Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 12:06:50 PM EDT
[#1]

Whenever Judge Sheridan in the District court issues his decision on the Mag / AWB cases, one or the other will seek an appeal in the 3rd Circuit and eventually the cases will head to SCOTUS.

Unless something drastically changes, it's a very long road ahead.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 2:47:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Demeroma] [#2]
The last comment is about our AWB / Mag ban case.

\

r/GardenStateGuns
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 10:07:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NZT] [#3]
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 11:17:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NZT:
So much for "a right delayed is a right denied."

Some=So (sp)-edit

View Quote
You can say that again.

Link Posted: 7/10/2024 4:18:25 PM EDT
[#5]
NJ is not giving up their mag and evil feature bans.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BSOG1:
NJ is not giving up their mag and evil feature bans.
View Quote
I disagree.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 4:13:06 PM EDT
[#7]
good luck bro...

Originally Posted By Demeroma:
I disagree.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/11/2024 5:27:48 PM EDT
[#8]
good luck bro...

View Quote
Thanks, much appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 12:21:02 PM EDT
[#9]
ive been waiting since May 1990.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#10]
ive been waiting since May 1990.
View Quote
I know, it sux. It also took many years to get rid of justifiable need before we could even consider applying for a carry permit. Yep, it's a real pain in the butt getting our mags and evil features back because we're now again waiting on the slow and unpredictable courts.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 1:37:30 PM EDT
[#11]
looks like the Judge retired ....LOL  all that work just went out the window.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 1:50:18 PM EDT
[#12]
looks like the Judge retired ....LOL  all that work just went out the window.
View Quote

Probably was made an offer he couldn't refuse.  A year wasted with this judge but not all is lost. The case will be reassigned to another judge. I would love to see judge Bumb take it and rip NJ a new asshole.  Yes, it's demoralizing but it ain't over.

Link Posted: 7/17/2024 1:51:37 PM EDT
[#13]
it will be tied up and pushed aside for years. its over. move is the only option.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 2:05:03 PM EDT
[#14]
If we give up and move then these guys win.

Link Posted: 7/17/2024 2:23:24 PM EDT
[#15]
they won already dude. they retired their boy
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 2:28:28 PM EDT
[#16]
NJ will never see normal mags again. this proves it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

NJ will get mags someday. Someday is now a lot farther off.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#18]
someday lol... when we are all dead and the next generation only cares about gaming.
and doesnt buy guns. dont hold your breath. this just ended years worth of work. time and money.

Originally Posted By Whamo:

NJ will get mags someday. Someday is now a lot farther off.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/18/2024 3:15:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Demeroma] [#19]
they won already dude. they retired their boy
View Quote

Yes, the judge screwed us by not deciding the case but NJ hasn't won anything other than maintaining the status quo .... for now.

View Quote

If that were true then the state wouldn't keep fighting us to keep the mag and AWB in place. That's why we can't give up and have to fight to get our rights back.

eta:

Judge Roth makes up a new standard  and AG Platkin can't wait to use it to defend NJ's unconstitutional laws.

fwiw: "common use for self defense" is not the standard.

Link Posted: 7/24/2024 12:33:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Another letter from the AG citing another court with the made up standard of "in common use for self defense".  

The actual standard is "in common use".  

Link Posted: 7/24/2024 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#21]
its over, NJ will never see mags and features again. unless you get rid of all the assholes. or move
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 4:11:12 PM EDT
[#22]
its over, NJ will never see mags and features again. unless you get rid of all the assholes. or move
View Quote

It's not over until the fat lady sings.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 4:13:54 PM EDT
[#23]
LOL. i love your enthusiasm . its over bro....its amazing we got carry.

It's not over until the fat lady sings.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2024 3:57:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Demeroma] [#24]
AWB / Mag Ban Decision

Waiting on FPC's official statement. Looks like AR15's are now legal in NJ but Mags still banned - but don't quote me on that because I haven't read the opinion yet.

opinion  

eta:

Nothing changes for 30 days so don't be hasty removing any pins and such.  Also not sure if we're still limited to 10 or the old 15 round mags. When I find out, I will let you know.

Link Posted: 7/30/2024 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#25]
AWB / Mag Ban Decision

Waiting on FPC's official statement. Looks like AR15's are now legal in NJ but Mags still banned - but don't quote me on that because I haven't read the opinion yet.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/93999/Opera_Snapshot_2024-07-30_154924_x_com-3281030.png

opinion  

eta:

Nothing changes for 30 days so don't be hasty removing any pins and such.  Also not sure if we're still limited to 10 or the old 15 round mags. When I find out, I will let you know.

View Quote

Just saw this on X! It's a good day and better days ahead.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By WhyTanFox:

View Quote
May be more WTF? than a win.  

He did unban the Colt AR-15 but left New Jersey's ban on all other "assault weapons".  WTF???
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#27]

He did unban the Colt AR-15 but left New Jersey's ban on all other "assault weapons".  WTF???
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Really?

Any word on the AR-15 features? I can has adjustable stock?
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 4:33:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Demeroma] [#28]

Really?

Any word on the AR-15 features? I can has adjustable stock?
View Quote
Waiting to see what the ANJRPC and FPC have to say about this garbage decision. No matter what they say this will get appealed to the 3rd circuit and inevitably to SCOTUS.

eta:

If you have a Colt AR-15 then you'll be good to go in 30 days and as long as the CAR-15 is pinned, no collapsible stock, no flash suppressor, no bayo lug and unless there's an appeal. As far as all other AR-15 clones, AK's, etc, they'll remain banned in NJ. Crazy.

eta: added the bold part
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#29]
this is the most stupid shit i ever heard in my life if its only for the Colt.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 5:50:03 PM EDT
[#30]
this is the most stupid shit i ever heard in my life if its only for the Colt.
View Quote
Yep, the only thing that changed was that now you can own a COLT AR-15 as long as it does not have any of the "assault weapon" evil features that remain banned in New Jersey. What a garbage decision.

Fwiw, this will be appealed to the 3rd circuit.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 6:31:33 PM EDT
[#31]
appealed appealed appealed. everyone is just throwing good money at bad. everyone knows
what its time for....
this is all a fkn Federal Judge can come up with ? if this isnt a total joke and piss on the Constitution
i dont know what is. this is ludicrous .
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 8:25:24 PM EDT
[#32]
It took how long and how much money to get that fucked up decision ? nah that’s bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 8:30:13 PM EDT
[#33]
It took how long and how much money to get that fucked up decision ? nah that’s bullshit.
View Quote

To be fair, the lower court, no matter how it ruled, was going to be appealed. Same with any middle level court ruling.

The end game here is to get it in front of the USSC. Which is a long way off.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 8:45:43 PM EDT
[#34]
N.J.'s ban on AR-15 'assault' rifles is unconstitutional, federal court rules

A federal court judge on Tuesday ruled New Jersey's ban on AR-15 rifles is unconstitutional, a decision that could force the state to lift its decades-old prohibition on certain semi-automatic weapons.

The judge's ruling was limited in scope   it applies only to one type of firearm, the Colt AR-15, and allows "for use of self-defense within the home."

It marks the latest clawback of New Jersey's famously strict gun laws following several recent pro-Second Amendment decisions from the U.S. Supreme Court.

The decision was hailed as a partial victory by gun rights advocates who challenged New Jersey's ban, arguing in court papers the law "blatantly violates the fundamental rights of the state's law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms in common use for self-defense and other lawful purposes."

State Attorney General Matthew Platkin said Tuesday his office would appeal the ruling, arguing it "weaponizes the Second Amendment to undermine public safety."

"The AR-15 is an instrument designed for warfare that inflicts catastrophic mass injuries, and is the weapon of choice for the epidemic of mass shootings that have ravaged so many communities across this nation," Platkin said.

In a 69-page decision, U.S. District Court Judge Peter Sheridan, a George W. Bush appointee, criticized "the Supreme Court's pronouncements that certain firearms policy choices are 'off the table' when frequently, radical individuals possess and use these same firearms for evil purposes."

However, Sheridan wrote, he was bound by the higher court's rulings in two cases, known as Bruen and Heller.

"This principle   combined with the reckless inaction of our governmental leaders to address the mass shooting tragedy afflicting our Nation   necessitates the Court's decision," the judge wrote.

The judge's ruling concerned dual challenges to New Jersey's Assault Firearms Law, enacted in 1990, and a 2018 law signed by Gov. Phil Murphy that limited magazine sizes to 10 rounds.

While Sheridan ruled the AR-15 ban unconstitutional under the new Supreme Court rulings, he upheld the state's large-capacity magazine ban under the same framework.

The Supreme Court's ruling "forbade a complete prohibition on a class of gun ownership," he wrote, noting that AR-15 rifles are commonplace in gun-friendly states.

But the judge's ruling only applies to the Colt model because of the "variety of firearms regulated in the Assault Firearms Law and the nuances that each individual firearm presents" and because the evidence in this case concerned the AR-15.

The gun rights groups, including the New Jersey Association of Rifle and Pistol Clubs and the national Firearms Policy Coalition, filed notice appealing the judge's ruling upholding the magazine ban, court records show.

"Bans on so-called 'assault weapons' are immoral and unconstitutional," FPC President Brandon Combs said in a statement Tuesday.

"FPC will continue to fight forward until all of these bans are eliminated throughout the United States."

https://www.nj.com/news/2024/07/njs-ban-on-ar-15-assault-rifles-is-unconstitutional-federal-court-rules.html?

Link Posted: 7/30/2024 8:46:36 PM EDT
[#35]
And then SCOTUS will just not hear the case
i hate to be a dick but you guys are in dream land if you think NJ will lose the bans .
sure I’ll wait another 20 years maybe … maybe we will see it then. once Kumala gets in it’s over anyway
As all the Libtard brainwashed women scream women for Kumala
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#36]
When can NJ appoint a new AG ?
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 8:51:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By KnuckleSandwich:

To be fair, the lower court, no matter how it ruled, was going to be appealed. Same with any middle level court ruling.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KnuckleSandwich:

That's correct and a bit discouraging but the fight must go on.  Mark Cheeseman is the plaintiff in the Cheeseman v Platkin AWB case and this is what he said today:  

Today we got a bad judgment. Today is the day to regroup and and figure out how and what to do next. The fight for the second amendment will continue until we are dead and gone.

Link Posted: 7/30/2024 9:00:00 PM EDT
[#38]
When can NJ appoint a new AG ?
View Quote
The governor is the one that appoints to AG. That's why voting is so important.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 9:02:20 PM EDT
[#39]
This is the most stupid ruling I ever seen
So I get a Colt AR15 lower , no banned features ?
And can only keep it in the house for self defense ?
I get all that right ? lol
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 9:04:33 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 7/30/2024 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 7/30/2024 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Weeponizes
That guy makes me sick
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 9:18:24 PM EDT
[#43]
BREAKING NEWS: FEDERAL JUDGE FINDS NJ AR-15 BAN TO BE UNCONSTITUTIONAL
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#44]
ANJRPC v Platkin: A perfect example of lower court defiance of clear Supreme Court precedent.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 9:31:04 PM EDT
[#45]
The following link is a twitter thread about todays decision by a California 2A attorney.

Xcancel is a twitter proxy where you can read the thread without logging in.

https://xcancel.com/MorosKostas/status/1818393899016372521

Link Posted: 7/30/2024 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#46]
FPC has filed a Notice of Appeal with the 3rd Circuit.

link
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 10:05:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Demeroma] [#47]
US District Court for District of NJ Issues Tortured Opinion on AR & Mag Ban

In layman's terms: US District Court strikes down New Jersey's ban on "Colt AR-15" rifles but upholds "large capacity magazine" ban. To be clear, this is not a good ruling and it is not time to go purchase an AR-15. Both sides will likely appeal to the US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
View Quote
It remains unclear whether the decision is applicable specifically to the Colt AR-15 or to all AR-style copies that are available to the public. New Jersey's assault firearms law enumerates more than sixty weapons that constitute "assault firearms." The decision simply states, "Relevant to the analysis here is the provision within the Assault Firearms Law regulating the 'Colt AR-15' (hereinafter, the 'AR-15 Provision')."
View Quote

continued:
News2A

Link Posted: 7/30/2024 10:12:13 PM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 7/30/2024 11:21:38 PM EDT
[#49]
This ruling after all that time and money is a Fkn joke
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 11:51:39 PM EDT
[#50]
View All Quotes

No matter what the decision was, it was getting appealed by either us or New Jersey.

The following is from Joe LoPorto of the New Jersey Firearm Owners Syndicate.

Here is my initial breakdown on today's news.

Today the Federal District Court of New Jersey issued a final merits based ruling in our AWB and standard capacity magazine cases.
There is a great deal of confusion on what the holding means and I want to clarify as much as I can.

First, at a personal level in terms of what to do, assume nothing has been struck down.  Not to minimize the actual holding itself, no matter how this case was decided, it was going to be appealed and that is certainly going to happen.  

Second, was this a win?  Thats the question everyone is asking.  The answer is yes, unequivocally.

This was a big win for three separate reasons and I am going to address the biggest portion of that first.

1. We have a final merits based decision.  Looking at the procedural posture of similar AWB cases around the country, our case is one of the most advanced.  Clarence Thomas was begging for a final, merits based decision to grant cert on in his dissent to the denial of cert on the Illinois AWB cases.  We could be on a final decision with the 3rd circuit in a year.  And that means it could be our case that reaches the Supreme Court first.  Mark Cheeseman has been leading this grassroots fight for decades now.  It would be the most fitting outcome possible for Cheeseman to be the name of the title case that ends assault weapon bans nationwide, forever.  Heller, McDonald, Bruen, Cheeseman.  No one in this whole country deserves that more than Mark.

2. As for the holding itself, the District Court found in its opinion that AR-15's as a class of firearms are in common use and protected under the 2nd Amendment.  On the AWB question, the Court got the main holding and the analysis right.  Sheridan tried to do everything possible to narrow down his order to make it as limited as possible, but as I said, it doesn't matter.  We are going up on appeal with the main arguments settled in our favor and we were going to be appealing this either way.  That is the important takeaway.  

3. On the mag ban question, the court made two massive concessions: the Court ruled that magazines are arms; and, the Court ruled that large capacity magazines are in common use.  The Court then completely gets the rest of the Bruen analysis wrong.  The Court invented its own test because it viewed magazines limitations as a restriction on an arm and not an outright ban, it then used mid to late 1800's analogies to support its conclusion.  The Court didn't rule in our favor, but it conceded the important points and then went into the most thinly veiled example of interest-balancing I have ever seen (in complete contradiction to Heller and Bruen).  Why do I think that is a win?  Because we go to the 3rd Circuit not debating about whether magazines are arms or whether "LCM's" (standard capacity magazines) are in common use.  We have those two points in our pocket.  The 3rd Circuit has to simply agree with the lower court on the key issues and simply apply the law correctly.

Let me reiterate.  We got a final decision much sooner than we thought which means we go to the 3rd circuit sooner than we thought and then on to the Supreme Court.  This issue will only be fully settled when that happens.  And that final decision at SCOTUS could be titled "Cheeseman."

I am proud to know Mark, proud to be part of this fight and we should view this case as the victory that it is.  Whether Sheridan likes it or not, we are on a path to total victory on this issue and this district court level case was only ever going to be a step along that way.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top