Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/14/2014 3:53:19 PM EDT
Hey guys, I'm trying to get in the SBR game and I have a trade offer for an Adams Arms 7.5" PDW upper. I was initially wanting an 11.5" upper but I'm not entirely opposed to a PDW. My main concern is if it mainly a range toy, is a 7.5" going to be too brutal? Any feedback is appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 4:49:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Not with a can on it.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 6:23:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I LOVE my 7.5"........

The flame is about 2 feet long with XM193, and it literally rattles the entire indoor range.

That's with a PWS Triad flash hider on it.......I'm going to put a SureFire muzzle brake on it, and see what happens.

But to answer your question - "brutal" is a subjective term; I don't find it TOO bad, but others around me sometimes do.
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 10:35:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Personal opinion?  If you are going that short, go with a bigger bullet. 300blk does well in the 7-10 in barrels
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 5:53:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Personal opinion?  If you are going that short, go with a bigger bullet. 300blk does well in the 7-10 in barrels
View Quote

Two words.  Ammo price.  I am getting 5.56 for $0.35-40 / round and 300BLK for $1.00-1.50 / round.  Of course if you reload the gap is not nearly as severe.

That said, I followed the AR15.com mantra and got both.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 6:12:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Actually, I already have a 300blk and I reload for it. This question is just for. 5.56 upper.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 7:11:28 AM EDT
[#6]
It's going to be obnoxiously loud compared to what you're used to with any other AR you might have. With the right muzzle device though, I wouldn't call it brutal. Definitely a fun range toy if that is all you are looking for.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 7:45:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I don’t make any friends with my stock flash hider on my 7.25”.
However with a KX3 it’s about on par with the other ar’s.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 8:02:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Triad in the box at home I would try. Eventually I'd get/make a can, legally of course.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 7:43:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the AA 7.5" upper you are asking about. Yes its loud but its a great upper, accurate and reliable
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 8:58:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I really don't understand what all the fuss about "noise" is on these short AR's, but you see it on all the various forums.

The AR platform I started off with a 7" RRA pistol which I later SBRed.  Yes, it's a little louder than a 16" but I've never found it to be painful or annoying, even shooting it from a covered firing line at the range.  You should always be wearing decent ear protection anyway and if you are then it should not be an issue.  I've had tons of fun with mine and still do!!!  

In my opinion, go for the short upper.  It's easily manuveralby, accurate, a great conversation piece, and you can have a hell of a lot of fun with it!  

Link Posted: 3/16/2014 9:48:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I really don't understand what all the fuss about "noise" is on these short AR's, but you see it on all the various forums.

The AR platform I started off with a 7" RRA pistol which I later SBRed.  Yes, it's a little louder than a 16" but I've never found it to be painful or annoying, even shooting it from a covered firing line at the range.  You should always be wearing decent ear protection anyway and if you are then it should not be an issue.  I've had tons of fun with mine and still do!!!  

In my opinion, go for the short upper.  It's easily manuveralby, accurate, a great conversation piece, and you can have a hell of a lot of fun with it!  

View Quote
I'm not worried about the noise per se. I'm worried about getting punched in the face by concussion each time I pull the trigger.

Link Posted: 3/16/2014 10:14:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 2:43:00 PM EDT
[#13]
7.5 is sexy. After shooting it a 11.5 feels like a 16. As for being loud, they are but in a good way.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 4:51:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm not worried about the noise per se. I'm worried about getting punched in the face by concussion each time I pull the trigger.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

being the shooter you prob won't notice too much of a difference between a 7.5" and 11.5" , it will depend more on the muzzle device than barrel length.   my 11.5" with 2 port brake will clear a firing line much quicker than my 7" with a2

where in VA are you ?  i'm in nova close to the nra range.  i have a few sbr's in 5.56 with barrel length's from 7" to 13" your more than welcome to try before you buy if you would like.

Link Posted: 3/16/2014 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Concussion not an issue for me either.  Mine has the standard birdcage flash suppressor that came on it from the manufacturer.  I can honestly say that it's not an issue with me.  I can feel it a bit more than with the longer barrels but not to the point where it limits my desire to use it.  No regrets here.  

Link Posted: 3/17/2014 8:35:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
being the shooter you prob won't notice too much of a difference between a 7.5" and 11.5" , it will depend more on the muzzle device than barrel length.   my 11.5" with 2 port brake will clear a firing line much quicker than my 7" with a2

where in VA are you ?  i'm in nova close to the nra range.  i have a few sbr's in 5.56 with barrel length's from 7" to 13" your more than welcome to try before you buy if you would like.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I appreciate the offer but I'm in SWVA. Thanks for the input gents, I'm trading a Kimber Warrior for the entire pistol, with the AA upper, on Friday.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 5:55:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Put a Ranier Arms mini comp on it. One, single, large blast baffle on each side and 3 holes on top. It will singe your arm hair....on both arms....sometimes eyebrows.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 5:00:52 PM EDT
[#18]

This is my wife shooting the 7.5" upper.....Her favorite rifle.  Its also got an A2 FH on it.  For the shooter its no different than anything else, but for others around....the concussion is FUN
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 4:59:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Put a Ranier Arms mini comp on it. One, single, large blast baffle on each side and 3 holes on top. It will singe your arm hair....on both arms....sometimes eyebrows.
View Quote

How not to make friends at the range.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:06:55 PM EDT
[#20]
7.5" 556 uppers are cool if:

1.  You don't shoot at night

2.  You don't shoot indoors or at a covered range

3.  You don't care if your bullets expand/fragment as designed

4.  You have no plans to shoot next to anybody or take a carbine class

5.  If 6.5 - 7 inches of rail is enough for your shooting style

Link Posted: 3/21/2014 1:10:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
7.5" 556 uppers are cool if:

1.  You don't shoot at night

2.  You don't shoot indoors or at a covered range

3.  You don't care if your bullets expand/fragment as designed

4.  You have no plans to shoot next to anybody or take a carbine class

5.  If 6.5 - 7 inches of rail is enough for your shooting style

View Quote

7.5" uppers are great if:

1. You are at an indoor range that is really crowded with asshats.

2. If youre at an outdoor range with a guy shooting a 338 Lapua with a fat bastard brake and you want him to stop to see whats making all the noise.

3. You put a Pig on it, the fire balls are quite beautiful at night.

4. Nobody will want to shoot next to you, but everyone will want to run a mag through it.

5. its not your go to gun, but I guarantee no range trip is complete without it.

Link Posted: 3/21/2014 5:52:33 AM EDT
[#22]
^^^^  Fair enough, but the OP was asking about the PRACTICALITY of a 7.5" upper.

I suppose these are fun in small intervals.  I, however, used to run a 10.5" with a muzzle brake (no suppressor) and hated shooting it.

And if you're going to add the weight and length of a KX3/KX5, might as well turn those ounces and inches into something productive like extra barrel length, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 6:14:45 AM EDT
[#23]
^Thats the problem iceman, you had a muzzle brake on your 10.5".  I've been waiting on a supressor so I've been shooting one if my 10.5" barrels with a comp, and it's not bad at all, I would assume a flash hider would be even better.  The point is that the 10.5" is a trusted barrel length, based on the military's use.  The 7.5" on the other hand is a nice range toy/accessory to a longer sbr.  It's not a good idea to mount a can on a barrel that short, so that's out, and I would not want to fire it inside a building
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 7:47:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
^Thats the problem iceman, you had a muzzle brake on your 10.5".  I've been waiting on a supressor so I've been shooting one if my 10.5" barrels with a comp, and it's not bad at all, I would assume a flash hider would be even better.  The point is that the 10.5" is a trusted barrel length, based on the military's use.  The 7.5" on the other hand is a nice range toy/accessory to a longer sbr.  It's not a good idea to mount a can on a barrel that short, so that's out, and I would not want to fire it inside a building
View Quote

I think I've met you at Highrock before.  Next time I'll make sure to stand next to your Mk18 & 7.5" uppers while you shoot and I'll reassess.

I run 11.5's with FH and suppressors, so I'm not opposed to SBRs, I just don't see the point in going below a 10.3/10.5 on a 5.56.  It's still a free country, so have at it.  Just chiming in with my thoughts.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 12:21:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd have to say 10.5'' or longer.  7.5's have no place in practical land for a ton of reasons.  If you like loud noises and flashes and your sinuses cleared then go for it.  I akin the 7.5's to people with straight pipes and goofy exhaust setups on trucks.  If you're the type of person that likes making black clouds come out of your truck you'll probably like 7.5's.  ..stay classy.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 12:41:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 8:56:03 PM EDT
[#27]
How the hell did this guy know I have a 7.5 and straight pipes?
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 3:44:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I shoot at an outdoor range and the people I shoot with already have AR pistols so I'm not worried about annoying anyone. It's isnt going to be my go to gun, just a range toy. After submitting and having my paperwork OK'd I can always go to a longer barrel like 11.5" for a more practical weapon in an all-around sense. I ended up getting the pistol last night and got rid of the stupid zombie lower and got a Spike's Calico lower. The lady marked it as a pistol on my 4473 which I guess won't make a difference on my paperwork. Va law apparently requires it be marked as a rifle or pistol on the paperwork.

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Va law apparently requires it be marked as a rifle or pistol on the paperwork.  
View Quote

You sure about that?
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
You sure about that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You sure about that?
Nope, I'm not and i haven't had time to research the issue. I figured they were listed as "other," but according to the lady doing the filing the VSP wants to know what it's going to be. They have only asked me twice when buying lowers if it was for a pistol or rifle, this being the second time. A 4473 isn't registration so I'm not worried about it. Even if it turns out against my favor I'll still have an extra lower hangin' around

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 6:30:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Nope, I'm not and i haven't had time to research the issue. I figured they were listed as "other," but according to the lady doing the filing the VSP wants to know what it's going to be. They have only asked me twice when buying lowers if it was for a pistol or rifle, this being the second time. A 4473 isn't registration so I'm not worried about it. Even if it turns out against my favor I'll still have an extra lower hangin' around  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sure about that?

I dont think it would matter.  As long as it was a pistol first, it can always be turned into a rifle.  Not the other way around, so you should be all set there.  

What you described as your intended use is perfect.  You'll have fun with it, and like you said, its not your GOTO gun, so just enjoy it.....you certainly will!

If everyone had a 7.5" upper they'd be praising it for what it is also.  It seems that most guys who knock them have only been near one being fired
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I dont think it would matter.  As long as it was a pistol first, it can always be turned into a rifle.  Not the other way around, so you should be all set there.  

What you described as your intended use is perfect.  You'll have fun with it, and like you said, its not your GOTO gun, so just enjoy it.....you certainly will!

If everyone had a 7.5" upper they'd be praising it for what it is also.  It seems that most guys who knock them have only been near one being fired
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You sure about that?

I'm anxious to get out and shoot it. Everyone was like, "whoa, that's loud," When I put a FCS 556 on my 14.5" (pinned) upper. They're in for a surprise next range trip.

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 8:02:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Base don my research I think my pistol build will be a 10.3"-10.5"

7.5 has too many quirks for me.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 7:48:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s14.photobucket.com/user/k2enemy84/media/Guns%20and%20such/E58D5296-02EE-470E-823F-07D7A6980BAE_zpshhu2ji0i.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a335/k2enemy84/Guns%20and%20such/E58D5296-02EE-470E-823F-07D7A6980BAE_zpshhu2ji0i.jpg</a>
View Quote

very nice

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 8:12:32 PM EDT
[#36]
With the Black Hills 50 gr TSX 5.56 load you'll get good, reliable expansion from a 7.5" barrel out to 65 yards or so. I personally think that turns a 5.56 PDW from a novelty/fun gun to a legitimate defensive weapon for certain applications.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#37]
I just picked up 3 X 8-8.5" barreled SBRs in 5.56,300BLK, and 6.8SPCii.  Little guns like these are like crack.

Spikes ST Compressors in 5.56 and 300BLK (8.1") - the 5.56 is due to be released from NFA jail this week (already approved), the 300BLK is just beginning transfer process soon

LWRC 6.8SPCii UCIW (8.5") - currently in transfer from Modern Outfitters

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 8:28:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
With the Black Hills 50 gr TSX 5.56 load you'll get good, reliable expansion from a 7.5" barrel out to 65 yards or so. I personally think that turns a 5.56 PDW from a novelty/fun gun to a legitimate defensive weapon for certain applications.
View Quote

Yep, although I would be that virtually no 7.5" AR owner runs these.  Alternatively, I'd be okay with an 8" version of this.

Link Posted: 3/26/2014 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yep, although I would be that virtually no 7.5" AR owner runs these.  Alternatively, I'd be okay with an 8" version of this.

http://truthaboutguns-zippykid.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/IMG_1797r-900x675.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://truthaboutguns-zippykid.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/IMG_1797r-900x675.jpg

Actually both of my home defense short ARs are loaded with BH 50gr TSX. Though these days they are 11.5 and 12.5 inch barrels. But when I kept a 7.5 SBR in my truck loaded with the same ammo I was confident with its terminal performance at reasonable self defense ranges based on my experience shooting pigs with the same gun with the same ammo. At legitimate PDW ranges as defined by what you can reasonably expect a jury to buy I would not have have a problem trusting a 7.5 inch .556 and proven ammo. You're going to get roasted by a jury if you engage anyone beyond a few yards in the bulk of the circumstances that lethal force can be reasonably used anyway. And that's coming from someone in super-lenient parish in a very lenient state. I live on 300 acres but short of defending against hostile looters at stand off range in a hurricane from a legal standpoint a 7.5 with decent ammo will get the job done. I have bigger calibers for anything else.

RC
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 10:52:21 PM EDT
[#40]
so this is just my .02, as i am getting my form 1 in order to build a 7.5 myself, there's a lot of people that keep calling the pdw more of a fun gun and not something they would depend on, and carry on about expansion and fragmentation etc. but bottom line is, does anyone want to get hit with any projectile moving at 2300-2400fps? i'm going to go with no, maybe even hell no, especially because there's 29 more where the first one came from. also, IMO, it depends on the ammo you run through it, i plan to run m193 in mine at the range, and some lighter weight stuff for personal protection, i believe someone mentioned  black hills 50 gr, and Hornady has some TAP urban that's 40 gr( i don't know if the TAP is available to civilians) buts it, to me is the same as what you do with your everyday carry gun, shoot bulk fmj at the range, but you don't carry it for protection, you get something designed for personal protection. i think the size vs effective distance vs damage of a 7.5 is an easy decision for me, and it would be practical to have in my truck at all times, and in the big picture, 99% of us only use our stuff at the range or hunting. i only plan on using mine from the 50-100 yd mark, more towards the 50.

again just my rant and opinion

also, ive done a bit of research, almost made it to the end of the internet, but most anything only talks about expansion and fragmentation when they talk about short ar's, but what about tumble? does the 556 still tumble at the slower speeds?

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 1:03:05 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

so this is just my .02, as i am getting my form 1 in order to build a 7.5 myself, there's a lot of people that keep calling the pdw more of a fun gun and not something they would depend on, and carry on about expansion and fragmentation etc. but bottom line is, does anyone want to get hit with any projectile moving at 2300-2400fps? i'm going to go with no, maybe even hell no, especially because there's 29 more where the first one came from. also, IMO, it depends on the ammo you run through it, i plan to run m193 in mine at the range, and some lighter weight stuff for personal protection, i believe someone mentioned  black hills 50 gr, and Hornady has some TAP urban that's 40 gr( i don't know if the TAP is available to civilians) buts it, to me is the same as what you do with your everyday carry gun, shoot bulk fmj at the range, but you don't carry it for protection, you get something designed for personal protection. i think the size vs effective distance vs damage of a 7.5 is an easy decision for me, and it would be practical to have in my truck at all times, and in the big picture, 99% of us only use our stuff at the range or hunting. i only plan on using mine from the 50-100 yd mark, more towards the 50.

also, ive done a bit of research, almost made it to the end of the internet, but most anything only talks about expansion and fragmentation when they talk about short ar's, but what about tumble? does the 556 still tumble at the slower speeds?

View Quote
I agree, I'd hate to be hit with even a .22 short. I hand load all of my ammo so making some PDW specific defensive rounds shouldn't be too difficult anyhow. I ordered a Sig brace and I got the ball rolling with my F-I-L about setting up a trust. NFA land, here I come!

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 2:45:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I agree, I'd hate to be hit with even a .22 short. I hand load all of my ammo so making some PDW specific defensive rounds shouldn't be too difficult anyhow. I ordered a Sig brace and I got the ball rolling with my F-I-L about setting up a trust. NFA land, here I come!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good man! The AR pistol is just a stepping stone for most, which I'd recommend personally.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Good man! The AR pistol is just a stepping stone for most, which I'd recommend personally.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you, Sir! It was my intention to force myself into a SBR by getting the pistol.

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 6:59:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Some of these arguments are just plain shyt. You guys are telling me that a 10.5 is way more quiet than a 7.5? I call BS on that one. Also that the 7.5 is a range toy? So no one thinks that a 55gr soft point will do damage out of a 7.5? If i shoot a 7.5 or a 16 indoors, my ears will be ringing for weeks regardless.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 8:33:31 PM EDT
[#45]
My PWS Diablo is smooth shooting and accurate.  The CQB Comp throws all of the concussion forward, and it has minimal flash during daylight.  It's about the size of an MP5 with the stock collapsed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 4:56:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Actually both of my home defense short ARs are loaded with BH 50gr TSX. Though these days they are 11.5 and 12.5 inch barrels. But when I kept a 7.5 SBR in my truck loaded with the same ammo I was confident with its terminal performance at reasonable self defense ranges based on my experience shooting pigs with the same gun with the same ammo. At legitimate PDW ranges as defined by what you can reasonably expect a jury to buy I would not have have a problem trusting a 7.5 inch .556 and proven ammo. You're going to get roasted by a jury if you engage anyone beyond a few yards in the bulk of the circumstances that lethal force can be reasonably used anyway. And that's coming from someone in super-lenient parish in a very lenient state. I live on 300 acres but short of defending against hostile looters at stand off range in a hurricane from a legal standpoint a 7.5 with decent ammo will get the job done. I have bigger calibers for anything else.

RC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

RC

THIS !!!  
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 4:56:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

...... AND THIS !!!!  
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 4:59:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Some of these arguments are just plain shyt. You guys are telling me that a 10.5 is way more quiet than a 7.5? I call BS on that one. Also that the 7.5 is a range toy? So no one thinks that a 55gr soft point will do damage out of a 7.5? If i shoot a 7.5 or a 16 indoors, my ears will be ringing for weeks regardless.
View Quote

...  and by God THIS TOO !!!!!!    

7.5 Rules in many aspects.  Not just a range toy but a "git ur done gun" to !
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:59:14 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm obviously outnumbered.  Enjoy your flash machines
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 6:30:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'm obviously outnumbered.  Enjoy your flash machines
View Quote

Got a little angry in here didnt it

The 7.5" is a great upper.  But if I had to run out of my house in a SHTF situation it would be the last rifle I'd personally grab.  Theres no doubt in my mind that a 5.56 round coming out of a 7.5" barrel would do major damage, and I certainly wouldnt want to be on the receiving end, no matter which type of ammo is being used.  The day the military is using 5.56 in 7.5" barrels is the day that I'll change my opinion.

One other point I'll bring up is that a 7.5" upper is brutal compared to longer uppers, no matter how manly you are. (I'm not talking about sound levels) My aimpoint Comp M2 works flawlessly on any length upper, aside from a 7.5" upper with a FA BCG and an H buffer.  The aimpoint literally turns off then back on almost every round that is fired; the recoil is just too much for it.  I then put the aimpoint on a 10.5" upper and no problems at all.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top