Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 8
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 12:07:31 PM EDT
[#1]
FAL handguards are longer than the barrel past the reciever. Might work on a Non mini. Lots of modification tho.

.... And epoxy putty.
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Ji finally got some alone time with it. Pics soon. At 50 yards it was throwing some tight three shot groups. Smallest 2 inches. Pushing the front sight around is tricky. I had to realize the magnifying effects of a short bore axis. A little means alot down range. I over corrected twice while  zeroing.. All rounds were kept on the paper, even standing w tight sling.

Indoor range requires copper jackets so I was shootiing privy.

The first group high, then the correction.

Now it on...

Time to play at standing holds and sift pictures.

Good and bad results.... I'll make a better attempt at nice patterns outdoors in a week or so.

Lost the rear sight in dim lighting and put some high and some left.

It will deliver benched.... So now I have to train me to steady it. Next pics at 100. Kneeling.

Here was my main focus...

Well here goes flame away.
His 25 yard targets.

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 9:36:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 10:40:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice.  Very simple solution.  Good work! :)
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 4:03:34 AM EDT
[#5]
All Happy inside.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 5:37:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Plus a form 1 for the AOW build- right?
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 6:31:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Dude. Not cool. Get some bipods like the rest of us.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 7:57:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Woop.. Nothing to see here..
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 8:52:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Funny how it's only a $5 stamp, but a 5-10 year prison sentence for not having it.
Personally I prefer the Magpul AFG, which ATF states is OK for use on pistols. I have no use for a huge bipod or even vertical grip, on something that is supposed to be SMALL!
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 10:27:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Funny how it's only a $5 stamp, but a 5-10 year prison sentence for not having it.

No, it's still a $200 stamp if you want to make an AOW.  The $5 stamp is only for transferring existing AOW's.  (Like if you bought a Serbu Super Shorty, it's only a $5 tax stamp)
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 3:11:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Derailed1973, in case you're unaware, what these guys are telling you is that you're not allowed to have a vertical front grip on a handgun in the US unless you go through the BATFE process of registering it as an AOW- an "Any Other Weapon".
If you haven't done that, and I'm guessing you haven't since these have been available less than 3 months and a Form 1 usually takes longer than that for approval, what you're showing pictures of is felonious contraband. You might want to take that front grip off and take new pics..
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 9:21:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I am aware of the law, that grip belongs on my other rifle only added for pic and was removed. Did not really like the look and feel so I ordered a magpul AFG.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 10:49:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Construction "just for a pic" is still construction. You both admitted and with the pic PROVED you comitted a felony. Smart much?

Have fun and be safe.
Nightshade2x
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#15]
derailed....dude...edit your posts.  And take DOWN that photo......

I'm telling you this for your own good.

Sean
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 11:58:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Keep moving.. Nothing to see..
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 4:10:15 PM EDT
[#17]
ObsoleteMan:

If you cut the top rail down just enough to get a tight fit "behind" the front sight..........would that hold the handguard in place without fore and aft movement? I have the tools to do that but not form the T-bracket you fabricated. Also, exactly which handguard did you use? There are many on the market and I have seen two or three modified ones used on the Mini's but nobody has posted exactly which model they used. I also wonder if the Bart Brake would help to hold the handguard in place.

MadDog
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
ObsoleteMan:

If you cut the top rail down just enough to get a tight fit "behind" the front sight..........would that hold the handguard in place without fore and aft movement? I have the tools to do that but not form the T-bracket you fabricated. Also, exactly which handguard did you use? There are many on the market and I have seen two or three modified ones used on the Mini's but nobody has posted exactly which model they used. I also wonder if the Bart Brake would help to hold the handguard in place.

MadDog

He is using a UTG rail. The other rail you have seen is the Midwest Industries AK universal quad rail.

Link Posted: 7/7/2011 5:59:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
ObsoleteMan:

If you cut the top rail down just enough to get a tight fit "behind" the front sight..........would that hold the handguard in place without fore and aft movement?(Probably, I had already cut mine though, purposely leaving a "male" picatinny section at the forward end. You'll have to try it and see if leaving the top rail slightly longer prevents forward movement. Note: there is a radius on the rear face of the fsp where my top rail would contact upon forward movement, so I think that using that face of the fsp as a hard contact point might have issues due to that radius.)

Also, exactly which handguard did you use? There are many on the market and I have seen two or three modified ones used on the Mini's but nobody has posted exactly which model they used. (It's a UTG brand AK quadrail, I don't have the box in front of me so I can't give you a more specific answer, such as model number)

MadDog(edited)

Link Posted: 7/7/2011 7:25:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Wow, and I thought this thread was "derailed" with the rockcrawler pictures!
Hopefully you guys will edit all that stuff out of this thread?

Deleted my thread drift.  My apologies....didn't mean to offend you.

Sean

Link Posted: 7/8/2011 6:12:07 AM EDT
[#21]
The rail I used was a UTG. I cut the top rail to fit, took off approximately 1 1/4 from the front facing the sights not counting the overhang.  http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy165/liquidtrip420/ger.jpg
This will require you to drill new holes for mounting to the lower part of the handguard. The lower handguard was cut approximately 1 5/8 from the rear closest to the reciever, new holes need to be drilled also so it will fit to the upper. (Sorry no pic) I would double check the measurements to make sure they will work and remember measure twice and cut once. Inside the lower handgaurd closest to the reciever the u shaped mount will need to be shaved to seat around the barrel properly. Once you start fitting the pieces together it will make more sense. I have absolutely no movement in the handguard and it is a very tight fit.
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy165/liquidtrip420/gun.jpg
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 6:32:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The rail I used was a UTG. I cut the top rail to fit, took off approximately 1 1/4 from the front facing the sights not counting the overhang.  http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy165/liquidtrip420/ger.jpg
This will require you to drill new holes for mounting to the lower part of the handguard. The lower handguard was cut approximately 1 5/8 from the rear closest to the reciever, new holes need to be drilled also so it will fit to the upper. (Sorry no pic) I would double check the measurements to make sure they will work and remember measure twice and cut once. Inside the lower handgaurd closest to the reciever the u shaped mount will need to be shaved to seat around the barrel properly. Once you start fitting the pieces together it will make more sense. I have absolutely no movement in the handguard and it is a very tight fit.
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy165/liquidtrip420/gun.jpg

Have you taken it to the range? Does it stay put when firing?
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 5:46:17 PM EDT
[#23]
derailed1973:

Do you happen to know which UTG handguard you have?  All of the retailers that have them carry 4 or 5 different models.  If you don't know the model then what firearms does it fit?  If I know what it fits then I can figure it out from there.

MadDog
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 3:09:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Yes have taken to the range and no issues with the handgaurd. It is the same fit as if this was a full size ak....just modified and a little smaller. It is a UTG PRO Made in USA Model AK 47 Universal Tactical Quad Rail System MNT-T479S
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 12:17:08 PM EDT
[#25]
I installed a MI quad rail today. I am impressed with the quality of the  MI rail. i may even get another for my Draco C. I will change the PG to black and mail out the SBR paperwork- hopefully next week- so I can add a VFG and a folding stock when my stamp comes. I will take it to the range tomorrow to see how the rail holds in place. Will also order a KAC finger stop.

Link Posted: 7/9/2011 12:25:11 PM EDT
[#26]
How much work was it to get the Midwest rail on?
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How much work was it to get the Midwest rail on?

Not much at all. I used a dremel with a metal cutting disk and it didn't take long- 45 min total . I tried to keep it snug by the FSB, so it took a few tries before it was wide enough. Like an idiot I didn't use a vise, so that made it take a bit longer.

Link Posted: 7/9/2011 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Looks pretty good.. How is the sight picture? Is the front post still visible enough to use?
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 1:17:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Looks pretty good.. How is the sight picture? Is the front post still visible enough to use?

Yes- no problem at all. The top piece has a groove down the middle. The post is completely clear.
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#30]
There were a few of these at the Fort Worth gun show. Same guy that had 3 in Dallas a couple weeks ago had one with a really bad crooked front sight for $500; no thanks.

Another vendor had a couple and the first one I grabbed had a straight front sight and the action cycles pretty smoothly, priced at $429 so I bought it. $465 with tax.

It seems the screw that holds on the handguard is stripped though. It will spin easily, in either direction, but isn't coming out.

I need to get the form 1 filled out and mailed ASAP.
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#31]
The Minis are back in stock at J&G.
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 10:27:53 PM EDT
[#32]
1) Sean, I hope I didn't offend you, I like this thread because it's got a lot of technical info, so I appreciate your reply.

2) Dferg, your MI rail setup looks good.
I like how it extends to the muzzle like my UTG.
If it's not too much hassle, could you post a pic of the front view?
Specifically, is there clearance around the threads enough to add a muzzle device?
It's going to be a tight fit to install a compensator/flash hider (FSC47?) on mine, because I'm guessing it will have a larger outside diameter than the barrel nut.
(edit: nevermind, I've seen your other thread about muzzle brakes now.)

3) I received this email & thought I'd answer it here in case others have the same questions:
Q: "I came across your post with the rail that you modded and had a couple questions. How solid is the mount? Is it solid enough to keep an optic zero'd?"
A: The quadrail has had movement issues, hopefully the "T" bracket (haven't tested it yet) will prevent movement, I don't plan to mount an optic to it.
I may add a Docter style red dot on the TWS dustcover rail (pics on pg 9), it's solid and should return to zero.  
A stubby foregrip and handstop will get mounted to the quadrail when my SBR stamp arrives.

4) As TREETOP stated, J&G has Mini's back in stock, $399+tax or $399+shipping/ffl trans fee
J&G also has the regular Draco's back in stock, $379+tax or $379+shipping/ffl trans fee
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#33]
No offense taken....just wanted to get the thread back on track. :)

Sean
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#34]
For those wondering which model UTG rail I used...
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 1:01:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Some reason this does not look right to me...it is almost looks like part of the front of the pistol is missing. I know each handguard is different but how is the stability? And can you fit a muzzle break or flash hider on the end of the barrel?

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy165/liquidtrip420/66466ff8.jpg
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 1:14:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
1) Sean, I hope I didn't offend you, I like this thread because it's got a lot of technical info, so I appreciate your reply.

2) Dferg, your MI rail setup looks good.
I like how it extends to the muzzle like my UTG.
If it's not too much hassle, could you post a pic of the front view?
Specifically, is there clearance around the threads enough to add a muzzle device?
It's going to be a tight fit to install a compensator/flash hider (FSC47?) on mine, because I'm guessing it will have a larger outside diameter than the barrel nut.
(edit: nevermind, I've seen your other thread about muzzle brakes now.)

3) I received this email & thought I'd answer it here in case others have the same questions:
Q: "I came across your post with the rail that you modded and had a couple questions. How solid is the mount? Is it solid enough to keep an optic zero'd?"
A: The quadrail has had movement issues, hopefully the "T" bracket (haven't tested it yet) will prevent movement, I don't plan to mount an optic to it.
I may add a Docter style red dot on the TWS dustcover rail (pics on pg 9), it's solid and should return to zero.  
A stubby foregrip and handstop will get mounted to the quadrail when my SBR stamp arrives.

4) As TREETOP stated, J&G has Mini's back in stock, $399+tax or $399+shipping/ffl trans fee
J&G also has the regular Draco's back in stock, $379+tax or $379+shipping/ffl trans fee

ObsoleteMan- There is a fair amount of clearance - a tad over 1 1/4 ". Here is a pic of the front. I dropped a 74 brake over the slant brake so you could see for reference. The 74 is 1".

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 1:19:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Some reason this does not look right to me...it is almost looks like part of the front of the pistol is missing. I know each handguard is different but how is the stability? And can you fit a muzzle break or flash hider on the end of the barrel?

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy165/liquidtrip420/66466ff8.jpg

This is how I am keeping it for now. I ordered a KAC hand stop and an Ace folding mechanism with the integrated  AR style adapter last night. Forrm 1 will go out in the next week or two.  I will add the KAC VFG when my stamp comes back.

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:51:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Cool, thanks Dferg. For muzzle device clearance, it looks like the MI setup is definitely the winner over the UTG setup.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:52:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Well, I just picked up a 7.5" barrel for an AR pistol project, has me thinking about a 7.5" AK as well.. :)
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 7:30:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Cool, thanks Dferg. For muzzle device clearance, it looks like the MI setup is definitely the winner over the UTG setup.

NP. I fired it today and it does not move at all.
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#41]
3 Range videos of my new Mini. Enjoy.

(Sorry, I don't know how to embed the videos. Yet...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQZZts7z4IA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7PRyCeVuNQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVGuaSmd-yA
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 5:03:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 5:29:04 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm almost diggin' it..

I can't stand those rail scope mounts, but it's not my gun, so rock on. :)
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#44]
I am planning my SBR, hoping to get the form signed this week. Anyway, is it safe to assume these two parts could be used to add the stock once the stamp comes back.

Ace push button folding stock mechanism
Ace modular skeleton buttstock
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 9:39:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Holy... That much for the pushbutton? The regular ACE hinge/plate is only $59.
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 10:12:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Yes pretty steep. Anyone know what the LOP is on the DPH stock compared to Tromix, or a 7.5" Ace? How about compared to the VZ58 folder?

Yes I saw the photos in the SBR-ing thread.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 4:55:13 AM EDT
[#47]
I have a Sightmark 4 railed handguard coming in tomorrow along with a Gear Sector hand stop.  I should have it mounted and pictures up by Friday.

MadDog
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 5:32:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I was trying to decide whether I wanted a pushbutton Ace or not. I read a few comments that said the push button was much better than the non and then - as usual- found some that said the exact opposite and that it had more slop. I  ended up getting the non-push button with the intergrated AR adapter. Any comments about either or both would be appreciated...

Link Posted: 7/12/2011 9:58:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yes pretty steep. Anyone know what the LOP is on the DPH stock compared to Tromix, or a 7.5" Ace? How about compared to the VZ58 folder?

Yes I saw the photos in the SBR-ing thread.

I would appreciate this info as well.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 12:15:38 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was trying to decide whether I wanted a pushbutton Ace or not. I read a few comments that said the push button was much better than the non and then - as usual- found some that said the exact opposite and that it had more slop. I  ended up getting the non-push button with the intergrated AR adapter. Any comments about either or both would be appreciated...

My only Ace folder experience is with a Saiga 12 conversion, and I'm quite happy with it without a button. Although I couldn't say that the button isn't better having never tried one.

Page / 8
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top