!
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:09:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Double post
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:32:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Also, I have a theory on barrel lengths and gas systems:

My theory is that the further the gas port is from the chamber, the more distance the expanding gasses have to push the bullet. According to the chart below, I think gas systems have more effect than barrel length. I believe carbine gas systems have slower velocities than mid-length, and mid-length have slower velocities than rifle. I know the difference is very small but, this is my "Perfect AR-15 Build" Haha. My theory may be wrong, or it may be confirmed somewhere, please don't flame meh! Remember I somewhat new.

I will be swapping pics as parts go on. I should be done before the month ends. The main thing I am waiting on is the FCG to be coated with Nickled Boron from WMD Guns.
View Quote

You think the gas system lengths have more effect on bullet velocity than barrel length??

Why would you coat a Gieselle trigger?  They are about as perfect as can be.  

Just curious about this post.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:38:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Oops I meant Hogue grip sorry not Ergo.  

In case you were wondering what I was working with.

<a href="http://s1305.photobucket.com/user/bran8o8/media/DSC01609_zps5b09c113.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s557/bran8o8/DSC01609_zps5b09c113.jpg</a>

Here's some light options that I use:

<a href="http://s1305.photobucket.com/user/bran8o8/media/DSC01616_zpsb0ce3d8e.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s557/bran8o8/DSC01616_zpsb0ce3d8e.jpg</a>

The second rifle from the right side is a work in progress.  Not sure what kind of handguard I'm going to use right now it's a fortis 14".  The harris bipod is gonna go, looking at the tango down ones but for 200 it's a little steep.  

Third from the left is a 22lr cmmg dedicated upper/barrel.  Rest of these rifles are 5.56.
View Quote

Wow nice stuff! I want to also make a scoped setup later. And if I had the money, I would make a basic M4 style KISS setup with a detachable carry handle and a2 front sight. I just can't find any other Ar15 that looks cooler to me than a simple m4 style, basic handguard, usgi magazine, etc.

Nice stuff though! I'm digging the dedicated .22. I love using my conversion with 15-22 mags with the magazine adapter.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:48:35 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

You think the gas system lengths have more effect on bullet velocity than barrel length??
View Quote

I guess I should have worded it differently. I just feel like the more distance before the bullet passes the gas port, the more it has to accelerate before useful gas is vented to cycle the gun rather than keep pushing the bullet. Keep in mind, I can be dead wrong. But it's just my newbie theory. Basically, a carbine system would be slower than a middy, middy would be slower than a rifle system, and a rifle length would be slows than a bolt action. Just a theory :o. I understand barrels have to be long enough for dwell time in gas systems.

And also, the trigger was super gritty against the Nib bolt. I am anxious to see how it will feel after being nib coated :o
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:05:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently NiB is awesomeness!!!

Since the critical mating/ engagement  surfaces are cut/ ground after coating the FCG, not sure how it would pan out after blasting the original coating off and applying the new. IMO, it will FUBAR a completely good trigger.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Since the critical mating/ engagement  surfaces are cut/ ground after coating the FCG, not sure how it would pan out after blasting the original coating off and applying the new. IMO, it will FUBAR a completely good trigger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tagged - can you please let us know how the trigger turns out after you get some rounds through it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 1:03:03 PM EDT
[#38]
I was tired last night when I said your build is dildos.  Please allow me to expound on that (and a lot of what I say has already been covered by others)-

It seems like you put a lot of emphasis on making sure your gun looks cool.  That isn't a bad thing, per se , but if it starts to impact the function of the gun is where it goes too far.  It seems like you're going for a black/OD/chrome motif.  Not my choice, but if you like it then great.  I think you're taking the Nickel Boron to the extreme.  

I would not do anything to the Geissele FCG that isn't recommended, this includes anti-walk pins and the Nickel Boron coating, but if you want to do it go for it.  Think of a Geissele as a fine tuned pocket watch.  Don't modify it in ways it was not designed to be modified.  

I'm not going to hammer you on not having a dust cover and fwd assist, since you said they are now put on, but why did you go with the teardrop one?  

The flat wire buffer spring is nothing more than a marketing gimmick.  It is supposedly "easier to clean" but it is a PITA in removing it from the buffer tube.  It is a waste of money, IMO.  

The UTG laser/light combo is garbage.  Also, does the tape switch operate both laser and light?  If not, then you're going to have to take your support hand off the rifle to operate it.  Not ideal for 3G, fucking stupid idea for a HD or SHTF rifle.  But the UTG light laser is garbage anyways.  I am not knocking UTG (unlike a lot of people here) because there are many people who sing UTG's praises in the AK world for making inexpensive, durable components.  The UTG light/laser isn't one of them though.  

You don't need the Tritium inserts in the rear sight, your eye is supposed to focus on the front sight so I feel that anything in the rear just distracts the shooter, but to each his own...

A 3G and SHTF rifle are 2 different things, unless the type of shit you are preparing for is your neighborhood to be magically turned into a 3 Gun course.  

Are you a lefty?  If not, why did you get the ambi selector?  If you are, why didn't you get an ambi mag release too?

Does your Lucid have any kind of co-witness at all with all the risers and other shit on there?  I don't think Larue makes a QD mount for the Lucid, so if it were to fail during a 3G run the time it would take for you to take it off during a run would really hurt your time.  If it were to fail in a SHTF, someone who knows how to use maneuver and supressive fire will toast your ass.  Also, the saying "you get what you pay for" applies heavily to optics.  Unless it is a Primary Arms or other high quality budget optic, usually you get what you pay for.  There is a reason why Aimpoint and Eotech are so popular on this board and others.  

The rifle-length barrel with that high angle grip just don't speak to me an effective for a HD/SHTF gun.  Again, each person's SHTF rifle is different because of the scenario they are anticipating or preparing for.  Personally, I want one that is compact enough that I can use it to clear my house and protect my family, and if an absolute worst case Red Dawn happens, it can be easily fired from a vehicle.  If your neighborhood turns into a 3G course you are set though.  

If it were me, I'd sell your gun part by part, and you may have enough for a PSA with a Aimpoint PRO and MI rear sight.  Use whatever money you'd have left over and buy ammo, shoot it, and go to some training.  I'm not from TX so I don't know what kind of training is available in your area, but you can go over to the Texas Hometown Forum on here and watch for training in your area.  Use the training to determine what your weaknesses are then go to the range and focus your practice on improving your weaknesses.  If you're already competing in 3G, the best of luck to you.  If you aren't competing yet, it can be a very humbling experience even for very seasoned and experienced shooters.  Train, practice, compete, review - repeat cycle.  

For a SHTF rifle, you need to evaluate what you are preparing for.  Honestly, the only type of situation where I see your gun being a good SHTF gun is for a world with only AAA batteries and no lubrication.  Many people use car engine oil and other lubrication instead of dedicated CLP, Ballistol, Hoppe's 9, etc... so in a absolute worst case, I could find an abandoned vehicle, drain the oil and use it to lubricate my rifle.  That being said, I think other than looking cool, Nickel Boron is a waste of money on anything except for maybe the Bolt Carrier (and that's debatable).  Just something fun for you to do- add up the money you have spent on Nickel Boron coating of your parts and see if that total could have given you a better part, one that you sacrificed on since you're on a budget - like a Surefire Scout weapon light.  

Also, listen to the people on here.  There is a lot of information available from the people on this board.  Don't be dismissal of their input, feedback, and advice.

ETA- One last thing, the placement of the tape switch and use of the AFG2 makes it look like you are using an exaggerated C Clamp grip on your support hand (left hand I am assuming).  If you use the C Clamp, great, if that works for you then do it.  Just don't do it because you saw someone use it in a Youtube video or a Magpul video.  Use a shot timer and see if that method works for you.  I use an AFG2 as well, and I don't see how a tape switch at that location, especially it not being taped or velcroed down can be useful, but if it works for you then go with it.  I just want to emphasize that you shouldn't be using that method only because Uber Coastie Costa uses it.  I'm not trying to turn this thread into a C Clamp pro/con discussion because that is done weekly in GD.  Get a shot timer and see if you're actually faster with the C Clamp since you are using this in 3G.  Once you upgrade your light, use double sided tape or industrial strength velcro to keep the switch in place and not where it is simply ran thru the squid holes in the Troy rail.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Just a quick update,

I bought a vise and barrel vise clamps and installed the barrel, as well as everything else on the upper.

I am still waiting for my trigger to get coated from WMD Guns, should be another week. I have installed the Nibo Adjustable gas block from SLR rifle works, it looks great, looks promising.

Also, the Kies NiB anti walk are not anti rotational. But with some thin nylon spacers, it holds it tight and prevents then from walking or rotating XD.

TODO:

Install trigger
Clean up aluminum marks on barrel
Install Troy Alpha rail.
Install Troy Tritium sights

Hand Cycling the NiB bolt feels really smooth with the NiB upper!
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 9:35:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 8:26:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Hey Josh, for getting into the game just over a year ago you are doing fine.  Unfortunately there are some members who think your gun is crap if it's not an exact copy of theirs and it's a crap copy if it is.  I say welcome and I hope that you are taking as many college friends as possible out shooting and giving them a good introduction to the sport.  Stay safe out there and keep them safe too.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The riser is coming off, I just wanted to get a feel for it and to see where the AFG felt good to me. I like the long sight radius XD. I was debating the 13.8" vs this 15" for a while, no regrets with the 15", it's really light.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:ETA are you intending to leave that riser on the top, or is just holding the rail on until you are done

Thank you for sayn that ridiculous riser is coming off..

With a 18inch heavy profile barrel, it MAY ( probably will ) be front heavy, so just a heads up, my RRA with a heavier profile 16inch is front heavy, and i have 6 inches less rail.

Nice looking rifle though, things you may or may not change about it once you get everything in would probably be the utg light, the afg.. looks good though.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 1:25:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Hey Josh, for getting into the game just over a year ago you are doing fine.  Unfortunately there are some members who think your gun is crap if it's not an exact copy of theirs and it's a crap copy if it is.  I say welcome and I hope that you are taking as many college friends as possible out shooting and giving them a good introduction to the sport.  Stay safe out there and keep them safe too.
View Quote

Not sure if serious.

Many here are just giving sound advice.  The laser light combo is not a good one period.  If he wants a laser then by all means get a laser.  Get a quality laser and run with it.  No one is saying not to run a light either.  Lights are a solid add on that is value added, just not the light he has.  

For the most part the guys on here offer sound advice based on person experience.  3gun requires a lot of barrier shooting as well as standing or prone shooting.  The laser hanging low like that is asking for a snag or damage.

The issue I have is that he probably voided his SSA warranty by having it coated.  I have had other triggers coated and NiB will smooth out most materials, but the SSA is a quality trigger that doesn't need anything.  If his was gritty he should have sent it back and they would have found the issue.

OP if you are ever in the Austin area on a weekend and want to go shooting, let me know I hit the range in Lockart 2-3 times a month.

Link Posted: 10/4/2013 2:36:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks man! Yeah I don't mind the advice, I actually took some of it, like the posts saying the ASAP was rattles too much, and I want to upgrade the laser/light later, but it's not a priority right now.

Some posts have been suggesting that I don't need certain parts like the tear drop FA, or Ambi selector. It's kind of weird, since the it's similar to the anti gun crowed :p. "Why do you need that forward assist" I don't need it, I like it. Plus it's easier on my palm. "Bro, work out" Plus I think it looks cool "Looks cool? Function over looks bruh".

Link Posted: 10/4/2013 2:53:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Not sure if serious.

Many here are just giving sound advice.  The laser light combo is not a good one period.  If he wants a laser then by all means get a laser.  Get a quality laser and run with it.  No one is saying not to run a light either.  Lights are a solid add on that is value added, just not the light he has.  

For the most part the guys on here offer sound advice based on person experience.  3gun requires a lot of barrier shooting as well as standing or prone shooting.  The laser hanging low like that is asking for a snag or damage.

The issue I have is that he probably voided his SSA warranty by having it coated.  I have had other triggers coated and NiB will smooth out most materials, but the SSA is a quality trigger that doesn't need anything.  If his was gritty he should have sent it back and they would have found the issue.

OP if you are ever in the Austin area on a weekend and want to go shooting, let me know I hit the range in Lockart 2-3 times a month.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure if serious.

Thanks man, I will keep that in mind. Just a note, I said it was gritty because the the steel vs Nib contact on the Bolt Carrier. And I really didn't want to change the hammer. So I got it all coated. Basically any part that contacts on my gun is Nib Coated. I know it might be an over kill. But who knows, maybe the trigger will feel really great. I will report back.

As far as the laser/flash light, I will just keep it on for now.

I am not saying this in a condescending way by any means, but I would like to see other's idea of your perfect rifles :).

I love the AR15, I was surprised how easy it was to put one together. I think the hardest part was putting on the barrel. And yes, I used a torque wrench, anti seize, pre-stretched the threads, lined up the gas tube hole Perfectly.

Link Posted: 10/4/2013 2:59:37 PM EDT
[#46]

All I need is the FCG :P
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't think it's condescending, I can post 3 of my builds that I think are better
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Sweet! let's see it :D
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 5:47:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Nah, I am not out to steal your thunder.  We just don't understand some of your choices.  There is some decent advice in this thread, but hey, to each their own, right?  
Enjoy your rifle.
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 12:48:24 PM EDT
[#50]
You have a nice setup man. But dont buy anything utg lol. Also you are starting an arsenal. Remember... Some guys have more guns than you and are better than you on here.So they think. And they will let you know that. But hey man its your AR so you do it how you want. But if you have done enough research. You would already know some of your ideas arent up to par.  I started around the same time you did and now i have five guns. But.... I read everday about what is the best for my gun. By the reviews of parts and accessories. And you should know better by saying the perfect AR and then saying UTG lol.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top