Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 12/21/2015 9:16:59 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:18:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Good on them
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:21:16 AM EDT
[#2]
For those not familiar - Mapelsville is a small town at a crossroad in Alabama with a population under 1000 (my folks live there).
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:23:11 AM EDT
[#3]
This will be great.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:24:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Honestly, the police should probably have some basic fire and maneuver training. It's sorely lacking now and would obviously be useful in some active shooter type scenarios. For most agencies anything other than stacking on a door becomes disorganized clown shoes.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:25:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This will be great.
View Quote

This will be predictable.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:28:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Which one is you Bama?
And it does make since for a small department like that to have a basic understanding of small team tactics.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:30:01 AM EDT
[#7]
In before the Mraps roll on in to the thread.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:31:32 AM EDT
[#8]
In.........
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:32:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Oh, get ready for the arfcom outrage about their cargo pockets.

It's true, the skill set needed is much more infantry MOUT like than standard report and arrest taking.  

Most PD's, other than a few veterans don't really have much other than a couple sessions under their belt.   Drilling is really the only way to build a skillset.  

My chief bitch is the PDs that will do one days training or maybe even a weekend and feel they got their guys up to speed on this for an emergency and never or rarely come back to brush up.  You now have management that thinks they can send the local PD traffic cop in swat style with strangers and it will all be the same as a well drilled SWAT (or infantry) team.  I don't SWAT but I recognize that to be good at it requires drills and repetition and team building.  (Not always a luxury you can afford when the school has a nutcake with a gun in it).  At least that Department is doing team building.  Knowing what the other guys in your team are going to/likely going to do is immense.  You want to push in a room and find the guy behind you stopped in the doorway while you button hooked?   Guess who is the only target most likely.

It sucks but this is the world we live in.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:33:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Well here we go I can't wait for people to flip their shit.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:37:14 AM EDT
[#11]
What a load of horse shit. Small town America is preparing to do battle because the Obama federal government can't quit social justice warrioring long enough to protect and defend it's citizens as required by the constitution.

Am I wrong?
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:38:36 AM EDT
[#12]
LOL.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:43:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

JADE HELM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???!?!?!?!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:43:16 AM EDT
[#14]
First, I don't think that people are going to flip their shit about this. We all realize that the world is a more dangerous place and as San Bernadino and Paris showed, the terrorists are changing tactics. Police will be asked to perform as infantry against teams with rifles acting as soldiers, they need some training and gear to meet the task.

Second, people bitch about militarization because they are ignorant of the threat or they have experienced an overly gung-ho cop in battle dress serving and protecting the shit out of them and it leaves a bad taste in their mouth. The wrong house no knocks, the no knocks for misdemeanor citations and the general asshattery of the wannabe tacti-ninjas have led to the "Oh no militarization!" cries, not cargo pockets or AR15s. (The MRAPs may have something to do with it though.)

It's not the clothes, it's not the equipment and it's not the training that causes problems. As with most things, it's assholes that cause problems. I for one am glad that these men are taking their jobs seriously enough to seek out and do additional training.

God speed and protect them.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:44:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Idea is good but maybe better to coordinate with their local SD etc.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:48:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Good for them.  Be prepared.

I do, however, hope they train to be prepared for armed citizens that may be defending themselves.  This will be very important if anything did break out.  Police need to get out of the mindset that everyone who has a gun is a target.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
First, I don't think that people are going to flip their shit about this. We all realize that the world is a more dangerous place and as San Bernadino and Paris showed, the terrorists are changing tactics. Police will be asked to perform as infantry against teams with rifles acting as soldiers, they need some training and gear to meet the task.

Second, people bitch about militarization because they are ignorant of the threat or they have experienced an overly gung-ho cop in battle dress serving and protecting the shit out of them and it leaves a bad taste in their mouth. The wrong house no knocks, the no knocks for misdemeanor citations and the general asshattery of the wannabe tacti-ninjas have led to the "Oh no militarization!" cries, not cargo pockets or AR15s. (The MRAPs may have something to do with it though.)

It's not the clothes, it's not the equipment and it's not the training that causes problems. As with most things, it's assholes that cause problems. I for one am glad that these men are taking their jobs seriously enough to seek out and do additional training.

View Quote

Nicely said.  Well done.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:53:53 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:54:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:57:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For those not familiar - Mapelsville is a small town at a crossroad in Alabama with a population under 1000 (my folks live there).
View Quote

Thank God our small, unknown towns are preparing so well.

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:59:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Good on them. It's good to see cops take some initiative.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:00:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:01:42 AM EDT
[#23]

May as well train for the inevitable, better than standing around with your dick in your hand.

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:02:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Maplesville has a PD? I figured it would be covered by the SO as small as it is.

eta: good on them. I think every person (sound mind/body, cop or not) should train like this.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:03:32 AM EDT
[#25]
I am all one for being prepared but it is just one more instance of the militarization of police.   And it has me wondering why a school?  It reminds me of what col Dave Grossman said about Chechnya
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:03:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Small town cops= good for them protecting freedom from terrrrrists

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:12:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:15:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I am all one for being prepared but it is just one more instance of the militarization of police.   And it has me wondering why a school?  It reminds me of what col Dave Grossman said about Chechnya
View Quote

What do you want your local cops to be able to handle?  There could be a need for such tactics in a small town school.  Do some research on Columbine.  For a small school, do some research on Nickel Mine.

Try to keep up with current events, and quit thinking the Mayberry model of policing is realistic.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:32:03 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

In before the Mraps roll on in to the thread.
View Quote
They'd have to wait for them to come 15 miles from Clanton (pop, 8,500).

" />

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:36:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:40:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Good on them
View Quote

Agreed

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:44:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

This well written and thought out post has no place in GD. You've been here long enough to know that.

On a serious note; very well said.

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:47:24 AM EDT
[#34]

is that george washington in the background?     the king of england???    who??
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's pretty dumb. I live in a town of 1200 and we have no cops. Just the county sheriff.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:48:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The name changes, but the op goes on...
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:53:37 AM EDT
[#37]

“It doesn’t get any better than live-fire training,” Maplesville police officer Josh Hammond said. “When you’re taking and returning fire, the battlefield can become very confusing.
View Quote

I have a huge issue with a police officer thinking he's on a battlefield.  This is the mentality that rolls swat teams with MRAPs for a truancy violation or some shit.

Let's picture this:

Oh my God, Isis came to Jerkwood and took a bunch of kids hostage.  Should we wait for professionals?  Naw, fire up the MRAP and load the 249!  Remember!  Don't shoot the little children!  Yeeeehaw!
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:58:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:59:25 AM EDT
[#39]
If I could afford an MRAP it would be my daily driver.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:59:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:14:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I have a huge issue with a police officer thinking he's on a battlefield.  This is the mentality that rolls swat teams with MRAPs for a truancy violation or some shit.

Let's picture this:

Oh my God, Isis came to Jerkwood and took a bunch of kids hostage.  Should we wait for professionals?  Naw, fire up the MRAP and load the 249!  Remember!  Don't shoot the little children!  Yeeeehaw!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

“It doesn’t get any better than live-fire training,” Maplesville police officer Josh Hammond said. “When you’re taking and returning fire, the battlefield can become very confusing.

Let's picture this:

Terrorists conducting a mass shooting make it a battlefield.
You need to move past the verbiage being used and focus more on the reason why the training is necessary.
If you had kids in a school being attacked by terrorists would you want the local LE to wait for "the professionals"?
If so thats a piss poor plan.
Read about the theater in Paris. The people inside were texting and tweeting, begging the cops to storm the place.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Let's picture this:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

"It doesn’t get any better than live-fire training,” Maplesville police officer Josh Hammond said. "When you’re taking and returning fire, the battlefield can become very confusing.

Let's picture this:

My feelings also.

Statistically its the safest time to be alive but everyone is looking for the boogeyman around every jerkwater corner.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:25:01 AM EDT
[#43]
This must piss off 0 and the dems
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What do you want your local cops to be able to handle?  There could be a need for such tactics in a small town school.  Do some research on Columbine.  For a small school, do some research on Nickel Mine.

Try to keep up with current events, and quit thinking the Mayberry model of policing is realistic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, one bullet only and they have to carry it in their pocket.
And by default my col Grossman comment should indicate that I do keep up on current events and can obviously read a book
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:33:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My feelings also.

Statistically its the safest time to be alive but everyone is looking for the boogeyman around every jerkwater corner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"It doesn’t get any better than live-fire training,” Maplesville police officer Josh Hammond said. "When you’re taking and returning fire, the battlefield can become very confusing.

Let's picture this:

My feelings also.

Yeah I just don't understand why emergency responders would train for any possible threat they could encounter in today's world.

Do you carry a gun for personal protection? Do you keep 1 at home for that same purpose?
Do you train with them? Why?
The chance of you needing them is actually pretty slim.

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:33:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This will be great.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:37:13 AM EDT
[#47]
I had to look that town up on the map.

Yea,
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

And by default my col Grossman comment should indicate that I do keep up on current events and can obviously read a book
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do me a favor, and put the Grossman quote you referenced in this tread, please.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:50:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My feelings also.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's picture this:

My feelings also.

I'm sure you have started leaving your CCW at home then, since statistically you won't ever need it?
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because active killers attack schools...

And they're also empty for a few months during the summer and a couple weeks around Christmas.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top