BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/15/2012 11:21:25 AM EDT
Just finished up a project I've been working on for over a year now, I pretty proud of it so I had to share.  About 6 months of that was waiting for parts then another 7 months waiting on the tax stamp, working on it in between as I could.  It stared life as a regular 5.45 Saiga sporter,  did the de-milling on it, removed the side scope mount, chopped up the factory trigger guard and welded it to the mag catch assy,  added a pistol grip reinforcement plate.  The receiver was cut for the sidefolder stock, barrel was cut to 10.5" and re-profiled for the 105 sight/gas block, cut down gas tube, custom length piston ect ect.

I had lusted after a krink for a long time but prices are just too high for my pocket book.  This project was my idea of a practical AK on a budget.  I'm a Saiga nut and really wanted a build with an original Russian receiver and barrel.

D.

Before:

After:

Link Posted: 5/15/2012 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Honestly, one of the coolest things I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 11:28:58 AM EDT
[#2]
That looks very nice! You did a great job!

Front end looks sort of like 9mm Vityaz
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 11:44:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 11:45:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow.......very nice.  BTW, what kind of mag is that?
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#5]
very nice! When I do mine I had planned on using an AMD gas piston to gain an extra inch. I like what you have done here. Very well played sir! Would like to see the piston mod you used and the gas tube not on rifle.

ETA:

Why did you remove the scope rail?

Link Posted: 5/15/2012 12:17:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wow.......very nice.  BTW, what kind of mag is that?

It's just a Bulgy Circle 21.

Quoted:
very nice! When I do mine I had planned on using an AMD gas piston to gain an extra inch. I like what you have done here. Very well played sir! Would like to see the piston mod you used and the gas tube not on rifle.

ETA:

Why did you remove the scope rail?

I really prefer the clean look without the optic rail.  That and I felt there were better options out there that would work in conjunction with the sidefolder.  Plus it dropped some useless weight.

D.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 12:24:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Lord, please forgive me for having lustful thoughts about xjedix's rifle.  I really like the idea of

starting out in sporter configuration, it really helps to keep the cost down,  especially when you're

modding it as much as you did. Have you thought about putting the standard SLR106 or 7 UR foregrips on it?

ETA: Could you please do a financial break down of what each part and modification cost you, for those of us

interested in doing the same thing to our rifles? I'm interested in what model number of Saiga you started with,

what type of gas block and where did you get it, who did all the mods, etc....
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Lord, please forgive me for having lustful thoughts about xjedix's rifle.  I really like the idea of

starting out in sporter configuration, it really helps to keep the cost down,  especially when you're

modding it as much as you did. Have you thought about putting the standard SLR106 or 7 UR foregrips on it?

ETA: Could you please do a financial break down of what each part and modification cost you, for those of us

interested in doing the same thing to our rifles? I'm interested in what model number of Saiga you started with,

THIS please.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I rarely give out compliments. That is a clear indicator of how well deserved a compliment is when I give one. Absolutely well done!

I have been planning a very similar 5.45 build from a Romanian, but I will be using a modified MI extended SS handguard, triangle folder, and will leaving enough barrel beyond the gas block to thread for an AAC mount/brake.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 3:10:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I like it a lot.

Well Done!
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#12]
That is one awesome rifle.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#13]
great job
very good use of funds
now you can afford more mags & ammo  
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Excellent work. One of the best I have seen.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 4:06:52 PM EDT
[#15]
fricken sweet!!!

How does she shoot?  What type of accuracy are you getting?
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 4:50:13 PM EDT
[#16]
holy shit....

personally though, i would have added a triangle folder with Russian Laminate but either way that is just amazing.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 5:14:43 PM EDT
[#17]
That turned out great, nice job. Did you add the folding stock and cut the barrel yourself or did you send it out?
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Best thing I have seen on the forums in a super long time, I agree with everyone else breakdown please because I like you have been lusting after a 5.45 krink but prices are killing me.  I have a sbr project I am waiting on, I love the idea of being able to shoot this until the stamp comes back.  Again well done sir I am impressed.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I would have kept the original gas system but either way you did a really sweet job on that thing

I as well am interested in more build details
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for all the comments, it means a lot!

Quoted:

Build breakdown looks like this.  Some of the small parts I had laying around like the pistol grip, gas tube ect.

Saiga 5.45 rifle   $350 (Centerfire Systems)
AK-105 sightblock and muzzle brake  $130~ (Rusmilitary)
AK-100 series stock   $150~ (Rusmilitary)
Russian lower handguard retainer  $20 (Kvar)
Russian handguards  $25 (Kvar)
Tapco FCG  $23 (Private Party)
Pistol Grip Reinforcement Plate  $10 (AK Builder)
Custom gas piston  $40  (Turbothis)
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
$748~ in parts

+ $200 tax stamp
+ $60 for engraving
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Total of $1,008

I also sold some of the take off parts so it's probably more like $950~.

I did pretty much all of the work myself with the exception of having the receiver holes welded up (Great job done by AZEX) and a good friend helping with the lathe work on the barrel.

Quoted:
fricken sweet!!!

How does she shoot?  What type of accuracy are you getting?

Haven't had a chance to get it on paper yet.  Just test fired it yesterday and refinished it last night.

I will update when I get to it though.

Quoted:
holy shit....

personally though, i would have added a triangle folder with Russian Laminate but either way that is just amazing.

That was the original plan, triangle stock and wood handguads; but triangle stocks were not available at the time I ordered it.

They're available now though, and I plan on doing just that when I get some extra cash.

Quoted:
That turned out great, nice job. Did you add the folding stock and cut the barrel yourself or did you send it out?

Thanks.  Yeah I did the majority of the stock installation and barrel work myself, a good friend assisted with the lathe work on the barrel to fit the 105 sight block.

D.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 5:54:14 PM EDT
[#21]
quite possibly the most beautiful gun I have ever seen.

Incredible.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 6:02:34 PM EDT
[#22]
That has to be one of the coolest custom builds I've seen .  Job well done Sir!!!
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 6:08:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Great job on your rifle.  I wish there were more threads like this here.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Great looking gun!  Nice work.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 6:25:42 PM EDT
[#25]
So awesome I have to post twice.  As for the triangular folder +100000000.  Nice work.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Great job, thats a one of a kind AK.  I wish I had skills other than talking shit.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 7:00:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Very cool!  
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#28]
I really like it, great build! That being said, I would have done a 105 clone, or collected a few extra parts and built a Saiga based Krink.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 7:56:10 PM EDT
[#29]
that is just awesome

very nicely done

Link Posted: 5/15/2012 8:50:55 PM EDT
[#30]
I am so happy to see this! I just got a call that my ak105ish sbr is done(still at builder waiting on forms to clear. Mine will look just like your but one inch longer. I used an AK74 kit with original barrel, with a nodak sf receiver and bulgy ak105ish fs/gb. I used AMD65 piston and port location. I like yours a bit more because of all the Russian parts! Very nice. Im gonna try to sneek by and get some pics of mine this week.

James
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 9:31:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Wow!  That is nice!

I'm sure I'm not the only person looking at that rifle and thinking, "Hmmm...I need one of those."

Very cool.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 9:33:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Man I had to come back and drool over this thing again, I had planned on a PTR for my next buy but damn I may have to pick up a IZ-240.  Problem is they are getting hard to find for less than $350 now lol, damn what a nice build!
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 9:40:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I've always thought about building one like this.  Looks great!  Good job!
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 2:11:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Very nice  What kind of paint did you use to refinish it?
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 5:08:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Honestly, one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

+545
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 5:09:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Awesome looking!
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 10:44:13 AM EDT
[#37]
I had to come back to this thread and say the following.

Your rifle has inspired me and I want one with the following differences.

- 7.62x39
- fixed stock

it would be the perfect carbine.
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 11:37:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Very nice  What kind of paint did you use to refinish it?

Refinished with Gun Kote in satin black.

Quoted:
I had to come back to this thread and say the following.

Your rifle has inspired me and I want one with the following differences.

- 7.62x39
- fixed stock

it would be the perfect carbine.

Draco seems like it would fit the bill nicely.  Would save a lot of work having the gas system/ barrel work already done.

D.
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 11:39:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Fucking sexy. Absolutely love it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 12:17:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Just WOW! How does it shoot! I bet as good as it looks............................Sully
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 4:08:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Really Nice!

For the gas tube, did you just cut it or was there other work involved on it?

So we can just ask Turbothis for a piston and show him this link to get the same piston you use?

Did you need to remove some material at the front of the lower handguard, or does the retainer still move far enough forward to allow the standard handguard to be removed?
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 4:58:17 AM EDT
[#42]
That is so cool. I have access to a 5.45 at dealer price. may have to get it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 5:57:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Really Nice!

For the gas tube, did you just cut it or was there other work involved on it?

So we can just ask Turbothis for a piston and show him this link to get the same piston you use?

Did you need to remove some material at the front of the lower handguard, or does the retainer still move far enough forward to allow the standard handguard to be removed?

Gas tube was cut then re-flared to fit over the gas block.  It was a little bit of a pain in the ass because of the length I cut the gas tube, it's basically double the wall thickness right there at the forward retainer.

Yeah contact this guy, should be able to take care of you:  http://mygunsnorthwest.com/contact.html

No modifications to the handguard itself but I did have to relieve the lever on the lower handguard retainer to clear the gas block.

D.
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 5:02:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Put some rounds through the AK today.  Ran like a top, no issues at all.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9EtFPLD_us

D.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 9:43:22 PM EDT
[#45]
New pics, not very good ones though.  I've had enough sun today already so I shot these indoors.

Link Posted: 5/21/2012 9:49:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Awesome! I need to start saving up for one like yours.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 9:59:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Simply, simply beautiful!

Link Posted: 5/21/2012 10:07:33 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm trying to decide what optic setup to go with.  I'm looking at either a TWS railed top cover with a Aimpoint Micro (most likely Primary Arms clone for now) or a Midwest style mount with a Burris Fastfire.

I really hate to kill the almost factory look it has now.

D.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 10:39:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm trying to decide what optic setup to go with.  I'm looking at either a TWS railed top cover with a Aimpoint Micro (most likely Primary Arms clone for now) or a Midwest style mount with a Burris Fastfire.

I really hate to kill the almost factory look it has now.

D.

How about an Attero Arms mount? Bravo version is for T-1 and clones; Alpha version is for Burris FastFire/PA micro reflex/Leupold Delta/Trijicon RMR. Here is Alpha mount with PA Micro reflex dot on my SLR-106CR

Link Posted: 5/21/2012 11:08:41 PM EDT
[#50]
The only thing that steers me towards the TWS setup is the potential to basically double my sight radius with the irons.  The Attero mount would actually shorten it.

If TWS had a flip up rear sight available it would be a done deal. Not so hot on a fixed rear sight though.

Nice rifle BTW!  How do you like that optic setup?

D.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top