Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/10/2013 8:55:41 AM EDT
I know that Anton Lavey said that Ayn Rands books greatly influenced his ideas, but I was just curious if theres any others who have read some Rand and Lavey...do you think that Satanism was just objectivism in a new wrapper for those who crave ritual?

I find Laveys theories on individualism and self reliance and anti collectivism very compatible with Libertarian ideas, and feel like the parallels between the two havent been discussed too in depth

Satanism and objectivism from COS

Video comparing Paul Ryan to Rand and Lavey
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 8:57:02 AM EDT
[#1]
You post some weird shit, dude.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:01:08 AM EDT
[#2]
That's because many would hoist the BS Flag at the idea.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:01:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That's because many would hoist the BS Flag at the idea.

Move along then
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:02:08 AM EDT
[#4]
CT / Joined April 2013 / Low post count
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:03:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:03:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Satan is George Soros which is Barry's boss - that makes Barry a demon ....
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:03:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:03:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:03:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:07:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I know that Anton Lavey said that Ayn Rands books greatly influenced his ideas, but I was just curious if theres any others who have read some Rand and Lavey...do you think that Satanism was just objectivism in a new wrapper for those who crave ritual?

I find Laveys theories on individualism and self reliance and anti collectivism very compatible with Libertarian ideas, and feel like the parallels between the two havent been discussed too in depth

Huh?  Did you read the link you posted?

There are several, very significant differences highlighted in that article.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:08:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:10:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:10:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I just wandered over to make sure the level of derp in the thread was commensurate with the thread title.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:11:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ayn Rand promoted free will, being wiser than the others around you, and a thirst for learning.

Satan represents knowledge, free thinking, and the individual, and the thirst for more knowledge, as the Apple story says.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

there are a few, but you cannot deny the parallels.

I brought this up to see if anyone who is an Ayn Rand reader may have also read some Lavey.

No one is talking about worshipping a theistic version of satan, thats retarded.  Ayn Rand perceived religion to be a sign of psychological weakness, and Lavey basically wrote out guidelines for how Humans should act without the specter of religion
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:13:11 AM EDT
[#16]
6--6--6 the number of the beeast. Saaacrifiice is going on tonight.

Off to find that CD.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:13:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:13:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ayn Rand promoted free will, being wiser than the others around you, and a thirst for learning.

Satan represents knowledge, free thinking, and the individual, and the thirst for more knowledge, as the Apple story says.

Rand was an atheist.   She didn't believe any more in Satan than she did in Jesus.  Even dumber, is the idea that you equate knowledge, free thinking and and individualism with Satanism.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:14:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're really struggling!

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:14:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I just wandered over to make sure the level of derp in the thread was commensurate with the thread title.

This thread has exceeded the derp quota by 250%. If you need help in another thread to make quota, we can send in the OP.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:15:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Rand was an atheist.   She didn't believe any more in Satan than she did in Jesus.  Even dumber, is the idea that you equate knowledge, free thinking and and individualism with Satanism.

Even dumber, you just demonstrated you dont know what Satanism is.

Satan told the first humans to eat the Apple to gain more knowledge, so that God would not have a monoply on that power....sound familiar yet?

Maybe I should have posted this under books.  There really is no "derp" in here.  again, no one is bowing down and worshipping the dark prince, we are simply talking about Anton LAveys ideas and how they are similar to Ayn Rand.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:17:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Satanism is secular.  Has nothing to do with Satan or Jesus in the traditional sense.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:18:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Satanism is secular.  Has nothing to do with Satan or Jesus in the traditional sense.

thank you sir.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:18:54 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Show me where Rand professed that she was a Satanist.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:20:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

She didn't.  She said religion was a sign of psychological weakness.  Satanism is a form of atheism.  It is anti collective, heavy on individual liberty and reliance.  Its only called Satanism because the ideas in it are essentially the opposite of the bible.  as in man should live a free life for himself, not for god.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:21:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry that request is a derp level 5 and my clearance is only good up to derp level 4.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:22:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Pic of OP

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:24:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I brought this up to see if anyone who is an Ayn Rand reader may have also read some Lavey.

No one is talking about worshipping a theistic version of satan, thats retarded.  Ayn Rand perceived religion to be a sign of psychological weakness, and Lavey basically wrote out guidelines for how Humans should act without the specter of religion

Lol.  Are we reading the same article?

Satanism does not assert that the fundamental truth of the nature of reality (metaphysics) is known.

Satanism does not hold that “a life appropriate to a rational being” is the sole standard of ethical right as does Objectivism. If anything, Satanism holds that indulgence in life or “fun” as perceived by the individual is the highest standard of ethics.

The Satanic view sees as ethical the reality of domination of the weak by the strong. The assertion in Objectivism is that the use of force to cause others to submit to the will of the stronger or cleverer individual is "wrong" for the individual. This is a second major assertion which Satanism finds unproven by the Objectivists. Consequently, the Satanist is far more flexible in the choice of actions available than is the Objectivist who cannot simply accept his personal needs as absolutely reliable to determine the best course of action in any circumstance.

The Satanist also ascribes magical god-like qualities to himself when indulging in the alternate view of reality enjoyed in ritual. In both instances, Satanism sees the cultural effect of religion and god as an emotional asset to be tapped rather than simply rejected. In other words Satanism is a religion (with the individual as God) and Objectism isn't.  

Satanism enables the Satanist to codify his life beyond the ethical and metaphysical straightjacket which Objectivism unfortunately offers.  

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:24:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong, at least in part. It covers a broad spectrum, just like pretty much any other human pursuit.

Stupid name for it though, regardless. Just folks going to shock value IMO.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:25:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You post some weird shit, dude.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:31:51 AM EDT
[#31]

In I guess.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:34:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong, at least in part. It covers a broad spectrum, just like pretty much any other human pursuit.

Yeah true... I guess I was referring to LaVeyan Satanism.  Whatever floats their boat.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.  Are we reading the same article?

Satanism does not assert that the fundamental truth of the nature of reality (metaphysics) is known.

Satanism does not hold that “a life appropriate to a rational being” is the sole standard of ethical right as does Objectivism. If anything, Satanism holds that indulgence in life or “fun” as perceived by the individual is the highest standard of ethics.

The Satanic view sees as ethical the reality of domination of the weak by the strong. The assertion in Objectivism is that the use of force to cause others to submit to the will of the stronger or cleverer individual is "wrong" for the individual. This is a second major assertion which Satanism finds unproven by the Objectivists. Consequently, the Satanist is far more flexible in the choice of actions available than is the Objectivist who cannot simply accept his personal needs as absolutely reliable to determine the best course of action in any circumstance.

The Satanist also ascribes magical god-like qualities to himself when indulging in the alternate view of reality enjoyed in ritual. In both instances, Satanism sees the cultural effect of religion and god as an emotional asset to be tapped rather than simply rejected. In other words Satanism is a religion (with the individual as God) and Objectism isn't.  

Satanism enables the Satanist to codify his life beyond the ethical and metaphysical straightjacket which Objectivism unfortunately offers.  

Once again, I conceded that there were a few differences.  What Im trying to point out is the similarities in individualism.  You can keep pointing out the metaphysical differences though.  I think that LaVeys idea that greed=ambition=bettering yourself is an excellent way to describe self reliance.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:37:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Rand didn't believe in God or Satan IIRC.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:38:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah true... I guess I was referring to LaVeyan Satanism.  Whatever floats their boat.

You were referring to Lavey, and you were correct.

there is theistic satanists, to me their just as dumb as anyone else who believes in theism.  There is also groups like ONA, which are more militant lavey IMO, they believe in almost a eugenics like way of culling the population and rapid evolution, many far right groups in europe cling to this idea of nazi satanism or neo-volkisch.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:39:58 AM EDT
[#36]
I see someone else made it in this thread that ACTUALLY knows what Satanism is.

It has nothing to do with the worship of Satan

But I DID make it in before our resident R's that will jump all over the opportunity to call libertarians Satan-worshipers

While I see SOME parallels, there are far too many differences for me to call them similar.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:40:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Exactly!
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:44:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This thread has exceeded the derp quota by 250%. If you need help in another thread to make quota, we can send in the OP.

Now is that derp in proportion to the thread length so far, or quantified standalone derp units as measured by the Interrmagherdnational Standard?
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:46:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:46:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly!

But to believe that is to really believe in Satan.

(Just messin' with you.)
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:46:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now is that derp in proportion to the thread length so far, or quantified standalone derp units as measured by the Interrmagherdnational Standard?

Id say the derp goes to all those who think that someone is actually talking about worshipping a horned goat man
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#42]
For fuck's sake.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:49:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Satan told the first humans to eat the Apple to gain more knowledge, so that God would not have a monoply on that power....sound familiar yet?

Maybe I should have posted this under books.  There really is no "derp" in here.  again, no one is bowing down and worshipping the dark prince, we are simply talking about Anton LAveys ideas and how they are similar to Ayn Rand.

Most people think Satanism = sacrificing animals to the devil. Nothing could be further from the truth.
You picked the crappiest place on the whole internet to try and have a rational discussion about it all though.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:51:02 AM EDT
[#44]
I'll bite.  

I'm a Libertarian and an Atheist.  That means I don't believe in any supernatural stuff or beings or whatever.  

That said, in the HYPOTHETICAL case that the Bible was literally true in all of its words, I'd have to side with the Morning Star.  The God in that book is diabolical in terms of its behavior.  We're talking repeated genocide, infanticide, and constant psychological and physical torture of its victims to make them "love" and worship his divine self.  Sorry.  I'd have to rebel against a being like that and since Lucifer is already fighting the same fight, he's less of an enemy than the big guy himself.  

So cold God and Satan supposed to be able to kill each other or are they doomed to flail at each other like a couple of tards slap fighting over which one is the biggest doodoo head for all eternity?  If the latter, that's kind of funny.

If God hates sin, and Lucifer is sin embodied, and God is omnipotent, why doesn't he just obliterate Lucifer and all the sin in the universe?  Does the fact that he doesn't, indicate inability or a desire to keep sin in place?

As for libertarianism being the root of Satanism, I don't really care.  It's not my concern what use people have for the principles of liberty so long as they don't initiate force.  As long as they do that, I won't initiate force either.  I'll let the satanism experts  deal with the details.  

For the record, if you learned about satanism through another faith, you're not an expert any more than I am.  

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Most people think Satanism = sacrificing animals to the devil. Nothing could be further from the truth.
You picked the crappiest place on the whole internet to try and have a rational discussion about it all though.

Yes.  I dont belong to any other online forums.  I read reddit, but dont post.  I joined here due to the CT laws, I needed to stay in the loop.  I dont want to sign up at another site to discuss crap like this.  I know theres libertarians here, and I feel like Lavey is very compatible with libertarianism.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#47]
One acknowledges that man's inherent nature is beastly.

the other doesn't.

so they are quite different.  One is more fundamentally correct.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:54:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'll bite.  

I'm a Libertarian and an Atheist.  That means I don't believe in any supernatural stuff or beings or whatever.  

That said, in the HYPOTHETICAL case that the Bible was literally true in all of its words, I'd have to side with the Morning Star.  The God in that book is diabolical in terms of its behavior.  We're talking repeated genocide, infanticide, and constant psychological and physical torture of its victims to make them "love" and worship his divine self.  Sorry.  I'd have to rebel against a being like that and since Lucifer is already fighting the same fight, he's less of an enemy than the big guy himself.  

So cold God and Satan supposed to be able to kill each other or are they doomed to flail at each other like a couple of tards slap fighting over which one is the biggest doodoo head for all eternity?  If the latter, that's kind of funny.

If God hates sin, and Lucifer is sin embodied, and God is omnipotent, why doesn't he just obliterate Lucifer and all the sin in the universe?  Does the fact that he doesn't, indicate inability or a desire to keep sin in place?

As for libertarianism being the root of Satanism, I don't really care.  It's not my concern what use people have for the principles of liberty so long as they don't initiate force.  As long as they do that, I won't initiate force either.  I'll let the satanism experts  deal with the details.  

For the record, if you learned about satanism through another faith, you're not an expert any more than I am.  

Accoridng to the bible, God has killed about 2,083,344 people.

According to the bible, Satan has killed 10.  I think this is why Lavey called it Satanism, Satan as a character basically represents all normal human instincts.  and I dig your sig.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:55:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm giving the OP the benefit of the doubt and assuming he is hardcore trolling and not actually as stupid as he is coming across.

Maybe you can explain why Im stupid?
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:55:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  I dont belong to any other online forums.  I read reddit, but dont post.  I joined here due to the CT laws, I needed to stay in the loop.  I dont want to sign up at another site to discuss crap like this.  I know theres libertarians here, and I feel like Lavey is very compatible with libertarianism.

there are some similarities, if it wasnt called 'satanism' people wouldnt be so put off about it. I think at the core it is mostly about live and let live, pleasure and not being bound by perceived chains of a religion. Its been well over a decade since I studied it though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top