BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/13/2022 12:51:03 PM EDT
So ya I get it the javelin can kill a T72

But how about this …

How much is a 40 + year old Cold War  era  Soviet MBT  worth  vs how much do these  Modern Javelin missiles  cost the US Tax payer ??

Plus maybe transport even ?? Follow the Money . Who really wins ?.

Ps Screw Putin .
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 12:55:45 PM EDT
[#1]
How much does it cost Russia to replace those tanks, if they even can? How much is it worth to bleed Russia's military dry and show the world that they're a paper tiger? How much is it worth to show the world that invading neighbors is going to be expensive?

I'm not a strategic expert by any stretch of the imagination, just musing.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#2]
It's going to cost a lot more to replace that 40 year old tank than the $80,000 missile(+ $100k reusable launcher) that took it out.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

But how about this …

How much is a 40 + year old Cold War  era  Soviet MBT  worth  vs how much do these  Modern Javelin missiles  cost the US Tax payer ??

Ps Screw Putin .
View Quote

Who wins? Thales
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 1:02:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

But how about this

Ps Screw Putin .
View Quote

We win because we can hand these things over and have someone else project our power for us.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 1:07:56 PM EDT
[#5]
If you don't kill the 40 year old tank it will certainly go on to kill and destroy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 1:09:05 PM EDT
[#6]
In addition to any destruction the tank will cause in the future, there is also the life of the 3-4 man crew plus the expense to train and house them until today is gone down the tubes.

A Javelin is cheap. From what I'm told since I've never operated one, a Javelin is also easy to learn to operate so little training costs.

Plus the more Javelins we sell/give away the more NextGen Javelins or whatever is the latest tech missile we get in our own inventory
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

But how about this …

Ps Screw Putin .
View Quote

How much does it cost to not take out the tank? Or the alternative of flying an Abrams over there and driving it up to the area to do the job? Javelins save money.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 1:10:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
+ Every developed friendly country wil place orders for said Javelins produced by the US defence industry.
View Quote

I can see the nlaws becoming real popular.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 1:12:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How much does it cost to not take out the tank? Or the alternative of flying an Abrams over there and driving it up to the area to do the job? Javelins save money.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But how about this …

Ps Screw Putin .

Do you really think we are going to fly one of our main battle tanks over there and let some potato farmers drive it around?
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 1:13:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How much does it cost Russia to replace those tanks, if they even can? How much is it worth to bleed Russia's military dry and show the world that they're a paper tiger? How much is it worth to show the world that invading neighbors is going to be expensive?

View Quote

Bingo..
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 1:13:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Comrade,

The tanks operated by the Russian military (not generally T-72As, but including the T-72B3, T-80U, T-90A, etc) vary in cost, from about $500k to about $5 million USD. Plus, each tank has 3 crewmembers. And each tank represents the maneuver power of the Russian military.

Each Javelin missile probably costs $100k to get it in the hands of a Ukrainian Soldier.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

dont try to make sense with these people. And yeah they could hardly build any new equipment prior to this. Let alone doing it after their banking system got turned into North Korea. Also, their military sales is going to plummet as their top end shit is getting smoke checked.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 1:16:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Do you really think we are going to fly one of our main battle tanks over there and let some potato farmers drive it around?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But how about this …

Ps Screw Putin .

News flash…we’ve already been training with Poland, and they’re interested in buying Abrams from us.  Not to mention, we already have propositioned stock in Europe right now—just have to put them on a train to move them to their needed location, or put them on a HETT and drive them in.  No Ukrainians would be driving our equipment, unless we admit to NATO and sell them our equipment.  I don’t see this happening in the near future.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 1:17:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

But how about this …

Ps Screw Putin .
View Quote

The tank can do a lot more damage than the cost of the rocket.  It’s not really about the replacement cost of the tank and the crew.  It’s more about the lives and infrastructure that the tank can destroy if allowed to keep rolling.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It's going to cost a lot more to replace that 40 year old tank than the $80,000 missile(+ $100k reusable launcher) that took it out.
View Quote

Don't forget about replacing and training the crew members
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 1:39:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Rather spend 100k having the ukrainians kill a russian tank that spend 100k killing a camel.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 1:45:11 PM EDT
[#18]
What's the cost of letting the tank live, and the cost of the lives and infrastructure it would otherwise destroy?

It's basically always worthwhile to take out an MBT, and even most IFVs.  For an APC, maybe an NLAWS or Spanish C90, or RPG7 might be a better cost/benefit choice.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 1:47:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I wonder how many Javelins we used to take out $500, rusted out, 20 year old, Toyota HiLux's carrying a couple Haji's with Ak's in Afghanistan?  Either way, good kills!
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 1:51:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Javelin is much cheaper.

And the NLAW is another alternative that is decimating Russian armor.

I just with there was a fast drone that could be crew served able to hit high altitude aircraft with the same cost ratio as the Javelin.

Figure that out and you would have some serious money heading your way.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 1:53:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Bingo..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo..

I’ll gladly pay the cost of thousands of Javelins to keep OUR people out of that fight.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#22]
The missile is more cost effective than the EBT card for the American taxpayer.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 1:55:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I am sure an AT4 probably could take out a T72
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 1:56:50 PM EDT
[#24]
As said above, how much does it cost to replace the tank. $5mil each.

Also said, the cost of bleeding the Russian army so when we go to war with them, they are half the size = priceless.

The Uks will cost Putin 100 billion $.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 1:58:33 PM EDT
[#25]
How much money i. Overall atms sales gas Russia lost vz how much have Western nations gained after people spent 3 weeks watching various  and sundry Russian systems get ass raped by western anti tank weapons, manpads, and Turkish drones.  There are multiple  videos of those cheap Bayraktars bjavelin. Russian anti aircraft weapons that the Russians  have been trying to sell to countries for drone defense.

We are spending a little money now to make a lot of money later.  No one is going to want Russian weapons after this, but every country out there is going to fall all over themselves to buy American javelins.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 2:01:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Javelins are pretty cheap compared to tanks.  I'm all for letting Ukrainians smoke Russian armor while they're valid targets.  Every tank destroyed reduces Russia's ability to project political power.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#27]
There's also the psychological effect. Imagine these Russian soldiers being told their equipment is vastly superior to anything the West has. Then you find out a column of Russian tanks and APCs was decimated by Western AT missiles. And it's not the first time. What does that do to morale? What does that do to your willingness to fight?
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 2:06:30 PM EDT
[#28]
The joy dead russians bring to the world is PRICELESS.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Makes me wonder how many Russian ICBMs / nukes even work, how many of the tubes on those Typhoons are even loaded, and if the PLA is similarly over-rated.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 2:09:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But how about this …

Ps Screw Putin .

Every tank kill probably motivates another crew of conscripts to just abandon theirs.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 2:12:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Tell me you don’t understand combat or economics without telling me you don’t understand combat or economics.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 2:15:26 PM EDT
[#32]
I just wonder where the unused ATGM and MANPADS are gonna go when this is all done.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 2:22:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 2:22:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I just wonder where the unused ATGM and MANPADS are gonna go when this is all done.
View Quote

Hopefully, all the way to Moscow.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#35]
I've noticed in some pics the Russians have welded steel canopies to the tops of their tank turrets, an obvious countermeasure to Javelins.

It will be interesting to see if how effective they are.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 2:26:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
+ Every developed friendly country wil place orders for said Javelins produced by the US defence industry.

They are complimentary weapons.  Get both.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 2:26:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If you don't kill the 40 year old tank it will certainly go on to kill and destroy.
View Quote

Correct. It's not the cost of destroying the tank, it's the cost of NOT destroying the tank.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 2:27:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Are you suggesting OP that we shouldn’t take out an enemy tank with a munition that costs more than the tank?  That’s total failure logic right there.  You are in luck though, a javelin missile costs about $175k.  A T-72 is 1.2-2 million.  Good bang for the buck right there.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 2:30:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

+ the cost of training a replacement tank crew.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#40]
WAR is BIG business.  American defense companies are going to be making large profits soon.  Then you have all this "Aid" that will go toward lucrative contracts to "rebuild" Ukraine but mostly pad the wallets of those connected.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 2:30:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I've noticed in some pics the Russians have welded steel canopies to the tops of their tank turrets, an obvious countermeasure to Javelins.

View Quote

The Russians, and the world, have already found out: they're ineffective.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Are you suggesting OP that we shouldn’t take out an enemy tank with a munition that costs more than the tank?  That’s total failure logic right there.  You are in luck though, a javelin missile costs about $175k.  A T-72 is 1.2-2 million.  Good bang for the buck right there.
View Quote

When you blow up an enemies old tank, they have to replace it with a new one, it's not like there's a used tank lot waiting for them.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 2:30:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/13/2022 2:34:36 PM EDT
[#44]
A tank can do a LOT of damage, the math isn't that simple.

but even if it was that simple

Gotta spend money to make money

The Western MIC has ruined the Russian MIC sales with this

Nobodies buying Ivan's wares anymore.  Gonna find T-90s at Dollar General after this.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 2:35:18 PM EDT
[#45]
You've been watching too much TV.

Do you have a cheaper and more effective way to kill a T72?  If so the DoD and i are all ears

The USA is a capitalist democracy.  Profits are a thing but that doesnt mean every action is dictated by profit.  We've learned the hard way that countries generally dont stop invading places until they're stopped.  Sometimes its checkers, not 4D tin-foil hat wearing chess
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 2:37:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Heard a senator say last night those javelins are $80k each
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#47]
If the Russians don't have enough newer tanks that they're willing to risk to replace those T72s, then those Javelins are worth exactly the price of a successful defense.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 2:39:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish I had bought some SAAB stocks.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Are you suggesting OP that we shouldn't take out an enemy tank with a munition that costs more than the tank?  That's total failure logic right there.  You are in luck though, a javelin missile costs about $175k.  A T-72 is 1.2-2 million.  Good bang for the buck right there.
View Quote

Missile is about 80,000 dollars. The CLU is like 175k. IIRC.

I was Javalin qualified. Those were the numbers told to us.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 2:41:16 PM EDT
[#50]
These off route mines would be cheaper.
Attachment Attached File

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top