Lots of laughs
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NTXGlocker:

@curmudgeon762

What about 44mag?
View Quote

When I say pistol I think in terms of semi auto. Nothing more reliable than a revolver
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 7:22:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Rbass:
Gents, looking for some experience here. I am looking at the 20.5 to use out where there are black bears, and on paper it sounds like a great option. Have any of you found it at all unreliable with the higher power high penetration rounds? My only experience with the 20 was a dirty range rental and likely weak ammo, and it was a jamomatic. Are there any issues with this gun? I love my 17.5, and would definitely like to add the 20 but for this use it has to be utterly reliable. Appreciate any insights.
View Quote

I’ve got a minimum of 15000 through my Glock 20 95% handloads and a goodly amount of those maximum charge loads. If you test the ammo you are using properly I would choose it over anything else. Mine is extremely reliable.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 7:57:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sharps54] [#5]
If you want a little more than statistics here are a number of accounts of handguns being used effectively in defense against bears
https://www.marksmanshipmatters.com/dangerous-predators-stopped-with-handguns/
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 8:20:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Wandell:
THE G20 PROBABLY HAS THE BEST REPUTATION OF ANY 10MM IN HISTIRY
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/21/2024 10:05:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dogtired] [#7]
When I lived in CO a local guy woke up to a black bear in his hallway, trapping him.  He shot it in the face with a Judge and SD ammo.  Killed it on the spot.  The next day he cane into town and bought 2 more Judges for the other two rooms in the house.

A PD G22 trade in would be fine also.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 9:36:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By dogtired:
When I lived in CO a local guy woke up to a black bear in his hallway, trapping him.  He shot it in the face with a Judge and SD ammo.  Killed it on the spot.  The next day he cane into town and bought 2 more Judges for the other two rooms in the house.

A PD G22 trade in would be fine also.
View Quote

Crazy thing to wake up to! I wonder if he had 45 Colt or some kind of 410 load in that Judge, I know 45 will do the job but I would be leery of 410…
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#9]
It was the 410 self defense ammo.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By dogtired:
It was the 410 self defense ammo.
View Quote

I’m glad it worked for him!
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 11:11:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By dalle0001:
Here’s an interesting article to ready: http://www.bear-hunting.com/2019/8/firearm-vs-bear-spray

Why would a bear hunting magazine tell you not to shoot a bear with a handgun?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dalle0001:
Here’s an interesting article to ready: http://www.bear-hunting.com/2019/8/firearm-vs-bear-spray

Why would a bear hunting magazine tell you not to shoot a bear with a handgun?

That's not what the conclusion presented at the end of the article you linked says.

For me, the best answer is to carry both.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 11:25:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I’ve carried the last two gens for years in the woods. Very very reliable and I definitely trust them. Just grabbed a 5g20 fde. I’ve always ran 200g buffalo bore and it rocks.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top