Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/20/2019 5:50:43 PM EDT
My brother will be graduating from SF training in December, and I'd like to find something nice to give him as a gift. Needless to say it's a pretty significant occasion, and I could not be more proud of my little brother.

I was thinking about a higher end fixed blade knife, but figured you guys would be good to ask for ideas.
Probably looking to stay under $500, but that's not set in stone if someone has an idea that I think would be awesome

Thanks guys

Edit: If it has any impact on your recommendation, he will be graduating as an 18C, SF Engineer Sergeant
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:54:13 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are in need of having your head disassembled or kicked really hard in the dick a case of MRE's would be a fine gift.

Gift card to a good steakhouse, bottle of fancy booze, gift certificates to someplace that features naked women dancing would probably be a good start, I can't imagine they get much decent food or any booze or eye candy during selection.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#2]
A nice 1911
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Chris reeve
View Quote
Doesn't he already get one?
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Anything from RMJ Tactical.

Bearded Tomahawk

Or a really badass kukri :-)
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:03:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Get him a knife from Bill Harsey.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:04:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know if this is issued to troops but how about a Garmin Foretrex® 701 Ballistic Edition? If he gets deployed, should be useful.

USD 499.00
linky on the garmin site.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
If they are still doing it, he will get a Yarborough, which is the official serial numbered version of the link posted. Link is the civilian version.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:06:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My brother will be graduating from SF training in December, and I'd like to find something nice to give him as a gift. Needless to say it's a pretty significant occasion, and I could not be more proud of my little brother.

I was thinking about a higher end fixed blade knife, but figured you guys would be good to ask for ideas.
Probably looking to stay under $500, but that's not set in stone if someone has an idea that I think would be awesome

Thanks guys
View Quote
I think fixed blade knife is perfect for the occasion.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Assuming he drinks whiskey or scotch I’d look for a great bottle of either and maybe a decanter set.

What’s his age/personality?
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:07:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Spartan Blades has some nice folders and its a SF vet run company.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm a SEAL not SF, but I thought they did too.  Maybe one of our Army SF brethren will chime in.  I didn't get shit when I graduated BUD/S or SQT....
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:08:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Gift certificate to REI.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:09:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks guys
View Quote
Did he graduate Q or selection?
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#15]
A nice ivory gripped Randall
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:13:57 PM EDT
[#16]
James helm at helm forge makes custom knives for military and first responders. His stuffis really nice and within your price range. I would contact him and tell him your brothers graduation date and see if he can get one made in time.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm a SEAL not SF, but I thought they did too.  Maybe one of our Army SF brethren will chime in.  I didn't get shit when I graduated BUD/S or SQT....
View Quote
Not even a can of dapper dan?
That sucks!

If you want a blade attached to the history, how about a v42?
Maybe he can display them together.
https://www.smkw.com/case-v-42-fighting-stiletto
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Some kind of nice .22 pistol and tell him "I hope all your troubles are small".

Stole that from some TV show.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Come on, you didn’t get laid?
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chris reeve
Chris Reeves was on my short list for knife makers, but if he may already recieve one I'm thinking about learning towards on of the RMJ Tac axes
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Come on, you didn’t get laid?
View Quote
Maybe when I write a book...  I KID, I KID!!!!  
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks guys
December with be the Q Course graduation
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Assuming he drinks whiskey or scotch I’d look for a great bottle of either and maybe a decanter set.

What’s his age/personality?
View Quote
He's 25
As far as personality, he is fairly laid back but is low key really into the high speed/low drag thing. He joined into the army on an 18x contract at 21yo and has been working towards this for since then. Between injuries that had him get recycled back, he passed on some really cool opportunities, to stay on track and finish Q Course
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:33:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Get him one of these, he will love the unique one of a kind gift

This

Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Come on, you didn't get laid?
I'll wait for the movie, hope its at least Rated R.  

OP, if he already gets a blade, what about a Glock 19 with the slide engraved?  Sure, they have them at the unit but he can train whenever he wants with it, or his HH6 can have it for home defense.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:40:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
At first, I thought "ya sure you are". But I see you have the emblem so I gotta say its cool to have an actual seal on here, so when we bash the Gel Squad we have someone to tag

My actual idea is if you can afford it, a really nice 1911 or whatever gun he likes.

Congrats to your brother, thats an incredible achievement
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Arch supports, Motrin, and a hooker.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:52:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

At first, I thought "ya sure you are". But I see you have the emblem so I gotta say its cool to have an actual seal on here, so when we bash the Gel Squad we have someone to tag

My actual idea is if you can afford it, a really nice 1911 or whatever gun he likes.

Congrats to your brother, thats an incredible achievement
View Quote
Maybe he could spare a pair of Oakleys so he could look like the cool kids?
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:55:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Not even a can of dapper dan?
That sucks!

If you want a blade attached to the history, how about a v42?
Maybe he can display them together.
https://www.smkw.com/case-v-42-fighting-stiletto
View Quote
I don't carry Dapper Dan. I carry Fop.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#31]
I know not near as modern knives and likely not practical for him to use while in the unit, but a nice Randall knife is always a great present for a graduation.

I know in the 90’s they were popular amongst the SF crowd.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:00:14 PM EDT
[#32]
A 1911 or a knife from Spartan Blades
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:01:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Chris reeve
View Quote
What he said.

they only get a knife if they are the honor grad.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Maybe he could spare a pair of Oakleys so he could look like the cool kids?
View Quote
You making fun of the Oakleys bro???

Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:03:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I think hookers and blow is the current trend in the specop world.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#36]
I read somewhere the spec ops guys prefer to not have very expensive knives for deployment, but prefer something more affordable in case it gets lost. Most of them are enlisted anyway and don't make a lot of dough, so losing a $500 - even if it's a gift - hurts a lot more than losing a good, but inexpensive knife - something like a ColdSteel.

Anyway, my vote for a gift is a 1911.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Cash so he can go buy some nice gear that HE likes.

I don’t want anyone picking out my gear for me.

You’re likely to spend $500 on something that will end up in the back of a closet.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:06:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Get him a bottle of snake wine too
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Apparently we all think alike. I read the thread title and immediately thought he needs some kind of bad ass custom made knife.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I read somewhere the spec ops guys prefer to not have very expensive knives for deployment, but prefer something more affordable in case it gets lost. Most of them are enlisted anyway and don't make a lot of dough, so losing a $500 - even if it's a gift - hurts a lot more than losing a good, but inexpensive knife - something like a ColdSteel.

Anyway, my vote for a gift is a 1911.
View Quote
 That is why I have three identical Gerbers........well, at least for the getting lost part.  I am also a fan of the Morakniv.

Knives for actual use, rather than for a blingy status symbol.

I have a Coldsteel that collects dust.  It has never cut a single thing.  It was a gift.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:09:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
A self deprecating SEAL...
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm not a warfighter, but I think getting him something that he can use on deployments would be awesome.  That way he'll always have a piece to remind him of you when deployed.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've ended up with a stupid amount of fixed blades in my gun safe.  Always thought to myself "yeah, I'm totally using this one for work!"  Then get it home and think "this is too nice to fuck up in the ocean or in the field".  My last two deployments to Iraq I just carried a folder clipped in my pocket and a small fixed blade neck knife.  I mean 90% of what you're using a knife for in the field is opening MRE's and cutting 550 cord.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:11:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Tactical wheelbarrow
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:13:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Thanks guys
View Quote
A 1911!
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Instead of getting him a piece of kit that can get lost on deployment, why not get something that that be sentimental for a life time.  When I graduated from the police academy my family graduation gift was a Law Enforcement Comparative silver coin set.  Over 20 years later I still have it.  Still sits on my desk as a reminder of the family members that are no longer with me that purchased it.

I can tell you that other than my medals/awards and dog tags, I do not have anything still from the military.  I also don't use any of the kit from the military or from when I first started in LE.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Big Guy upstairs has a way of keeping me humble and able to laugh at myself.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:14:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
What he said.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
What he said.

I didn’t know if they were still doing it.
Googled up this:

Soldiers graduating from the Special Forces Qualification Course were presented The Yarborough knife along with their Green Beret, beginning in August 2002.

The knives were initially “issued” to graduates and signed for on a “hand receipt”, making them government property. According to myth, legend , and folklore, this made them illegal to re-sell. You rarely see a Yarborough for sale.

Today, graduates must purchase their knife through the SF Museum. You may only purchase one. Each knife is serial numbered and that number kept on record.

Chris Reeve’s Knives manufactures the Yarborough and also makes a civilian version minus the ‘Yarborough’ and serial number engraving on the blade.

The Yarborough knife, a combat field knife specifically designed by renowned knife maker William Harsey – which serves as a link to the brotherhood of unconventional warriors.

Blade Length: 7.0?
Cutting Edge: 6.25?
Handle Length: 5.375?
Overall Length: 12.375?

Info via Special Forces Association Chapter LX
And

Since 2002, select soldiers graduating from the US Special Forces Qualification Course have been presented the Yarborough knife, a combat field knife designed by renowned knife maker William Harsey and manufactured by Chris Reeve Knives.

PURCHASE QUALIFICATION FOR INDIVIDUALS

The Yarborough knife is available for purchase by US Special Forces Q-course graduates upon authorization from the JFK Special Warfare Museum.  A membership card in the SFA will not be accepted as the sole proof of qualification.

Please gather the following information:

Full Name
Civilian Address
Telephone Number
Email Address
Documentary proof of Special Forces qualification i.e. graduation certificate, DD214, ORB/ERB, SF Tab orders, etc.  
Driver’s License photocopy
Last four of Social Security Number
Send the requested info to:

Commander, USAJFKSWCS
Bldg D-3004, Stop A
JFK Special Warfare Museum
Attn:  AOJK-MU (Yarborough Knife)
Fort Bragg, NC 28307

Or electronically:
[email protected]

If approved, an authorization letter will be issued along with instructions for purchase. Please read both pages that you receive.

GIFTING & REQUESTS PRIOR TO GRADUATION

Gifting a Yarborough also requires an authorization letter that can be attained by following the same steps listed above.  These requests will not be processed until AFTER Q-course graduation.  Even if you want it to be a surprise, you must wait for the candidate to graduate
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Arch supports, Motrin, and a hooker.
View Quote
Add a bottle of penicillin and some valtrex.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:17:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The Big Guy upstairs has a way of keeping me humble and able to laugh at myself.
View Quote
I imagine most SEALs are like yourself, and are humble men.

I look forward to reading your posts in the future, and welcome aboard.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top