Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/24/2013 9:47:09 AM EDT
I think I know how this is going to go before I even ask it, but I need to know.

My LGS has a new in box Sig 556 Patrol Classic for a thousand bucks on the rack right now. From what I can tell it is the most recent variant as the lower receiver appears to have extended controls and it doesn't look like the photos on Sig's website. It has the Sig diopter sights and the non-collapsible swiss appearing stock.

If I get it, I eventually want to SBR it and I've seen a lot of posts in the past the ADCO used to or perhaps still does barrel cutdowns on Patrol models. Can anyone confirm this? Does anything need to be done to the gas piston for a 10" barrel?

Also does Sig still sell the 551 lower receivers? I see they still have the swiss mags (although CDNN and other places are cheaper). I see a few come up for sale here and there but most of them are gray... how hard is it to take apart a 551A1 lower and duracoat or cerakote it black to match the Patrol upper?

A long time ago I told myself I was going to buy one of the P556 pistols and build a 552 clone SBR out of it. Well time and tide seems to have worked against me and the pistols appear to be sold out everywhere and I hear nothing but rumors that they will not be returning, or if they do they will be the new 556Xi versions which I don't want. I figure this is perhaps my last shot at piecing together a 552 clone while things are still somewhat affordable... I just don't know about the barrel cut down.

Edit: Slight title reworking to better reflect where this thread has gone.

Link Posted: 12/26/2013 2:17:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I said "fuck it" and bought the Patrol. Got it for $980 before taxes. Merry Christmas to me.

For those who might be asking these same questions, I have received answers:

- ADCO does indeed still cut down and re thread SIG 556 barrels. Got an email from Steve this morning confirming this.

- I never got a response from SIG on the 551A1 lowers, but Cheaper than Dirt (I know I know) and a few other places still have them for sale for the same price SIG had on them years ago.

- CDNN still has both 20 and 30 round SIG SAN mags in stock.

- It appears to me it is easier to refinish the UPPER than it is to refinish the lower (fewer things to take apart, plus there is the NFA engraving to consider), and there is a Cerakote specifically in Sig gray (C-209Q if I remember right).

- MFI still sells the 552 clone handguards, handguard rings and 3 prong flash hiders and Manticore Arms sells a repro 552 "post" style charging handle.

All that is left are the sights. I need a set of Auroras and if anyone has a set for sale let me know. I've already got feelers out but finding a set of Auroras this late in the game feels like trying to find a Duesenberg in Detroit.
Link Posted: 12/26/2013 9:28:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Good luck with your build. Please let us know how it goes and post pic. It sounds like you have it all figured out. Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 8:44:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I had the MFI handguards and end cap when I did my 556SBR build. Later I switched to the DDLES handguard cap and had them cut down a set of 550 handguards for use on the 556SBR.

I posted some comparison pics here http://www.flickr.com/photos/cswimm/sets/72157626868919147/ If you click on the pics to get the full size there is some description under them explaining some observations.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 12:53:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought the MFI handguards and cap already, but excellent information.

Now if I could just find an Aurora rear sight or a SIG SAN 550 clamp on set I'd be all set. It pains me to think I could have "gotten into" this crap yeas ago when this stuff was more prevalent. I feel like I'm not only playing catch-up with the ice cream truck but the ice cream truck is sold out.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 9:41:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Build is progressing. I got the first few parts in the mail yesterday and it is a mixed bag so far.

Put in my eForm 1 yesterday, so that much is accomplished.

The Sig SAN 20 round mags I got from CDNN are excellent... brand new condition, nice and clean. I think I did what everyone who gets these mags does, which is connect all of them into one big super magazine just for shits.

The 552 flash hider I got from MFI is also excellent. Good finish, good milling on it. I threaded it onto the barrel just to have it attached and it looks good... albeit a bit goofy way out there on the end of a 16" barrel.

Now for the "bad news"...

The 552 handguards and cap from MFI are... very meh. The handguards are very, very thin feeling and look very cheap and plasticy. Almost like something that should be on a cheap chinese toy or an airsoft rifle and not a real firearm. I installed them just to see if they would magically gain some rigidity when installed but nope, they remained flimsy and cheap feeling when installed... so off they came. I have no clue how the MFI people think these are suitable for a real weapon. These things are for toys or display pieces. If I dropped or bumped these handguards against something rigid they feel like they would shatter like waterford crystal... or at best dent and discolor terribly.

So if you are looking for 552 handguards for your Sig SBR project, stay away from the MFI set. Their flash hider is good but their handguards are chincey crap.

I have an email in to DDLES to see if their cut down service works with regular Sig "Swiss" 556 handguards as I don't feel like attempting to find original 550 or 551 handguards.

Link Posted: 12/29/2013 1:24:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Build is progressing. I got the first few parts in the mail yesterday and it is a mixed bag so far.

The Sig SAN 20 round mags I got from CDNN are excellent... brand new condition, nice and clean. I think I did what everyone who gets these mags does, which is connect all of them into one big super magazine just for shits.

The 552 flash hider I got from MFI is also excellent. Good finish, good milling on it. I threaded it onto the barrel just to have it attached and it looks good... albeit a bit goofy way out there on the end of a 16" barrel.

The 552 handguards and cap from MFI are... very meh. The handguards are very, very thin feeling and look very cheap and plasticy. Almost like something that should be on a cheap chinese toy or an airsoft rifle and not a real firearm. I installed them just to see if they would magically gain some rigidity when installed but nope, they remained flimsy and cheap feeling when installed... so off they came. I have no clue how the MFI people think these are suitable for a real weapon. These things are for toys or display pieces. If I dropped or bumped these handguards against something rigid they feel like they would shatter like waterford crystal... or at best dent and discolor terribly.

So if you are looking for 552 handguards for your Sig SBR project, stay away from the MFI set. Their flash hider is good but their handguards are chincey crap.

I have an email in to DDLES to see if their cut down service works with regular Sig "Swiss" 556 handguards as I don't feel like attempting to find original 550 or 551 handguards.

View Quote

DDLES is having a lot of....issues... at the moment. May want to look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

DDLES is having a lot of....issues... at the moment. May want to look elsewhere.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm thinking of just peppering the usual sites with a WTB for some already fabbed in hand 552 DDLES handguards and see what shakes out of the trees.

I wasn't expecting any real hits for my Aurora sights WTB ads but in less than a week I've already had three potential hits, with one most likely a done deal.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 12:08:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, one christmas miracle down... I found a set of Aurora sights.

So if I keep the shittastic MFI handguards then my build has all the parts it needs. But shittastic is not a spoken language in my BRD realm. I also don't like the factory 556 pistol handguards as they seem so... large and unshapely. So unless I can scam a second christmas miracle and someone answers my ads looking for DDLES 552 handguards I may be looking at other options.

What are the "correct" handguard options on the 552 / 553 series? I know the cut down 550's are the stereotypical ones you see most often, but what is the Sig rail system? Is there a "factory" 552/3 rail system or is it just an aftermarket setup?
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 3:10:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

So if I keep the shittastic MFI handguards then my build has all the parts it needs. But shittastic is not a spoken language in my BRD realm. I also don't like the factory 556 pistol handguards as they seem so... large and unshapely. So unless I can scam a second christmas miracle and someone answers my ads looking for DDLES 552 handguards I may be looking at other options.

What are the "correct" handguard options on the 552 / 553 series? I know the cut down 550's are the stereotypical ones you see most often, but what is the Sig rail system? Is there a "factory" 552/3 rail system or is it just an aftermarket setup?
View Quote

Will Troy's pistol rail fit that?  Or are you looking to be all "factory"?  If so, couldn't you acquire a Sig Pistol length rail from Sig?

BTW, finding an actual, legitimate set of Aurora's is ABSOLUTELY a Christmas miracle.  It's incredibly amazing.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm kind of interested in what the "real" Sig SAN rail is... if there is one. I know I always see pictures of supposedly legitimate 552's that have rails bolted onto the regular ballistic nylon hand guards but when I google "Sig 553" I see nearly all of them have a free floated quad rail fore-end. I can't really tell what that railed job is. My guess is that it has to be some unique factory SAN part that I'd have to hock a kidney to get, let alone find.

My ideal setup would be to find a set of those DDLES chopped 552 handguards at this stage. This future SBR is a clone after all and it will never be a dead-nuts accurate 552, just a convincing knock-off.

As for the Aurora sights they have not arrived yet, so until they are in my mitts I'm still holding my breath... but the seller seems very legit and the photos they sent me were also very legit.

Does anyone have any of the clone push-button take down pins? are they worth it? I know they are pure cosmetic stuff but at this point I'm in fifth gear on this thing and there is no slowing down... except for that whole pesky NFA branch slow lane...
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Will Troy's pistol rail fit that?  Or are you looking to be all "factory"?  If so, couldn't you acquire a Sig Pistol length rail from Sig?

BTW, finding an actual, legitimate set of Aurora's is ABSOLUTELY a Christmas miracle.  It's incredibly amazing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding.

I gave up and got a rear site from a demilled 550 and welded it on.

It's a shame that Aurora went to shit.   Seemed like a good quality product, and they looked great.    I REALLY liked his AR Mag lower too.    Far more attractive that the Sig offering.   I keep hoping that someday he'll resurrect that project.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No kidding.

I gave up and got a rear site from a demilled 550 and welded it on.

It's a shame that Aurora went to shit.   Seemed like a good quality product, and they looked great.    I REALLY liked his AR Mag lower too.    Far more attractive that the Sig offering.   I keep hoping that someday he'll resurrect that project.
View Quote

Did you just have the top rail cut down? I assume you are building on a SigUSA 556 as the base for your rifle. Who did the work if I may ask?   A SAN 55X rear diopter with the tritium inserts would be...

I'm interested, but $$ is likely what will stop me.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#13]
The pics aren't loading?.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 8:09:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The pics aren't loading?.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/1/2014 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm bad about pictures... so I took it out of the safe and took a shot this morning.

This is kind of a transitional picture as it is now... no sights, still has the long pencil barrel and I put the plasticky MFI 552 grips back on it.

But it does have the Sig 551A1 lower, the Manticore Arms 552 charging handle and (off camera) the MFI 552 flash hider.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks good!   Please tell me you're going to have the upper Cerakoted to match the lower?
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 1:53:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Looks good!   Please tell me you're going to have the upper Cerakoted to match the lower?
View Quote

That is the plan... I have the cerakote paint number I need but I 'm waiting until after I have it engraved and the barrel shortened. I figure both of those processes will most likely mar the finish a little so best to do it after everything is done.

I just have to figure out what to do about the rubber gaskets. They don't appear to come off without popping the rivets and I've heard they will melt under oven cure, so I'm most likely going to have to go with the air dry cerakote C type finish and do my best to cardboard and tape off the gaskets.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 2:48:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Mine became deformed a little bit, but are still functional.  YMMV
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 10:15:49 AM EDT
[#19]

the problem with using the actual Swiss 552/552 handguards is that the gas system is a little shorter on those than it is on the 556 patrol/pistol/SBR. The Swiss hadguards will be too short for the 556 SBR.

If I couldn't get a set of the Swiss 550 or 551 handguards modified to fit then I would go to railed. One problem with some of the short railed 556 hadguards it that they typically don't come with the little lug for the stock to lock onto when it is folded to the side. If you aren't using the Swiss side folding stock then it's not an issue, but if you do intend to use the Swiss side oflder then you wil probably want that lug on there. This means the most likely option is the SIG factory railed handguards from a 556 patrol SWAT.

Link Posted: 1/2/2014 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm hoping to find a used set of the DDLES 552 handguards, which are cut to the correct length for a 556 SBR.

Failing that I'm looking at the Samson Star-Sig-S pistol rail without front end cap. The lack of a stock retention nub doesn't bother me much at all as I rarely fold my stocks except to transport them, and most of the time I transport my SBRs in a long case with the stocks open anyway.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 11:59:44 AM EDT
[#21]
My experience with the MFI handguards was they they were too brittle. The Plastic seemed, like you said, air soft or toy quality. I gave them a try though. After the first couple trips to the range the two rear tabs that connect the upper and lower halves broke off. I contacted MFI and they were good about sending me a replacement set. Unfortunately after the next range trip the rear tab on one side broke again and after the next trip I found the other rear tab to be broken as well. These range trips were nothing hard on the gun, just normal firing seated from the bench and firing from the shoulder while standing. It was clear that these were not going to hold up.

That is when I got set of 550 handguards from CO gun sales and sent them to DDLES to get them cut to size and the vent holes drilled along with one of their end caps. Been happy with them ever since.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#22]
looks like your off to a great start on your project

you can bake the cerakote at a lower temp for a longer period of time to cure it , the air dry cerakote is pretty good stuff also.  you might want to test it out first but i believe your dust covers can withstand the 200-225 degrees needed for a longer bake time.

keep the pics coming with your progress , i'm not a mod but i have to remind you that it's mandatory in a 556 build thread
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 4:22:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My experience with the MFI handguards was they they were too brittle. The Plastic seemed, like you said, air soft or toy quality. I gave them a try though. After the first couple trips to the range the two rear tabs that connect the upper and lower halves broke off. I contacted MFI and they were good about sending me a replacement set. Unfortunately after the next range trip the rear tab on one side broke again and after the next trip I found the other rear tab to be broken as well. These range trips were nothing hard on the gun, just normal firing seated from the bench and firing from the shoulder while standing. It was clear that these were not going to hold up.

That is when I got set of 550 handguards from CO gun sales and sent them to DDLES to get them cut to size and the vent holes drilled along with one of their end caps. Been happy with them ever since.
View Quote

I absolutely LOATHE these MFI handguards. I'm not even going to attempt to shoot the rifle with them attached. They feel like they are going to break just touching them, let alone subjecting them to recoil or heat.

I put them back on just to have something on the rifle for the time being but every time I grab the rifle to move it or look at it those cheap handguards rustle my jimmies. They are just so plasticky smooth, way too thin and have so much flex in them. They seriously are like something you'd find on a toy. If I can't find some DDLES handguards soon I'm just going to order that Samson rail kit so I can throw these MFI handguards in the garbage can.

I'd prefer not to have a rail but a quality rail beats out the playskool MFI hardguards and the potato US grips the thing originally had on it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 5:47:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Why not just buy a set of 550/PE90 handguards and cut them down yourself?

Quoted:

I absolutely LOATHE these MFI handguards. I'm not even going to attempt to shoot the rifle with them attached. They feel like they are going to break just touching them, let alone subjecting them to recoil or heat.

I put them back on just to have something on the rifle for the time being but every time I grab the rifle to move it or look at it those cheap handguards rustle my jimmies. They are just so plasticky smooth, way too thin and have so much flex in them. They seriously are like something you'd find on a toy. If I can't find some DDLES handguards soon I'm just going to order that Samson rail kit so I can throw these MFI handguards in the garbage can.

I'd prefer not to have a rail but a quality rail beats out the playskool MFI hardguards and the potato US grips the thing originally had on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/2/2014 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I must be the exception.  I have the MFI handguards on my factory 556 SBR and they have been fine for years.  I used to shoot it pretty often, don't shoot it as much since I got my Tavor...
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why not just buy a set of 550/PE90 handguards and cut them down yourself?
View Quote

I lack the necessary tools to cut and drill the handguards myself as well as a place to purchase said factory handguards in new or very good condition for less than a king's ransom. I have seen all of one set of 55 handguards for sale recently and they were beat to shit AND hyper expensive. (hyper expensive being a relative term)

I also lack the kehones to chop into several hundred dollar handguards myself with no prior experience or instructions. I'm crazy, but I'm not THAT crazy.

Then after it is all said and done I'd still be missing the fitted endcap. The MFI endcap is barely passable in my opinion and DDLES hasn't answered any of my emails, only leading me to believe their "issues" are true.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 8:10:31 PM EDT
[#27]
You guys are making he want to sell off my 551a1 upper to purchase a patrol upper. That SBR is going to be awesome.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 12:08:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Here is my 552 "clone" ...  P556 upper that I duracoated SIG GRAY.   And a Sig 551-A1 Lower.     Wish I had spent the extra $$$ on a real 55x lower that are showing up for fairly reasonable prices now. Those are the real deal hand Guards with DDLES cap.

The stock is currently off the lower until I get my Stamp.

Link Posted: 1/4/2014 12:11:27 AM EDT
[#29]
How do the real 552 handguards fit? Is there much rattle or looseness?
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 9:43:05 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

How do the real 552 handguards fit? Is there much rattle or looseness?
View Quote
No rattle at all. I also have a 551-a1 and the hand guards on that are loose and sloppy compared to the HG on my clone.

Link Posted: 1/4/2014 11:00:08 AM EDT
[#31]
I wonder why everyone keeps saying that real 552 handguards don't fit the 556 series correctly then... Was there anything you had to do? Did you have to shim them or are you using a transplant 552 barrel?
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 12:03:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I wonder why everyone keeps saying that real 552 handguards don't fit the 556 series correctly then... Was there anything you had to do? Did you have to shim them or are you using a transplant 552 barrel?
View Quote

they are 550 series handguards cut down to replicate 552 handguards , they're not cut down to 552 specs or they would be to short.   a 552 barrel will not thread into a 556 trunion.

COLT6721A3 --- on your 551-a1 you could run a bead of silicone around the inside front edge of the cap to tighten up the handguards , sort of like a swiss cap.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 12:49:07 PM EDT
[#33]
I assumed when he said "real deal" handguards he meant the actual Sig SAN 552 handguards as his appear to have the mounting holes for the rail kit. Every DDLES cutdown I've seen lacks those holes.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 6:34:20 PM EDT
[#34]
gotcha

technically they are "real deal" swiss 550 series handguards , just not 552 handguards

how do you all like your mfi flash hiders ?  i didn't really like the way it stepped up from the barrel diameter so i modded mine
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 9:03:48 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't have an issue with mine per se. I'm debating whether or not to keep it... a lot hinges on finding 552 handguards. If I can't find any decent handguards and I wind up going with the Samson rail then I'll probably just put an A2 on there or a YHM QD mount for my phantom. I figure if I'm off the reservation I might as well go off the reservation.

I'm also still waiting until my eform 1 comes back for the cutdown. It is yet to be seen if ADCO can replicate the flared crown or not. Without the flared end on the barrel it will change the look of the MFI flash hider.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 11:51:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Sorry .. by real deal I did mean SG 550 cut down hand guards .. not the MFI reproductions.    I bought the HG and retainer from a seller on a SIG Forum.   He did have DDLES do the cutting and drilling.    He had quite a bit of $$$ invested in these hand guards but his plans changed so I got a good deal on them.  I know DDLES charges $145 for the cutting and End Cap and you have to supply your own SG 550 handguard.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#37]
I've got probe droids all over the galaxy looking for DDLES 552 handguards right now, hopefully something comes back this month. I've also got a few folks at various shops around the country "seeing what they can drum up". I even emailed a few european suppliers looking for 550 and 551 handguards.

I'm actually kind of shocked how quickly I found a set of Aurora sights (despite the snow headed to me in the mail, so next week most likely I'll update my build with a new picture). Everyone equates the Aurora sights to unobtanium and yet it is these DDLES handguards that are proving to be that.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#38]
And suddenly there are like three original SAN 552 handguard sets for sale around the internet. All too short.

I think the world is mocking me.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Project update:

My Aurora sights were supposed to be delivered yesterday but my mailman decided to not even attempt to put anything in my mailbox. The reason I know is that I had outgoing mail in there (Netflix DVD) and it was still there and my flag was still up when I got home last night. "Attempted Delivery, Notice Left" my anus. Let's see if I get a less lazy mail carrier today.

I think I'm going to go with the Duracoat Sig 551 Gray Shake n Spray kit for refinishing the upper. I like the final color examples I've been seeing online and that route will not involve me sticking anything in my oven and possibly warping the rubber grommets. I figure if I fuck it up I can just pay more money to have a professional strip it all off and redo it with cerakote.

I'm going to order some of the MFI "Swiss look" takedown pins when they get back from Shot Show in a few weeks.

And the seemingly fruitless hunt for a set of DDLES 552 handguards continues. I had three different offers when I was looking for Aurora sights but these handguards have surpassed them in holy grail status it appears. I really, really, really don't want to have to buy a rail system or go back to the potato Sig USA handguards. So if anyone has some DDLES 552 handguards with matching cap let me know. I'm willing to pay.

Also thinking about getting a real SAN pistol grip. The Sig USA pistol grip has that goofy hinged door on it and the little axle nubs from the hinge stick out just far enough on the pistol grip to irritate my pinky finger. I just don't know if they are "fiddy dollars" irritating or not.

EDIT:

Perhaps someone can answer a question for me. Did Sig USA redesign their charging handle? Was it originally angled up similar to the SAN handles then they redesigned it to be straight out, or has it always been straight out?
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 1:45:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Yes, SIG changed the angle of the charging handle. Original one was bent slightly up but many had problems hitting their knuckles on their EOTech sights and the bases of their ACOG scopes. Any sight base that was fairly square and wide had problems. Later versions had the handle straight out. KZ made a bent down handle too.

The Swiss pistol grip can work on a 556, but not perfectly. The trigger guard on the 556 is more like an AR and the Swiss 55X trigger guard is a stamped piece. When a 55X grip is used on a 556, the bottom rear corners of the trigger guard ears leave a slightly exposed corner that some find irritating. I don't have a problem with it on my 556 and hardly notice, but just wanted to make sure you knew. The 556 grip has a small protrustion on the front to make it mate to the trigger guard and fill the gap that the 55X grip doesn't have.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 1:51:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Perhaps I would be better served getting out the old Xacto knife and just cutting down the little hinge nubs then, as it sounds like I would be trading one annoyance for possibly a different one.

Anyone know where a person might acquire one of those older angled handles?

I like my Manticore 552 handle but the straight 90 degree stuff just doesn't feel right to me... and I never plan to put optics on here outside of perhaps a Primary Arms micro once in a while.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#42]
My Aurora sights arrived today and I have to say that these sights make a MASSIVE difference in the look and the feel of the rifle. The cheekweld actually feels "right" with the Auroras, whereas it felt way too high with the Sig USA sights.

I found a set of the middle generation P556 handguards that are cut down 551A1 handguards with a cap, I'm waiting for those to arrive next week then I will replace the MFI set. If anyone wants the MFI set (even after my illustrious descriptions of them) IM me as I plan to sell them off.

Now I'm debating changing the lower again...

I'm thinking of getting one of the black 550/551 Swiss lowers from Colorado Gun Sales. I know it is some coin, but at this point I'm very hemm-haw about repainting my upper and the black color is growing on me. Plus with my inability to find DDLES 552 handguards I'm probably going to wind up going towards the 553 carbine clone angle with a Samson rail system rather than the 552 with handguards.

I do have two questions for those who would know though:

1) Do the Swiss 55X lowers that Colorado Gun Sales sell accept US made "Swiss" style folding stocks? If they do how is the lockup? Is it wobbly or is it fairly tight?

2) Is there much noticeable improvement with a real Swiss lower in the main key areas like trigger quality, upper to lower wobble, etc?
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 10:03:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Why not just strip and paint your current lower black to match the upper?
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Why not just strip and paint your current lower black to match the upper?
View Quote

Way too much hassle for me. I'm not a "painter"... I don't have the proper tools, skill or work area to be stripping and painting parts. I have one little work bench in my garage. Plus there are some parts on the 551A1 lower that I don't think I personally could properly disassemble for painting such as the mag release lever (it's rivet style pinned in place and you'd destroy the rivet taking it apart). And rather than pay someone 200 big boys plus the hassle of tracking down a replacement rivet to disassemble and repaint a US market 551A1 lower I'd rather just sell it and buy a real SAN lower that is already black, is more "correct" to the build I'm doing and will have a debatably better feel to it's components. I can easily stay under 922r on this build with a real SAN lower so I figure why not? It's only money...

Plus the SAN lowers just look sooooooo much better than the US market lowers IMO. I will admit that the 551A1 lower is a good "try" by Sig USA at replicating the SAN lowers but they are still kind of meh to me.

I have to admit that I am very much a tactile and "fit and finish" snob. It is a big reason why the MFI handguards irk me so much. This weekend I pulled them off and replaced them with a set of cut down Classic handguards with a retainer ring cap, and while these handguards are not "true" 552/3 they feel soooooo much better than the thin, toylike MFI handguards.

I'll update the thread with pics when my SAN lower comes in from cogunsales... which will be some time next week after they get back from SHOT show.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 10:05:18 AM EDT
[#45]
I picked up my black SAN lower this morning from the UPS hub, so tonight when I get home I'll get it installed with the SAN takedown pins and get another picture for the thread.

With this latest part I think my build is more or less as far as it is going to go until my eForm 1 comes back and until I can somehow manage to miracle find a set of the impossible to locate DDLES 552 handguards. It is kind of hilarious that if you google search for "DDLES 552 handguards" something like 40% of the returns you get are my posts everywhere looking for a set. And of course DDLES still has never responded to my questions. You'd think they'd at bare minimum answer one of my three emails with just a simple "no".
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I picked up my black SAN lower this morning from the UPS hub, so tonight when I get home I'll get it installed with the SAN takedown pins and get another picture for the thread.

With this latest part I think my build is more or less as far as it is going to go until my eForm 1 comes back and until I can somehow manage to miracle find a set of the impossible to locate DDLES 552 handguards. It is kind of hilarious that if you google search for "DDLES 552 handguards" something like 40% of the returns you get are my posts everywhere looking for a set. And of course DDLES still has never responded to my questions. You'd think they'd at bare minimum answer one of my three emails with just a simple "no".
View Quote

Have you tried sigarms556.com?

Sometimes they post over there.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 11:35:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Have you tried sigarms556.com?

Sometimes they post over there.
View Quote

I have a WTB ad over there that I've been updating. I have not seen DDLES post over there in a little while.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#48]

A day late but here nonetheless.

The finish is a gloss black, which sort of clashes with the dark flat gray of the 556 receiver.

I really prefer the Swiss SAN lower to the US made one. Everything on it just feels "slicker", if that is even a word. Magazines fit a little more snug and tilt in a little smoother. The geometry of the mag release lever is different, not necessarily better, just different. And a huge plus in my book the pistol grip feels better as it lacks the little annoying nubs that stick out.

The Swiss lower still has a little wobble in it like the US lower, but by adding a Zurich Wedge it is now rock solid.

The Swiss push button takedown pins I could take or leave... yes they are "correct", but they are kind of a pain to install and remove. They fit nice and snug and show zero signs of coming out tough.

Well, now begins the long delay for the eForm to come back. The next picture update will either be the barrel cutdown or the discovery of a set of DDLES handguards... if I could ever find the leprechaun that has the last remaining set on the planet earth that is.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Looks awesome in black buddy! My personal favorite. Good job.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 1:16:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Well, I have officially gone crazy.

I just put in an order for a set of black Swiss SG550 handguards from Rolf at Gunfactory. So when those arrive I have my friend's father, who is an airline machinst, to cut and drill them for me using the MFI set I have as a template. I'll most likely reuse my MFI handguard cap rather than trying to track down a real SAN cap by itself, the cosmetic difference between the real part and the MFI part are almost negligible. I'd consider trying to order a DDLES cap from their website but they never answered any of my emails so my confidence in ordering anything from them is pretty much zero right now.

So in a few weeks when the handguards arrive from Switzerland and then get machined I'll probably be posting updated pics. The upper is going out to Orion to be engraved this weekend then it is just the long wait for the eForm 1 to turn around for the last leg of this journey. Form was filed on 12/28 so if the 4 month turnaround time is still happening I should have approval by late April or early May, just in time for a lot of outdoor shooting in warm weather.

What a long, strange trip this has been...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top