Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 1/8/2018 1:59:23 AM EDT
Forget religion, forget UFO's, and bigfoot.  None of that is real.   Forget all of the mythologies.  What's really amazing is the human mind.  It's worth saving.  It's worth spreading out into the unknown.  It can't die here.

Do you agree?
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:00:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:01:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Based on what are you assuming that the human mind is something special?
View Quote
So far, it's the only evidence of something special.

Wouldn't you agree?
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:06:05 AM EDT
[#3]
We'd have to be because eventually the sun will get too close to be inhabitable.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:06:09 AM EDT
[#4]
We might be it, all there is, in all of this.  Regardless, isn't our mind worth saving?
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:06:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We'd have to be because eventually the sun will get too close to be inhabitable.
View Quote
We can't stay here forever.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:07:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Most intelligent life form known to date? Just taking a wild guess there...
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:08:42 AM EDT
[#7]
We need to be extinct so the sea level won't change.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:11:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:12:45 AM EDT
[#9]
We have a few NO votes, but no explanation why...
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:14:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don’t like to make assumptions like that.

We only have a sample of ONE - which means that generalization is impossible.

We THINK we have intelligence, but we may not really even know what it means.

In the same way that some apes have rudimentary intelligence (in terms of learning simple words, commands, etc.) they CANNOT comprehend what our intelligence is like.  They are completely unable to grasp things like syntax, mathematics, etc.

By the same token, we may be simply apes to someone who has “real” intelligence, and we may be completely unable to comprehend what it is.

I mean, we’re cute and all, but there’s no actual evidence that we’re something special.  That is merely a self-serving conclusion we’ve reached because it makes us feel good about ourselves.
View Quote
But professor, we are the only known example.

Everything beyond us is conjecture.  So...

(It is interesting that as far as we know, we're the only matter capable of "conjecture".)
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:16:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We won't, but the silver lining is that the super intelligent AI program that eventually destroys us before our sun goes nova will escape to the stars and tell other civilizations about the slugs that created him.

Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:19:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

We won't, but the silver lining is that the super intelligent AI program that eventually destroys us before our sun goes nova will escape to the stars and tell other civilizations about the slugs that created him.

View Quote
Somehow, the idea of "us" living on in our immortal creation is comforting, no?  So I hope we create A.I..
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:19:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I don’t like to make assumptions like that.

We only have a sample of ONE - which means that generalization is impossible.

We THINK we have intelligence, but we may not really even know what it means.

In the same way that some apes have rudimentary intelligence (in terms of learning simple words, commands, etc.) they CANNOT comprehend what our intelligence is like.  They are completely unable to grasp things like syntax, mathematics, etc.

By the same token, we may be simply apes to someone who has “real” intelligence, and we may be completely unable to comprehend what it is.

I mean, we’re cute and all, but there’s no actual evidence that we’re something special.  That is merely a self-serving conclusion we’ve reached because it makes us feel good about ourselves.
View Quote
Speak for yourself.  I'm a unique motherfuckin' snowflake.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:23:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Speak for yourself.  I'm a unique motherfuckin' snowflake.
View Quote
Unique?  As far as we know, we're the only matter in the universe that's become self-aware. We have absolutely no evidence that consciousness has arisen anywhere else.  Only conjecture.

So it's probably best if we don't become too self-deprecating.  There might be no one to admire our humility.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:24:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Unless we are able to go many times the speed of light, if it's even theoretically possible, we can't even get out of this solar system, let alone survive out there.

It took Voyager 1 35 years to reach interstellar space, and it only happened that quick because a rare alignment of the planets allowed it to slingshot it's way to a velocity of 11 Mi/s.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:26:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Unless we are able to go many times the speed of light, if it's even theoretically possible, we can't even get out of this solar system, let alone survive out there.

It took Voyager 1 35 years to reach interstellar space, and it only happened that quick because a rare alignment of the planets allowed it to slingshot it's way to a velocity of 11 Mi/s.
View Quote
Well, we have some time to figure that problem out.  But not forever.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:26:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Unique?  As far as we know, we're the only matter in the universe that's become self-aware. We have absolutely no evidence that consciousness has arisen anywhere else.  Only conjecture.

So it's probably best if we don't become too self-deprecating.  There might be no one to admire our humility.  
View Quote
Well, I can't speak to that for you.  Might be I'm the only one with consciousness and you're all just in my imagination.

You may be a bit of undigested beef or a chunk of underdone potato for all I know.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:28:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Well, I can't speak to that for you.  Might be I'm the only one with consciousness and you're all just in my imagination.

You may be a bit of undigested beef or a chunk of underdone potato for all I know.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:30:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Remember reading an interesting book written by an  engineer(?) IIRC, that had legitimate plans in the 80's or 90's for a legitimate generational space craft.  He had it mostly worked out and I though it was a great idea.  Wonder what happened to that book.

Yes I agree we should reach for the stars.  That is one thing I would pay taxes for and not be upset about, presuming proper management of course.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:32:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Remember reading an interesting book written by an  engineer(?) IIRC, that had legitimate plans in the 80's or 90's for a legitimate generational space craft.  He had it mostly worked out and I though it was a great idea.  Wonder what happened to that book.

Yes I agree we should reach for the stars.  That is one thing I would pay taxes for and not be upset about, presuming proper management of course.
View Quote
Project Orion

We have it worked out.  We just lack the will, or purpose.  But .1 C might not be enough.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:33:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
I see what you did there (pointing out the irony that the 'human mind' has placed a premium on the 'human mind' i.e. itself as something special )
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:34:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Project Orion

We have it worked out.  We just lack the will, or purpose.  But .1 C might not be enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Project Orion

Thanks I'd forgotten the name.  With advances, in general, I wonder if we could increase the speed now.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:35:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Whether there is additional life out there or not, in time we will become our own aliens.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:38:22 AM EDT
[#24]
We should spread across the universe like a virus.
Dominate & spread our genes as far & wide as we can.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:38:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I see what you did there (pointing out the irony that the 'human mind' has placed a premium on the 'human mind' i.e. itself as something special )
View Quote
In the scheme of things, perhaps not.   The universe will be here whether or not we exist.  But I'll side with human hubris, and apologize to no one.  Especially since no one might be there.

So far, there is only us.  I think it best that we ride on our observation until something better comes along.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:39:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Did VBC  get your account?
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:41:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Did VBC  get your account?
View Quote
Stop changing your avatar.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:42:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Stop changing your avatar.  
View Quote
Which one is it now? My phone lags behind. Still showing old ones.

I can't keep them straight anymore.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:44:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:46:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Thread makes u think though.

"We" won't even be we.

Humans will evolve into something else.

The moon drifts away from earth 1" every year.

The magnetic field of earth fluctuates.

The sun is dying.

Asteroids.

Nothing is forever.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:47:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Seriously, I don't like this one.

Go back to the bearded guy.  That suits you.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:48:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Thread makes u think though.

"We" won't even be we.

Humans will evolve into something else.

The moon drifts away from earth 1" every year.

The magnetic field of earth fluctuates.

The sun is dying.

Asteroids.

Nothing is forever.
View Quote
Welcome to the topic.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:51:07 AM EDT
[#33]
I would have liked to see montana Uranus .
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:51:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
True and we also need to do it fast enough to get away from the Andromeda Milky Way collision

Two scientists with the Harvard–Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics stated that when, and even whether, the two galaxies collide will depend on Andromeda's transverse velocity.[3] Based on current calculations they predict a 50% chance that in a merged galaxy, the Solar System will be swept out three times farther from the galactic core than its current distance.[3] They also predict a 12% chance that the Solar System will be ejected from the new galaxy sometime during the collision.[11][12]
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:52:33 AM EDT
[#35]
I believe that if tech and civilization continues, we will eventually seek new planets.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:56:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:59:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This.
View Quote
I'm all for our kids leaving.  But shouldn't we try, in case they don't turn out to be what we expect.  I mean wonder if they are paperclip producing morons.

We need to proceed as if we're it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 3:16:58 AM EDT
[#38]
I voted yes, but I don't believe humans are cohesive enough as of now to accomplish such a task. Perhaps in the near future we will be. I don't see it happening soon without a massive die off and complete restructuring of priorities.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 3:19:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Eventually the stars, yes.

I think we have a long time before that becomes necessary, or even possible, though. It may be we need to harness a significant amount of the resources in the solar system before it can be done. Our solar system will be habitable even if Earth isn't, even when the sun expands and collapses into a dwarf there will always be a habitable zone, if we have habitats to fill it.

Humanity is special because we've built another layer of natural selection on top of the biological, software over our hardware. No other creature on Earth has managed that leap. It's our culture that's unique, even if there are others.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 3:27:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

No, go back to the octopus head chick.

OP agreed, long term survival of the species demands we get our dna off planet.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 3:34:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Human beings won't be fit enough to survive from an evolutionary standpoint at the rate we are going.

ETA- unless we evolve into some human/AI hybrid.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 3:38:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Human beings won't be fit enough to survive from an evolutionary standpoint at the rate we are going.
View Quote
Genetic modification. A.i., elective surgical replacement of organs and appendages with robotic nanotubes and graphene . .
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 3:42:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Genetic modification. A.i., elective surgical replacement of organs and appendages with robotic nanotubes and graphene . .
View Quote
Touché
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 3:43:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Government funded?  No.

Privately funded?  Hell yes.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 3:45:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Humanity needs to expand into space.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 4:45:49 AM EDT
[#46]
The nihilist in me says "it doesn't matter."  The universe as as we know it will probably end, and everything humans have ever done will be erased.  I don't believe in any sort of supernatural beings, an afterlife, or reincarnation.  However, it seems like a waste to not at least try.  The innate desire to preserve my genetic lineage makes me think that if there were somehow a way beat the system, I'd like it to happen.  Even if we were just to escape the inevitable death of our little patch of the universe, it would be something.  Of course, I'll be long dead, but you can't win them all!

So, I say we should do all that we can to escape this rock.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 4:49:35 AM EDT
[#47]
No.

Without God we're just animals, so why care? Feelz?
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 4:52:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I believe that if tech and civilization continues, we will eventually seek new planets.
View Quote
Either the "smart" ones will destroy the earth trying to rule it, or the barbarians will take us back to the stone age.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:34:11 AM EDT
[#49]
delete
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:35:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It seems like he's changing his face everytime I turn around, I can't keep up.

What was the octopus head chick?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top