Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

New Holosun IRIS VCSEL (Page 7 of 9)
Page / 9
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 7:09:33 AM EDT
[#1]
The hive of villainy & scum that is Reddit (kidding, kinda) got holosun go respond & they noted that production units should be out next month.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NightVision/comments/1dzdiaf/holosun_iris_news/?sort=old
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 7:12:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting.  Hope thats true.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 7:18:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 8:15:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Do we know if these things are any good?
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By UndrGrndPrdcts:
Do we know if these things are any good?
View Quote
+1.  has anyone gotten a production sample to see if they are better than what was reported at shot show?
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 1:40:27 AM EDT
[#6]
The latest update on the IRIS, via Holosun Josh. This was posed 3 days ago:

We wanted to make some adjustments to the switches after getting feedback from a few people. New samples just arrived so I have some testing to do this week. Pending these are good to go, I expect to see production units next month.
View Quote

I'll have more info on specs later as we get closer to release.

The goal is to make this the best IR illuminator we can from 10-25 yards on the widest beam pattern, and then when you focus it in, you can reach out to 100-250 yards.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 12:27:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 8:33:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Holosun IRIS Update: Switches by Holosun_Josh
Click to see the new (final?) switch layout.

We listened to feedback from the community regarding the digital button system we had previously shown at Shot Show and have updated the overall design to a much simpler dual switch system.

There is more testing to be done this week but we are nearing the finish line and are excited to get these into peoples hands here soon.

MODES:

1. Visible Green Laser
2. Infrared Illuminator
3. Infrared Laser
4. Infrared Laser + Infrared Illuminator

POWER:

1. Off
2. Low
3. High
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 8:36:28 AM EDT
[#9]
What is the likelihood that these will perform better/be a better option than a SG ngal clone?
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 9:40:46 AM EDT
[#10]
What is the likelihood that these will perform better/be a better option than a SG ngal clone?
View Quote

We'll find out in the next few months.

If anything, look up reviews on the other Holosun units.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 9:58:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By WTFShane:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

They pretty much all suck, power wise. I thought this one was supposed to be better.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 10:06:11 AM EDT
[#12]

They pretty much all suck, power wise. I thought this one was supposed to be better.
View Quote
well it's using VCSEL tech so it "should" be better than their other offerings unless they neuter it.  All other VCSEL tech being used by companies are pretty darn good.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote
Unless I missed it, we're still waiting for the official civilian version IR illuminator output specs. Seems like something they could release... any time.

I'm a little worried they are hoping to get the pre-orders going before dropping the photos/specs of what the civilian version looks like and everyone realizes it's just a DBAL A3 that costs the same as a DBAL A3 did originally.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 1:17:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 1:36:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Daggertt] [#15]
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:
As of Steiner a few days ago-   DBAL-A3 MAP price (minimum advertised price) $1724. MSRP $1864. with a much lower dealer margin than in previous years.

So DOUBLE what the Iris is going for.
View Quote

you missed the part where I said "costs the same as the DBAL A3 did originally". Although I guess that's not entirely true. They started off around $1200, but then they dropped significantly.

I picked one up in 2017 new for $899 from DSG Arms.

There were plenty of vendors with sub $1000 prices on the DBAL A3 in the past. I'm not talking about some black friday deal either. edit to clarify: I'm also not talking about the I2. I'm talking about the A3 with IR illum/IR laser/Green vis + override port.

Either way, the DBAL A3's performance wasn't worth $899 back in 2017. I sold it for what I paid. I certainly wouldn't spend that on a Chinese laser with the same performance, regardless of what current batshit crazy MAP Steiner has put the A3.

Ah and here's a screenshot I found from an old conversation with a buddy who was looking for one. More than I paid but still sub $1000.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/18/2024 2:03:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lowdown3] [#16]
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 2:04:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 3:23:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Yeah  we gave away A3s "back in the day" also when they were cheap. Before they dropped them altogether, Steiner had raised MAP on a frickin OTAL-C to $950. which was a helluva far cry from 2016'ish "Trump slump" prices of around $300. !!!

Hell, I remember sub $.75 a gallon gas in the late 80's , but I don't think we are going to see that again also.
View Quote
2017 isn't the 80s.

I didn't say DBALs cost $900 today.

None of your posts convince me that the product you're preselling will be worth $900 if it offers the same performance as a DBAL A3 - ie. shitty IR illum (like what we saw from the IRIS at SHOT, which everyone is hoping was due to a drained battery)

If I want shitty IR illum in a solid form factor, I can get a TLR VIR2 for $300.

If I want a good IR illum in a chinesium but still metal form factor, I can get a somogear NGAL for $450.

There are also quite a few newer chinese options on the market for about the same price that offer better performance.

Then there are the newer VCSEL options for a few hundred more than the IRIS that offer much better performance.

Just saying, everyone, including me, is excited for the Holosun IRIS but ONLY IF it offers the performance they are teasing, and what we all saw from SHOT show videos of the FP model, which was initially reported to be video of the civilian model, so everyone got super excited, then the actual civilian one sucked, and they said it was a weak battery but also they'd be reconfiguring it "in response to the market"... which they've done for the buttons, so we're waiting to see about the performance.

If it's awesome, these will be the go-to IR LAM and Holosun won't be able to make them fast enough.

If not, then sales will drop off a cliff after reviews hit.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 3:49:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 4:06:43 PM EDT
[#20]

OK, couple things-

Never said you said A3's were $900. now. But I believe everyone past the age of 4 understands that prices have increased on everything in the last few years. Hence hanging on to old prices and basing your "debate" around yesterday is worthless.

Sometimes people say they "want" a lower priced item and they buy in the hopes that somehow they will get a helluva lot more than what they paid for the item in performance, etc. Other people realize if they quote "want the best" that you are going to pay more for the "best" or close thereof. There is a price/performance paradigm on all things. I don't like that and most people don't, but that's the reality of it.

It's just like people getting all amped about the XLS tube units a few years ago. They were (and remain) the lowest grade of tubes Elbit makes, what others called the "bottom of the barrel". FOM levels starting at 1344 and tons of spots allowed in ALL zones. They were (back then) a lot cheaper priced tubes- wait for it, those low grade tubes have increased in price about $500. per tube since 2020 also.  A lot of people bought those low grade tubes and MOST realized "hey, I'm buying a shit grade, I'm not expecting much."  Others however, bought the shit grade instead of spending a little more and then bitched about it when they got the shit grade they paid for. They were popular here for a while, and we sold them also for a short period of time with a helluva large disclaimer saying essentially "this is a low grade tube, if you want better look at other options."  We stopped selling them largely because of the fact that even with that disclaimer, even with telling people the same thing on the phone, we had that 1 in 100 guy that expected he was going to get the equivalent of a VH grade tube for a shit grade tube price.  

Everything needs to be considered in lieu of price, and today's price, not yesteryears, that's not realistic.

View Quote
Look man, you've got a product to sell, I get it.

But don't try to sell me shit and tell me it's sugar.

Your thesis at this point is essentially, "even if it's got the crappy illumination we're all hoping it doesn't, it will still be a good deal because prices have increased on everything over the years."

Sorry, I'm still not buying it (literally). If it sucks, it sucks, and $900 is too much for a sucky holosun to gain any real traction. I mean, they already have a bunch of those and the only people that buy them are the ones that don't watch youtube videos or read online forums to learn they suck before wasting their money on them.

I know you have a great reputation around here, and I've never dealt with you, but you're coming on strong in this thread in defense of something that we're all speculating about, that you just happen to be selling, trying to gaslight us about how even if it's crappy, it's worth it. Maybe it's just me, but it gives me a bad taste.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 4:17:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 4:26:55 PM EDT
[#22]

No worries man. And trust me, I'm not trying to "sell you."

And let's be frank- you are "coming on strong" in a thread where you are basically saying if it doesn't shoot rainbows out it's arse and cost $50. then it's not worth it. Making a joke so don't go off more  

If it's not for you, then it's not for you.

What sucks is Steiner has basically shown they have no interest in a low cost IR laser, several other places have tried to attempt similar things in a similar price range, some have gone out of business, some gave up, some never frickin came to fruition.  I would absolutely piss myself to get Steiner's back to a reasonable price range, we sold the living shit out of them for years, but I doubt it will happen.

For the current price situation on IR lasers, this looks to be a good option but I think expecting D2 LIKE performance for the price is unrealistic.

No worries partner Be safe.
View All Quotes

No worries man. And trust me, I'm not trying to "sell you."

And let's be frank- you are "coming on strong" in a thread where you are basically saying if it doesn't shoot rainbows out it's arse and cost $50. then it's not worth it. Making a joke so don't go off more  

If it's not for you, then it's not for you.

What sucks is Steiner has basically shown they have no interest in a low cost IR laser, several other places have tried to attempt similar things in a similar price range, some have gone out of business, some gave up, some never frickin came to fruition.  I would absolutely piss myself to get Steiner's back to a reasonable price range, we sold the living shit out of them for years, but I doubt it will happen.

For the current price situation on IR lasers, this looks to be a good option but I think expecting D2 LIKE performance for the price is unrealistic.

No worries partner Be safe.

That's what you get out of this, huh?

Unless I missed it, we're still waiting for the official civilian version IR illuminator output specs. Seems like something they could release... any time.

I'm a little worried they are hoping to get the pre-orders going before dropping the photos/specs of what the civilian version looks like and everyone realizes it's just a DBAL A3 that costs the same as a DBAL A3 did originally.

weak "it was just a joke" disclaimer notwithstanding, you're clearly the one escalating this conversation.

I offered a very tepid and reserved observation with a comment about what I'm "a little worried about" to the group of us here who are waiting with bated breath to see what the final product looks like.

And then you jump in to fact check prices that aren't the point in defense of the product you're literally announcing for preorder. I realize that my comment might dissuade people from preordering... from you... so it's not a mystery why you feel the need to jump in and set the record straight.

I just wish I could discuss this crap with peers without having to contend with non-neutral vendors who have skin in the game.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I have known Lowdown 3 for a long time.  Trained with him.  Broken bread with him.  He isn't pimping something out just because he sells it; he sells stuff he believes to be worth buying.  And he usually gives you a pretty good deal to boot.  I didn't read into his posts what you were trying to say, as far as it's still worth 1K even if it's got shitty illum.  The way I took it was: we're hoping this thing is going to be what their saying it will be, and that's a pretty good deal at 1K.  OK, there's some risk here, so you either pre-order, or you don't.  If he's taking a chance on it, that's good enough for me.  But you do you.

I think he made a valid point, in that at today's prices, your argument about the DBAL doesn't hold water.  If you had to buy something right now, you have to compare prices today, not years ago.  

You made a good point, in that Holosun illum has been pretty anemic to date.  And the preview of their IRIS wasn't exactly awe-inspiring.

But I'm willing to take a chance on it.  Only one way to find out.  

Link Posted: 7/18/2024 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Diz:
I have known Lowdown 3 for a long time.  Trained with him.  Broken bread with him.  He isn't pimping something out just because he sells it; he sells stuff he believes to be worth buying.  And he usually gives you a pretty good deal to boot.  I didn't read into his posts what you were trying to say, as far as it's still worth 1K even if it's got shitty illum.  The way I took it was: we're hoping this thing is going to be what their saying it will be, and that's a pretty good deal at 1K.  OK, there's some risk here, so you either pre-order, or you don't.  If he's taking a chance on it, that's good enough for me.  But you do you.

I think he made a valid point, in that at today's prices, your argument about the DBAL doesn't hold water.  If you had to buy something right now, you have to compare prices today, not years ago.  

You made a good point, in that Holosun illum has been pretty anemic to date.  And the preview of their IRIS wasn't exactly awe-inspiring.

View All Quotes

just because you know the guy doesn't mean you need to white knight him.

He literally pontificated over several posts about how people hope for better quality than they are willing to pay for and need to just accept the reality of the "price/performance paradigm" ie. you get what you pay for. and then provided several examples of times people bought shitty stuff like XLS tubes only to be disappointed because they performed at their price point and they had false hope for better performance than what they paid for. In other words, stop hoping for more IR illuminator performance than what you should expect for $900.

And holy fuck you guys, I didn't say "I can get a DBAL A3 for $900, so it should be better than that."

I said that the fact that the performance data hasn't been released yet, "makes me a little worried" that people will buy it only to discover that the performance is NOT better than the A3, it just costs what an A3 used to.

I also didn't tell anyone to not preorder anything. I literally just expressed minor concern about what t looks to me like they might be doing, seeing that they clearly have the mW of the illuminator nailed down but don't seem interested in sharing that publicly even though they're opening up preorders through vendors.

Diz I'm surprised that you aren't championing the "price/performance paradigm" of the Somogear stuff like you do in all the other threads around here (which I agree with by the way), that suggests the price/performance value of a $450 somogear NGAL would be higher than a $900 holosun equivalent of a DBAL A3.

Obviously if the IRIS blows all the old civilian stuff out of the water for $900, everyone with NODS will get one or three. Myself included. I'm just saying that if it's A3 performance I don't see the $900 value and I don't think the market will either.

Literally nothing I'm saying is controversial unless you're a vendor who is thinking about his bottom line. For the rest of us, it's just speculation and discussion about stuff that interests us. Which is what we're here to do.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 10:26:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey man I get it, you don't know the dude, so you're sort of going off on him.  I'm just saying I know him and he's not like that, FWIW.  If we were all sitting down at the pub, quaffing some brews, I guarantee we'd all be smokin' and jokin'.  That's the problem with this shit.  You look at the written word and see it a different way than maybe it was intended.  

On SG, for sure man, you know I have been having fun with them.  But honestly, I'm looking hard at getting several of these IRIS's to replace them.  I've said that if SG, IS, or whoever could ever make one of these motherfuckers that functions, is waterproof, and has a decent mount, I'm there.  If Holosun wants to jump in here and make that happen, I'm down with it.  I'll even give up the form factor of my favorites to have the increased functionality.

So yeah what's it gonna look like.  Dunno but I'm gonna take a shot at it.  Just like I did with SG, IS, and SOTAC.  

Link Posted: 7/19/2024 1:07:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Hey man I get it, you don't know the dude, so you're sort of going off on him.  I'm just saying I know him and he's not like that, FWIW.  If we were all sitting down at the pub, quaffing some brews, I guarantee we'd all be smokin' and jokin'.  That's the problem with this shit.  You look at the written word and see it a different way than maybe it was intended.  

On SG, for sure man, you know I have been having fun with them.  But honestly, I'm looking hard at getting several of these IRIS's to replace them.  I've said that if SG, IS, or whoever could ever make one of these motherfuckers that functions, is waterproof, and has a decent mount, I'm there.  If Holosun wants to jump in here and make that happen, I'm down with it.  I'll even give up the form factor of my favorites to have the increased functionality.

So yeah what's it gonna look like.  Dunno but I'm gonna take a shot at it.  Just like I did with SG, IS, and SOTAC.  

View Quote
So you're saying (blind prepurchase aside) if the iris ends up offering the same anemic illuminator output as the a3 or any of the other holosun offerings, you'll be buying several of them to replace the somogear etc stuff you have?

Or is that only if they have an illuminator that's better than the current civilian offerings?  

Link Posted: 7/19/2024 6:53:15 AM EDT
[#27]
It seems hard to believe that Holosun would go to the trouble of fixing their switches and ignore the number one ask of good VCSEL illumination. I mean, nothing's impossible, but they seem to have received the message loud and clear.

If these things don't suck, I'm definitely down for at least a couple to run on more serious use guns.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#28]

OK, couple things-

Never said you said A3's were $900. now. But I believe everyone past the age of 4 understands that prices have increased on everything in the last few years. Hence hanging on to old prices and basing your "debate" around yesterday is worthless.

Sometimes people say they "want" a lower priced item and they buy in the hopes that somehow they will get a helluva lot more than what they paid for the item in performance, etc. Other people realize if they quote "want the best" that you are going to pay more for the "best" or close thereof. There is a price/performance paradigm on all things. I don't like that and most people don't, but that's the reality of it.

It's just like people getting all amped about the XLS tube units a few years ago. They were (and remain) the lowest grade of tubes Elbit makes, what others called the "bottom of the barrel". FOM levels starting at 1344 and tons of spots allowed in ALL zones. They were (back then) a lot cheaper priced tubes- wait for it, those low grade tubes have increased in price about $500. per tube since 2020 also.  A lot of people bought those low grade tubes and MOST realized "hey, I'm buying a shit grade, I'm not expecting much."  Others however, bought the shit grade instead of spending a little more and then bitched about it when they got the shit grade they paid for. They were popular here for a while, and we sold them also for a short period of time with a helluva large disclaimer saying essentially "this is a low grade tube, if you want better look at other options."  We stopped selling them largely because of the fact that even with that disclaimer, even with telling people the same thing on the phone, we had that 1 in 100 guy that expected he was going to get the equivalent of a VH grade tube for a shit grade tube price.  

Everything needs to be considered in lieu of price, and today's price, not yesteryears, that's not realistic.

View Quote

Hey now, Robert, my shit grade BNVDs that you sold me were absolutely amazing!  Maybe a couple of blems, but I’ve used .gov issued trash that was far worse. I guess I gambled and won for once.

For the record, I have an IRIS on pre-order with you and can’t wait to see its performance. Keep pushing new products that help us “normal” folks out.

Link Posted: 7/19/2024 1:24:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Obviously, if the IRIS comes out and it's weak sauce it will have basically #$%* the bed and nobody will want it.  It's illuminator output is going to have to be pretty darn close at least to the RAID Xe and Chinese NGALs or I'll just wait for the Zbolt ACAL to come out.  I have a bit more confidence that the Zbolt ACAL will not disappoint (provided it's not just vapor wear).  

I'll tell ya though, I don't think we're going to see the EOTech OGL on the civilian market either this year or even next at this point.  

Link Posted: 7/19/2024 4:33:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Yeah I mean I will get at least one on pre-order and then if it at least meets my SG NGAL, then I'll probably start buying more.  

I agree; I don't think Holosun is that fucking stupid; to come out with this big build up and then screw the pooch.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 5:02:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Daggertt] [#32]
Yeah I mean I will get at least one on pre-order and then if it at least meets my SG NGAL, then I'll probably start buying more.  

I agree; I don't think Holosun is that fucking stupid; to come out with this big build up and then screw the pooch.
View Quote
fingers definitely crossed!

eta. if these perform on par with an SG, then that blows dedicated "civilian" lams out of the water. I have an SG PEQ and it's performance is miles beyond what I was getting from the DBAL A3.

That's what everyone is hoping for on these.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 10:07:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Daggertt:
fingers definitely crossed!

eta. if these perform on par with an SG, then that blows dedicated "civilian" lams out of the water. I have an SG PEQ and it's performance is miles beyond what I was getting from the DBAL A3.

That's what everyone is hoping for on these.
View Quote

If you're referring to the class 1 DBAL, there's the obvious reason why the Chinese units are brighter.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 11:50:51 PM EDT
[#34]

If you're referring to the class 1 DBAL, there's the obvious reason why the Chinese units are brighter.
View Quote
Obviously.

This is why everyone is holding their breath on the iris to know if the illuminator ends up looking like the standard class 1 trash or if with the vcsel, it ends up looking closer to the unrestricted Chinese stuff but with a better construction quality and pedigree.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 8:10:31 AM EDT
[#35]
That's it right there for me.  Although Holosun's IR illum has been traditionally anemic, overall I like the direction they're going, and use several of their products, especially their micro red dot sights.  We've seen steady improvement from them in other areas; I am hoping their IR illum makes a huge leap here as well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 10:14:53 AM EDT
[#36]
The focusable part of the illuminator is equally important to just the distance.

Primarily I want an illuminator that can flood nicely for close in work, but even close in I have to be able to have the option to narrowly focus the illuminator when I've got high humidity or white out snow conditions. Overcoming some ambient light or photonic barriers would be nice and that is going to take some power to do.  So, for the power and focus that I want with an illuminator the increase to  effective range should just follow anyways.

I like the looks of the ergonomics of the slider for the focus (provided it's not too loose or doesn't work itself too loose).  Being able to shift from flood to narrow focus quickly is really damn nice.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2024 10:22:00 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

Yeah, I have a decent opinion of Holosun, they don't seem like the kind of company to go to the trouble of doing VCSEL only to give us a laser unit that's just on par with what they're already cranking out.  IF they do though, well that sucks and I'll wait for the ZBolt ACAL or just be happy with the Chinese stuff.

RAID Xe is coming slightly down in price, but is still well over $3K.  If Wilcox or if Eotech with their OGL ever got them down to around $2,000 I'd consider them, but I'm still determined that I'm not going to spend more for a damn laser illuminator than I did for my PVS14.  To me a laser illuminator shouldn't be more than half of what a PVS14 with a Gen 3 tube costs.  Frankly, it's pretty damn odd that these laser illuminators cost more than a damn good gaming PC right now.  Feel like the tax payer is being ripped off and we consumers get ripped off as a consequence of the companies wanting to rip off the tax payers. So, if you're a consumer of laser illuminators you get ripped off twice, once as a tax payer and once as a buyer.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2024 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Daggertt:
if these perform on par with an SG, then that blows dedicated "civilian" lams out of the water.
View Quote

While I don't think you were expecting exactly full power performance, I just wanna be clear that I think expecting the same performance will probably lead to disappointment. I still think/hope they'll be significantly better than the traditional anemic civ power, but I wouldn't expect it to perform the same as any reasonably made FP unit.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 4:42:15 PM EDT
[#39]
And then question is, does it really need to be?  Are you designating any airstrikes lately?    The SG NGAL isn't anywhere near a "full power" laser, but it has vastly superior performance to any neutered domestic laser.  Thinking in terms of 1x NV, with PID out to say 100m; in this case, if the IRIS is compatible with the SG, you'd be GTG, IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 5:52:55 PM EDT
[#40]
And then question is, does it really need to be?  Are you designating any airstrikes lately?    The SG NGAL isn't anywhere near a "full power" laser, but it has vastly superior performance to any neutered domestic laser.  Thinking in terms of 1x NV, with PID out to say 100m; in this case, if the IRIS is compatible with the SG, you'd be GTG, IMHO.
View Quote

Oh I was operating on the assumption that the SG was full power. Am I to understand that it's not as strong.of an illuminator as my perst-3 then?

I just want a solid illuminator, my problem with civ illuminators isn't that they aren't full power, it's that they have very little power at all. As long as the IRIS isn't as anemic as we've come to expect from civ lasers, I'm sure I'll be happy with it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 10:23:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:
RAID Xe is coming slightly down in price, but is still well over $3K.  If Wilcox or if Eotech with their OGL ever got them down to around $2,000 I'd consider them, but I'm still determined that I'm not going to spend more for a damn laser illuminator than I did for my PVS14.  To me a laser illuminator shouldn't be more than half of what a PVS14 with a Gen 3 tube costs.  Frankly, it's pretty damn odd that these laser illuminators cost more than a damn good gaming PC right now.  Feel like the tax payer is being ripped off and we consumers get ripped off as a consequence of the companies wanting to rip off the tax payers. So, if you're a consumer of laser illuminators you get ripped off twice, once as a tax payer and once as a buyer.  
View Quote

Dude, how many times do you have to post this stuff up. We all understand that not everyone can afford the cool guy stuff.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 2:02:59 AM EDT
[#42]

Dude, how many times do you have to post this stuff up. We all understand that not everyone can afford the cool guy stuff.
View Quote

Idk, pricing of IR units seems relevant in a thread dedicated to an upcoming budget unit.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 2:44:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By NewWind:

Idk, pricing of IR units seems relevant in a thread dedicated to an upcoming budget unit.
View Quote

Of course. I'm all for an affordable product that performs well. OP keeps preaching about how he can't afford the good stuff on a working man's salary. We are all the same.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 9:20:44 AM EDT
[#44]
I'd still like to know how Holosun is going to do it. The MAWL-Civ has a 7 VCSEL diode array. For Holosun to look the same, they'd have to use a multidiode array as well, I would think. Maybe they are? If not, how can 1 = 7? Focus? I also wonder how a focusable emitter gets FDA approval, if it is really powerful when fully focused? Guess we'll see soon.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 9:59:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Oh man, the SG NGAL is no where near your PERST!  That thing is a light saber.  The SG NAGL is maybe 30% of that kind of full power.  With a neutered laser being at maybe 5%.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#46]

Of course. I'm all for an affordable product that performs well. OP keeps preaching about how he can't afford the good stuff on a working man's salary. We are all the same.
View Quote

I'll post it over and over again just to upset you WTFShane, it would be worth it for that alone.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 8:21:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Diz] [#47]
Well, and the bottom line is, with thermal coming on strong, how much weight do you still put into an IR laser?  Especially when you can buy a RH25 for less than a domestic laser, such as Steiner, BEM, or EOTech.  

I'd rather have dual spectrum capability and a 500-1,000 dolla laser than putting big bucks into a LAM right now.

Call me crazy.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 8:54:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Well, and the bottom line is, with thermal coming on strong, how much weight do you still put into an IR laser?  Especially when you can buy a RH25 for less than a domestic laser, such as Steiner, BEM, or EOTech.
View All Quotes

IR aiming laser power is flat-out not a big deal. Even civ gets you as far as you're ever likely to ID.

Illuminator power, on the other hand, is a big friggin' deal because it's critical in actually figuring out what you're looking at (provided you can go active - but not every situation is a peer-level-adversary war situation).

I'd rather have dual spectrum capability and a 500-1,000 dolla laser than putting big bucks into a LAM right now.

This is the truth. Like, if the IRIS can do it for eight hundred, why spend $3k? There's always the usual caveats about what "can do it" really means in the context of what you're doing (durability, etc.), I admit. But $2200 buys a lot of thermal these days, to be sure.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 8:46:32 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

iT HAS BEEN A Year since I have designated Air Strikes.
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 2:25:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Diz] [#50]
Right on dude; keep rocking the FP.

BTW, any word on a release date yet?
Page / 9
New Holosun IRIS VCSEL (Page 7 of 9)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top