Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/27/2021 1:23:40 PM EDT
Hypothetical- it's hour 49 of no power. It hasn't been above freezing in 3 days. You live in a warm gulf coast climate, so obviously neither your house nor any public infrastructure is handling it well. You have a 1 year old at home you're struggling to keep warm by using the generator to heat your house.

You live in a suburban neighborhood that is at the edge of one of the largest metropolitan areas in North America.

It's 1am. Your generator goes off. You walk outside and see two people disconnecting it with hand tools. It isn't clear if they're armed or not, other than the tools they brought. You call 911 but due to extended power outages there is no cell service so you can't get through.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:25:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hypothetical- it's hour 49 of no power. It hasn't been above freezing in 3 days. You live in a warm gulf coast climate, so obviously neither your house nor any public infrastructure is handling it well. You have a 1 year old at home you're struggling to keep warm by using the generator to heat your house.

You live in a suburban neighborhood that is at the edge of one of the largest metropolitan areas in North America.

It's 1am. Your generator goes off. You walk outside and see two people disconnecting it with hand tools. It isn't clear if they're armed or not, other than the tools they brought. You call 911 but due to the ice and natural disaster they don't have anyone that can be there quickly.

View Quote

Bang bang bang bang bang bang bang.  Reload.

Wait, is this before or after Biden's assault weapon and mag ban?

It's Texas bro, after dark.  And stealing a generator directly threatens your infant's life.  How is this even a question?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:29:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's Texas bro, after dark.  And stealing a generator directly threatens your infant's life.  How is this even a question?
View Quote

The color of the thieves would get me Zim Zammed.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:30:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Hell criminal mischief at night is a good enough justification in some states
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:30:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Still got the shovel!
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Threatening the safety of my 1 year old ?

SSS.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's 1am. Your generator goes off. You walk outside and see two people disconnecting it with hand tools. It isn't clear if they're armed or not, other than the tools they brought. You call 911 but due to the ice and natural disaster they don't have anyone that can be there quickly.

View Quote
run outside nekkid and take care of business.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:32:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Still got the shovel!
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:33:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I assume anybody trespassing on my property to do illegal things is prepared to cause me harm

I don't think it's a difficult case for the courtroom
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I would announce my presence and make it clear I was armed and have no desire to lose my generator or life... the choice is theirs how it goes from there.

I honestly don't want to think about killing anyone over a generator for the rest of my days.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Two more bite the dust.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:33:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Pig Food.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:37:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Whatever weapon you choose, make sure you're precise with shot placement, generators are hard to replace during emergencies.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:37:45 PM EDT
[#13]
What is the question?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tx? ^^THIS ^^

Then get rid of the bodies.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Will the dishwasher run on the generator?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

MEOW
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:42:19 PM EDT
[#17]
It's 1am in Texas, I'm not calling 911 until after I'm done legally shooting them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's 1am in Texas, I'm not calling 911 until after I'm done legally shooting them.
View Quote
mahky mahk: Shoot a dog in this county on a man's land, I'd bury you in the hill, and tell the sheriff a month or two later. He understands.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:44:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
run outside nekkid and take care of business.
View Quote

My dad held a guy trying to steal our car at gunpoint until the police arrive.  My dad only had a 1911 and his whitey tighties.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Whatever weapon choose, make sure you're precise with shot placement, generators are hard to replace during emergencies.
View Quote
Gut shot, that way they crawl off somewhere else and bleed out

I may know of an incident in the days following Katrina where someone was trying to break into a camper that the homeowner was staying in on their property so they could protect their damaged house. The Perp fled the scene and nobody ever came around asking questions.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

My dad held a guy trying to steal our car at gunpoint until the police arrive.  My dad only had a 1911 and his whitey tighties.

View Quote
pics of dad?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:45:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Texas don't even need to warn them. Shoot em where they stand. Aim high as to not hit the generator. Once you verify they are sufficiently dead, hook the generator back up, go inside, call the cops back and let them know to bring the coroner with them when the weather clears. Then, since you're now awake, might as well get breakfast ready for the family.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:47:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Texas don't even need to warn them. Shoot em where they stand. Aim high as to not hit the generator. Once you verify they are sufficiently dead, hook the generator back up, go inside, call the cops back and let them know to bring the coroner with them when the weather clears. Then, since you're now awake, might as well get breakfast ready for the family.
View Quote
pics of breakfast?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I don’t leave the house unarmed.

Drop the two of them. Their actions are a threat to your child’s life.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:52:18 PM EDT
[#25]
you got swamps down there?

thats my answer.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:53:09 PM EDT
[#26]
SSS
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:53:47 PM EDT
[#27]
I kept my Mossberg 590 right next to my door. This happens a lot during hurricane season.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:54:06 PM EDT
[#28]
They're gonna meet the business end of an M4.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:54:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
pics of dad?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

pics of dad?

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:57:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lol
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:59:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I kept my Mossberg 590 right next to my door. This happens a lot during hurricane season.
View Quote
pics of 590?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
IBTL
View All Quotes
its within the CoC rules.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
i was being sarcastic.

we need a sarcasm font.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:02:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Shoot.   Two of them and one of me at my home at night?   Haha.  That would get me no billed and a gift certificate to The Scioto Ribber.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
i was being sarcastic.

we need a sarcasm font.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
i was being sarcastic.

we need a sarcasm font.
i dont give a crap, teener.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:02:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
you got swamps down there?

thats my answer.
View Quote

let them freeze up before you move them.  less mess to clean out of the pickup.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:03:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

2 men are on your property at 1am in an emergency, and near an entry point,  and they are approaching you with items that can inflict bodily harm? I suppose you could make tea and have a conversation on what precisely they're doing there, but if they don't haul ass the second the door opens, they're probably going to beat you to death, so...
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:04:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

let them freeze up before you move them.  less mess to clean out of the pickup.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#40]
3 way?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:05:13 PM EDT
[#41]
You are outnumbered.

That alone gets you a long way to justification.

Would a reasonable man be in fear of death or grave bodily injury?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:05:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
3 way?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:10:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Engage them with your rifle, transition to pistol and execute any survivors.

Fire up the bobcat, dig hole, roll bodies into it, cover with soil and compact.

Go back to bed, enjoy the sleep of the righteous.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:10:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Restore power then you have to take out the trash.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:10:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You are outnumbered.

That alone gets you a long way to justification.

Would a reasonable man be in fear of death or grave bodily injury?
View Quote

"But ladies and gentlemen of the jury. Is a 500 dalla generator worth more that the lives of these 2 young men that were just providing for their families and had just decided to turn their lives around and entered a GED program?"
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:11:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

pics of dad?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/252915/sexy-fail-elvis-chicken-1458040.jpg

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
pics of 590?
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:13:50 PM EDT
[#48]
We had a derecho storm roll through in 2012, that left power out in my neighborhood for about 9 days.  

An elderly neighbor lady was issued a generator by the power company, to power her O2 and a few other medical things.  (Don't know the how or why of the deal, but it was owned by Dominion Power).

Night 4, some miscreants took bolt cutters to the chain locking it in place, and made off with it. Another neighbor noticed the lack of noise about 2 hours later, went over to investigate and called 911 for the theft and medical emergency.  

Elderly neighbor lady survived the night, but was never able to recover enough to return home.  She died several weeks later.

So, based on my experience and observation, the theft of a generator in an emergency situation could constitute a threat of grievous bodily harm to myself or another, and would be dealt with as such.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:13:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Gut shoot them so they don’t die right there.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:14:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It's 1am. Your generator goes off. You walk outside and see two people disconnecting it with hand tools. It isn't clear if they're armed or not, other than the tools they brought. You call 911 but due to extended power outages there is no cell service so you can't get through.

View Quote

They’d be dead as fried chicken.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top