Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 8/9/2017 1:05:19 PM EDT
Amid heightened tensions in the region, Beijing staged 'large-scale' military exercises with dozens of ships, fighter jets and submarines adjacent to the Korean Peninsula on Monday - just months after moving 150,000 troops to its border with North Korea. Russia, meanwhile, moved military equipment including helicopters and combat vehicles to its southern frontier with the hermit state earlier this year. Moscow has displayed its own frightening military strength at a war games event in Siberia this week and during a vast Navy Day parade in Vladivostok - about 100 miles from North Korean territory. 
View Quote
Trump ratchets up tension with North Korea

So here is the question that I have:

Is this just a prudent move by China and Russia to ensure that any war on the Korean Peninsula doesn't spill over into their borders, or is everyone gearing up for WWIII?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:06:19 PM EDT
[#1]
The Chair is against the wall.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:06:41 PM EDT
[#2]
WWIII
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:08:19 PM EDT
[#3]
They don't want 25 million starving, brainwashed people with virtually zero skill set flooding across the border.
Then it becomes their problem
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:08:32 PM EDT
[#4]
China and Russia don't want a war with us.
They're worried about the refugees spilling across their boarders and having to deal with the humanitarian crisis while the world watches.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:08:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Its a move to ensure there will be a buffer state between them and us.

plus there will be tons of refugee's if shit hits the fan.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:09:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Is this just a prudent move by China and Russia to ensure that any war on the Korean Peninsula doesn't spill over into their borders, or is everyone gearing up for WWIII?
View Quote

I think it's prudent.  Russia, China and the US have good gigs going, so starting WWIII over North Korea doesn't seem to be in the cards, IMO.

Having 25M starving NORKS flooding over their borders would be a major problem, however.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:10:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
WWIII
View Quote
I hope the US has all it's ducks in a row when they hit NK.

China or Russia may make take advantage and move while the US is wrapped up in the NK conflict.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I think they are just protecting themselves. I don't see either country attacking us over NK because attacking us would be suicide.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:12:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I feel soooo much better we have Trump in charge and not obama or hilary
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:12:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They don't want 25 million starving, brainwashed people with virtually zero skill set flooding across the border.
View Quote
Yes, no doubt the fighters and submarines are just the thing to stem the flow of refugees.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I hope the US has all it's ducks in a row when they hit NK.

China or Russia may make take advantage and move while the US is wrapped up in the NK conflict.
View Quote
Why would Russia want in on the deal?

I thought him and fatman weren't really that tight anymore
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:12:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
China and Russia don't want a war with us.
They're worried about the refugees spilling across their boarders and having to deal with the humanitarian crisis while the world watches.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:13:17 PM EDT
[#13]
China wont risk letting SK and the US take NK and have a shared border. They like the buffer that NK provides between us. If anything China will "take" NK and prop up some puppet leader controlled by Beijing that is far less insane and will allow China access to the trillions in mine-able resources under NK.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:14:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Front row seats
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:14:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:14:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
dozens of ships, fighter jets and submarines adjacent to the Korean Peninsula on Monday - just months after moving 150,000 troops to its border with North Korea. Russia, meanwhile, moved military equipment including helicopters and combat vehicles to its southern frontier with the hermit state earlier this yea
They need ships, subs, 150,000 troops and the rest to stop starving refugees?

If it takes all that to stop UNARMED people, we are going to lose this conflict.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:14:52 PM EDT
[#17]
This should really be China's problem.  China is who should be taking Kim out.  There doesn't look to be a whole lot he could do to stop them.

Is China still afraid that the PLA is as bad as it was in 1979, when they were defeated by Vietnam?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Freedom boner is in place!
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:16:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yes, no doubt the fighters and submarines are just the thing to stem the flow of refugees.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
President Trump's policies have instilled a sudden brand of "not our side of the ocean" pacificism in the unlikeliest of people.  He really is a miracle worker.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Its a move to ensure there will be a buffer state between them and us.

plus there will be tons of refugee's if shit hits the fan.
View Quote
So instead  of a North Korea,  we are going to have NW and NE Koreas? Which one would be Best Korea?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:16:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
The US was having problems running a few fronts in the middle east.  A major conflict will stretch the military very very thin.
This won't be no Wolverine bullshit in this fantasy land.

China a Russia are very tight with each other.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:16:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Front row seats
View Quote
Whiskey Whiskey Tres
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#23]
They (or at least China) already had what they needed in place to keep the refugees from coming over the borders.

I'm afraid the additional hardware being placed there now is something else entirely.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:20:36 PM EDT
[#24]
It is a prudent move for China to depose Kim and restart DPRK as a client state without Kim's baggage.

DPRK has value more value to the Chinese without Kim than with at this point.

The West would celebrate such a move as an indication of world wide unity against crazy people/hopeandaheyandashanana. China will simply see it as a necessary adjustment in their hegemony.

Deposing Kim and instituting some market reform in DPRK (like the ability to outsource their labor to the ROKs) will inject cash into DPRK and thus, weapons sales for China.

Im surprised they havent done it already. Probably waiting for the western MSM to raise things to a fever pitch so they can swoop in with unanimous world applause.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:22:15 PM EDT
[#25]
way to go Bill
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Amid heightened tensions in the region, Beijing staged 'large-scale' military exercises with dozens of ships, fighter jets and submarines adjacent to the Korean Peninsula on Monday - just months after moving 150,000 troops to its border with North Korea. Russia, meanwhile, moved military equipment including helicopters and combat vehicles to its southern frontier with the hermit state earlier this year. Moscow has displayed its own frightening military strength at a war games event in Siberia this week and during a vast Navy Day parade in Vladivostok - about 100 miles from North Korean territory. 
View Quote

View Quote

Pre-positioning all of those assets under the guise of an exercise is their way of saying that if we attempt to do something preemptive about NK...they will respond.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#28]
China and Russia are only moving in to scoop up what coal is left after we carpet bomb Pyongyang.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:23:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I think for china they may be considering ousting kim jong un. If they do that they get to instill someone more sane  and still sympathetic to the communist party. if crazy kim comes after the US. Then the US and south korea stomp his ass into the ground and one of two things happen. 1. united korea under a capitalist friendly leader or 2. we pick a leader that would be more sympathetic to our interests. and as china's buffer between the west either one is undesirable to china. Sure china could do it more quietly and more discretely but it gives them the politcal leverage at the UN if they make a show of it as well as some good PR to the world at large
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:24:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think we're on our way to WW3
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:24:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

China a Russia are very tight with each other.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:25:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote
I'm starting to worry it's the latter.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Pre-positioning all of those assets under the guise of an exercise is their way of saying that if we attempt to do something preemptive about NK...they will respond.
View Quote
There is no way China will go to war with the US over North Korea again. There is no sunshine at the end of that tunnel.

We hold all the purse strings in China. They go to bat with us now and they collapse from within even if it stays conventional.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:26:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
excellant point. This is not defensive.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:26:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Can I get a mention when bombs get dropped? 
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:29:09 PM EDT
[#36]
This is it boys, toe to toe Nuclear Combat with the Russkies.....

Chinese.....

NORKs......      

Hell all three..........
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:30:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:30:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
There is no way China will go to war with the US over North Korea again. There is no sunshine at the end of that tunnel.

We hold all the purse strings in China. They go to bat with us now and they collapse from within even if it stays conventional.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am suspicious that China sees a war with the United States is inevitable. If not over North Korea, then over the South China Sea and if not over the South China Sea then over Taiwan. Xi and the commies may be coming to the conclusion that they are going to have to fight us sooner or later, and they may be chasing North Korea as the venue. 
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#39]
A question for the Arf experts.  How will China depose Kim if Kim doesn't want to be deposed?  Do the have assets in place to assassinate him? Would they do it militarily if he threatens to set off a nuke or attack Guam or Seoul?  If ordered by China, would Kim's generals assassinate him?  

It seems to me, without assets in place, with his hand on a nuke switch and his Generals willing to follow him, and no one wanting a nuclear war, hundreds of thousands dead in Seoul, or millions of starving refugees, that Kim might just have the whip hand here.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#40]
They should invade NK.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:33:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
There is canned sunshine at the end of that tunnel, lots of canned sunshine.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:33:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
China wont risk letting SK and the US take NK and have a shared border. They like the buffer that NK provides between us. If anything China will "take" NK and prop up some puppet leader controlled by Beijing that is far less insane and will allow China access to the trillions in mine-able resources under NK.
View Quote
I don't entirely get the "Not wanting a shared border" with a US ally.  What is the risk that China has by having South Korea sharing a land border with them?

Hell, with NK out of the way there wouldn't be a whole lot of reason for USFK to exist as it does today.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:34:37 PM EDT
[#43]
They are responding just as we would.

I do believe that of it becomes and offensive ground war crossing into NK, China would cross into NK as well. I don't think it would be to attack US/SK troops though.

Russia doesn't have much to worry about, their border is pretty remote and there is only one crossing, it's a rail crossing.

I really don't give a shit if NK has nukes, they won't use them inless attacked. I'm more worried the fuckers will give then to Iran, because Iran is involved in this.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
A question for the Arf experts.  How will China depose Kim if Kim doesn't want to be deposed?  Do the have assets in place to assassinate him? Would they do it militarily if he threatens to set off a nuke or attack Guam or Seoul?  If ordered by China, would Kim's generals assassinate him?  

It seems to me, without assets in place, with his hand on a nuke switch and his Generals willing to follow him, and no one wanting a nuclear war, hundreds of thousands dead in Seoul, or millions of starving refugees, that Kim might just have the whip hand here.
View Quote
This is what china should say-
Anyone that gets rid of fat kim becomes new PM of NK.
Behave and do whatever the chinese want then aid and trade will flow.
Dont act up and unless supply of hennesy and fishheads for alll. Kill fat kim now.

Its at a point where fatkim and trump are head to head. Someone has to go.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:34:50 PM EDT
[#45]
They're trying to send the message that they don't appreciate Lil Kim pissing in the community pool.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:34:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Those are the cards that NK has played since long before KJU took the helm, he just seems to be overplaying his hand.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:37:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well, they have a pretty massive military force on the border right now, according to the article I just cited. 150,000 troops, with attack helicopters, tanks, fighters and submarines. That's about what we used to get Saddam out of Kuwait, isn't it? And, Lil' Kim has already threatened to nuke Seoul, Guam and the United States, so that ship has also sailed. 

I would think that if the Chinese wanted Lil' Kim out, then they would identify one of his underlings and get them to do their dirty work with the promise of being their new guy. But, the risk for Lil' Kim's underlings is probably too great. If they fail, then they get thrown to the wolves...quite literally. 

I don't think that China has as much pull over the situation as everyone else makes out. Lil' Kim has ruthlessly consolidated his power and spit in China's face by eliminating his brother, who was under China's protection. China may see a war in Korea as inevitable and possibly opportune. 
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:39:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Kim may not see his next birthday.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
I agree. It's posturing.  I don't think they're going to actually do anything with those forces. They're just there to send a message. The same way we do exercises in Europe to send a message to the Russians.

The only way there won't be a diplomatic solution to this is if the crazy little NK $h1t decides to pull something. No nation has anything to be gain by a war breaking out there.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top