Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/7/2011 11:10:17 AM EDT
My girlfriend and I have been talking alot about getting married. I think I will give her a ring soon. I am debating between a diamond and a CZ. Either way, I will be sure to have the stone put in a nice setting. I have read so much that says the diamond market is nothing but a huge scam, and diamonds are a terrible investment. I have also read that there are good quality cz's that no one would ever be able to tell apart from a real diamond. I can spend $1000 on a nice CZ engagement ring and use the rest of the money for more important things, or I can spend $5-10k on a diamond. Thoughts??

My girlfriend is fine with a CZ btw.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:12:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy a diamond ring you can afford, don't be stupid:

They ALL want a diamond ring, WHATEVER they say.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Get her what she wants, everyone else be damned.

ETA: Make SURE you know what she REALLY wants... not just what she's "fine" with.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:12:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

My girlfriend and I have been talking alot about getting married. I think I will give her a ring soon. I am debating between a diamond and a CZ. Either way, I will be sure to have the stone put in a nice setting. I have read so much that says the diamond market is nothing but a huge scam, and diamonds are a terrible investment. I have also read that there are good quality cz's that no one would ever be able to tell apart from a real diamond. I can spend $1000 on a nice CZ engagement ring and use the rest of the money for more important things, or I can spend $5-10k on a diamond. Thoughts??

Buy a CZ, tell her its a diamond

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:13:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I would do a plain band or much smaller diamond before I did CZ for an engagement ring.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:13:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Moissanite ring. Stone looks good with a lower than diamond price.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:14:05 AM EDT
[#7]
A good compromise would be to look into those lab-engineered diamonds.

The same as the stuff you can pick up off the ground in Africa, without the DeBeers control.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#8]
DIAMOND

Are you nuts??

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:15:42 AM EDT
[#9]
When a woman says something is "fine" they really care a whole lot and aren't saying what they want to say. Eventually the won't be "fine" with it and they'll snap.

Get a diamond.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:16:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Get a lab created diamond. Read up on , pretty interesting. http://www.diamondelle.net/diamondelle-princess-p-129.html
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Is she saying:

'Oh, a CZ is fine'

or

'Just get me a CZ, diamonds are a waste of money, and I don't want the chance of it being a Blood Diamond'

Because there is a big difference...

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:16:45 AM EDT
[#12]
If it's not a diamond then you don't love her and all her friends will know immediately and her co-workers will hang a pig mask on her and chase her through the halls shouting "Phony love! Phony love!" until she collapses in a pile, weeping and gnashing her teeth, rending her garments....

I don't know, man. I've never really understood the draw of paying what DeBeers tells you in order to show everyone you love someone. "Couple payments on the house", "Adding to down payment on one we want to buy", sounds less like bullshit to me.

Poster above me is right, though, probably.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:17:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Diamonds are the epitome of STUPID
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:17:56 AM EDT
[#14]
He went to Jared's.

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:19:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If you buy CZ you will be buying a diamond in a few years.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Fail.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Get a lab created diamond. Read up on , pretty interesting. http://www.diamondelle.net/diamondelle-princess-p-129.html

Don't tell the hubby, but I would have been thrilled to get that ring instead of the mined diamond.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:21:22 AM EDT
[#18]
5k-10k for a diamond ring?

lol  i paid ALOT less for a diamond ring from zales i bought not to long ago...
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:21:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:22:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Don't be an idiot.

I got an amazing deal on a beautiful, exceptional quality ring from a local jeweler––I hand-picked the diamond, and customized it ideally.  

I paid $4300 out the door, and was able to get her a gorgeous ring that is 100% unique.  Trust me, it's worth getting a nice ring.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:23:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:25:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I would do a plain band or much smaller diamond before I did CZ for an engagement ring.

This.

Get the real thing and forget the bling.

Better to get a smaller better quality diamond than a monstrous rock anyway.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:27:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really.
My wife wanted emerald, so she got an emerald ring.  Not all women are fixated on diamonds.

But I bet she got a genuine emerald, not a lab produced one.

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:28:17 AM EDT
[#24]
So what you all are saying is:  Bend over and buy something that has NO purpose, NO value, and does NOTHING besides assuage the womenfolk?  

Sorry, but I'd rather not and invest that money so it can do something productive instead of devaluing itself.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:29:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So what you all are saying is:  Bend over and buy something that has NO purpose, NO value, and does NOTHING besides assuage the womenfolk?  

Sorry, but I'd rather not and invest that money so it can do something productive instead of devaluing itself.

Buy fake gemstones for fake marriages.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Technically diamonds are not forever. Cz are. If you think I'm wrong go buy a cheap diamond and hold it over a blow torch haha.

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Don't be a fool. It's a test.
Sell your left nut if you have too, but get the diamond.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:30:13 AM EDT
[#28]
She fakes it you should too.

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:30:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Diamonds are pedestrian and boring anyway.  There are all sorts of much more interesting stones.  We wound up with a custom-cut synthetic alexandrite in a palladium setting. It changes from red to purplish to green depending on the ambient lighting, and it is absolutely unique.  The whole thing cost about $600.  

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:30:45 AM EDT
[#30]
vagina or fleshlight ?
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:31:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Take this advice.

Get some cheap department store ring for $100 as a placeholder so you can surprise her and propose, then go take her shopping with you and hammer out what she wants together.

That way you get the spontaneousness, and the ring-shopping together. Best of both worlds.

If you do go with diamond, look up an independent broker/importer. Buy a bare stone, it'll be significantly cheaper than a jewelry store's markup. Then get the ring/setting designed and made at a by-appointment custom jeweler. You'll get like twice the stone and ring for the price.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:32:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you consider a lab-produced diamond "fake"?

I don't.

It is EXACTLY the same, almost impossible to detect as different unless there's a serial number on it or they do some pretty complicated testing. The chemical composition, everything is the same. It's just where it was made. It's like getting water by combining pure hydrogen and pure oxygen together in a lab rather than scooping it out of the river... it IS water.

Now, CZ, etc, those are what I would consider "fake" diamonds. Because they aren't diamonds.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:33:45 AM EDT
[#33]
My girl wants a sapphire instead of a diamond. Fine with me.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Try that and see what happens

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:35:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Dont buy into the diamond market is a scam or blood diamond shit.  It is perpetuated by cheapskates.  99% of women want a diamond and will resent you for life if you dont get them one.  Its about impressing their friends.  Hell I would like a diamond more if I knew it was somehow involved in a civil war or genocide.  Its a cool backstory
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:35:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:37:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Of course she will say she doesn't care...she is smart enough to know that saying she doesn't care is exactly what you want to hear.  Just like you tell her  "I don't look at any other women now that I have found you!".  It is probably a test to find out exactly what you will do.  Keep in mind that she will talk with her girlfriends about her ring..diamond or CZ will of course come up..  How much is your reputation with her friends and family worth?  

I say go for the diamond.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:39:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't.

It is EXACTLY the same, almost impossible to detect as different unless there's a serial number on it or they do some pretty complicated testing. The chemical composition, everything is the same. It's just where it was made. It's like getting water by combining pure hydrogen and pure oxygen together in a lab rather than scooping it out of the river... it IS water.

Now, CZ, etc, those are what I would consider "fake" diamonds. Because they aren't diamonds.

I would not buy anything but a true diamond of the best quality I could afford for a union that is supposed to last last a lifetime. That's what I did. In 1995 that happened to be about $2800 for me.

It's not about face value, or durability, or political correctness. It's about putting a piece of you heart and soul on her finger. The whole thing may go south in a few years, but at least you will have started right.

Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does a rock have to do with relationships.  A rock has about as much to do with a relationship as a boar needing tits.

Anything I need to buy something that does nothing besides prove that I put a bunch of money into something worthless should be a test of how much of a man I am for resisting the test rather than completing the task.  Isn't part of being a man being responsible with money rather than blowing it on superfluous shit that I can't even resell to recoup the cost?
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:40:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
She fakes it you should too.

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:41:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't.

I would not buy anything but a true diamond of the best quality I could afford for a union that is supposed to last last a lifetime. That's what I did. In 1995 that happened to be about $2800 for me.

It's not about face value, or durability, or political correctness. It's about putting a piece of you heart and soul on her finger. The whole thing may go south in a few years, but at least you will have started right.

Just my opinion.

A synthetic diamond is a true diamond, and it will likely be a better quality than ANY natural diamond.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:41:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#43]
CZ - I got one for my wife to be.  The ring looks good, all her friends can't tell the differnce.  We are using the money saved to take kick ass honey moon.  Don't buy into all the BS most people aren't gemologist and can't tell one from the other.  If she needs a 5k ring as proof you love her then it's time to start shopping for a new woman not an expensive ring.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:43:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't.

They have a handheld tool that tests heat conductivity. They can tell pretty easily... Get the diamond dude. Dont be an idiot... 99.99% of girls want a diamond. Get the best one YOU CAN AFFORD (no need to go into massive debt) and if she loves you she will love it...

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:45:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't.

They have a handheld tool that tests heat conductivity. They can tell pretty easily... Get the diamond dude. Dont be an idiot... 99.99% of girls want a diamond. Get the best one YOU CAN AFFORD (no need to go into massive debt) and if she loves you she will love it...

Preytell, how does the thermal conductivity of a diamond from the ground differ from a diamond from a lab?
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't.

This is advice I will not be taking.

Oh, and BTW, I am sure my girl would rather go travel with me than have a ring.

I don't partake in the whole "the amount of money I throw at a ring = the amount I love her" scheme.  I'd rather spend that money spending time with her making our relationship better.  But that's just me.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just my opinion.

I'm glad you've been married for a long time, but don't you think that's a bit shallow? Financially speaking, how much better could that money have been used for?

Really that was one months salary at the time, not really that much. We both agreed to save and had an inexpensive but nice marriage ceremony hosted by our church that cost less than 1/3 of the the price of the ring.  People spend tens of thousands on weddings.

So I think we spent much less than we could have overall, but we both agreed going really cheap on the ring was not the way we wanted to start. It wasn't a huge rock but the .68 Carat VVSI in 18K gold looked nice on her finger.

In the end it's a personal choice. I couldn't look myself in the mirror if bought my bride a lab produced gem for an engagement ring.  Does that make me shallow?
I don't think so, but if others think so, so be it.

For what it's worth, last time we had it appraised for insurance, it was worth more than when we bought it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:52:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Man, am I glad I didn't have to worry about this. My finance's ring is a family heirloom.

Her great grandfather was an antiques dealer. He bought it back in the late 1800's.  

God only knows how old it is.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:56:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:56:56 AM EDT
[#50]

Are either of you Irish?

If so these are cool and not very pricey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claddagh_ring

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top