BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/26/2010 9:16:58 AM EDT
Interesting.... not released just yet

Link Posted: 3/26/2010 9:19:52 AM EDT
[#1]
The fact that it's not released yet gives you time to find .380 ammo.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 9:25:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Too big for a .380 and too expensive.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 9:43:28 AM EDT
[#3]
The popularity of the LCP has everyone coming out with a 380 it seems.  I noticed Taurus has an ugly little LCP/Keltc wannabe.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Interesting concept, but I agree with whoever said it's too big. Also, all of those controls on the side make it look clunky. From the pic, it looks like a PPS would be comparable in size to the Bodyguard, while retaining a more formidable catridge. I'll stick with my P3AT.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 12:17:13 PM EDT
[#5]
make that into a 9mm and we might be talking.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 3/27/2010 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This.

Hell, I'd rather it were in 9X18 Makarov.  At least you could get ammo for it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2010 8:23:35 PM EDT
[#8]
How much is the MSRP? Is that a safety, slide lock, and takedown lever? It does look a little "busy". I do like the integrated laser, but one would have to send the entire firearm in if the laser goes tits up.
Link Posted: 3/27/2010 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The popularity of the LCP has everyone coming out with a 380 it seems.  I noticed Taurus has an ugly little LCP/Keltc wannabe.  

I did like the Taurus' trigger though. I daily carry an LCP as my duty BUG and love it. Scored several hundred rounds of .380 the other night at Wally World.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The popularity of the P3AT has everyone coming out with a 380 it seems.  I noticed Taurus has an ugly little LCP/Keltc wannabe.  

Fixed.

If Smith makes theirs without the laser I'll take a look at it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2010 5:51:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Any news on these? I thought they were coming out this month.
Link Posted: 5/15/2010 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Apparently, dealers are suppose to be getting them around the week of the 26th of May.  But I am surprised that not one (AFAIK) big time gun reviewer has gotten their hands on one to test.
Link Posted: 5/15/2010 6:24:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Too big for a .380 and too expensive.

Is it really that much bigger than the P3AT and LCP? I know its a couple ounces heavier than the Diamondback but it does have a laser.  I hate the little safety, hopefully its good enough to not engage easily.
Link Posted: 5/15/2010 6:30:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm waiting to get my hands on one before I make a decision on what .380 to get.
Link Posted: 5/15/2010 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Held it at the NRA Convention. I liked it a little better than the Ruger LCP (which I think is decent), but I don't think I'll be getting one after holding it. The polymer Bodygard revolver, however, I liked a lot more.
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 8:49:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Held it at the NRA Convention. I liked it a little better than the Ruger LCP (which I think is decent), but I don't think I'll be getting one after holding it. The polymer Bodygard revolver, however, I liked a lot more.

Difference of opinion here, IMHO I liked the auto much better than the revolver.  I don't think I'll buy either though.  Of all the new guns I saw and handled, I liked the 21st Century Commander the best.  I may have to make room for a Colt.

Link Posted: 5/18/2010 7:03:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Played with one a  bunch at SHOT 2010...

I will be getting one!
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Any updates?  I've been holding out on buying an LCP to hear feedback on the Bodyguard.

I hope they make a version without a manual safety.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 4:19:34 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm still waiting too. Last I heard we may be able to get our grubby hands on them Mid June which is not too long from now.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 4:23:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2

I got really excited when I first heard about it. Looked nice, and I wanted one right up to the point I read it was 380.

Link Posted: 6/5/2010 5:14:11 AM EDT
[#21]
After owning a .380 and discovering how difficult and expensive the ammo is I sold it and went a different direction.  I bought a Kahr PM9 black diamond 9mm.  It is plenty small enough for deep concealment, reliable, and it uses ammo that you can find anywhere.  It is a little expensive but you make that up in ammo costs pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 7:52:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Ammo cost on my 380 is not a big factor.
I carry a Colt Mustang Pocket Lite that hits where you point it.
The 380 is a protection round not a swat entry team round.
All these nay sayers of the 380 keep compairing it with the 9mm.
They just don't get it.
You carry a small light 380 with the ability of a head shot out to 15-20 yds.
Shoot it 10-20 times every time you go to the range, and put it back in your back pocket.
Its there all the time.
That is all you need to protect yourself.
Leave the larger guns to the entry teams.

Link Posted: 6/23/2010 3:34:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Under the duress of a "draw down" situation you can do head shots every time?

Doubtful.

Of course if you are former SAS, or Rangers or Force Recon, them maybe I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but the average CCW permit holder is gonna be lucky to hit center of mass, much less head shots, in that situation.

That's why 9mm beats 380.
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 6:13:52 AM EDT
[#24]
That might be the logic behind the laser. It is kind of expected that you aren't going to practice at the same level as you would with a full size gun ie. 9mm/.40/.45 etc. So they maybe thinking (industry in general) that you need a little bit of a "crutch" to aide in targeting.

Nobody argues that a .380 is better than a 9mm. It is just that the size differential when you go from 9mm down to .380 is huge. I was trying to convince myself to get a 9mm instead of a small .380 and they just aren't small enough for the purpose/thought process I have going.

I still cary an old S&W 4013 daily but was looking for something smaller for the summer. The smallest 9mm I could find is the Kahr and it wasn't small enough to justify no longer carring my 4013. So one again the lil .380 is going to be the ticket.

I'm waiting for the Bodyguard 380 to decide what to get. It is probaly down to the Kahr or the Bodyguard. The Bodyguard hast the advantage sight unseen though, brand loyalty/laser/price point.
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 6:15:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Oh and as a side note if they could/would come out with a 9mm in this size I would probaly buy 2 of them.
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#26]
any word on a release date yet?
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#27]
- Everybody and their dog

This

The .380..Meh...I'd rather pay $450.00 for a .38 airweight.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#28]
My dealer is now telling me he received a shipping date of July 29'th from the factory. At least the 38 Bodyguards are out now.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:01:42 PM EDT
[#30]
i'll check it out but i'll probably buy an LCR or a .38 bodyguard.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:19:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Saw one today at my local shop. If i had the cash I would have dropped it immediately. Much nicer than the LCP. solid feeling not a crappy little pocket gun. Laser has solid strobe and off. and the trigger is real sweet.
Might have to go back tomorrow to grab it.

I'm taking a look at one this saturday, might pick up a mp.45c or the bodyguard, haven't decided.  If its anything like you said mag then I might go home with the .380
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:35:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Saw one today at my local shop. If i had the cash I would have dropped it immediately. Much nicer than the LCP. solid feeling not a crappy little pocket gun. Laser has solid strobe and off. and the trigger is real sweet.

How much were they asking for it? Trying to figure out what the market is going to be on them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:43:48 AM EDT
[#33]
My dealer got the 38 Bodyguard revolver I ordered last Wednesday, and on Thursday the Bodyguard 380 came in. I bought them both and in a word "WOW". First about the Bodyguard 38, this revolver has some unique innovations the first that really stuck out was the action. When you open the cylinder you notice the absense of a cylinder hand cutout in the frame. The cylinder is turned by a star shaped piece that protrudes from the frame and fits into the star on the cylinder, it also turns clockwise now. The trigger is very smooth and it still has that famous S&W timing where the cylinder indexes before the hammer drops. Next the laser is fitted to the upper right side of the frame which is perfect for me because I have large hands and grip my revolvers as high as possible. The revolver feels great in the hand and the laser is easy to activate should you choose to.
The Bodyguard 38 is impressive but I think the 380 is even more so. I originally bought a Ruger LCP when the first came out and though reliable it was not comfortable to shoot. The more rounds thru it  the discomfort quickly turned to pain. I next bought a Kahr P380 which totally outclassed the LCP. Better sights, better trigger and you could shoot it in comfort all day. The Bodyguard 380 is even more comfortable to shoot. My initial outing I put 200 rounds of assorted 380 ammo thru it and it was 100% reliable, and very accurate. The BG 380 feels even better than my old favorite Kahr P380. I like the sights, the slide stop and even the thumb safety which is very unobtrusive and there should you decide to engage it. The built in laser is really something making headshots boringly easy at 10 yards. Activation is by a button on either side of the dust cover and placed right where your trigger finger should be when not on the trigger. One touch for on, two for pulse and three for off, all very easy and natural. Smith & Wesson took a couple of years developing these pistols and got everything right I think. Taking the 380 apart for cleaning I was amazed at the build quality of the tiny pistol, the slide rails are full length which probably accounts for it's fine accuracy. I wish it was easier to post photos on this site but it's not, I post several photos on the S&W forum. Anyone contemplating buying one of these new Bodyguards will be very impressed by them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 3:01:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Got one coming in Monday and waited to see if there are any range reports.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:51:20 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I have to agree with this.  Very nice little .380.  I was suitably impressed with its quality.  I will be getting one in the near future.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:17:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 3:19:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Well it came in and will be going back out to S&W. I put 30 rounds through it and the trigger would not reset. I field stripped it and can't see anything that has come loose.  Oh well it was a great gun for 30 rounds anyway. So if you get one stop at 29 rounds and you will have one left for a bad guy.
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 5:50:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 3:46:06 PM EDT
[#40]
I've been waiting for this to come out so I could choose between it and the lcp. Not really a huge fan of lasers, but if it doesn't make the pistol too much bigger I don't mind.

Does anyone have comparison pics between it and the lcp?
Link Posted: 7/29/2010 1:38:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/30/2010 12:00:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Does anyone have comparison pics between it and the lcp?

I'd sure like to see that, too, or at least a comparison of their specifications.

Link Posted: 7/31/2010 2:58:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Ruger LCP with CT vs S&W Bodyguard 380

Smith on top Ruger on bottom
**Remember Ruger has Crimson Trace laser on it.

Showing higher stipling on the grip of the SW

Ruger on top of the SW
Link Posted: 7/31/2010 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#44]
The few of you that have bought them what did they set you back? My local vendor doesn't have them yet (as of last week) I'm still wondering how these are gonna retail out.
Link Posted: 7/31/2010 5:37:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/31/2010 5:49:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Here in the ATL area they are priced from a low of about $433 up to about $469 which is the highest I have seen so far.  I think they wholesale for in the $380ish range.

These are just hitting the market here in the last couple of weeks.

ETA: You might want to see if your dealer happens to have (probably not) extra mags if you purchase the pistol.  Extra mags seem to be hard to find right now.

Quoted:
The few of you that have bought them what did they set you back? My local vendor doesn't have them yet (as of last week) I'm still wondering how these are gonna retail out.

Link Posted: 7/31/2010 6:45:08 PM EDT
[#47]
i'll wait for them to come out at LE rate. then i'll grab one.
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 4:23:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Here in the ATL area they are priced from a low of about $433 up to about $469 which is the highest I have seen so far.  I think they wholesale for in the $380ish range.

These are just hitting the market here in the last couple of weeks.

ETA: You might want to see if your dealer happens to have (probably not) extra mags if you purchase the pistol.  Extra mags seem to be hard to find right now.

Quoted:

Thanks for the info. That's right where I figured they would be at my vendor will most likely have them on the high range knowing them. The only problem is they are really the best supplier in the area. They know it too.
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 4:47:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Kahr already did.  Its called the PM9
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 6:56:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Since nobody has asked this yet, could you new bodyguard owners please tell me if the slide locks back on an empty mag? This is something that bugs me on the LCP and I'd love to hear if S&W got this right.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top