[#1]
It means you're out of paper.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 2:46:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Peter, she's anorexic.

Yeah. He's really good!
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 2:52:41 AM EDT
[#3]
The "PC LOAD LETTER" message is encountered when printing on older HP LaserJet printers such as the LaserJet II, III, and 4 series. It means that the printer is trying to print a document whose paper size is set to "letter" when no letter size paper is available, either through supply exhaustion or supply size mismatch.[citation needed]

The error message comprises three parts. "PC" is an abbreviation for "paper cassette",[1] the tray which holds blank paper for the printer to use. These two-character codes are a legacy feature carried over from the first LaserJet printers, which could only use a two-character display for all printer status and error messages. "Load", in this context, is an instruction to refill the paper tray. "Letter" is the standard paper size (8 1/2 × 11 in.) used in the United States and Canada. Thus, the error is instructing the user to refill the paper tray with letter-sized paper. Variants are "PC LOAD LEGAL", meaning that the printer needs more legal size (8 1/2 × 14 in.) paper, and "MP LOAD [paper size]" meaning the printer needs paper in the "MP" (multi-purpose) tray, and "[paper size]" is the name of the size of paper specified for the print job.

The message confuses people for several reasons. The abbreviation "PC" may mislead because it is widely understood — especially in the context of electronic office equipment — to sound like "personal computer", suggesting to many that the problem lies in the computer, not the printer. The word "LOAD" is also ambiguous, as it can also refer to the transfer of electronic data between disk and memory. Furthermore, the word "LETTER" is associated with paper size only in the US, Canada and some Latin American countries; A4 is the standard size used in the rest of the world. In this case, "LETTER" means data or content of a typed letter or document. Thus, users encountering this message may believe that they are being instructed to transfer their typed letter (as in correspondence) to the printer, even though they have already sent the job to the printer.

Older LaserJet printers do not automatically resize a page when the page size of a document does not match the paper that is loaded in the printer. When trying to print a document whose paper size is set to "letter" on A4-sized paper the message occurs. The error "PC LOAD A4" appears in countries using this paper size. However, as many (American-written) programs use "letter" as the default format, the confusing message is often encountered by non-American users who are unaware of the recovery procedure (empty print queue and printer buffer or press "Shift+Continue"[2] and in extreme cases, restart printer and repeat). The LaserJet 5 introduced an easy-to-find "GO" button to override the warning message.

Later LaserJet printers, with a number label on their paper trays, display a new message, "TRAY X LOAD PLAIN [paper size]" where "Tray X" refers to the number of the paper tray which is the setting for the print job, again "load" is the instruction to refill the tray, and [paper size] is still the size of paper needed for the job.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 3:00:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The "PC LOAD LETTER" message is encountered when printing on older HP LaserJet printers such as the LaserJet II, III, and 4 series. It means that the printer is trying to print a document whose paper size is set to "letter" when no letter size paper is available, either through supply exhaustion or supply size mismatch.[citation needed]

The error message comprises three parts. "PC" is an abbreviation for "paper cassette",[1] the tray which holds blank paper for the printer to use. These two-character codes are a legacy feature carried over from the first LaserJet printers, which could only use a two-character display for all printer status and error messages. "Load", in this context, is an instruction to refill the paper tray. "Letter" is the standard paper size (8 1/2 × 11 in.) used in the United States and Canada. Thus, the error is instructing the user to refill the paper tray with letter-sized paper. Variants are "PC LOAD LEGAL", meaning that the printer needs more legal size (8 1/2 × 14 in.) paper, and "MP LOAD [paper size]" meaning the printer needs paper in the "MP" (multi-purpose) tray, and "[paper size]" is the name of the size of paper specified for the print job.

The message confuses people for several reasons. The abbreviation "PC" may mislead because it is widely understood — especially in the context of electronic office equipment — to sound like "personal computer", suggesting to many that the problem lies in the computer, not the printer. The word "LOAD" is also ambiguous, as it can also refer to the transfer of electronic data between disk and memory. Furthermore, the word "LETTER" is associated with paper size only in the US, Canada and some Latin American countries; A4 is the standard size used in the rest of the world. In this case, "LETTER" means data or content of a typed letter or document. Thus, users encountering this message may believe that they are being instructed to transfer their typed letter (as in correspondence) to the printer, even though they have already sent the job to the printer.

Older LaserJet printers do not automatically resize a page when the page size of a document does not match the paper that is loaded in the printer. When trying to print a document whose paper size is set to "letter" on A4-sized paper the message occurs. The error "PC LOAD A4" appears in countries using this paper size. However, as many (American-written) programs use "letter" as the default format, the confusing message is often encountered by non-American users who are unaware of the recovery procedure (empty print queue and printer buffer or press "Shift+Continue"[2] and in extreme cases, restart printer and repeat). The LaserJet 5 introduced an easy-to-find "GO" button to override the warning message.

Later LaserJet printers, with a number label on their paper trays, display a new message, "TRAY X LOAD PLAIN [paper size]" where "Tray X" refers to the number of the paper tray which is the setting for the print job, again "load" is the instruction to refill the tray, and [paper size] is still the size of paper needed for the job.
View Quote
I cant tell if you are serious or a master troll....

Anyways...

I heard Lumberg fucked her
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 3:03:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Watch your cornhole.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 3:06:53 AM EDT
[#6]
FPNI.

Personally, I prefer the "lp0 on fire" (lp=line printer) message.

Back when I was a young sysadmin, I used to change the default message to "OUT OF CHEESE" -- it seemed to confuse people, which pleased me greatly.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 3:16:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
FPNI.

Back when I was a young sysadmin, I used to change the default message to "OUT OF CHEESE" -- it seemed to confuse people, which pleased me greatly.
View Quote
Ha
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 3:18:44 AM EDT
[#8]
What would you say.....you do here?

One of my faves
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 3:20:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Watch your cornhole.
View Quote
Fuckin' A.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 4:06:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Damn it feels good to be a gangster.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 4:09:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think your jumping to conclusions.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 4:12:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Two chicks at the same time
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 4:13:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Tell you what I'd do

Two chicks at the same time man
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 4:26:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Such happy memories.

The days of replacing a mouse ball with an olive are long gone.

Or replacing autoexec.bat with a little bat that cleared the screen and printed "keyboard not found.  Press F1 to continue" which would then erase itself and rewrite autoexec so when the hapless idiot called IT there was no evidence that he had ever received an error message.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 7:35:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's a jump to conclusions mat!
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 7:37:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 7:42:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This is a very, bad, idea.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a very, bad, idea.
Yes, this is horrible idea.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 7:45:03 AM EDT
[#18]
I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything I thought it could be.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 7:47:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Friday is Hawaiian shirt day so....wear a Hawaiian shirt, and jeans, if you want...

And since it is Friday, and I love that movie, I just might
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 7:47:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Nah, check it out. That wife of his comes home early and he decides he wants to live... but then he gets creamed by a drunk driver.

Gonna get a big settlement out of it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 7:48:51 AM EDT
[#21]
He's a straight shooter with upper management written all over him.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 7:54:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Yea...

Link Posted: 3/2/2018 7:59:12 AM EDT
[#23]
How about some pizza shooters, shrimp poppers, or extreme fajitas?
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 8:03:20 AM EDT
[#24]
I celebrate his entire catalog.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 8:03:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 8:16:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
FPNI.

View Quote

In my line of business we used to have a fire panel called the 2120 that printed messages out on a paper roll. It required you to enter numerical codes on a key pad to reset it. We used to have great fun changing the messages that it would print out on the paper roll.

We'd change things like, "Fire Alarm" to "Hey Stupid!!! There's a Fucking FIRE!!!!" and when the panel would "beep" from either an alarm or trouble or supervisory we'd change it to, "ACKNOWLEDGE THE FUCKING PANEL!!!"

The 2120 is on the left. There is a keypad with letters on it too. It's probably been 25 years since I've seen a 2120 in person. They were phased out a long time ago. The panel on the right (4100) is also being phased out right now; the difference is the 4100 is a much nicer panel and easier to use than the 2120.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 8:17:16 AM EDT
[#27]
I’M A PEOPLE PERSON!!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 8:18:38 AM EDT
[#28]
You do want to express yourself, right?
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 8:21:50 AM EDT
[#29]
"I DEAL WITH THE GODDAMN ENGINEERS SO THE CUSTOMERS DONT HAVE TO!!"
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 8:25:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Samir Naga, Naga, Notgonnaworkhere anymore...
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 8:34:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Sounds like someone's got a case of the Mondays.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 8:35:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Sounds like someone's got a case of the Mondays.
View Quote
Peter: Lawrence, do you ever go in and someone say to you, sounds like a case of the Monday's?

Lawrence: No. Hell No man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked for saying something like that.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 8:44:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
So do you actually take the specs down to the engineers?
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 8:49:29 AM EDT
[#34]
You know, the nazis had pieces of flair that they made the jews wear.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 8:53:09 AM EDT
[#35]
She gets around, like a record.

Lumberg fucked her.
Lumberg?!
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 9:02:16 AM EDT
[#36]
I believe you took my stapler.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 9:06:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hey! Let's not jump to conclusions

Eta.  Maybe I should read the entire thread before posting.

Fuckin A man!
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 9:16:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What would you say.....you do here?

One of my faves
View Quote
Lol. Frequently said phrase around my work place.

"I deal with the goddamn customers so the engineers don't have to!"
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 9:26:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Such happy memories.

The days of replacing a mouse ball with an olive are long gone.

Or replacing autoexec.bat with a little bat that cleared the screen and printed "keyboard not found.  Press F1 to continue" which would then erase itself and rewrite autoexec so when the hapless idiot called IT there was no evidence that he had ever received an error message.
View Quote
Or just removing the mouse ball to watch the hapless victim flail about trying to get the mouse to respond.

Or reset the default display font to 320 points so when the os loads, the "start" button displays as "STA" & nothing else shows. Don't know your keyboard only commands? Tragic!
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Wait.  You used to be addicted to crack?  
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 9:34:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Do we know any coke dealers?
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 9:37:15 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm going to show her my "O" face.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 9:38:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The error message comprises three parts. "PC" is an abbreviation for "paper cassette",[1] the tray which holds blank paper for the printer to use. These two-character codes are a legacy feature carried over from the first LaserJet printers, which could only use a two-character display for all printer status and error messages. "Load", in this context, is an instruction to refill the paper tray. "Letter" is the standard paper size (8 1/2  11 in.) used in the United States and Canada. Thus, the error is instructing the user to refill the paper tray with letter-sized paper. Variants are "PC LOAD LEGAL", meaning that the printer needs more legal size (8 1/2  14 in.) paper, and "MP LOAD [paper size]" meaning the printer needs paper in the "MP" (multi-purpose) tray, and "[paper size]" is the name of the size of paper specified for the print job.

The message confuses people for several reasons. The abbreviation "PC" may mislead because it is widely understood  especially in the context of electronic office equipment  to sound like "personal computer", suggesting to many that the problem lies in the computer, not the printer. The word "LOAD" is also ambiguous, as it can also refer to the transfer of electronic data between disk and memory. Furthermore, the word "LETTER" is associated with paper size only in the US, Canada and some Latin American countries; A4 is the standard size used in the rest of the world. In this case, "LETTER" means data or content of a typed letter or document. Thus, users encountering this message may believe that they are being instructed to transfer their typed letter (as in correspondence) to the printer, even though they have already sent the job to the printer.

View Quote
Sounds like a case of the Mondays.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No my secretary does that
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 9:52:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 9:57:00 AM EDT
[#47]
So, peter, looks like you’ve been missing work?
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 9:57:03 AM EDT
[#48]
I stole something from work today.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 9:57:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Hitler had flair that he made the Jews wear.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 9:59:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
So, peter, looks like you’ve been missing work?
View Quote
I wouldn't say I've bent missing it, Bob.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top