Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/5/2017 12:43:27 PM EDT
The Firearm Blog

The recently released TAC14 will also be available in the magazine fed version. Each magazine holds six rounds of 12 gauge ammo in 2 3/4 as well as 3-inch shells.

Before going into the other models’ let’s talk about the version I was sent for testing. The version in the photos is the Remington 870 DM Magpul. This version comes with all Magpul furniture including the Magpul SGA stock with the Super Cell recoil pad. Magpul MOE M-Lok forend, 18.5 inch Rem Choke barrel with extended ported tactical choke, XS steel front sight with white dot as well as an XS Tactical Rail with a ghost ring rear sight (adjustable). Each 870DM Magpul shotgun comes with a choke tool so the user can remove the tactical choke and replace it with a choke of your choice. The MSRP for the Magpul model is $799.00. The Magpul model will be available shortly while the other models will be released over the next few months. Each shotgun comes with one magazine.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#1]
How about they just try to build what they already have in production with 1985 quality control standards?
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How about they just try to build what they already have in production with 1985 quality control standards?
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 1:15:40 PM EDT
[#3]
That was the big reveal???

Meh.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 1:20:58 PM EDT
[#4]
A solution to a problem that never existed.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 1:31:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A solution to a problem that never existed.
View Quote
Slow reloads and low capacity with reasonable length barrels?
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 1:38:55 PM EDT
[#6]
What's going on w/ that bolt?  Looks like their 3.5" bolt.

Would be interesting if they put this in the 11-87 platform and released 2 round mags.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 2:07:37 PM EDT
[#8]
look OK,  sorta want

much cool
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 2:09:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 2:15:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
This exactly

Remington has lost my business because of their crap they are putting out.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 2:18:29 PM EDT
[#11]
No thanks. Happy enough with my 9+1 590A1 and my 5+1 Shockwave.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 2:21:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Same capacity as an 18.5" with a mag tube not extending past the muzzle.
View Quote
Faster reload is the only advantage that I see. 3 gun competition is the only practical reason for faster reload that I can readily identify.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 2:32:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Same capacity as an 18.5" with a mag tube not extending past the muzzle.
View Quote
Reasonable meaning 12-14.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:  Faster reload is the only advantage that I see. 3 gun competition is the only practical reason for faster reload that I can readily identify.
View Quote
Ducks.  Start w/ 3 rounds in the gun, and now you can keep feeding it 2 rounds @ a time, instead of 1.  Only thing faster would be a triple bbl w/ moon clips.  Problem is Remington's only releasing 3 & 6 round mags, so you'll have to block the 3 rnd mags to 2.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 4:21:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Before going into the other models’ let’s talk about the version I was sent for testing.
View Quote
So start talking.

First, does tube loading still work? Both at same time?
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Faster reload is the only advantage that I see. 3 gun competition is the only practical reason for faster reload that I can readily identify.
View Quote
Higher capacity for guns with less than 18 bbls, such as SBS, AOW.

Faster reloads works for competition, hunting, tactical situations. Who doesn't want a gun they can reload faster?
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 4:30:00 PM EDT
[#17]
It's gonna be harder to holster that.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 5:07:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Higher capacity for guns with less than 18 bbls, such as SBS, AOW.
View Quote
It looks like a bolt on kit for a standard 870. If they sold the kits separately, I'd be tempted to pick one up for my Super Shorty.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Pump? Why?
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 6:21:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Pump? Why?
View Quote
Black Aces Tactical had been making such machinations for awhile now, but with pistol braces and/or folding stocks along with the full length versions. Competition perhaps?

This looks like its a standard receiver with a third hole drilled at the front, and replaces the standard lifter/trigger assembly. Shouldn't be hard to adapt to the auto, they likely even have working preproduction models ready to go, they're just waiting to see what market response is.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 8:16:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Interesting idea. But knowing Remington they'll probably be like $600 street price, $50 mags, not reliably eject and rust if you look at them wrong. If they made one that was a bolt on then that would be interesting. I like this because mossberg started a whole thing with the shockwave, then remington copied that, hopefully this is successful enough to make mossberg make something like it but better.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 9:35:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I’m wondering why the choice to modify the 870 design instead of a ground up box fed design?
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 9:39:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I’m wondering why the choice to modify the 870 design instead of a ground up box fed design?
View Quote
It's cheaper for them to just drill an extra hole and pull some parts than make new designs.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 8:48:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Looks like side saddles could be a problem.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 9:27:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:  Looks like side saddles could be a problem.
View Quote
Not really.  This doesn't combat load.  You just carry more mags.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 9:28:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The Firearm Blog

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/81348X_REM_870_DM_SYN_TACT_12ga_CYL_BS_TAC14_right.jpg

The recently released TAC14 will also be available in the magazine fed version. Each magazine holds six rounds of 12 gauge ammo in 2 3/4 as well as 3-inch shells.

Before going into the other models’ let’s talk about the version I was sent for testing. The version in the photos is the Remington 870 DM Magpul. This version comes with all Magpul furniture including the Magpul SGA stock with the Super Cell recoil pad. Magpul MOE M-Lok forend, 18.5 inch Rem Choke barrel with extended ported tactical choke, XS steel front sight with white dot as well as an XS Tactical Rail with a ghost ring rear sight (adjustable). Each 870DM Magpul shotgun comes with a choke tool so the user can remove the tactical choke and replace it with a choke of your choice. The MSRP for the Magpul model is $799.00. The Magpul model will be available shortly while the other models will be released over the next few months. Each shotgun comes with one magazine.
View Quote
Not against a mag-fed shotty,  ... but good gawwwd, that thing just looks like it'd be both awkward and painful to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 9:34:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 9:35:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 10:49:59 AM EDT
[#29]
I am really laughing @ the old salts who are recycling the arguments against the Garand.

You can always top off a mag - drop the half full mag, and load a full one.  It sounds like the 1930's in here.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 1:03:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#32]
They should last longer than the finish.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 2:09:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 2:53:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I am really laughing @ the old salts who are recycling the arguments against the Garand.

You can always top off a mag - drop the half full mag, and load a full one.  It sounds like the 1930's in here.
View Quote
The enemy hears your magazine drop and will know you're loading.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 5:14:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Looks like side saddles could be a problem.
Side saddles are attached to the gun and not going anywhere.  Grabbing more mags isn't the same thing.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:  Side saddles are attached to the gun and not going anywhere.  Grabbing more mags isn't the same thing.
View Quote
Let's see a pic of how many mags you carry attached to your AR.  If you use all the Mako do-dads & a Boonie Packer, you can get, what, 5 mags outside the magwell w/out linking mags?  If Remington's mag catches on, I'm sure Mako will make a stock or forend attachment you can put an extra mag in.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't see anything that would prevent single loading? It doesn't have a bolt hold open from the one video I saw, I can't say if it would get caught in the mag or not if you just throw one in, but it seems like it is a plausibility at least. Not going to jump on these off the bat since lol freedom group quality control, but I hope mossberg makes one.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Is their some giant sale at remington or something?  their website keeps crashing.

http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/remington.com.html
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Ducks.  Start w/ 3 rounds in the gun, and now you can keep feeding it 2 rounds @ a time, instead of 1.  Only thing faster would be a triple bbl w/ moon clips.  Problem is Remington's only releasing 3 & 6 round mags, so you'll have to block the 3 rnd mags to 2.
View Quote
True, but I think a good duck hunter can put 1-2 rounds in the tube in probably about the same amount of time it takes to drop the mag, pull out a new one, throw back on the gun.    I think the value for hunting is probably minimal.  Sure, we've all wished we had more rounds in the gun when the birds are tornadoing into to the decoys, but I don't see this significantly changing the game for waterfowl.  For $800 I think I could get a much better duck gun.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 7:47:57 PM EDT
[#40]
The tac-14 version might be fun for blasting at the range.
Is it just me, or does that mag release look like it could accidentally get bumped by the hand pulling back on the forend? especially on the 14" version where you don't want your hand too far forward to begin with.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#41]
My take:

Subpar design with poor ergonomics. Overpriced.

I'd maybe pay $300 for it, with a 2nd mag.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 9:39:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:  True, but I think a good duck hunter can put 1-2 rounds in the tube in probably about the same amount of time it takes to drop the mag, pull out a new one, throw back on the gun.    I think the value for hunting is probably minimal.  Sure, we've all wished we had more rounds in the gun when the birds are tornadoing into to the decoys, but I don't see this significantly changing the game for waterfowl.  For $800 I think I could get a much better duck gun.
View Quote
They're asking $800 for it?  Bwahahaha!

Despite the ridiculous price, my initial math for ducks was wrong.  Since you can't insert a full 3 round mag on a closed bolt, every mag you throw in has your next 3 shots.  I think they designed it that way, and put the mag release up front, for duck hunters - and are now trying to sell the wrong mag and mag release to the security folks.

So your buddy has one of these new-fangled things, and a ton of loaded mags w/ HeviShot.  You have a 3.5" autoloader w/ whatever legal load you can think of.  Given a strong arm, your buddy can fire nearly 3 shots in the same time as you, but you have to reload 1 @ a time.  Every time he reloads, he pops 3 in.  You'll be close @ 1st, but eventually he'll outrun you.  If Remington sticks around, AND if these mags stick around, Remington will put this in a stretched 11-87.  With 3" Heavi-Shot or the equivalent, that would be the highest output duck gun - even faster than Saigas, that can only reload 2 @ a time.  Only thing faster would be a triple bbl w/ moon clips, and I'm not sure it would be faster than this magazine on a stretched 11-87.

OK.  So this design has been kicking around Remington for a bit, and unfortunately it's one of their Hail Mary passes.  This magazine was designed for DUCKS.

That's why you can't close the bolt on a full mag.  It's designed for the 3 round limit on duck guns.  And for that, particularly if it makes it into semi-autos, it will be the fastest thing at 32 degrees in the rain at o'dark thirty.  The 6 shot mag is an afterthought.  And you CAN load the mag on a closed bolt, @John_Wayne777 , you just have to download the mag a round.  And then you can pop the bolt back a bit and slam it shut on something you popped in through the ejection port.  And @M1-Ed will just have to get used to the fact that shotguns are now more like his M1.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 11:04:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Despite the ridiculous price, my initial math for ducks was wrong.  Since you can't insert a full 3 round mag on a closed bolt, every mag you throw in has your next 3 shots.  I think they designed it that way, and put the mag release up front, for duck hunters - and are now trying to sell the wrong mag and mag release to the security folks.
View Quote
The magpul model is $800 msrp, the sporter synthetic and wood models are $ 529 msrp
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 11:44:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:  The magpul model is $800 msrp, the sporter synthetic and wood models are $ 529 msrp
View Quote
Street price after post-rust rebate $150?  

I like the idea of what they're doing, but 2.5x the price of a Maverick 88 that takes 87% of 500 accessories?  I don't think it will sell @ anywhere close to their MSRP.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 12:51:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Street price after post-rust rebate $150?  

I like the idea of what they're doing, but 2.5x the price of a Maverick 88 that takes 87% of 500 accessories?  I don't think it will sell @ anywhere close to their MSRP.
View Quote
Apples and Oranges I'd say, mag fed shotguns aren't ever going to compete well practicality or price wise to regular tube feds.
Idk how much exactly rustington street prices vary from MSRP, but from looking at their website and online at an 870 express, it's at least $100, probably $200 less on sale from MSRP. Even at $329 this would be a hard sell for me, based more on the absolute horror stores I've heard from modern remington than the idea itself. Plus I bet they'll rape you on the mags, $50 for one that is junk probably. I feel like it'd be better as a bolt on accessory, curious to see how much of the parts are interchangeability with a regular 870 and how much modification they did.   I hope this is a success so we see the mossberg version for $200 less than the remington and made better

I wish I was a hollywood armorer or props guy so I could pick one of these up, sbs it and do silly stuff and write it off as a business expense. I'd either do a Serbu super shorty type with the breacher end,metal folding grip and a choate top folder and cut all the polymer junk coating off the mag, or cut it to 12" and put a LEO top folder and walnut forend on it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 1:22:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Just a heads up, well, two I suppose.

According to Remington's official release video, magazines will msrp at $35 each.

Also, the Predator model...once my lgs can get availability, and if the price is right, I might be ordering one through them. It is /everything/ I could want for such a beast down to the camo.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 1:28:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Just a heads up, well, two I suppose.

According to Remington's official release video, magazines will msrp at $35 each.

Also, the Predator model...once my lgs can get availability, and if the price is right, I might be ordering one through them. It is /everything/ I could want for such a beast down to the camo.
View Quote
$35 for either capacity of mags? Not too bad, curious to how they'll hold up.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Problem there is (almost) no one uses a pump for competition, unless in very specific divisions. It is all semi auto. Plus, magazine fed immediately places the competitor in OPEN division, regardless of how the shotgun operates. Frankly it looks like a solution to a problem no one had.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 9:09:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

So your buddy has one of these new-fangled things, and a ton of loaded mags w/ HeviShot.  You have a 3.5" autoloader w/ whatever legal load you can think of.  Given a strong arm, your buddy can fire nearly 3 shots in the same time as you, but you have to reload 1 @ a time.  Every time he reloads, he pops 3 in.  You'll be close @ 1st, but eventually he'll outrun you.  If Remington sticks around, AND if these mags stick around, Remington will put this in a stretched 11-87.  With 3" Heavi-Shot or the equivalent, that would be the highest output duck gun - even faster than Saigas, that can only reload 2 @ a time.  Only thing faster would be a triple bbl w/ moon clips, and I'm not sure it would be faster than this magazine on a stretched 11-87.

OK.  So this design has been kicking around Remington for a bit, and unfortunately it's one of their Hail Mary passes.  This magazine was designed for DUCKS.

That's why you can't close the bolt on a full mag.  It's designed for the 3 round limit on duck guns.  And for that, particularly if it makes it into semi-autos, it will be the fastest thing at 32 degrees in the rain at o'dark thirty.  The 6 shot mag is an afterthought.  And you CAN load the mag on a closed bolt, @John_Wayne777 , you just have to download the mag a round.  And then you can pop the bolt back a bit and slam it shut on something you popped in through the ejection port.  And @M1-Ed will just have to get used to the fact that shotguns are now more like his M1.  
View Quote
Ha!  I'm envisioning guys rolling out into the duck bling in full kit with a bunch of extra mags in their chest rigs.  I know...I can't laugh too much, I keep 6 shells on the front of my waders, and have a dozen more on a floating handwarmer around my waist.   I've only had a couple times where I've run through 9 rounds though before we didn't get some lull in the action.    What might be useful and helpful would be using the mags for different loads.   BB or T's for Geese, 2's or 4's for Ducks.    That woudl still require opening the bolt to eject the one in the chamber though.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 10:23:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Problem there is (almost) no one uses a pump for competition, unless in very specific divisions. It is all semi auto. Plus, magazine fed immediately places the competitor in OPEN division, regardless of how the shotgun operates. Frankly it looks like a solution to a problem no one had.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Frankly, it's a solution to a problem real life, tactical users had. This will potentially revolutionize the police shotgun for specialized use. As an entry gun it would offer vastly superior ballistics to a 556 carbine and barrel length won't restrict capacity like a tube fed gun. In combat situations (adrenaline dump) it will be much easier to reload using gross motor skills, unlike the tube fed gun that takes much training to be competent with. Carrying spare ammo will be easier in loaded mags on web gear. Different ammo ( slugs, Buck shot, bean bags, etc) could be loaded into color coded or tactile marked mags. This would be a big improvement over the way it was done in the past.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top