User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 1:54:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 2:35:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cheesebeast:
You may want to take the brace adapter off and inspect it for clearance. I have an MKE "K" version with an SB brace.

I had to file a notch in the receiver extension (sorry if my terminology isn't correct- it is the piece that has the H shaped buffer attached to it that pins onto the rear of the receiver). The bottom lug where the pin goes through was solid on the brace adapter.

There is a rod at the rear of the trigger group that guides the hammer spring. It extends beyond the rear of the trigger group and it was contacting the solid receiver extension.

I had failures to eject and feed stoppages. I think all it was was due to binding. I filed a notch for clearance in the aluminum receiver extension and the problems disappeared.
View Quote

Ya some of SB braces had shit buffers that broke almost immediately. I had to replace mine with the buffer from my stock endcap because the arms on the H were braking off.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 8:23:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By RedFox1911:

Which locking piece are you using when it has issues unsuppressed? If you have the suppressed locking piece in there still that is the issue I think.

The simple solution is to not use cheap 115 ammo or go back to the old locking piece. If it doesn't work with 124gr to 147gr there is an issue I think.

The only thing with the MP5 and hollow points is you can't use the old straight HK mags. Those only work with FMJ.

View Quote

I'm still using the original 100deg Locking Piece.

Ammo is 115gr Blazer Brass & 147gr JHP Jag ammo, PSA bought this company and it is now, AAC.

I'll burn off a box of 124gr Federal HST and see what happens.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 8:25:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#4]
Originally Posted By Cheesebeast:
You may want to take the brace adapter off and inspect it for clearance. I have an MKE "K" version with an SB brace.

I had to file a notch in the receiver extension (sorry if my terminology isn't correct- it is the piece that has the H shaped buffer attached to it that pins onto the rear of the receiver). The bottom lug where the pin goes through was solid on the brace adapter.

There is a rod at the rear of the trigger group that guides the hammer spring. It extends beyond the rear of the trigger group and it was contacting the solid receiver extension.

I had failures to eject and feed stoppages. I think all it was was due to binding. I filed a notch for clearance in the aluminum receiver extension and the problems disappeared.
View Quote

I'm still new to this platform. Could you take a picture of what you filed on? Maybe circle it with MS Paint?
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 9:38:00 AM EDT
[#5]
SB Tactical Brace Issue: Hammer Shank Impact on MP5 (How to Fix)
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 10:57:22 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 11:05:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Just fired my 1st 30rd mag of 124gr JHP through the Century MKE AP5 I picked up from my dealer Saturday - works perfectly.

Attachment Attached File

Will see how my other mags work in it later on.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By drobs:
Just fired my 1st 30rd mag of 124gr JHP through the Century MKE AP5 I picked up from my dealer Saturday - works perfectly.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/AP5_G43X_jpg-3249436.JPG

Will see how my other mags work in it later on.
View Quote

Nice

My AP5 had been good after I replaced a couple parts and even then I think it's been a great value gun buy.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 3:06:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#9]
So I cut a divot into the SB brace per the above video and went and tried it out on the Zenith.
Jam-o-matic, with multiple mid mag failures to load using MKE mags & 115gr Blazer brass.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Cleaned it, re-installed the Zenith sling receiver cap, and ran 2 Zenith mags of 115 blazer brass.  More last round round failures.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This is a pretty one...
Attachment Attached File

Reading through the manual it states it needs a 500rd break-in with 124gr nato spec ammo. I will go pick up 500rds or 124gr fmj and burn some more $ on ammo.
I really want to send it back to them along with their junk mags but I will shoot it some more 1st.

I figure if you are going to put your name on a magazine, the magazine really should work...

Link Posted: 6/25/2024 3:33:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Buy a HK mag and test it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 3:56:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's an oddity. I've taken apart that Zenith a couple times now. When re-assembling it, I find if the bolt is fully forward, that I won't be able to lock the bolt handle back.
If I leave the bolt partially open, then put everything back on, it works. When doing it that way the recoil spring and guide rod extends past the end of the receiver a bit.

Is this normal? Seems like the recoil spring and guide rod are too short.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 8:37:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's an oddity. I've taken apart that Zenith a couple times now. When re-assembling it, I find if the bolt is fully forward, that I won't be able to lock the bolt handle back.
If I leave the bolt partially open, then put everything back on, it works. When doing it that way the recoil spring and guide rod extends past the end of the receiver a bit.

Is this normal? Seems like the recoil spring and guide rod are too short.
View Quote

Sounds like your not getting the rear of the recoil rod in the cap/brace/stock correctly. There is a divot/hole it goes in.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 6:28:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By StaccatoC2:

Sounds like your not getting the rear of the recoil rod in the cap/brace/stock correctly. There is a divot/hole it goes in.
View Quote

I agree, it just seems odd.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 11:13:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By StaccatoC2:

View Quote

This. I encountered the same issue and found if I didn't have the rear of the recoil rod exactly in that recess this would happen.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 8:10:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By fike:
Buy a HK mag and test it.
View Quote

But they're too expensive...
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 12:26:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By RED_5:

is this basically a required mod, or a case-by-case thing?
View Quote

For the K model only, but not sure if its every one. Just looked at my ap5 and the longer receiver means this does not apply.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 4:03:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By giantpune:

The ones made on HK tooling, with the TDP and HK coming in and training your guys how to do everything.
POF and MKE are the popular ones.  Those are real war factories, making tanks and missiles.  Everybody else is just guessing and reverse engineering.

PTR has been at it pretty long and seems to have worked out most of the kinks.  Zenith is still brand new at it.  They used to be an importer of MKE.  That deal soured.  Zenith started building their own.  We don't really have a lot of them out there to say how well they did.  Its like buying a car model the first year it is released.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By IHC53:
So which is the best (non HK) made MP5 clone?

The ones made on HK tooling, with the TDP and HK coming in and training your guys how to do everything.
POF and MKE are the popular ones.  Those are real war factories, making tanks and missiles.  Everybody else is just guessing and reverse engineering.

PTR has been at it pretty long and seems to have worked out most of the kinks.  Zenith is still brand new at it.  They used to be an importer of MKE.  That deal soured.  Zenith started building their own.  We don't really have a lot of them out there to say how well they did.  Its like buying a car model the first year it is released.

MKE under centuries QC not so much...they have problems all over the place

When MKE was partnered with Zenith? Best clones on the market made with HK tooling and amazing QC. Those old Zenith Z5RS guns were the closest you could get to the real thing.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By HecklerKac:

When MKE was partnered with Zenith? Best clones on the market made with HK tooling and amazing QC. Those old Zenith Z5RS guns were the closest you could get to the real thing.
View Quote

Century is just the importer, they don't touch the guns nor "QC" them.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 10:54:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 11:29:18 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:58:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#22]
Another 300rds fired of 124gr CCI Blazer Brass. At least 1 Failure to Eject on every single magazine.
Also had 2 failures to go into battery, and multiple double feeds. Plus failure to ejects that required prying out the empty shell casing.

Zenith USA = fucking jam-o-matic piece of shit.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Off to send it back, looking for a refund.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 1:04:52 PM EDT
[#23]
That sucks
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 4:24:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Creole_Cat] [#24]
Dude buy some real nato spec 124 ball. You are feeding the gun cheap, under power ammo during break it.

After you run some ball for break in. It is likely you can run low power 115.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 6:53:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Creole_Cat:
Dude buy some real nato spec 124 ball. You are feeding the gun cheap, under power ammo during break it.

After you run some ball for break in. It is likely you can run low power 115.
View Quote

Any brand recommendations? I just ran 300rds today of 124gr CCI Blazer Brass and it was a jam-o-matic.

Link Posted: 7/27/2024 7:09:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#26]
I wouldn't waste any more ammo on that PoS.

View Quote

lolwut?  Century did not send a team of guys to turkey to sit around and QC their guns.
If anything, MKE started rushing things out the door.  They have been getting hit hard for orders.  Century is importing and selling 100x as many of these as zenith did.  The turkish lira is in the toilet.  That means these guns are half the price they used to be.  And that means they are flying off the shelves.
MKE putting them out as fast as they can, and some of them have been turds.  Most of them run great.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 7:16:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I wouldn't waste any more ammo on that PoS.
View Quote

My thoughts exactly. My MKE AP5 runs all weights of ammo with no FTE, FTF's, double feeds, or failures to go into battery.

124gr CCI Blazer Brass - muzzle velocity 1090fps
https://www.cci-ammunition.com/handgun/blazer/blazer-brass/4-5201.html

124gr Winchester Nato Spec - muzzle velocity 1200fps
https://winchester.com/Products/Ammunition/Handgun/USA/Q4318

Will the extra 110fps make a difference?
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 10:07:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Specific to MKE, I would suggest swapping out the extractor (3rd Gen), extractor spring and ejector (3rd Gen) for factory HK parts if you are having feeding issues.  Also use HK or MKE mags to remove possible mag issues.

My $.02.
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 11:13:16 AM EDT
[#29]
My Zenith ZF5-P was initially a jomomatic on WWB 115, could not run a half mag without stoppages... multiple.

I bought 500 rounds of Federal AE 9mm 124gr from Academy. ran like a top for 250 rounds, re-arched the extractor spring prior, tried 115 WWB again and jamomatic.
Stoppages ranged from FTE, FTF,  loose round from magazine etc. I replaced the Extractor spring with a NEW one and it ran fine again...

ZF-5 "Full Size"
115 WWB (look I got it cheap from my employer) fail city
so again with 124 grain federal FMJ
still experiencing multiple FTF FTE fail to FIRE, whatever with that one no matter Friday evening it ran two mags back to back then reloaded and it started failing. multiple times per mag.
this one had a NEW extractor spring, for what it is worth this one gaps at almost .020.

Overall fit and finish both guns are incredibly nice. as for function they are disappointing, however they are simple guns not many parts, so Extractor springs are a MUST in a survival kit.
Extractor may be next or I may cut my losses and use an RCM "E" bolt that eliminates the poor spring setup on the 90 series extractor, or go to the 33 springs. Ejector is a big dumb chunk of metal I can see no reason for a replacement unless obviously damaged. USUALLY if the extractor can hang onto the case to get it TO the ejector it will knock it out of the way most of what I am seeing is Mag or ex spring related. perhaps Extractor "Tooth"
RCM E Bolt.
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 11:32:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Another 300rds fired of 124gr CCI Blazer Brass. At least 1 Failure to Eject on every single magazine.
Also had 2 failures to go into battery, and multiple double feeds. Plus failure to ejects that required prying out the empty shell casing.

Zenith USA = fucking jam-o-matic piece of shit.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/Screenshot_2024-07-27_115543_jpg-3278350.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/Screenshot_2024-07-27_115933_jpg-3278359.JPG

Off to send it back, looking for a refund.
View Quote

Exactly how my Zenith adventure ended as well.

Love my MKE's.
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 11:32:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 55Parabellum] [#31]
Originally Posted By 0351:
Specific to MKE, I would suggest swapping out the extractor (3rd Gen), extractor spring and ejector (3rd Gen) for factory HK parts if you are having feeding issues.  Also use HK or MKE mags to remove possible mag issues.

My $.02.
View Quote

My AP-5P had the same issues as OP. I did as you recommended, with the addition of an HK ejector spring, and the gun has been 100% since.
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 12:19:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quality of the latest MKE batches must be good?I bought a new AP5-P this last Wednesday. Added a brace, oiled it, measured bolt gap, then took it to the range and put 200 rounds of WWB 124 NATO through it. All 5 MKE mags and the gun were 100% reliable. Sights were dead on at 25 yards too.
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#33]
That is my experience.  

Broke mine in with Winchester Q4318 NATO 124 ball.
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 8:49:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By UT-ARShooter:
Quality of the latest MKE batches must be good?I bought a new AP5-P this last Wednesday. Added a brace, oiled it, measured bolt gap, then took it to the range and put 200 rounds of WWB 124 NATO through it. All 5 MKE mags and the gun were 100% reliable. Sights were dead on at 25 yards too.
View Quote

It sounds like you got one of the good ones. Their QA/QC is all over the place.
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 11:59:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Creole_Cat:
That is my experience.  

Broke mine in with Winchester Q4318 NATO 124 ball.
View Quote

My dealer says he has some Winchester Valor 9mm that has the same MV of 1200.
https://winchester.com/Products/Ammunition/Handgun/USA-VALOR-Series-Handgun/USA9NATOW

We're going to mag dump it Wednesday.
I expect it will have all the same failures but will post here with the results.

Link Posted: 7/29/2024 12:08:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#36]
Originally Posted By AFSOC:
My Zenith ZF5-P was initially a jomomatic on WWB 115, could not run a half mag without stoppages... multiple.

I bought 500 rounds of Federal AE 9mm 124gr from Academy. ran like a top for 250 rounds, re-arched the extractor spring prior, tried 115 WWB again and jamomatic.
Stoppages ranged from FTE, FTF,  loose round from magazine etc. I replaced the Extractor spring with a NEW one and it ran fine again...

ZF-5 "Full Size"
115 WWB (look I got it cheap from my employer) fail city
so again with 124 grain federal FMJ
still experiencing multiple FTF FTE fail to FIRE, whatever with that one no matter Friday evening it ran two mags back to back then reloaded and it started failing. multiple times per mag.
this one had a NEW extractor spring, for what it is worth this one gaps at almost .020.

Overall fit and finish both guns are incredibly nice. as for function they are disappointing, however they are simple guns not many parts, so Extractor springs are a MUST in a survival kit.
Extractor may be next or I may cut my losses and use an RCM "E" bolt that eliminates the poor spring setup on the 90 series extractor, or go to the 33 springs. Ejector is a big dumb chunk of metal I can see no reason for a replacement unless obviously damaged. USUALLY if the extractor can hang onto the case to get it TO the ejector it will knock it out of the way most of what I am seeing is Mag or ex spring related. perhaps Extractor "Tooth"
RCM E Bolt.
https://rimcountrymfg.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/e-1-scaled.jpg
View Quote

I'll keep that E bolt in mind. If I keep the Zenith, I plan to add a RCM 80 deg locking piece to it. Might as well add an RCM E bolt.

I just wish it would make it through more than 1 magazine without a failure.
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 2:14:31 PM EDT
[#37]
My PDW does, the "Full Size" doesn't... yet. it makes it through a mag then choked on the second.
COULD be mag related because it is feed fails, though I have experienced light strikes and FTE as well most likely Extractor related.
I do have an RCM bolt I could toss in there to test I suppose. but that gun is a bit fat in the bolt gap department. so I can't recall if smaller gap is more or less energetic ejection.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 8:50:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#38]
I'm going to throw some H&K parts at it and see if anything improves. If it doesn't these parts (minus the 80deg LP) can go into my Century MKE AP5.

Attachment Attached File

Looking around youtube, I was thinking to myself, maybe the full size ZF5 functions with non-Nato Spec 9mm, better?
That would be a no.

This guy is getting the exact same problems I'm getting. Except he hasn't had to resort to, prying out fired cases, with a screw driver.

Link Posted: 7/30/2024 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm going to throw some H&K parts at it and see if anything improves. If it doesn't these parts (minus the 80deg LP) can go into my Century MKE AP5.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/HK_Parts_jpg-3280743.JPG

Looking around youtube, I was thinking to myself, maybe the full size ZF5 functions with non-Nato Spec 9mm, better?
That would be a no.

This guy is getting the exact same problems I'm getting. Except he hasn't had to resort to, prying out fired cases, with a screw driver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeKhMg5W0v8
View Quote

I don't know why you guys fuck around with POS clones? Buy the real thing and enjoy hassle free shooting instead of constantly fucking with a shit firearm.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 8:19:09 PM EDT
[#40]
My ap5 was hit and miss the first few hundred rounds, now it shoots anything but blaser Aluminum 147 gr. Runs like a top on lawman 147 grain.

Mke mags and one 20 round kci mag
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 6:01:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By HK-Slap:

I don't know why you guys fuck around with POS clones? Buy the real thing and enjoy hassle free shooting instead of constantly fucking with a shit firearm.
View Quote

Cuz we like making up the difference in price with wasted ammo?

You're not wrong.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 7:12:53 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm still waiting on my delivery of 500rds of Winchester 124gr Nato ammo.

Yesterday I took it over to the FFL I bought it from. We stepped out back of his shop and ran 2 mags of 9mm Maximum and some Sig 124gr JHP through it using the Zenith Mags. We had the same FTF, FTE, Double Feed, etc problems with it.

He called his distributor and they will take it back / refund us at anytime in the future.

I still want to try the H&K parts + the 124gr Nato ammo.

Ultimately I will probably take the refund and apply it to a real H&K SP5K-PDW.

Link Posted: 8/1/2024 7:30:56 AM EDT
[#43]

View Quote
My POF MP5 runs flawless. I have the POF MP5 and the POF MP5 SMG reverse stretch both run flawless.
These are real MG's used in war, deballed to semi and shipped to USA. Sleeper collector gun !
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 8:29:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By TW200:
My POF MP5 runs flawless. I have the POF MP5 and the POF MP5 SMG reverse stretch both run flawless.
These are real MG's used in war, deballed to semi and shipped to USA. Sleeper collector gun !
View Quote

From his hands in Pakistan to yours in America.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 8:40:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TW200] [#45]

From his hands in Pakistan to yours in America.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/POF_Military_jpg-3282417.JPG
View Quote
POF SMG MP5!!

Reverse stretch.
Reverse Mullet...party in the front, business in the back.

The regular POF MP5 version is the only MP5 civllian Marked "MP5" on the receiver. Woop Woop!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/1/2024 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By TW200:
POF SMG MP5!!

Reverse stretch.
Reverse Mullet...party in the front, business in the back.

The regular POF MP5 version is the only MP5 civllian Marked "MP5" on the receiver. Woop Woop!

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/mourning-nod-1006.gif
View Quote

I had to look up reverse stretch and it is what I thought it was.
Looks like you have a good one there.

The "Reverse Stretch" is the Mullet of MP5s (POF SMG PK Review)

Hop makes all the same arguments for / against the MP5 that I have. Ultimately my CZ Scorpion was better at being a PDW than the "MP5" is.
Last shot bolt hold opens with a bolt release are nice modern functions. But the Scorpion is just not as cool as a "MP5."
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 10:20:18 AM EDT
[#47]

I had to look up reverse stretch and it is what I thought it was.
Looks like you have a good one there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eDXujCKebA

Hop makes all the same arguments for / against the MP5 that I have. Ultimately my CZ Scorpion was better at being a PDW than the "MP5" is.
Last shot bolt hold opens with a bolt release are nice modern functions. But the Scorpion is just not as cool as a "MP5."
View Quote

I would agree.  Having both a full size and reverse stretch and a Scorpion EVO SBR - the Scorpion outperforms them hands down from a reliability standpoint.  I run anything through it it eats it and ejects it.   I want to supress it i put a suppressor on and shoot away no dickin around with locking pieces etc.  Every mag I have for it cost less than $25 and works.  I have thousands of rounds through it and it has the same ejector and spring? wow!  that is novel.  Is it as smooth as an MP5?=NO however runs like a raped ape as they say.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By cherenkov:

I would agree.  Having both a full size and reverse stretch and a Scorpion EVO SBR - the Scorpion outperforms them hands down from a reliability standpoint.  I run anything through it it eats it and ejects it.   I want to supress it i put a suppressor on and shoot away no dickin around with locking pieces etc.  Every mag I have for it cost less than $25 and works.  I have thousands of rounds through it and it has the same ejector and spring? wow!  that is novel.  Is it as smooth as an MP5?=NO however runs like a raped ape as they say.
View Quote

I'm hoping switching to a true H&K SP5K that I will get the same reliability my Scorpion Evo had.
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 6:15:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Next up in the Zenith...

Attachment Attached File

Will it make it through a whole magazine?
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 7:41:39 AM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

This is the correct answer.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top