Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/8/2010 12:52:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/8/2010 1:33:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Can do, no problem.
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 10:51:23 PM EDT
[#3]
The website and other ads clearly point out that the stainless steel is reinforcing the locking areas of the mag as well.

Would it be cool to see a photo of maybe even just the SS cage? Sure would, but I'm not going to demand it.
Count me in as a an early adopter, I'm going to see how well these feed and handle our sub 0 temps back home.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#4]
What's going on with these?  Has anybody actaully seen one yet?
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 1:12:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By SGCUSA:
http://sgcusa.com/images/US_PALM_AK30_Magazine.jpg

"That quake you just felt? That came from Sofia, Bulgaria." -Gabe Suarez

Looks nice but are they shipping?  Where can I get a couple?
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 5:56:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zix] [#7]
I can also understand wanting to support a US company (and a local one at that), but with the price 2-3x more than that of the 30 round Bulgarian polymer magazines it's a little hard to do.  Is there anything (other than being US made) that makes this mag worth that much more?  
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 7:01:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PoliticalScience] [#8]
Looks like metal to me, just as I figured.  And they didn't even have to cut one in half because of some childish demand.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#9]
2 questions... when are they available, and when in 5.45
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 4:50:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MattCFII] [#10]
Originally Posted By Zix:
I can also understand wanting to support a US company (and a local one at that), but with the price 2-3x more than that of the 30 round Bulgarian polymer magazines it's a little hard to do.  Is there anything (other than being US made) that makes this mag worth that much more?  
Because word on the street is that they are better than the $30 Bulgarian Waffle Circle 10 mags which up to this point have been the Gold standard for AK mag.  The flat sided Bulgarians that you mention are ok but I would buy Combloc steel before them.  Of my 30 or so AK mags, the Palm are going to be my first line self defense mags, then the Bulgarian waffles, followed by the Combloc steel.  

The other advantage of these mags is that they have 3 net parts for 922r.  Up until now Tapco was the best U.S. mag running but it still left a lot to be desired for serious use.    

Link Posted: 2/5/2010 6:27:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jljen] [#11]
Originally Posted By US-PALM:
Initial orders are starting to be filled. We are working VERY HARD on a 10-round version which will be a blocked 30 rounder. Since it IS a sealed design, you will be 100% compliant w/o pop-rivets or tack-welds. They will be marked 30/10 for easy ID. Should be available around SHOT. We'll keep you posted.

Any update on progress of the 10-rounders?  I've been checking Facebook, Twitter, your website, and here.  So far I haven't heard anything more and I'd like to buy a few to test out.  Any updates would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 8:18:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By MattCFII:
Originally Posted By Zix:
Because word on the street is that they are better than the $30 Bulgarian Waffle Circle 10 mags which up to this point have been the Gold standard for AK mag.  The flat sided Bulgarians that you mention are ok but I would buy Combloc steel before them.  Of my 30 or so AK mags, the Palm are going to be my first line self defense mags, then the Bulgarian waffles, followed by the Combloc steel.  

The other advantage of these mags is that they have 3 net parts for 922r.  Up until now Tapco was the best U.S. mag running but it still left a lot to be desired for serious use.    

you have already decided to use the palm mag as your go to mag?? have you held or used one yet?the 3 US parts are nice and I will probably buy a few just for that purpose but it would take alot of actual hands on before I would consider them as reliable as Bulg waffle mags/Euro steel mags let alone superior?
has there been some beta testing and reviews going on that I have missed..
these mags look like a cool option and I would love to see the metal cage or a cutaway mag just out of curiosity if anyone has a pic or seen one

anyways kudos to palm for bringing a US made AK mag to market in this political climate
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 12:27:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MattCFII] [#13]
Ok, yes I should have said that I'm planning on them being my first line mags when I get to personally function test them but there are people that have done very nasty things that I will never actually do to these mags..  Unless there is some manufacture defects in them, they seem to be the best design yet.

From Gabe Suarez:

"While much of the testing falls under the Non-Disclosure Agreement we signed, and knowing the industry as I do, I understand why, I can say the following.

We broke three rifles.  We heated up my RPK that it would not chamber anything through the smoke.  We bent a Polish underfolder receiver.  We broke a Saiga...I am not sure how, but it broke.  I think that happened when we dropped it of that big rock.

We broke three magazines.  One US Palm broke when we rammed it full force with a slant break bayonet style.  It still worked.  The Bulgarian circle ten did not survive the same test BTW. One magazine finally gave way after the equivalent of fifty baseball bat strikes onto the juncture of magazine and rifle.  I can say I am impressed....very impressed.

We fired 2500 rounds in about 20 minutes.  Think of one long, unending thunder roll and you have an idea of what the assembly line of loading, firing and loading sounded like.  

Hopefully, God willing and the creek don't rise, we will have some to ship very soon.  That quake you just felt?  That came from Sofia, Bulgaria...

...We had six guys shooting this gun with the US Palm magazines.  We heated up the semi auto so hot that it would not chamber anymore.  

This magazine seems to be tougher than the rifle it was intended to fit,...

...Suffice to say that we set out to see if we could treat some equipment so violently that it would be broken.  Not all of it was just US Plam magazines...lots was AK stuff by other makers and even some Combloc stuff.  Some things broke easily.  Too easy actually.  

Other things either took so much effort to break that it was ridiculous, and obvious that such abuse would not even be seen in the hands of the most ignorant tribesman guerilla.  One of these almost unbreakable items was the US Palm magazine.

That we broke two rifles is evidence of the level of what we were doing. And we did break some US Palm magazines....but we broke the other magazines out there as well....yes including several Bulgarian circle tens.  One difference was that even broken, the US palm still worked after a fashion, but not the bulgy.

I am impressed."

Link Posted: 2/6/2010 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#14]
interesting,I missed the review by gabe suarez.
im looking forward to checking these out
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 4:23:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hootbro] [#15]
So what the fuck are they waiting on?

There is a time when you kill the engineer's and go into production.

I have been diverting my hooker and blow money waiting on these mags.
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 4:31:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Tag
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 5:15:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I have been diverting my hooker and blow money waiting on these mags.

haven't we all
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#18]
U.S. Palm's Twitter page says that One Source Tactical will have then next week.
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 8:12:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Those interested can prebuy a couple and get the first ones shipped to test for themselves OR wait and read others personal evals.
Then you can either accept what you experience OR what others think.

Seems theres no need to take someone elses opinion personal or get the BP up over some new magazine.
Just buy & use whatever you like and be happy

Cheers,
Harv

P.S., Personally, I budgeted some circle 10 funds to prebuy 2 of the Palms.
Link Posted: 2/16/2010 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#21]
According to Gabe Suarez, the initial shipment has been received and the mags are boxed and ready to ship to customers.

Link Posted: 2/17/2010 4:38:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Is there any way to get the follower and spring out without destroying the magazine?
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 7:12:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By vandal:
Is there any way to get the follower and spring out without destroying the magazine?

Nope.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 12:08:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By SGCUSA:
http://sgcusa.com/images/US_PALM_AK30_Magazine.jpg

"That quake you just felt? That came from Sofia, Bulgaria." -Gabe Suarez

when are you guys getting them in stock? Im a member at SGC and would like to grab a couple of these.
You guys need more AK stuff by the way.. Oh and Im mad at one of your range guys who told me to stop shooting because he thought my ammo was not proper for the range.
It was full metal jacket (and not steel core) that is allowed on the range (same ammunition as the "range safe" fmj you sell) and the guy tapped me on my shoulder, looked at the ammo and said you cant shoot that here.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 4:05:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Got a couple of the AK30 mags last night.
Its gonna be awhile before I can go run them, but they defnitely look like a top quality product.

Id say unless circle 10's come down in price then these have a real good chance of cornering the market, other than for folks who want to stick with their favorite comm bloc metals (or low price poly mags ...why I dont know).

The incessant shilling by the one single reseller (currently) may annoy some folks, and there are a few design differences that might standout for people who want to nit pick something new, but if these perform well - thats all I care about

I guess time will tell

Cheers,
Harv
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 5:30:56 PM EDT
[#26]
WTB-US Palm AK30 mag

Want one of the first run of 300 ones. If anyone has one that they will sell for $40 PLUS postage let me know.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 2:23:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Excellent Review. THANK YOU!

Based on your review, To US PALM I apologize.
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Despite early reports by some, these ARE NOT as durable as the Bulgarian waffle mags.  Too bad, as I had high hopes for these.

Link Posted: 2/24/2010 2:17:45 PM EDT
[#30]
How did that happen??
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 3:18:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:
Despite early reports by some, these ARE NOT as durable as the Bulgarian waffle mags.  Too bad, as I had high hopes for these.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/TAPCO%20AK%20Magazine/DSCN0795.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/TAPCO%20AK%20Magazine/DSCN0797.jpg

Thank you for posting this.  I saw the company's reply in the other thread.  Your magazine photo has got to be damaging to the company and I'm sure others will post it in other forums.  I know one broken mag is nothing but I was on the fence about placing an order for a few until I saw your pictures.  I have a FEG AMD65 and was wanting to use something better than the US made tapco mags I have to use for compliance.  Your pictures show me that the feed lip material in the $30 Palm mags looks very similar to the $14 Tapco mags.   I guess the metal reinforcement is only in the front and rear of the mag.  Very disappointing.  David
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Truly a picture is worth a thousand words.

It seems what we have here is a $30 dollar Tapco.

Bulgys/steel surplus for me.

Thanks for the photo!
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 7:03:00 PM EDT
[#33]
I'd buy these mags..... if they were about $25 cheaper, thanks for that picture, and no thanks for those mags

Why doesn't anyone reinforce the damned feed lips????
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#34]
This thread has a response from US Palm:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=55&t=126305&sr=0
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 7:01:39 PM EDT
[#35]
ya, I retract my previous comment, I want to know exactly how these lips failed?
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 9:58:14 AM EDT
[#36]
U.S. Palm should really have changed their ad by now.

" The feed lips and locking surfaces are reinforced by a stainless steel cage that has been molded into the entire top of the magazine to further ensure reliability for years of trouble free service."
Link Posted: 3/12/2010 11:43:06 AM EDT
[#37]
SGC has them in stock! I might pick one up this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 1:19:43 PM EDT
[#38]
I guess I called it right..................all quotes off his forum

Gabe Suarez    08-16-2009
MERCENARY TEACHER, RUTHLESS INFIDEL, AND TRIBAL WARLORD   Join Date: Sep 2003

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
american Magazines For The Ak Are Crap And Made To Be Sold And To Make Money For The Seller.

there Are Few American Made Accessories For The Ak That Are Worth A Crap And I Have Yet To See A Magazine That Fills That Bill.

buy Combloc, Or Just Shoot An Ar-15

Gabe Suarez    
no ill-will, just stuff that doesn't work, needs to be pointed out.

~snip~Tapco magazines = $15.00
Steel Combloc magazines = $15-25

So what is the advantage to buying Tapco again??

The same could be said about US Palm mags if we use Gabe Suarez's own words.  $30.00 Palm mags without metal reinforced feedlips?

The AK hobbyist who puts M4 stuff all over his rifle will buy the Tapco stuff to be fashionable. Those folks are not my market. The others, won't buy a Tapco unless the existing stores of Combloc magazines are gone, or so costly as to be out of reach

Link Posted: 3/21/2010 10:54:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MattCFII] [#39]
More Suarez quotes since he has been using the AK30:

I once said that US mags for AKs were all trash.....well...those words seem not to apply anymore.  This one is a winner and although I can't imagine how it could be improved, an improved version would be even better.
The improved version is the final production ones, he got an original mag for testing that had no metal cage at all.

Well...the magazine is in my hands now after class.  It is scratched up, dusty and still has a handfull of AZ dirt in it.  It never missed a beat in AMD-65s, Suchkas, Yugo RPKs, and everything full auto we fired.  As well it worked in various student's guns even after staff instructor Jeff Lipa filled the thing with AZ gravel.  The only thing we didn't do to this was shoot it.  It is still humming along just fine.  I can't wait to see the final versions. See....a US company can in fact make a good AK magazine....whodathunkit???

Several months ago I was contacted by the folks at US Palm. They wanted to make the best AK magazine on earth, right here in the USA. I sort of laughed, and told them that every US made magazine to date, mentioning two very prominent US magazine makers by name, had been a disasters of crap-tastic proportions. I also told them that the Cadillac of the AK magazine world was the Bulgarian Circle Tens imported by Arsenal. If they wanted to make a US magazine they would need to do two things. Make sure it was not crap like the other US magazines, and make it better and less expensive than the Cadillac Bulgarian magazine. They said “No problem”. I laughed again and that was that. But about two months later, I received some magazines for beta testing. These magazines looked good. They looked tough. The staff immediately began playing caveman-break-magazine with them, but the magazines remained strong and unbroken. Interesting, I remember thinking. All other US magazines had never made it this far, shattering in the hands of my Paleolithic staff almost as soon as they came out of the shipping box. I inserted one into my EDC AK-47 and busted off ten AK pushups. It held up. It also held up in a Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting class we were teaching that weekend. Every student in the twenty man class tried to break it, going as far as running it over with my Jeep, but to no avail.
I reported this to my friends at US Palm and they replied that the beta magazines I had been given did not have the steel cage the finial products would have. Ooops. But the point is that even without the cage; apparently the plastic alone was strong enough. It would be about a month before I could test the production final samples with the internal improvements and steel cage at the feed lips and locking lugs. If a magazine can be perfect, I think this one just might be that...

...When we met again to test the final samples we set out to break them in testing. We abused the test rifles with on board magazine beyond what even a true caveman in the fourth world would consider doing with his rifle. The magazines held up. You know how tough and immune to abuse the AK system is. To put it in perspective, we broke two rifles. One heated up so bad it would not function any more. The other ended up with a bent receiver. But the magazines held up. One f my staff noted the AK30 was tougher than the rifle it was intended to fit. Quite right.

If you want the best there is for your Kalashnikov Combat system, as far as magazines go, this is it. It is stronger, more reliable, and easier to maintain than the Bulgarians. And at the price it is selling for currently, a far better bargain than the overpriced imports.

Made In The USA is no longer something to be afraid of when it comes to AK magazines…it is something to look for if they are the AK30 from US Palm.

Yes he is out to make money on the mags (and probably not originally until he personally tested them), I think he has staked his reputation on the magazines and honestly believes they are better.  IIRC, He never sold the Tapco or Promag mags and if he was out just to make money he would have done so.

Yes I'm disapointed that there isn't metal feedlip reinforcement as described by US Palm.  But I think the PMag has shown that a magazine can have polymer feedlips and do fine.

Just wanted to get the other side of what is happening in Suarez's own words on why he went back on himself.
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 1:11:15 PM EDT
[#40]
An endorsement by a convicted cheat means exactly what????
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 2:34:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mak] [#41]

Yes I'm disappointed that there isn't metal feed lip reinforcement as described by US Palm.  But I think the PMag has shown that a magazine can have polymer feed lips and do fine.

Just wanted to get the other side of what is happening in Suarez's own words on why he went back on himself.

In your Suarez quotes:

I reported this to my friends at US Palm and they replied that the beta magazines I had been given did not have the steel cage the final products would have.

People were led to believe the mags would have the steel reinforcement, Gabe Suarez was told the final product would have them.  The mags were sold and low and behold, the steel cage is not in the final product.

Suarez states the mags are:

easier to maintain than the Bulgarians.
????

Easier to maintain?  Why?  Because you can't take them apart to clean or replace a broken spring?  Oh, I get it, they are easier to maintain because if you have an issue with them you toss them.  At $30.00 + shipping cost that is going to add up.

For the price of 10 Palm mags you can buy 30 Com bloc steel mags.  I bought Bulgarian waffle mags with steel reinforced feed lips for $6.00 each in the past.  What exactly does US Palm mags have over my $6.00 Bulgarian waffle mags?

I've yet to see results of any controlled testing.  Throwing a mag at the ground proves nothing.

Still waiting for the answer to Melvin_Johnson's broken Palm mag that was returned.

Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:
Originally Posted By US-PALM:Posted: 2/24/2010 1:04:42 PM EDT
We certainly apologize for our product failing your drop test, and more importantly, your expectations. Please ensure that all the parts are included in your return shipment to One Source Tactical, as we are very eager to examine the nature and details of this failure. I can state unequivocally, that we have had HUNDREDS of tests performed on these magazines, and we have never had one do this.

I understand your desire to return to a product you have had previous success with. I would do the same. I would only ask that you remain open to our efforts in manufacturing high concept products. I will make sure that we follow up, in this thread, what our findings reveal. We do not wish to sweep anything under the rug, rather, be open and honest in our desire to produce and sell items into the civilian market.

Robert Anderson
Director US PALM

Posted: 3/27/2010 5:21:20 PM EDT
Mr. Anderson,

Have you had a chance to inspect the broken magazine?  If so, what have you been able to determine about why it might have broken.

Obviously, other's were under the belief the mags were going to be metal reinforced in the feedlip area.  It's been over a month since Melvin_Johnson returned his broken magazine.  What were the results?

Originally Posted By PoliticalScience:
Originally Posted By TnHawk-45:
Originally Posted By TnHawk-45:
I have been screwed by too many US AK mag makers.  You want to sell me one?  Saw ONE length wise and show it that so I can actually see the reinforcing stainless steel and then I will be impressed and will buy.

Well it has been a MONTH and still no reply from US PALM to my question and request.  Would still love to see a cross section showing the STEEL in it BEFORE I BUY!

They said the magazine is reinforced with a metal cage in the feedlip area.    This can be easily verified with a magnet, and if the're lying, it'll be all over the Internet right after the first batch goes out.  If you think they've spent tens of thousands of dollars on CAD design and fabricating an injection mold, and beginning production and marketing of the magazines - only to lie about whether or not is has steel in it, and in doing so, immediately ruin their reputation, their business, and their invested time and money, then you shouldn't buy any.  If they destroy a perfectly good magazine because some person on the Internet wants them to, that's their business.  Personally, I wouldn't if I were them, as there appears to be enough interest that they already have buyers at hand.

Link Posted: 4/7/2010 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#42]
The US Palm website is back up and while it says it will be updated shortly there is still a link with the incorrect information http://www.us-palm.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2:new-product-ak30

It would seem to the casual observer at this point it has moved beyond accidental misinformation on their site to flat out false advertising
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 4:33:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Raph84:
The US Palm website is back up and while it says it will be updated shortly there is still a link with the incorrect information http://www.us-palm.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2:new-product-ak30

It would seem to the casual observer at this point it has moved beyond accidental misinformation on their site to flat out false advertising

Well they have been out awhile now and I do not see the world clamoring for them.

Link Posted: 4/7/2010 9:01:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MattCFII] [#44]
Originally Posted By Mak:

Yes I'm disappointed that there isn't metal feed lip reinforcement as described by US Palm.  But I think the PMag has shown that a magazine can have polymer feed lips and do fine.

In your Suarez quotes:

I reported this to my friends at US Palm and they replied that the beta magazines I had been given did not have the steel cage the final products would have.

People were led to believe the mags would have the steel reinforcement, Gabe Suarez was told the final product would have them.  The mags were sold and low and behold, the steel cage is not in the final product.

Yes the steel cage is in the final, just not in the feed lips as originally described.  Yes, they should have done a better job making this known when these were first released.  They planned for metal lips and I too was expecting them since I preordered.  I do think though that PMags et al. prove that all polymer feedlips can be done so I am ok without them now and probably will be when I order more.   I DO NOT think that an AK mag can get away with polymer lugs.  AK30 does have metal lugs. I'm not a Youtube kinda guy but if you want me to do a video with a magnet test I will to show that there is a cage, it just doesn't go into the lips.

Suarez states the mags are:

easier to maintain than the Bulgarians.
????

Easier to maintain?  Why?  Because you can't take them apart to clean or replace a broken spring?  Oh, I get it, they are easier to maintain because if you have an issue with them you toss them.  At $30.00 + shipping cost that is going to add up.

For the price of 10 Palm mags you can buy 30 Com bloc steel mags.  I bought Bulgarian waffle mags with steel reinforced feed lips for $6.00 each in the past.  What exactly does US Palm mags have over my $6.00 Bulgarian waffle mags?

Because I cut that part out of maintenance due to space and not directly relating to the point of U.S,. made mags and ruggedness. It is pretty hard to beat Circle Tens for 6 bucks, and my Circle Tens still out number my AK30s in my SHTF gear (for now).  As I've said, I'm a believer in polymer mags so I will grab them first.  But I still have more Combloc steel than polymer overall since they have been more available over the last 16 years I've had an AK.  Getting back the to mag maintenance side, I have never replaced a spring in an AK mag, and probably never would and replace it like you say.  US Palm claims better spring life and corrosion resistant.  The side walls won't rust or dent, the spring has less chance to rust than normal ones.  Honestly, I never take off my floorplates of my AK mags expect for those rare occasions I'm inspecting a new-to-me older mag or need to clean it out after serious mud invasion.  I'm not one of those guys who takes them off each time to clean after a normal range session.  I actually think you are asking for more issues fiddling with them that much.

Suarez: The AK 30 has no removable floor plate. Traditionalists might scoff at this but this is both unnecessary with the AK30 internal design, as well as a strengthening feature. By eliminating the removable floor plate US Palm created a stronger design; a five-sided box. This revolutionary design, paired with advanced polymers gives the AK30 the strength it needs to survive impacts that in our testing have destroyed the Cadillac Bulgarian Circle Tens.

After the magazine is molded, the body and end-cap are bonded together at the molecular level, so no disassembly is possible or required. The AK30 has a unique low-friction semi-floating follower that is slotted to allow for easy magazine cleaning and hassle-free maintenance. In testing we buried the AK30 (and its competitor) top down in Arizona mud and gravel. After nothing more than a tapping on the rifle to release the big pieces, each magazine was tried in an SLR-107. The Bulgarian rifle liked the American magazine, but choked on the Circle Ten. Apparently the mud and gravel would not come out due to the traditional follower design in the Bulgarian magazine. The Tango Down/US Palm follower gave no issues in releasing the dirt, and the rounds. A much more reliable design.

To clean, just dunk the magazine in hot soapy water, rinse and invert to drain. Dry contamination easily flows free through the vented follower design. The AK30 also features a chromium-silicon spring that is heat treated, stress relieved and US Mil Spec corrosion resistant coated. Life expectancy for this spring is 100,000+ cycles.
Inside, there is a lot going on! The feed lips and locking surfaces are reinforced by a stainless steel cage that has been molded into the entire top of the magazine to further ensure reliability for years of trouble free service.

There's the same line of info on the metal in the feedlips too.  I don't fault Suarez on that, he got that info the same as the rest of us.  

I've yet to see results of any controlled testing.  Throwing a mag at the ground proves nothing.
 I don't agree it proves nothing, but I do highly agree that I would love to see the same controlled drop test videos that K-Var did with the Circle Ten on the AK30 .

Still waiting for the answer to Melvin_Johnson's broken Palm mag that was returned.
 I too would like to hear this.  US Palm hasn't been to responsive yet in some of my other questions on there new products but that may be due to they get lost in the crowd and still covered by NDAs.  But I would really like to see a statement as well, even if is a company line "one time defect" and you non-US Palm fanboys (I guess you can call me one ) won't believe, I still think something is appropriate at least directly to Melvin Johnson and preferably to the public too.  Despite what you feel about the AK30, I think most people would agree that their AK Chest Rig and plate carriers look interesting, especially the mag pouches.  I'm still on the fence about the cord retainers but I like the specific shape of the pouches and the wear strip on the back side of the pouch where the rear lug rubs/rips  (which I hear is a problem on modern Russian nylon gear, one reason I haven't ordered a Pioneer chest rig)

Uh, how exactly is it false advertising if they now say specifically
The advanced polymer construction eliminates the need for metal feeds lips. The locking surfaces are reinforced by a stainless steel cage that has been molded into the entire top of the magazine to further ensure reliability for years of trouble free service.

Link Posted: 4/7/2010 9:58:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mak] [#45]
The advanced polymer construction eliminates the need for metal feeds lips. The locking surfaces are reinforced by a stainless steel cage that has been molded into the entire top of the magazine to further ensure reliability for years of trouble free service.

As shown in Melvin_Johnson's pictures, the metal cage was not molded into the entire top of the magazine.

There may be metal at the front and back lugs, but that doesn't encompass the entire top of the magazine.

Bulgarian mags have an actual metal plate in the top of the mags, not some metal mesh.

The basic fact is they said it was just the prototypes that didn't have the metal.  The final product was then shipped with the metal still missing.  An oversight?  Or an attempt to sell something with false hype hoping no one would catch to fact that they weren't getting what was promised?

As PoliticalScience stated,  

"They said the magazine is reinforced with a metal cage in the feedlip area. This can be easily verified with a magnet, and if the're lying, it'll be all over the Internet right after the first batch goes out. If you think they've spent tens of thousands of dollars on CAD design and fabricating an injection mold, and beginning production and marketing of the magazines - only to lie about whether or not is has steel in it, and in doing so, immediately ruin their reputation, their business, and their invested time and money, then you shouldn't buy any. If they destroy a perfectly good magazine because some person on the Internet wants them to, that's their business. Personally, I wouldn't if I were them, as there appears to be enough interest that they already have buyers at hand."

Well, it appears that is exactly what they did.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#46]
From the U.S. Palm website "The locking surfaces are reinforced by a stainless steel cage that has been molded into the entire top of the magazine"
They use the plural for locking surfaces, but it is my understanding that the rear of the mag contains no metal. They also say there is a cage, which if were true it makes absolutely no sense (from an engineering and ruggedness standpoint) not to continue the metal up into the feedlips.

From what I've seen there is really only just a little tab of metal under the polymer of the front locking tab of the mag. If that is incorrect please let me know (as I only started reading this thread in hopes of buying a U.S. made polymer mag with all metal locking tabs).
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Mak:

As shown in Melvin_Johnson's pictures, the metal cage was not molded into the entire top of the magazine.

There may be metal at the front and back lugs, but that doesn't encompass the entire top of the magazine.

Bulgarian mags have an actual metal plate in the top of the mags, not some metal mesh.

The basic fact is they said it was just the prototypes that didn't have the metal.  The final product was then shipped with the metal still missing.  An oversight?  Or an attempt to sell something with false hype hoping no one would catch to fact that they weren't getting what was promised?

As PoliticalScience stated,  

"They said the magazine is reinforced with a metal cage in the feedlip area. This can be easily verified with a magnet, and if the're lying, it'll be all over the Internet right after the first batch goes out. If you think they've spent tens of thousands of dollars on CAD design and fabricating an injection mold, and beginning production and marketing of the magazines - only to lie about whether or not is has steel in it, and in doing so, immediately ruin their reputation, their business, and their invested time and money, then you shouldn't buy any. If they destroy a perfectly good magazine because some person on the Internet wants them to, that's their business. Personally, I wouldn't if I were them, as there appears to be enough interest that they already have buyers at hand."

Well, it appears that is exactly what they did.

From the U.S. Palm website "The locking surfaces are reinforced by a stainless steel cage that has been molded into the entire top of the magazine"
They use the plural for locking surfaces, but it is my understanding that the rear of the mag contains no metal. They also say there is a cage, which if were true it makes absolutely no sense (from an engineering and ruggedness standpoint) not to continue the metal up into the feedlips.

From what I've seen there is really only just a little tab of metal under the polymer of the front locking tab of the mag. If that is incorrect please let me know (as I only started reading this thread in hopes of buying a U.S. made polymer mag with all metal locking tabs).

It isn't a mesh, it is a piece steel that looks similar to what is in the Circle Tens.  It does drop down a lot from the front lug to the rear lug and not much goes into the feedlip area at all, but it does go all the way around the mag.  I guess they mean by entire top is the whole way around, not necessarily the all the way up into the feedlip area.  In my book, the oversight is the fact that the feedlips aren't as supported as they originally said they would be.  In your guys book you'll probably still not like that the cage doesn't go higher.  But again it goes all the way around and is not a mesh. I'm not an engineer but it would seem that in some ways the AK30's lugs could be stronger because it has a full circumference cage where the Circle Tens don't appear to.  The front lug in the Circle Ten are supported by the front metal strap, and looking at their diagram I can't really tell what the rear one is supported by any more metal, just the surrounding polymer.  They don't seem to have a full circumference support, which is what I think US PALM meant by "entire top."  
http://www.k-var.com/shop/downloads/mag_flyer.pdf

Here's my pictures:

Top of mag, you can see part of the steel in the holes and the metal lugs:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/Snake122/100_2854.jpg

Inside the mag shots to show the cage (sorry for the poor quality, they weren't easy shots to get:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/Snake122/100_2828.jpg
(I'll agree that around the back hole in this shot gets a little thin in the metal, but it is thicker than it seems due to the polymer line over it.)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/Snake122/100_2845.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/Snake122/100_2848.jpg

Here's the first shot with the approximate location of where the steel cage drops down front the front lug back to the rear lug.  It looks like they were just trying to connect the lugs and keep the metal out of the feedlips.  I wonder if the production change was just to pull the metal feedlip support because there was a mention at one point of them making the mag feed smoother and this might have been it.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/Snake122/100_2854-1.jpg
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Metal feedlips.  As long as those metal feedlip are in place the mag will usually still feed.

Link Posted: 4/11/2010 8:54:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheWarhammer] [#49]
I find it hilarious that, once exposed as having lied (yes, they clearly lied) about the construction of their mags, any posting by an actual representative of US Palm has been non-existant. I feel that says a lot about this company.

Let's see, so far US Palm:
1. publicizes false information about their product
2. remains conspicuously silent when asked to show proof the mag's construction
3. doesn't own up/explain when caught lying (sorry, but "it was a typo" is complete and utter BS)
4. doesn't print a clear retraction/correction of the false information, in fact, drag their feet in even removing it from their website
5. doesn't follow up on their "research" onto the "defective" mag that Melvin_Johnson sent back to them
6. lets their fanboys defend them rather than manning up and confronting a problem of their own creation
7. slinks away from the thread they started, tail between their legs, apparently hoping the topic will just die on its own

Uuuummm, yeeeaahh... I'm on board to spend my hard earned money with such an honorable and forthright vendor.
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 9:37:16 AM EDT
[#50]
I still do not understand how either this mag or the circle 10 polymer (which I got a few of from Chief Thunder back in the day) are as good as, let alone better than, com block steel.  

I am not talking about polymer mags in general, p mags v USGI aluminum, etc.  I am talking specifically about US Palms and poly circle 10s v Com block steel.  
Page / 3
Page AK-47 » New AK Products
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top