AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 8
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Range report! Love the folder!

Show it folded!

Going to try and get out and shoot it tomorrow night. I want some night shots.

http://timandevemcbride.com/images/work/folded_mini.JPG

Ha e to admit, I wasn't digging the Mini until your SBR..
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 6:44:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, the wife is wanting a new gun, an I phone, and an embroidery machine.
Id say its only fair I get a new toy as well.
I was really looking at the standard Draco's but this!
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 2:08:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Well here is my review for the MIni's first range trip.

I use a Tula Bakelite mag and almost ever other round the bolt would get hung up on the inside of the magazine, so the bolt would not cycle all the way.

I then used a Chinese 75rnd drum and I basically had the same problem. Every few rounds the bolt face would hit the rear of the cartridge and somewhere the bolt is getting hung up on the rear of the mag when trying to cycle. I am hoping this is a mag related problem.

I am headed up again soon to try out a few different Euro 30 rounders, If I cannot get it to functions with these mags then this rifle is headed back.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#4]
MY first outing with my mini draco with the barrel nut still on it, well first my mini came without a detent pin , i had to put a new one in myself, also the wood stock is pretty rough, and the hole is not lined up for the front screw but i can sand it  down to line it up. Back to the firing of the gun, before i shot mine i cycled it back and forth , for awhile and oiled the inside of the gun, i used 20 and 30 round pro mags the plastic ones ans it fired everything round i put close to 80 rounds through it slow and fast, two hand and one hand, it never failed to fire or hang up, the recoil is not bad at all, didn't fire it much over 25 yards it was getting dark, but could put all inside a paper plate, really love the gun and will add a tapco slot brake and a ati grip and one point sling and refinish the wood, all in all i believe it is a good gun, lots of fun. I did try to ia 5 round metal clip and i couldn't get it to fit in the gun.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 9:02:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
http://timandevemcbride.com/images/work/mini_draco_sbr.jpg
http://timandevemcbride.com/images/work/YHM_Mini_Draco.jpg

SBR Done

- Modified Midwest Industries 4 Rail system
- Houge Grip
- YHM Phantom Flash Hider / Slant Brake (Can't Decide Which I like Better)
- ACE AR Folding Stock Adapter
- Magpul MOE Stock
- SIG Sauer Red Dot

Would you mind telling us what mods you did to the rail?
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 9:06:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://timandevemcbride.com/images/work/mini_draco_sbr.jpg

Would you mind telling us what mods you did to the rail?

Moved the bottom mounting block two holes in
Notched the front of the top rail to fit around the front sight. Cut out  a section of rail at the back to fit around the RSB

Link Posted: 5/20/2011 9:31:32 PM EDT
[#7]
The sight radius of the Mini Draco is approximately six inches in the factory configuration. Additionally, the front sight post on mine entirely filled the rear sight notch, so I began to consider modification and/or replacement options. I considered installing a rear peep sight to simply replace the factory rear sight, but the radius would still be rather short and I think I found a better option.

Tonight I installed the Texas Weapon Systems Dogleg Scope Rail, Gen-2 with peep sight. If you aren't familiar with the product, its a complete replacement for the factory AK dust cover that integrates a 1913 rail and opens via hinge to allow any mounted optics to stay zeroed. J&G has them in stock right now for $169. I am very happy with the improved sight radius, it is approximately thirteen inches now. The quality, fit & appearance of the aluminum TWS railed dust cover has exceeded my expectations so far.

As you saw on page six of this thread I had already modified my Mini Draco to a left-side charging handle system, so I had to modify the TWS railed dust cover as well.

Here are some new pics:

The new rail includes a replacement rear spring guide rod. It has a u-shaped piece pinned on that interferes with the Mini Draco's unique hard rubber buffer/bolt carrier stop. I used a nail to drive the pin out and then installed it:

I will be testing it out this weekend to see how everything functions.

Link Posted: 5/21/2011 1:03:30 AM EDT
[#8]
way to go obsoleteman that  mini tactical pistol looks awesome, great work man
Link Posted: 5/21/2011 8:15:13 AM EDT
[#9]
That's EXACTLY what I had planned with the TWS top cover (minus the left side charging handle).

Please let us know if it runs okay with the TWS cover.  My only concern is that the buffer block may somehow be an interference/alignment problem with the TWS cover. From what I'm understanding you did.....you removed the U shaped piece that TWS provided for the recoil spring guide rod assembly so the mini's buffer block would clear.  Is that right?

Isn't that U shaped piece critical to maintaining zero and cover alignment on the TWS system?

BTW, MORE PICS!!!! (preferably a straight on side shot ) Great looking gun you have there.

Sean
Link Posted: 5/21/2011 8:50:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That's EXACTLY what I had planned with the TWS top cover (minus the left side charging handle).

Please let us know if it runs okay with the TWS cover. I'm hoping to try it out in the next day or two. My only concern is that the buffer block may somehow be an interference/alignment problem with the TWS cover. From what I'm understanding you did.....you removed the U shaped piece that TWS provided for the recoil spring guide rod assembly so the mini's buffer block would clear.  Is that right? Yes, the hard rubber buffer block/bolt carrier stop takes up the same space as that u-shaped piece, so the u-shaped piece had to go.

Isn't that U shaped piece critical to maintaining zero and cover alignment on the TWS system? I can't answer that, the TWS website pics of the spring guide rod didn't have the u-shaped piece, so it must be a new upgrade for some reason, but the cover seems to return and align properly. Time will tell.

BTW, MORE PICS!!!! (preferably a straight on side shot ) Great looking gun you have there.

Thanks to everyone for the compliments. I only have my iPhone but I'll try to get some clearer/better pics to post.  

Sean

Link Posted: 5/21/2011 9:24:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please let us know if it runs okay with the TWS cover. I'm hoping to try it out in the next day or two. My only concern is that the buffer block may somehow be an interference/alignment problem with the TWS cover. From what I'm understanding you did.....you removed the U shaped piece that TWS provided for the recoil spring guide rod assembly so the mini's buffer block would clear.  Is that right? Yes, the hard rubber buffer block/bolt carrier stop takes up the same space as that u-shaped piece, so the u-shaped piece had to go.

Isn't that U shaped piece critical to maintaining zero and cover alignment on the TWS system? I can't answer that, the TWS website pics of the spring guide rod didn't have the u-shaped piece, so it must be a new upgrade for some reason, but the cover seems to return and align properly. Time will tell.

Thanks to everyone for the compliments. I only have my iPhone but I'll try to get some clearer/better pics to post.  

Sean

Thanks for the answers....please keep us up to date on your progress.  Looks awesome. :)
Link Posted: 5/21/2011 7:40:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The sight radius of the Mini Draco is approximately six inches in the factory configuration. Additionally, the front sight post on mine entirely filled the rear sight notch, so I began to consider modification and/or replacement options. I considered installing a rear peep sight to simply replace the factory rear sight, but the radius would still be rather short and I think I found a better option.

Tonight I installed the Texas Weapon Systems Dogleg Scope Rail, Gen-2 with peep sight. If you aren't familiar with the product, its a complete replacement for the factory AK dust cover that integrates a 1913 rail and opens via hinge to allow any mounted optics to stay zeroed. J&G has them in stock right now for $169. I am very happy with the improved sight radius, it is approximately thirteen inches now. The quality, fit & appearance of the aluminum TWS railed dust cover has exceeded my expectations so far.

As you saw on page six of this thread I had already modified my Mini Draco to a left-side charging handle system, so I had to modify the TWS railed dust cover as well.

Here are some new pics:

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m620/Xksld/photo-12.jpg

I will be testing it out this weekend to see how everything functions.

honestly  that cap on the charging handle should be red, to catch ur eye thats what i would put on
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 3:02:17 AM EDT
[#13]
got to shoot 50 yards using brown bear 123 gr fmjs, considering the mini has only a 7.5" barrel i think i shoots pretty good. the target i traced a paper plate, and poa is at 6 oclock, 10 shots.   my sight adjustment tool broke trying to adjust for windage.  heres some pics
all shot sitting with a front bag

kinda trimmed down the handguard a lil bit today, so still a little rough

Link Posted: 5/22/2011 5:41:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
got to shoot 50 yards using brown bear 123 gr fmjs, considering the mini has only a 7.5" barrel i think i shoots pretty good. the target i traced a paper plate, and poa is at 6 oclock, 10 shots.   my sight adjustment tool broke trying to adjust for windage.  heres some pics
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/kadiindo/001-1.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/kadiindo/001-2.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/kadiindo/013-2.jpg

I am assuming you mean elevation not windage?
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 7:49:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The front presses left and right for windage, if its frozen the tools get screwed up then mushroom the area is presses on
I try to buy a new press each time I get a new ak since they are cheap
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 12:31:56 PM EDT
[#17]
AKcomrade, yours looks great, good job on the rail!
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Man, just when I thought I was all set to get a regular Draco..

Is that the UTG rail as well?
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 12:59:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

no, windage.  my elevation adj. still works.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2011 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#20]
UTG Yugo rail with a rectangle cut out the top and some work where it butts up to the trunion. Several hours of work with a Dremil, File and Jewlers saw.

UTG Yugo 69.00 from Cheaper than Dirt. Delivered in 4 days.
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I made another trip to the range after having mag problems the first time up using a Bakelite mag and a drum mag.

This time I used a Chinese 5rnd, Euro 30rnd and Euro 40rnd mag. All of them functioned flawlessly and I had zero issues in 150rnd down range.

The only problem I noticed at this point is the hand guard screw wants to keep coming loose. I will try some blue loctite to get it to stay put.
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 6:58:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Have had mine out three time week ago Sat., Sin and yesterday. I had ran with no problem so far and is a crowd pleaser.

It was shooting low and to the left adjusted the sights and at 25 yds was shooting roughtly 3". Then when sighted in was shooting at 80 yds at different things and was hitting OK off the bench and 30 mph wind.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 12:00:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Got out & test fired it a bit today, around 100 rounds or so.
It had a few (8-10) failures to feed, (round not stripped out of magazine & one incomplete feed into the chamber).
It's possible that the magazines were the culprit.
(In hindsight I'm almost certain that I was absorbing the recoil, thereby causing it to shortstroke.)
Mags used: European steel, ribbed & Chinese steel, unribbed.
Ammunition used: Ulyanovsk white box, 122 gr. FMJ.
I didn't bring any targets so I'll check the accuracy more seriously later, most likely after it's SBR'd.
The TWS rail had zero issues, other than slicing my left hand a bit when I charged the bolt.
I'm going to add a rail ladder to it, should be fine then.
The pics show that it throws a decent fireball, (factory muzzle nut only).
Regular foam earplugs were sufficient.

(Edit: added the note in red)
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I want one!!  
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 1:12:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Man, I want one.....but 8-10 failures in 100 rounds is unacceptable if it isn't a mag problem.

The good news is that FTFeed are usually mag related although if it's short stroking and not allowing the carrier to go back far enough to pick up the next round....then it could be the gun or even underpowered ammo.

How far is it ejecting your spent casings (if you don't mind me asking)?

Sean
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 1:28:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Sean, it could also be that I was "limpwristing" because honestly, it's not the most manageble firearm, either one or two-handed.
I was a bit dissappointed, but am hopeful as I suspect magazines and a bit of operator error (Oh wait, that's me?!?!), both of which are remedied rather simply.
Attaching a stock & the right muzzle device to this bad boy will make a world of difference.

ETA: It ejects to about 10 feet or so, whatever a standard AK ejection distance is. I didn't notice anything unusual with ejection.

(edit)
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 3:13:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Sean, it could also be that I was "limpwristing" because honestly, it's not the most manageble firearm, either one or two-handed.
I was a bit dissappointed, but am hopeful as I suspect magazines and a bit of operator error (Oh wait, that's me?!?!), both of which are remedied rather simply.
Attaching a stock & the right muzzle device to this bad boy will make a world of difference.

ETA: It ejects to about 10 feet or so, whatever a standard AK ejection distance is, I suspect. I didn't notice anything unusual with ejection.

It varies from gun to gun....but 15'+ is normal.  I hope you get it sorted quickly.....like I said, I'm right behind on the purchase decision curve.

Thanks for the info.

Sean
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#28]
I just got back from the range and this thing is my new favorite gun. I was shooting Wolf Military Classic 124 gr HP ammo.  I shot 160 rounds with zero malfunctions using surplus european steel mags.

I was shooting using a single point sling and pressing forward to create sling tension for stability.  After a little practice I was able to keep 30 rounds in about a fist sized group at 15 yards.  I was standing and shooting at a rate of around two rounds per second, using the iron sights.  I don't do any better with my 16 inch AR rifle and Aimpoint so I'm pretty happy.
I didn't put it on a bench or really focus on accuracy, but the results I got were more than satisfactory for this type of firearm as far as I'm concerned.

I will need to do something about the handguard if I continue to use that technique.  The handguard is a little bit too smooth and I'm a little concerned that my support hand could slide in front of the muzzle.  I'm kind of wondering if a Mini Galil handguard could be made to fit.

One thing I noticed when I got the gun is that it was really coated in cosmoline with several big gobs in some areas.  I suspect some people might be experiencing malfunctions if chunks of cosmo are finding their way into the moving parts of the gun.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 3:36:54 PM EDT
[#29]
waiting for j and g...sent back the first for a left harsh cant...
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 4:27:33 PM EDT
[#30]
This is my thought since the other guy had the same problems I did when I made my first trip to the range.

When holding it up and looking down the sights your body is absorbing a lot of the recoil the pistol is producing. I noticed I would get the FTF's and sometimes a round would not chamber when holding the rifle in this position.

I moved to holding the rifle at the hip and putting around 100 rounds through it this way. I had zero failures when holding it like this.

I then moved back to holding it up and looking down the sights again, this time around I did not have any failures in about 75 rounds.

I think it can be a little mag picky since it really did not like my Tula Bakelites or Chinese Drum. But, on the flip side I know some folks talk about AK's needing a break in period which I have not experienced with any AK I have ever owned. I can say this time around I think the Mini really did need a break in while using 5rnd/30rnd/40rnd mags and a little lube after being thoroughly cleaned. Made all the difference and now it functions no matter how you use it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 5:27:14 PM EDT
[#31]
MJL, you could refinish the forend with spray on truck bedliner. You can vary the texture by varying the distance from the nozzle to the wood. Hold it further away for a grippier texture. 3 to 5 light coats should do the job. I've finished rifle stocks with it and let it cure for about a week. It's tough as hell once it's cured, and provides excellent traction. It would go great with a black plastic PG.
Once it's cured, it looks like a black fiberglass stock or a black synthetic stock with the weight of wood. I used it on one of my small game springers and I can't seem to damage it, no matter how rough I am on it.
I'm thinking about using this method on my Draco forend. It'll go better with the black Tapco SAW grip and it'll be durable, impervious to water and chemicals, and easier to hold.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#32]
it looks like J&G already ran out of them. Very popular gun!
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 7:52:27 PM EDT
[#33]
dang, no kidding backordered already.  sold out before the regular draco, i would surely pick up a mini-draco in .223 if they ever decide to build one.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 9:05:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Has anyone actually measured their Mini Draco's bbl with a cleaning rod against the bolt face?

Just wondering if it's really 7.5" or 7.75".  I've seen both listed.....but a lot of places list the regular Draco as a 12.5" bbl and mine's a 11.5".

Just wondering what the actual length really is. Any of you lucky Mini owners wanna check for me??

Thanks.

Sean
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:21:57 PM EDT
[#35]
I just checked mine and can confirm that the barrel is 7.75", NOT 7.5".
I measured from closed boltface to edge of barrel tip using a chopstick, lol.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 7:16:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I just checked mine and can confirm that the barrel is 7.75", NOT 7.5".
I measured from closed boltface to edge of barrel tip using a chopstick, lol.

Do you still have the muzzle nut welded on?  That may be where they get the extra 1/4" of length.....

Thanks for check....I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#37]
I got my Mini last night. Here is a pic with my Non- C and C. I am trying to decide between muzzle nut, vortex type 3 prong, or slant brake. Let me know what you think.

I just measured my barrel with the patented chop stick method and it is exactly 7.5". I opened the bolt to check that I was at the end of the chamber.  If you try to measure with bolt forward, it will pass the end of the barrel to the bolt face and will give you almost an extra 1/4". Try that method and carefully open the bolt and you will see you are past the barrel..

Link Posted: 5/25/2011 4:12:25 PM EDT
[#38]
the three prong looks the best IMO.  what is the thread twist?  a tromix shark brake would like evil on there

i like the cut outs here too

Link Posted: 5/25/2011 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I got my Mini last night. Here is a pic with my Non- C and C. I am trying to decide between muzzle nut, vortex type 3 prong, or slant brake. Let me know what you think.

I just measured my barrel with the patented chop stick method and it is exactly 7.5". I opened the bolt to check that I was at the end of the chamber.  If you try to measure with bolt forward, it will pass the end of the barrel to the bolt face and will give you almost an extra 1/4". Try that method and carefully open the bolt and you will see you are past the barrel..

The way ATF measures is from bolt face to crown....so it would be 7.75" long.

JFYI,
Sean
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 1:29:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

JFYI,
Sean

THIS.
Dferg, your post makes my head hurt.
From what I understand there's one way to measure it correctly and Sean has just described it.

Link Posted: 5/26/2011 3:25:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

JFYI,
Sean

THIS.
Dferg, your post makes my head hurt.
From what I understand there's one way to measure it correctly and Sean has just described it.

I am not trying to make anybody's head hurt or debate how ATF measures. I was trying to explain what you and Sean were discussing: there seems to be conflicting reports of the Mini's barrel length @ 7.5" vs 7.75". The actual length of the barrel is 7.5". If you do your chopstick measurement that gave you the 7.75" measurement again, hold the chopstick in place at the muzzle, pull the bolt carrier back and you will see the chopstick is past the barrel .25" inside the receiver. Take two aspirin and try it out and tell me if I am wrong. If you removed the barrel from the weapon, put it on the bench and measured it alone, you would get 7.5". If per ATF regs the barrel is deemed 7.75" when installed due to the way they measure that doesn't alter the actual length. When I form 1 this thing for SBR, I will put 7.75", but I know the truth is...
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 5:34:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
the three prong looks the best IMO.  what is the thread twist?  a tromix shark brake would like evil on there

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r226/kwikrnu/dracominishroudcutout.jpg

Is the screw holding the front sling mount in place the same one that comes with it as a package?

Or ,did you have to buy a different screw to put in there before mounting the front sling mount?

I want to do the same mount but wanna know which screw you used to thread into the front sight base to hold the hand guard in place.
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 5:45:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r226/kwikrnu/dracominishroudcutout.jpg

Is the screw holding the front sling mount in place the same one that comes with it as a package?

Or ,did you have to buy a different screw to put in there before mounting the front sling mount?

I want to do the same mount but wanna know which screw you used to thread into the front sight base to hold the hand guard in place.

Speaking of that screw- this may have been asked before, but I couldn't find it: It seems like it could easily back off during firing. I may try and find a small lock washer...

Link Posted: 5/26/2011 6:15:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Seems like the ace hardware, or Elliott's hardware should have a knurled hand tight bolt available. It can double a a hand stop. Perhaps a large hex bolt screw head can be drilled and a sling ring welded to it.

So much to contemplate....
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 6:19:11 AM EDT
[#45]
The old tri tip flash hider looks sexy! I like it, but if this is like my champion it will be needing a slant break to help it mind it's manners.

And I like the tapco saw grip. I got one off the EE yesterday for mine..... Can't wait till June 15 payday! Layaway paid off!
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 8:18:01 AM EDT
[#46]
What thread is the front handguard screw?

Also, how would a strap be as a hand stop?  I am referring to the strap that Mossberg has on some of their forends. Just the nylon webbing loop.  Though maybe, instead of being attached front and back, it could be a loop that is only attached at the rear, to aid in the forward pressure on the sling.

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 8:44:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What thread is the front handguard screw?

Also, how would a strap be as a hand stop?  I am referring to the strap that Mossberg has on some of their forends. Just the nylon webbing loop.  Though maybe, instead of being attached front and back, it could be a loop that is only attached at the rear, to aid in the forward pressure on the sling.

Just a thought.

Will it pass a jury smell test as a "sling"  otherwise it could be considered a forward grip.

Play the safe game and just go with a front and rear attached sling.

AOW prosecution is rare, but it can cost you everything.
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#48]
When I test fired my mini a couple days ago the recoil from firing caused my quadrail to travel forward approx 3/16". It stopped when it was hard up against the rear of the front sight. The quadrail uses four screws, but only the two rear screws are cinching the quadrail to the gastube & barrel.

Modification: (This mod did NOT turn out to be a viable solution to the recoil travel problem for the mini draco modified UTG brand rail)
Drill a centered 5/32" hole in the number "2" slot on the underside rail, then dremel away material where the screw head will be. Apply Aluminum Black as needed. Then apply blue loctite to the original handguard screw and mount it through the hole to it's original threaded hole in the weapon.

My second mod today was putting a quick soldering iron stipple job on the factory grip to improve the texture & decrease slippage.  

(edited)
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 2:17:02 PM EDT
[#49]

you do realize we need more pictures of this right?  
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#50]
I have pics on pg 6 & I think pg 9 as well.
Thanks!
Page / 8
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top