BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

S&W looked around at Ruger, Sig, etc, and decided they needed a silencer brand too, and gobbled up Gemtech. Smart move for them as IMO, Gemtech was the most undervalued, underappreciated silencer company in the industry. It was ripe. And I think this will be the trend. Gun companies see money in silencers, and want to jump in fast. Buying an existing company is a quick way.

Historically though, buyouts do nothing for the customer. There is less choice, and more cost. Typically the buyout business was gender neutral.  How will that effect products like MIST22, which goes on a competitors gun? And companies with silencer brands, tend to make stuff for their guns and let stuff for other guns, or generic stuff, fall off the R&D chart.

Sure, in the short term little will change. But over time, expect the current Gemtech lineup to be completely different. Get your classic cans (MK9K, Mossad, etc NOW).
View Quote
That's exactly what I was wondering.  I'd find it hard to believe they'd continue to manufacture a can that's only used on competitor's product.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:09:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That's exactly what I was wondering.  I'd find it hard to believe they'd continue to manufacture a can that's only used on competitor's product.
View Quote
S&W doesn't have a real competitor in that market, right?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Finally, someone can build the modern suppressed revolver I've always wanted.

And I'm not joking.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Finally, someone can build the modern suppressed revolver I've always wanted.

And I'm not joking.
View Quote
I keep waiting for SilencerCo to make a Trigun suppressed revolver:

Link Posted: 7/4/2017 5:29:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I keep waiting for SilencerCo to make a Trigun suppressed revolver:

https://img0.etsystatic.com/122/0/7189660/il_fullxfull.920074682_mjn3.jpg
View Quote
I would be first in line! Seriously.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:I just hope S&W doesn't do something stupid like move them to Massachusetts.
View Quote
I've lived in Massachusetts and spent a lot of time in Idaho.

If S&W were smart, they'd move everything to Idaho.  Sure the state of Idaho would sweeten the pot for them and welcome them with open arms.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:06:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I would be first in line! Seriously.
View Quote
Well Im already first in line. You can be second.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 6:59:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Well Im already first in line. You can be second.
View Quote
I'm good with that. As long as it happens.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 7:42:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Great! Maybe Gemtech can convince Smith & Wesson to release a factory 4-4.5" threaded Victory now.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 9:58:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 10:16:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Well the market does not like it.

Stock tanked an instant 9% when deal announced, and is now down almost 12% since announcement.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 1:12:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Stock tanked an instant 9% when deal announced, and is now down almost 12% since announcement.
View Quote
Wonder why.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 1:34:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Wonder why.
View Quote
Who knows because big wigs are in the stock market game. Personally I think they are going to go for main stream cheap cans that most people can afford and not innovative cans people want. If anyone in r&d department knew how to use the internet, they would know lighter shorter cans is the way to go. I don't know much but that's my educated guess.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 6:18:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Wonder why.
View Quote
Perhaps Smith & Wesson is looking to create a smart can?
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 7:58:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
A one day drop doesn't mean diddly squat.  In the short run the stock market is a voting machine, in the long run its a weighing machine. Some shareowners have voted to reduce risk and get out.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 9:33:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wonder why.
View Quote
It appears it was a cash acquistion, so they burned cash in a time when sales/earnings are likely to be down. Stock has been down since election (6 months), so this insta-drop and is part of a longer term trend. It is hard to track SW individually, since it is part of a holding company.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 9:37:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

A one day drop doesn't mean diddly squat.  
View Quote
Thanks Capt. Obvious. If you actually followed the stock, you would know:

It is not a one day drop. Opened down again (1.5%) today, down almost 30% over past 6 months.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#18]
I just hope Doc Dater got a good payday when he sold and that the bankers who did nothing in there short time of ownership were not the only ones to make out.  

Can only assume my year long wait over at Silencer Shop for an "original" Aurora is DOA now.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 12:18:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I would assume it's difficult to find true meaning in all of this because of the trump slump in general.

Everyone is down in the gun industry in general. The question is, is this part of the normal slump or something more.

I'm quite curious and all of this is outside of my expertise/knowledge base. Which is probably obvious from my posts lol.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Perhaps Smith & Wesson is looking to create a smart can?
View Quote
Or a can with a key lock.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 6:21:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thanks Capt. Obvious. If you actually followed the stock, you would know:

It is not a one day drop. Opened down again (1.5%) today, down almost 30% over past 6 months.
View Quote
I don't follow the stock, I commented based on the info you provided.  If you want better commentary provided better info.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 1:57:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It might have been, even with the downturn in the market they recently broke ground on a new, larger headquarters in Meridian, ID.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/06/09/gemtech-headquarters/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=SumoMe&utm_campaign=sumome_share
View Quote
Interesting
Last 2 cans I bought say Eagle ID on them
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top