Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/29/2012 10:21:48 PM EDT
This will UP 844, Northern Class 4-8-4, will be returning to Texas in late October of this year.  This is 844's second trip to Texas, and will hopefully be more successful than the trip earlier this year.  

At Mt Pleasant, the diesel locomotive (UP 1982, SD70ACe, MoPac Heritage Unit) attached to 844 failed to stop when necesary.  Because UP 1982 is much more powerful than 844, it damaged 844's driving wheels.  844 limped to Georgetown, TX a few days later for emergency repairs where the tool and support car vintage boxcar was wrecked by a gondola.  

All is well!

I am working to get a full schedule, but I can give the following dates for sure:

20 October 2012 Marshall, TX

27&28 October 2012 Houston, TX

From Marshall there are two ways 844 can take to get to Houston.  The first is to head west on the old Texas&Pacific line (now the UP Mineola, and Subdivision).

At Big Sandy, TX 844 can either head southwest on the former Cotton Belt line (now UP Tyler and Corsicana Subdivions) where it will meet the old Southern Pacific line (now UP Ennis, Bryan Subdivisions) into Houston.  However at Hearne, TX, it could run to Austin and San Antonio.

Another route is to continue west on the old Texas&Pacific (Mineola, Dallas Subdivisions) into Dallas, perhaps on to Ft Worth.  From Dallas it could be turned at whats known as Dallas North Junction or BN Jct, and head south on the UP Ennis Sub.  From Ft Worth it could head south on either the UP Midlothian Sub or Ft Worth Sub.  For that matter it could also make a West Texas run back out on the former Texas&Pacifico (now UP Baird and Toyah Subs) then into Houston on the UP Sunset Route.

When I get the detail schedules I will post them and radio frequencies.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 2:22:42 AM EDT
[#1]
So is 844 currently in Georgetown being repaired?
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 4:37:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I remember when the 844 came to Texas a few years ago and if you have never seen one of the big boys up close, you need to go see this one.  She is MASSIVE.  I assume she will come to the old AMTRAC station in downtown houston again?  Guess the kids and I will be there again.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 7:22:37 AM EDT
[#3]
tag for in case it comes through Fort Worth!
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 7:33:07 AM EDT
[#4]
tag
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 8:05:18 AM EDT
[#5]
One of my best family vacations was Dfw to la in 1964 or 5 via the train.
Driving up the coast to San Fran in a mustang convertible was pretty cool too though.

I just wish we could do something half as cool for my kids.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So is 844 currently in Georgetown being repaired?

No, that was on the first trip earlier this year.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 10:31:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Tag
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 11:45:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Any pics ?
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 12:25:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll bring the boys!
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 12:55:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Any pics ?

Ever heard of Google?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Pacific_844

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#11]
tag

Can we go for rides on it?
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 2:03:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
tag

Can we go for rides on it?

I wonder what can be found on Google?

http://www.up.com/aboutup/special_trains/steam/schedule.shtml
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 5:47:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
However at Hearne, TX, it could run to Austin and San Antonio

That would be most awesome.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

However at Hearne, TX, it could run to Austin and San Antonio

That would be most awesome.

If it comes to SA or Austin (on a weekend) I'll try to go see it and get some pictures.

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#15]
When I get an updated schedule I will also get a consist list which will include how many of UP's passenger cars are coming, which ones are coming, and if there is a helper

I also need to point out that while there is a North-South line in Marshall, TX, this train will likely head west from Louisiana.  Marshall has a small yard where 844 has parked before.  The yard is EAST of the North-South junction.  Marshall also has a magnificent old passenger depot which is still served by Amtrak.  That would be an excellent location if you are in East Texas and want to see the train.

Engineer will be Ed Dickens, who is a super nice person.  Funny too.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 11:32:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Additional informaion on the Marshall and Houston Stops

Also, people from the Rosenberg RR Museum are trying to see if they can get a short stop in Rosenberg for it  

http://up150.com/events/marshall-community-celebration

http://up150.com/events/houston-community-celebration
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll have to take my boy to this!  TAG.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 10:29:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Everybody should see a live steam engine up close, and be next to the tracks when one blazes by at track speed.

For that matter anyone that is interested in steam locomotives should ride the TSRR.  Under new visionary type management, they are repainting their locomotive fleet back to as delivered colors, purchasing new (old Pullman Cars), refurbishing the cars they acquired years ago.  They are even bringing freight back as there are atleast 3 customers online.  Support them!

Link Posted: 10/2/2012 5:32:30 AM EDT
[#19]
coming through college station?

Link Posted: 10/2/2012 11:19:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Its very possible.  If it leaves Hearne and doesnt go to Austin or San Antonio, it will have to go the B/CS.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I hope it does go through Mineola...that's my hometown.  And my grandfather worked on the T&P railroad there for 35 years.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 6:31:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Everybody should see a live steam engine up close, and be next to the tracks when one blazes by at track speed.

For that matter anyone that is interested in steam locomotives should ride the TSRR.  Under new visionary type management, they are repainting their locomotive fleet back to as delivered colors, purchasing new (old Pullman Cars), refurbishing the cars they acquired years ago.  They are even bringing freight back as there are atleast 3 customers online.  Support them!

Steam locos are pretty much the closest thing you can get to a living machine. Love them.

Will look to see if I might be able to get out when it comes through, haven;t sen any of UP's steam running
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#23]
When you mess around with a diesel-electric enough, you realize they also have their own personalities, traits, and idiosyncracies.  I am to the point where I believe all locomotives are living machines.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 1:17:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Schedule is out!

http://www.up.com/aboutup/special_trains/steam/details.shtml

A few changes, but nothing major.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012  It will start into Texas by coming down the UP Choctaw Subdivision.  
At 10:00AM, it will depart McAllister, OK.  It is then scheduled to arrive at Dooooorant, OK at 11:30 to drop off dignitaries, board dignitaries, and some locomotive maintenance.  

At 12:01PM, it will depart Doooorant , OK, to head across the Red River and arrive at Ray Yard in Denison, TX around 2:00PM.  It will drop off and board more dignitaries, and locomotive maintenance.  The yard is off limits, DO NOT GO IN THERE.  You will run afoul of the Union Pacific PD, and yes, they are real live cops.  

At around 2;45PM they will depart Ray Yard and head to Ft Worth, TX/Tower 55.  At Tower 55 they will either back up to the west and park the train at the old Texas and Pacific building or back it all the way to Denison Yard.  They may allow a little photo time in the yard, but you must ask.  If the answer is no, its no.  Davison Yard is the biggest, busiest yard in Texas.

To follow the Choctaw Sub is simple.  From McAllister, OK to Denison, TX the line roughly parallels US75/69.  A beautiful shot and video location will be as UP 844 goes tthough the trestle over the Red River.  On the Texas side, down at the visitors center is a dirt road that leads to a dirt farm.  This is private property.  However the owners have allowed folks to come down there to watch the steam trains before

From Denison, its best to take US82 west to Whitesboro.  It wont follow the line much, but its a fast way to US377.  From Whitesboro all the way to Ft Worth, US 377 parallels the Choctaw Sub.  This has its good and bad points.  There are some traffic lights you will contend with from Whitesboro to Denton.  That said, if there are any unexpected stops, you'll be ready for them.  I am willing to bet money they stop in Denton.  From Argyle, south, UP 844 will kick your ass.  Slow speed limits, cops, lots of traffic lights.  There is a possumbility of a stop at Argyle or Roanoke though.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 It will remain in Ft Worth as a static display.

Thursday, October 18, 2012 It will head for Hearne, TX

At 8:00AM it will depart Davison Yard eastbound on the UP Baird Sub for a few miles.  It will hit the Barnhardt Wye at Tower 55 and head south on the Choctaw Sub again to Ney Yard.  It will then head out on the UP Midlothian Sub.  At 10:45AM it is scheduled to arrive at Ennis, TX (more like Garrett, TX at the UP Garrett Yard).  For dignitaries to hope on and off, and for locomotive maintenance.

At 11:15AM it is scheduled to depart Ennis, TX on the UP Ennis Sub.  At 12:45PM it is scheduled to arrive at Mexia, TX.  It will drop off and pick up dignitaries and more locomotive maintenance.  

At 1:15PM it will depart Mexia, TX and head for an overnight stay in Hearne, TX.  It will arrive at 4:15PM.  They will tie the train down for the day there.  In the past they have opened the train up for talks with the crew, souvenirs, pictures, etc.

Friday, October 19, 2012, the trip gets weird.

At 8:00AM it will depart Hearne, TX, by turning at the wye in Hearne, and heading north east on the UP Palestine Sub.  At 9:45AM it will arrive at Buffalo, TX.  It will drop off and pickup more dignitaries, and do some maintenance. (Sorry, no B/CS)

At 10:15AM it will depart Buffalo, TX.  It will arrive at the UP Palestine Yard office at 11:00AM to drop off and pick up dignitaries and locomotive maintenance.  (The TSRR's excellent steam engines may bark at 844.  It would be worth it to be there!)

At 11:30AM it will depart Palestine, TX and head for Overton, TX where it is scheduled to arrive at 1:00PM.  It will do its drop off and pick up of important type people, and a little maintenance too.  Also the UP owned a branch line in Overton that runs to Henderson, TX.  They sold it cheap to a government entity, who then had a railroad come in to run it.  There may be some meeting type stuff there too.

At 1:30PM it is schedule to depart  Overton, TX and proceed to Longview, TX at 2:00PM.  They are stretching it here, and I doubt it will make it that fast.  They could open her up through there though.  Anyways, it is supposed to stop at the UP longview Yard for....you guessed it....dignitaries and maintenance.

At 2:30PM it will depart the UP Longview Yard on the UP Mineola Sub and head east to Marshall, TX.  It scheduled to arrive at 4:45PM where it will back into the UP Marshall Yard, and tie down for the night.  In the past when 844 has stopped at Marshall Yard, UP has opened it to the public.  ALWAYS ASK FIRST!  Whats the worst they can say, "no"?

Saturday, October 20, 2012 Static Display

Sunday, October 21, 2012 Static Display

Monday, October 22, 2012

At 8:00AM UP 844 will depart Marshall, TX on the UP Reisor Sub, and head east to Louisiana.  It is scheduled to arrive at Shreveport, LA at 10:30AM.  It will depart passengers, and tie down for the day.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012  Static Display

Wednesday, October 24, 2012  Static Display

Thursday, October 25, 2012 Its time to head back to Texas. (I have never followed this route, but I'm told its pure greatness)

At 8:00AM UP 844 will depart Shreveport and head south east on what is known as the Rabbit Line.  At 9:20AM it will stop at Jordan, LA for dignitary pick up and drop off

At 9:30A it will depart Jordan, LA and arrive at Timson, TX at 11:15AM to drop off and pick up dignitaries and locomotive maintenance.

At 11:45AM it will depart Timson, TX and arrive at Lufkin, TX at 1:15PM where it will tie down in the yard.  ASK FIRST!

Friday, October 26, 2012

At 8:00AM UP 844 will depart Lufkin, TX and arrive at Livingstone, TX at 9:30AM to detrain passengers and pick them up, plus some maintenance.

At 10:00AM it will depart Livingstone, TX and arrive at Cleveland, TX at 10:45AM to do the same-old same-old.

At 11:15AM it will depart Cleveland and make the run to Houston.  It is scheduled to arrive at the Amtrak station in Houston at 2:00 to unload passengers and tie down.

Saturday, October 27, 2012  Static Display  10:00AM-4:00PM

Sunday, October 28, 2012  Static Display  10:00AM-4:00PM

Monday  UNKNOWN
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 1:19:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Folks, I cannot stress to you the importance of not trespassing.  Just dont do it.  If you are unsure, just ask.  Ask a railroad employee, or a railfan.  You will know railfans when you see them, as their cars will have antennae, train decals, and look like nerds.  Some are awesome like me though.  

Railyards are super dangerous places, and only a few will be opened to the public.  Again, if you are unsure, ask.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 1:22:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I know the UP Choctaw, Baird, Midlothian, Ennis, Palestine, Mineola, and Reisor Subs very well.  If you are planning to follow it, take pictures or videos, I am happy to help.

If someone wants to go, but isnt sure, let me know and we can work something out.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 3:36:59 PM EDT
[#27]

From Denison, its best to take US82 west to Whitesboro.  It wont follow
the line much, but its a fast way to US377.  From Whitesboro all the way
to Ft Worth, US 377 parallels the Choctaw Sub.  This has its good and
bad points.  There are some traffic lights you will contend with from
Whitesboro to Denton.  That said, if there are any unexpected stops,
you'll be ready for them.  I am willing to bet money they stop in
Denton.  From Argyle, south, UP 844 will kick your ass.  Slow speed
limits, cops, lots of traffic lights.  There is a possumbility of a stop
at Argyle or Roanoke though.

Going south from Whitesboro you can throw a rock from hwy 377 to the track almost to Denton. If you take hwy 56 west from Sherman from 75 turn left at the light downtown Whitesboro and go south on business 377 you will be within yards of the tracks. There are several nice crossings in Collinsville, Aubry (good BBQ joint there too) and through downtown Pilot Point. Not sure for places around Prosper but there may be a crossing near hwy 380 and 377 before going into Denton. Check google maps for places around Denton. There should be some good vantage points on 377 south as it leaves Denton.  Collinsville might be the best place to catch it. Lots of parking near the tracks, small town with three good crossings within 200 feet of the tracks.   Good luck and post pics please.

Link Posted: 10/16/2012 8:29:10 AM EDT
[#28]
FAIL-SAFE, thanks for posting the schedule.  I'm a dumb Aggie...I can't tell from the schedule if or when the 844 will go through Mineola.  Can you help?
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 11:19:49 AM EDT
[#29]
844 will run on the same east-west (T&P) line that goes through Mineola, it will be getting on that line in Longview and head to the east.  So it wont go through Mineola itself.  Hey Longview aint that far from Mineola!

844 will essentially be making a 'V' in North Central, Central, and Eat Texas.

Thursday:

Ft Worth-Midlothian-Ennis-Hearne

Friday:

Hearne-Buffalo-Palestine-Longview-Marshall
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 11:39:22 AM EDT
[#30]
844 should be just now getting into Denton.  Figure it getting to Ft Worth around 5PM or later.  Its a good opportunity to get some after work pics!
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Thursday info:

Train Symbol:  S-FWHE-18

Departs: T&P Station at 8:00AM

Stops: Ft Worth-Midlothian-Ennis-Corsicana-Mexia-Hearne

Engineer: Ed Dickens
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 3:42:02 AM EDT
[#32]
headed north today and hope to catch it at mexia, then on the 26th it will roll past humble and i get to see it again. not a bad show for free.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 10:53:00 AM EDT
[#33]
I am bummed I could not get off work in time to see her when she rolled through north Texas.    My cousin in Mexia said it was pretty impressive.   Another cousin that works in Kosse is going to try and get some pictures / video when she comes through there in the next hour.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#34]
It will come back through North Texas soon.  When it finishes in Houston they are heading home to Cheyenne, WY.  The current plans are to come back to Ft Worth, and take the BNSF out to Amarillo.  I hope to have my DSLR by then, because I want that thing going over those razorbacks along US 287!
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 3:39:02 PM EDT
[#35]
When does it come through humble.

On what track?

Cross streets
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Heading up the road to Buffalo and Palestine in the morning to see it with my kids.  Then on to Rusk for an overnight camp and ride on the TSR Saturday.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 6:57:25 PM EDT
[#37]
cool, i will try to catch it on static display in houston, will be at the wings over houston and make a stop to check it out!!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 8:34:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

On what track?

Cross streets

26 Oct 2012

It will follow the rail line that parallels Hwy 59.

It will stay at the Houston Amtrak station.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 5:29:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Looks cool but im assuming you cant actually ride in it?
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 10:05:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Nope.  When its at its destination for the day, or on display, they will allow for tours.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 1:42:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Where will it tie down when it gets to Lufkin?
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 3:31:25 PM EDT
[#42]
According to UP's website they will tie down at Cain & Magnolia.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 4:24:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I live in Lufkin but work in Nac.  Do you know if it's coming through Nacogdoches?  If so when and where?  I work on the Loop right up the hill from the tracks by Press Road.  I would love to see it moving.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 6:40:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 10:28:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live in Lufkin but work in Nac.  Do you know if it's coming through Nacogdoches?  If so when and where?  I work on the Loop right up the hill from the tracks by Press Road.  I would love to see it moving.

It is going to pass through Nac.  I am willing to bet it will stop at Nac for a dignitary swap.

If it sticks to schedule, I'd say it would roll  through Nac in the noon hour.
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 6:59:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

On what track?

Cross streets

26 Oct 2012

It will follow the rail line that parallels Hwy 59.

It will stay at the Houston Amtrak station.

correct.  neighbor next door is dispatcher for the other R-R and said last week they will slow and adjust traffic for it. I"ll check tuesday and see if he can give me a time for humble.
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#47]
I can't believe I missed it coming through Fort Worth this time.  If it's indeed coming back this way again soon I will take the day off work just to see this beautiful piece of machinery.
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 5:06:18 PM EDT
[#48]
It will come up to Ft Worth as they head home.  Probably Houston to Hearne one day, Hearne to Ft Worth the next.  Then it excercise UP trackage rights and take the BNSF out of town.  Which BNSF route is the question, as they have two.  There's the one that parallels FM 156, and the other parallels US 287.  UP has rights on both.
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 7:03:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Very cool.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 9:57:15 AM EDT
[#50]
OK, the schedule out of Houston, as it has been relayed to me.

28 Oct 2012  Houston to Hearne (this means it will come up through Bryan College Station)

29 Oct 2012 Display in Hearne

30 Oct 2012 Display in Hearne

31 Oct 2012 Hearne to Ft Worth

1 Nov 2012 Ft Worth to Childress

2 Nov 2012 Childress to Texline

UP 844 will exercise track rights to use the BNSF Wichita Falls Sub.  This will be the first steam engine to travel this route in some 53 years.  History, folks.  The last steam engine to travel that line was Ft Worth & Denver's steam special taking a football team to a bowl game (Greenbelt?) in Childress.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top