Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/13/2022 11:51:50 PM EDT
Hi all,

Old time member, been inactive for a while.  We moved to Europe some years ago but the covid is turning this place into a dictatorial dystopian hell.  We're always worried that someone is going to jam a needle into our kid's arms.

We've decided to move back to the US and I'm looking for some advice on where to move.  While we're not sure that this scenario will play out we do believe that it is a possibility, and if it does occur, we may see some period of worldwide famine.  

Its already too lte for nearly 1.5 billion human beings who may die from covid vaccines

We are concerned about this and we're looking for a way to be able to sustain ourselves in regards to food, ie, a small farm.

If where you live fits these requirements or you know of a place that does, I'd love to hear from you and your views/opinions on this subject.

We're looking for a place to live:

* Has natural rainfall

* Has a natural water supply (pre-industrialization) in the form of a pond, lake, running stream/river and/or access to ground water.  I have a concern that if dams fail and/or there is an energy crunch and no ability to move water under power.

* Is a red state

* The state government respects a citizen's rights to make their own medical decisions and doesn't believe in pushing immoral and illegal mandates

* A pro-gun state that believes in the 2nd amendment

* Has pro-carry laws

* And of course, we're looking for a 'conservative' area

* We would like to be "out of the way" - somewhere that won't get a lot of attention, a bit secluded, can I say rural?  Can't be too far from a big city.

* Looking for lots of nature

I appreciate anyone and everyone's input.

Disclaimer: I'm not looking for a covid debate.  I believe you have a right to your own opinions and to make your own health choices.  I respect your right to make your own decisions and I expect that you will respect mine
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 11:53:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Central or East Tn
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 11:54:55 PM EDT
[#2]
East TN or Western NC.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 11:57:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Pretty good description of Missouri outside of St. Louis or Kansas City
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:01:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
* Has a natural water supply (pre-industrialization) in the form of a lake or running river.  I have a concern that if dams fail and/or there is an energy crunch and no ability to move water under power.
View Quote

Lakefront property is expensive, relatively scarce, and gives intruders an easy means of access.

OTOH, just about any land with a well on it will have a pump capable of being powered by a generator, if the grid goes down.

Why needlessly limit your choices?
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:02:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Missouri is great, Springfield area is nice, lots of outdoor recreation.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:03:31 AM EDT
[#6]
South Dakota
Black Hills
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:08:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:11:22 AM EDT
[#8]
that guy is nuts.

I believe there will be deaths, but not anywhere close to his numbers.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:11:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Lakefront property is expensive, relatively scarce, and gives intruders an easy means of access.

OTOH, just about any land with a well on it will have a pump capable of being powered by a generator, if the grid goes down.

Why needlessly limit your choices?
View Quote

I suppose I meant proximity to a lake rather than the view ;-)

I updated the post to reflect I'm looking for water and ground water will suffice.  Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:12:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Northern MN. Jobs farm land out of the way lots of area and water
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:16:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hi all,

Old time member, been inactive for a while.  We moved to Europe some years ago but the covid is turning this place into a dictatorial dystopian hell.  We're always worried that someone is going to jam a needle into our kid's arms.

We've decided to move back to the US and I'm looking for some advice on where to move.  While we're not sure that this scenario will play out we do believe that it is a possibility, and if it does occur, we may see some period of worldwide famine.  

Its already too lte for nearly 1.5 billion human beings who may die from covid vaccines

We are concerned about this and we're looking for a way to be able to sustain ourselves in regards to food, ie, a small farm.

If where you live fits these requirements or you know of a place that does, I'd love to hear from you and your views/opinions on this subject.

We're looking for a place to live:

* Has natural rainfall

* Has a natural water supply (pre-industrialization) in the form of a pond, lake, running stream/river and/or access to ground water.  I have a concern that if dams fail and/or there is an energy crunch and no ability to move water under power.

* Is a red state

* The state government respects a citizen's rights to make their own medical decisions and doesn't believe in pushing immoral and illegal mandates

* A pro-gun state that believes in the 2nd amendment

* Has pro-carry laws

* And of course, we're looking for a 'conservative' area

* We would like to be "out of the way" - somewhere that won't get a lot of attention, a bit secluded, can I say rural?  Can't be too far from a big city.

* Looking for lots of nature

I appreciate anyone and everyone's input.

Disclaimer: I'm not looking for a covid debate.  I believe you have a right to your own opinions and to make your own health choices.  I respect your right to make your own decisions and I expect that you will respect mine
View Quote

Ohio, buddy. We check all the boxes, but we fly under the radar.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:18:02 AM EDT
[#12]
West “By God” Virginia would fulfill you needs.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:19:40 AM EDT
[#13]
IBTM

Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:21:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

True.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:23:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I picked southern IA about an hour from Des Moines.

Land is still affordable compared to other places.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:24:21 AM EDT
[#16]
The free state of Florida.
You can live here year-round with no heat or air conditioning if you had to. Electric rates are lower than national average.
You can get water anywhere and pump it with a traditional pitcher pump the groundwater is so high. We have the largest cow calf operation in the United States at the Deseret Ranch and the county I live in has more cows than people.
Gardens grow year round.
No state income tax.
Recently announced that there are now more registered Republicans in Florida than Democrats. Trump won here both elections.
Concealed Carry Permits are easy to get here and open carry is kind of a mixed bag, but you can carry one in your car with no permit whatsoever.
Pond in front yard is fine for flushing toilets or irrigation etc but with the hand pump I can drink the same water I drink now so I don't really need to worry about purifying upon water.
It's 55° at 11:30 p.m. on January 13th. Compare that to some of the other suggestions, LOL! And Florida has more rain than any other of the lower 48 states. Cisterns and rain barrels work pretty well here too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:24:35 AM EDT
[#17]
SWPA
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:24:48 AM EDT
[#18]
East Oklahoma would fit your needs.  It seems like there is a small pond every 100 feet there.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:25:51 AM EDT
[#19]
You described south Alabama in the Dothan area and surrounding towns. The property I looked at down there had a creek and a spring on the property
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:26:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Look at North Dakota,  land of opportunity.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:26:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
that guy is nuts.

I believe there will be deaths, but not anywhere close to his numbers.
View Quote

Disclaimer: I'm not looking for a covid debate.  I believe you have a right to your own opinions and to make your own health choices.  I respect your right to make your own decisions and I expect that you will respect mine.

I posted his video in the covid section, lets talk about it:

there
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:30:19 AM EDT
[#22]
I hear that 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20500 is a welcoming address.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:31:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:34:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Sigh.  Try Canada.  Thanks.  Signed actual conservatives.

We've got enough crazies and faux conservatives to last 10 lifetimes.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:38:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Every state has good and bad things about it.  I have lived in several of them.  One way to make a choice is decide on the size piece of land you believe you need say 20 acres or 5 acres or whatever depending on your ability to afford it.  Search Zillow to see what those tracks of land are going for in several of the places you are considering.  Ask yourself are you planning a large garden, orchard, livestock etc if so you want land that is good soil for growing those things.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:38:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
South Dakota
Black Hills
View Quote

no, sorry the Black hills are full. so is Wyoming.

maybe try Wisconsin its super nice
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:39:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

True.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.

Just curious, what is the temperature up there tonight?
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:40:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Sigh.  Try Canada.  Thanks.  Signed actual conservatives.

We've got enough crazies and faux conservatives to last 10 lifetimes.
View Quote

?
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:41:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

?
View Quote

What what?  

Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:49:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Every state has good and bad things about it.  I have lived in several of them.  One way to make a choice is decide on the size piece of land you believe you need say 20 acres or 5 acres or whatever depending on your ability to afford it.  Search Zillow to see what those tracks of land are going for in several of the places you are considering.  Ask yourself are you planning a large garden, orchard, livestock etc if so you want land that is good soil for growing those things.
View Quote

Yeah, Florida is overcrowded,  LOL!
It's only 25 miles to the nearest grocery store or CVS. And 3 miles each way to my mailbox.

Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:05:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

?
View Quote

Good question, I'm guessing he's mistaken me for some newb-troll and didn't realize my account is older by twice the 10 years he's been here.  Who knows, maybe he's been on this site for 1/2 his lifetime.

As for us, we're so conservative that we're Orthodox (I mean really, we are).

Its quite late here, I appreciate everyone's replies and I'll check the map tomorrow along with some Zillow searches as recommended.  Seems that most of these are not too far from eastern MO where my (remaining) guns stay with a best friend.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:09:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I picked southern IA about an hour from Des Moines.

Land is still affordable compared to other places.
View Quote
I'm just north of Des Moines. It's an odd gamble in an actual collapse scenario like the OP is putting forth. The winter will kill you if you are unprepared, but I don't think it's more dangerous than making a go of it with warm climate crazies combined with everyone who will flee for warmth.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:16:41 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm looking at the Nature Coast of Florida. It's on the west coast of Florida north of Tampa, before the coast starts turning west. Around Crystal River. Apparently this area almost never gets hit by hurricanes. It's really cheap and pretty poor, the median income is $30,000. Houses are like $150,000. But that's ok, I can work remotely. Crime rate is not great but it's lower than where I live now. I haven't looked at the public school data, I don't have kids.

Florida has no state income tax and its per capita state government spending is the lowest in the USA. Whereas Alaska has the highest and Democrats will instate an income tax to support that spending as soon as they get power.

I've been thinking of scouting it out this spring.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:18:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm looking at the Nature Coast of Florida. It's on the west coast of Florida north of Tampa, before the coast starts turning west. Around Crystal River. Apparently this area almost never gets hit by hurricanes. It's really cheap but pretty poor, the median income is $30,000. Houses are like $150,000. But that's ok, I can work remotely. I've been thinking of scouting it out this spring.
View Quote

Your history of click bait says Cuba.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:19:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm looking at the Nature Coast of Florida. It's on the west coast of Florida north of Tampa, before the coast starts turning west. Around Crystal River. Apparently this area almost never gets hit by hurricanes. It's really cheap but pretty poor, the median income is $30,000. Houses are like $150,000. But that's ok, I can work remotely. I've been thinking of scouting it out this spring.

I gave up trolling a year ago.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:37:08 AM EDT
[#36]
I am not going to get into your criteria, but most of the US was settled before electricity and irrigation.  The issues then become dealing with the limitations of each geographic location.  Take where I am in Texas...  We do not get much rain for 3 months during the summer - but we generally get rain most of the rest of the year.  If constructed properly, and if you don't have too much of a load on them, man made ponds (we call them tanks) can generally provide enough water for livestock most years.  Our water table is shallow enough that a century ago, many people relied on hand dug wells - The drilled wells on my ranch are all under 50' and so far have never gone dry (I suspect all are over 75 years old at this point).  With periodic wind, windmills can keep cisterns full enough to handle our livestock needs (plus we have tanks on each property).  We have a long growing season, abet late summer is probably out - we can grow some food crops through winter (we rarely get super hard freezes that will would kill winter hardy vegetables).  One thing that is going for us, our population density is still fairly low-with a little effort our towns could feed themselves easily enough (they did 100 years ago, and I think the population density was actually higher then).

That said, we are not green like most of the locations mentioned already in this thread.  Population density seems to be increasing now due to telecommuting.  Gradually we are getting broadband - so there is no reason people can not telecommute.  Land prices are rocketing right now.  30 years ago land was about $800/acre.  Now, on smaller places, it is tagging $20k/acre.  That makes the "traditional" 80 acres outside the price range of most people-hard to believe that can be worth over 1m without minerals.  That is also a limitation.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:42:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Southern Ohio, or Northeastern, Ohio
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:49:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:50:24 AM EDT
[#39]
WTF is "natural rainfall?" Is there any other kind?
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:55:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Central or northern South Carolina has everything you mentioned and then some.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:01:44 AM EDT
[#41]
I'd say come to Tennessee but we are pretty full. Go to Alabama.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:01:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Is there anywhere in the southeast that doesn’t meet this criteria?  Most spots East of the Mississippi and South of the Ohio should fit the bill.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:27:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Come to Iowa dude. We will welcome your kind here
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:33:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Tennessee sounds great!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:37:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Central or East Tn
View Quote

We're full
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:54:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Northern Idaho, checks the boxes, the only liberal infestation is Boise.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:59:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Tennessee is full
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:05:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
South Dakota
Black Hills
View Quote

Being overrun by liberal trash from cali. Ill take all the conservative imports we can get!
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:07:15 AM EDT
[#49]
I think you would fit in nicely in Northern Idaho, if you could find property. Property values have shot up as people flee Blue states.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:08:19 AM EDT
[#50]
What do you need job/infrastructure wise?

Gulf coast states in rural areas still have affordable land.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top