Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 9/18/2015 10:41:25 AM EDT
My background is in computer engineering. At Penn State, that meant a good mix of computer science and electrical engineering.

In both my CE and EE labs, we built a lot of simple devices to help teach us about electronics in reality. CD players and clocks were among them.

I bring this up because the digital clocks that we would build - using various displays and drivers to teach you how to drive a clock with a counter, an FPGA, a microcontroller, whatever - looked NOTHING like what this kid made. You don't have a briefcase (or a pencil case that looks like a miniature briefcase) with wires sticking out of it.

There is zero chance that this was not done intentionally. This was engineered to look exactly like a bomb and get a reaction. This was done intentionally to make some sort of statement, most likely with the assistance of his radical father.

He even said that he "didn't think he would get this far." I wonder what that means? Almost like it was planned or something.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:47:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Dont worry. When he gets older he'll clame he did it on purpose as a protest or some shit about raising awareness, not that he's a fucking dipshit. It will be his thing, and he'll write a blog about how bad he has it in the US.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:47:31 AM EDT
[#2]
For someone who doesn't know, what's "wrong" with it? I see a clock screen and some microcontroller gizmos.

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:49:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My background is in computer engineering. At Penn State, that meant a good mix of computer science and electrical engineering.

In both my CE and EE labs, we built a lot of simple devices to help teach us about electronics in reality. CD players and clocks were among them.

I bring this up because the digital clocks that we would build - using various displays and drivers to teach you how to drive a clock with a counter, an FPGA, a microcontroller, whatever - looked NOTHING like what this kid made. You don't have a briefcase with wires sticking out of it.

There is zero chance that this was not done intentionally. This was engineered to look exactly like a bomb and get a reaction. This was done intentionally to make some sort of statement, most likely with the assistance of his radical father.

He even said that he "didn't think he would get this far." I wonder what that means? Almost like it was planned or something.
View Quote

Pencil case, not a briefcase.

Are you aware that he showed this to his Engineering teacher earlier in the day?  Why would he do that if he was hoping to get a bomb reaction?
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:50:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I bring this up because the digital clocks that we would build - using various displays and drivers to teach you how to drive a clock with a counter, an FPGA, a microcontroller, whatever - looked NOTHING like what this kid made. You don't have a briefcase with wires sticking out of it.

Yep

Look at the case relative to the 9v battery connector and the electrical plug.  It is a pretty tiny case and no where near the size of a briefcase.

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:50:41 AM EDT
[#5]
From what I've heard he just bought a clock, took it apart, then put it back together in a briefcase. Don't know if its true, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Libs (and Muslims) are saying the only reason he got 'arrested' was because he's Muslim and named Mohammed.

I say the only reason Obama invited him to the White House is because he's Muslim. No way he would have invited some sandy-haired kid named Billy.

Fuck Baracco Bomma.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:51:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
From what I've heard he just bought a clock, took it apart, then put it back together in a briefcase. Don't know if its true, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was.
View Quote

Pencil case, but yes, that's basically what he did.  Threw it together in 20 minutes, took it to his Engineering teacher hoping to impress him.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:51:30 AM EDT
[#8]
This has been blown way out of proportion, just like the little kid who made a 'gun' out of a poptart.

The main difference is the 'bomb' kid is meeting the President, and the poptart kid has a permanent mark on his record.

Sad, really
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:51:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For someone who doesn't know, what's "wrong" with it? I see a clock screen and some microcontroller gizmos.

http://i.imgur.com/zMKphmc.jpg
View Quote

All his dad did was buy one of the consumer clocks with a big display and screw it into the case. The ribbons connecting the display and buttons are soldered by a machine... The PCB and pins are also clearly machine assembled. Why would you etch a separate PCB for just the buttons?... you wouldn't.. Not to mention the power cable
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#10]
From what I've read he didn't 'build a clock' - he took the components out of a working clock and had them running outside of their case.  Kind of like the kid who takes the toaster apart and burns himself on the nichrome wire.  Or the kid who takes the stereo speaker out of it's cabinet and watches it pulse to the music.  I played around with batteries and LEDs and other electronic components when I was a kid, his 'clock' looks like something I may have assembled.  I don't get the impression that he was trying to make it look like a bomb.

He seemed to me like an average goofy, geeky teenage boy.  He'll probably have a good future as an appliance repairman.

<EDIT - too late, I see people had the same train of thought on the clock build>
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:52:29 AM EDT
[#11]
That simply does not look like any clock I have built. These do:

There are way more electronics there than necessary for a "clock." There are way more cables. I would be almost certain that a lot of that stuff is unnecessary.

Also, those of you defending this are no doubt not listening to the kid who's already let it slip that he was well aware it looked suspicious and has already been collecting grievances.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:53:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Leaning toward SJW stunt on this one.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Libs (and Muslims) are saying the only reason he got 'arrested' was because he's Muslim and named Mohammed.

I say the only reason Obama invited him to the White House is because he's Muslim. No way he would have invited some sandy-haired kid named Billy.

Fuck Baracco Bomma.
View Quote

This whole thing has yielded the result the kid/dad wanted, which was to create a scene in order to prove some kind of point.  Why not try to build a clock like the Swiss do in making watches?  Not so complicated mind you, but the whole mechanical action and such is just as complicated as an electronic clock, if not moreso.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:54:11 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm sure the kid is a distant relation of someone Valerie Jarrett knew back when. That's why we are talking about it.

More white guilt + more critical theory + cultural equivalence = less opposition to unchecked, govrnment sponsored mass immigration of an unskilled, non western parasitic underclass.

Now, that's some good alinsky! Agenda 21/ Cloward Piven here we come!  

ETA  - I,hate apple.

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

You mean the clocks you built in your engineering lab at Penn State didn't look like a clock that a 14 year old made?  <gasp>  

You either have very low expectations for your engineering program or very high expectations for a 14yo.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#16]

The night before he meets the President, ISIS kidnaps the boy's mother and begins skinning her with a vegetable peeler until he cooperates.

They stick a pound of C4 up his ass and a relay in his special "clock"...

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:56:31 AM EDT
[#17]

I heard his dad was a well known individual. Not exactly sure on what grounds.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:56:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Dry run
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#19]
To me, it doesn't look like he designed or even "built" anything.

Looks like he stripped the guts (the circuit board, power supply and display) out of an alarm clock/radio and just placed them in a cheap storage box.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:57:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Absolutely agree.

Kids do dumb things. This time the lie worked.

He fashioned something made to look threatening.

Terrorist? No.
Victim of Islamaphobia? No.
Dumb kid? Yes.

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:58:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You mean the clocks you built in your engineering lab at Penn State didn't look like a clock that a 14 year old made?  <gasp>  

You either have very low expectations for your engineering program or very high expectations for a 14yo.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He didn't build that PCB.  That comes out of a commercial product- probably an electronic clock.  My fucking cousin was 8 years old when he started pulling apart commercial electronics and putting them into different cases.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:58:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

And just seeing "Penn State" and "14 yr. old" in the same sentence skeeves me out
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Tinfoil on:
He did it so when they send real bombs are brought into our schools by minihadis, they won't be called in because of the big stink it made this time.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#24]
He didn't build the clock.  He just took apart one and shoved the innards into a different box.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:02:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In general, the clocks that we built as 19 and 20 year old college students were not terribly advanced. These were introductory labs. We got significantly more advanced as we got older, and for what it's worth we actually did make our own PCBs. That's probably cost-prohibitive for most "teens," but breadboards, EEPROMS, and small ICs are not. You can easily build a simple clock with things you can find at Radio Shack (or whatever alternative exists today).

That said, for a supposed "whiz kid" who's been contacted by MIT and invited to the White House, yes, I would damn well expect that he would be able to make something more impressive than that.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Absolutely agree.

Kids do dumb things. This time the lie worked.

He fashioned something made to look threatening.

Terrorist. No?
Victim of Islamaphobia? No.
Dumb kid? Yes.

View Quote

But, can it be this easy to be an attention whore and get within striking distance of the POTUS ?? ........................................  

With this dumb ass administration, my answer would have to be YES !!

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Pencil case, but yes, that's basically what he did.  Threw it together in 20 minutes, took it to his Engineering teacher hoping to impress him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So the kid isn't a genius electronics guru like the media is saying. That's fine. I did the same stuff when I was that age, basically tinkering on stuff to figure things out. Probably better than most kids playing on Facebook all day.

I think the teacher is an idiot for knowing so little that he/she couldn't determine is was just a bunch of garbage. If he was being a dipshit with the police and not explaining what it was or hinting it was anything but a harmless electronics project, I can see arresting him. But after being told it was just a clock and verifying it, they still arrested him. Zero tolerance = zero intelligence.

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:02:39 AM EDT
[#28]
In before mass child terrorist attack.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:02:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Before I learned of his attention whore father I thought that it's just not a good idea to bring something like that to school. After all the school mass killings, heightened terrorism, just think a bit first. The school doesn't want that shit there even if it does just kind of look a little like a bomb, or gun, or chemicals, whatever. Now with this shit with his dad, who knows. Best thing Barry O could do is just step out of it, call the whole garden party off. He probably won't though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:04:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

In general, the clocks that we built as 19 and 20 year old college students were not terribly advanced. These were introductory labs. We got significantly more advanced as we got older, and for what it's worth we actually did make our own PCBs. That's probably cost-prohibitive for most "teens," but breadboards, EEPROMS, and small ICs are not. You can easily build a simple clock with things you can find at Radio Shack (or whatever alternative exists today).

That said, for a supposed "whiz kid" who's been contacted by MIT and invited to the White House, yes, I would damn well expect that he would be able to make something more impressive than that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remember, it's GD.................  you'll end up  

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:06:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

If I were going to make a mimic bomb, I think I'd put some fake explosives in it somewhere.

You don't know what it looked like before they tore it apart during inspection.

By your theory, the kid knew in advance the teachers would be too stupid to see there was no fake explosives and just assume it's a bomb cause they saw something like it in a Hollywood movie and he furthered his ruse by claiming it was a clock from the very beginning.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:06:59 AM EDT
[#32]
He should have built a toaster so they could have invited the pop tart terrorist with them to the White House. Never mind, he is white.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:07:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKjlB1aLplDGh9qnaTMI0YVIi9vxZpNzMEZeVYTKQiNdWAPdIr

http://www.electronics-lab.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Mini_7-Segment_Clock.png

http://embedded-lab.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/TitleImage.jpg

There are way more electronics there than necessary for a "clock." There are way more cables. I would be almost certain that a lot of that stuff is unnecessary.

Also, those of you defending this are no doubt not listening to the kid who's already let it slip that he was well aware it looked suspicious and has already been collecting grievances.
View Quote

So you were building timers for a bomb?
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:08:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Gavin McInnes wrote a post calling the whole thing out as a PR stunt. The father is a notorious troll.

http://streetcarnage.com/blog/a-little-kid-just-punked-the-president/

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:08:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

He didn't build that PCB.  That comes out of a commercial product- probably an electronic clock.  My fucking cousin was 8 years old when he started pulling apart commercial electronics and putting them into different cases.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get that.  My point is that the OP should not expect a 14yo to "build" a clock that resembles anything like he does in a college engineering lab.  Do you really expect a 14yo to build a clock from scratch?  Order some parts from DigiKey, breadboard everything, solder it all together, program the controller, and package it up in a fancy plastic box?  

He's a kid that took something apart, f'd around with it, and "made" a clock.  BFD.  He put more thought and effort into that personal project than most of his classmates will put into their school projects all semester.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:08:55 AM EDT
[#36]
I have 3 boys and if one made that my first observation is that it looks "bomb like".

If I was Muslim on top of all that I just don't see how dad didn't think it thru.

Added to all that didn't he bring this to school on 9/11?

Just cause you can doesn't mean you should.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:10:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

He did it so when they send real bombs are brought into our schools by minihadis, they won't be called in because of the big stink it made this time.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:10:49 AM EDT
[#38]
The fact it made it through numerous hands, including the moronic police, without being recognized as nothing but a consumer device with no case is most troubling. These people must literally have zero intelligence. There isn't even anything there that appears as an explosive charge. FFS you can readily see the 110v cord and transformer.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:11:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Yep

Look at the case relative to the 9v battery connector and the electrical plug.  It is a pretty tiny case and no where near the size of a briefcase.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep

Exactly.

It doesn't look like a bomb. If there were fake blocks of C4 or Dynamite, I would condemn his actions. But there was none of that. The kid was tinkering with electronics, taking things apart and re-arranging them. That is how you learn how things work. Most people know bombs form Hollywood, not real life. Modern IEDs are usually attached to a brick Nokia or similar phone.

This kid did NOTHING wrong. The ONLY reason anyone here is condemning him is he is a Muslim. That is probably the only reason he was given any shit at all - but considering schools flip out over toy GI JOE guns or pop tarts looking like guns, they may have flipped out even if he was white. (After all, worst bombing on US soil was a white vet.) But all of those cases are bullshit.

All this hand wringing and suspicion is bullshit. You sound like a liberal who says my CCW makes likely to go shoot a place up.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Where's the potato?
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:12:11 AM EDT
[#41]
love how Obama couldn't invite him to the White House fast enough to discuss all that #racismUSA

what deluxe turd he is
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

If I were going to make a mimic bomb, I think I'd put some fake explosives in it somewhere.

By your theory, the kid knew in advance the teachers would be too stupid to see there was no fake explosives and just assume it's a bomb cause they saw something like it in a Hollywood movie and he furthered his ruse by claiming it was a clock from the very beginning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Fake explosives" or whatever would leave no doubt that it's designed to look like a bomb. Making a sloppy clock by doing as much wrong as he did - multiple power sources, an odd choice for a case, loose wires, a cable tie - well that's designed to cause at the very least confusion and ideally the response he get. There would be no sympathy if it was obvious. This was designed to invoke zero tolerance laws and get this reaction - both from the school and law enforcement as well as the self-loathing liberals everywhere else.

There is just this image the media is portraying that some cute kid brought in a little homemade Mickey Mouse alarm clock with bells and stuff and was hogtied and sprayed with pork fat. Reality paints a far different picture.

My main contention is that if he was trying to build a clock, it wouldn't look anything like that. If he were trying to build a benign device that would be mistaken for a bomb by many people, then it would look exactly like that.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:12:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Whatever the case is, it's still a step towards freedom if they apologize to the kid. Hopefully school admins/staff/teachers across the country don't make the same mistake and shit themselves when they see kids playing with imaginary guns.

I know some old-timers on these forums and elsewhere mentioned that back in their day, nobody had a problem with kids bringing guns to school and plinking/hunting afterwards. While we might not get there any time soon, responses like these are gradually setting things on the right track.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:14:06 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
"Fake explosives" or whatever would leave no doubt that it's designed to look like a bomb. Making a sloppy clock by doing as much wrong as he did - multiple power sources, an odd choice for a case, loose wires, a cable tie - well that's designed to cause at the very least confusion and ideally the response he get. There would be no sympathy if it was obvious. This was designed to invoke zero tolerance laws and get this reaction - both from the school and law enforcement as well as the self-loathing liberals everywhere else.

There is just this image the media is portraying that some cute kid brought in a little homemade Mickey Mouse alarm clock with bells and stuff and was hogtied and sprayed with pork fat. Reality paints a far different picture.

My main contention is that if he was trying to build a clock, it wouldn't look anything like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My main contention is that if he was trying to build a clock, it wouldn't look anything like that.

He didn't build anything.  

He stripped the guts out of an alarm clock and put them in that case.  That is why there is a 110 cord and a 9v battery terminal(power outage backup).  

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote

It's all about money.  

Get arrested, claim religious discrimination, file lawsuit, get a check.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKjlB1aLplDGh9qnaTMI0YVIi9vxZpNzMEZeVYTKQiNdWAPdIr

http://www.electronics-lab.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Mini_7-Segment_Clock.png

http://embedded-lab.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/TitleImage.jpg

View Quote

He took apart a store bought clock and installed in the pencil case.
the GD defenders will be along shortly to call you a xenophobic racist that hates anything muslim.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:17:14 AM EDT
[#48]

Pencil case.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:21:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

My main contention is that if he was trying to build a clock, it wouldn't look anything like that. If he were trying to build a benign device that would be mistaken for a bomb by many people, then it would look exactly like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My son designed and assembled a simple spark-gap telegraph transmitter in 4th grade.  It was an inefficient mess and cannibalized a lot of broken scrap electronics from my workshop, but it worked and he was damn proud of it.

You're being a paranoid dumbass.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:21:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

He didn't "make" a clock. He took a commercially manufactured clock out of its case and put it in a new case. Big deal.

When I was 11, I was building stuff out of chips, transistors, and other discrete components. Nobody proclaimed me a genius or invited me to NASA.

This mess has went from idiots thinking his clock was a bomb to idiots thinking his clock is a hand soldered expression of genius.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top