Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 6/13/2022 6:12:20 PM EDT

Yellowstone National Park announced Monday that all entrances are temporarily closed because of hazardous conditions caused by flooding.

In a news release, the park cited “unprecedented amounts of rainfall” for causing flooding of roadways, mudslides and rockslides.

“Effective immediately, no inbound visitor traffic will be allowed into the park until conditions stabilize and the park can assess damage to roads and bridges and other facilities,” the park stated. “This includes visitors with lodging and camping reservations.”

As of Monday morning, power was out at multiple locations inside a park that spans 3,500 square miles in parts of Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho.

Flooding is so extensive that damaged roads might take weeks or longer to reopen.

“Preliminary assessments show multiple sections of roads throughout the park have been either washed out or covered in mud or rocks, and multiple bridges may be affected,” the park stated.

More rain is expected through midweek, and rapid snowmelt is causing rivers to swell, exacerbating the situation. The park stated that flooding on the Yellowstone River is “beyond record levels.”

“With additional rainfall forecasted, the park does not want large numbers of day-use visitors stranded in the park,” the news release explained.

The National Park Service and county authorities in Montana and Wyoming “will work with gateway communities to evaluate flooding impacts and provide support to residents.”

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/yellowstone-closes-entrances-citing-unprecedented-174514113.html

Additional Info

Home is swept away by surging Yellowstone River amid 'unprecedented' flooding that's closed national park for first time in 34 YEARS as families are rescued on rafts
Major flooding has created mudslides, rockslides and power outages inside of Yellowstone National Park
The National Park Service said that the flooding is 'beyond record levels'
Yellowstone National Park closed all of its entrances and says they will remain closed Tuesday and Wednesday at a minimum
It's the first time since 1988 that the park has been shut down in the summer
A house, designated for employees of the park, was shown on video being swept away by the Yellowstone River amid rising flood levels
More rain, along with snow showers and thunderstorms, are predicted for Tuesday
At least one community, considered a 'gateway' to the park, has been declared 'isolated' in the wake of the flooding  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10913125/Yellowstone-closes-entrances-unprecedented-flooding.html

Yellowstone flooding takes out bridge, washes out roads

House falls into river near Yellowstone Nat'l Park

Link Posted: 6/13/2022 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 6:19:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Somebody better tell the dude that stayed in Fargo last night.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 6:20:24 PM EDT
[#4]
In before caused by climate change.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#5]
That sucks for the people that have been planning their trip for a while.  It is what it is.

I remember standing on the catwalk by the Upper Falls after some heavy rain.  That was really cool.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 6:26:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Never moving to MT, WY, or ID.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought there was a 200 yr drought out west RN?
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh man, that’s gonna wash away the cap, and detonate that thing.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Crazy. When we were there in August the rivers were at drought levels.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 6:30:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Yowza!
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh man, that’s gonna wash away the cap, and detonate that thing.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/13/2022 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That sucks for the people that have been planning their trip for a while.  It is what it is.

I remember standing on the catwalk by the Upper Falls after some heavy rain.  That was really cool.
View Quote

I got family supposed to leave thurs for there,,I messaged the news link to them.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#13]
We have res at a Cody campground for 6 days over July 4 holiday. Been looking for another campground on west side after that. Wife said she read Yellowstone was closing for the season! Can anybody confirm? I guess we’ll be making changes in our itinerary.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 6:43:43 PM EDT
[#14]
That is pretty serious damage, I hope they can fix it in the next month or two, but I doubt. BTW I hope they some of that water can come to Kalifornia, we can use it, many of the major reservoirs are nearly dry. BTW I have heard that 50% of the water is for "environmental" purposes, remermber the snail darter fish? And 2/3 of the other half is for agriculture and 1/3 of that is for residential.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good call.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That is pretty serious damage, I hope they can fix it in the next month or two, but I doubt. BTW I hope they some of that water can come to Kalifornia, we can use it, many of the major reservoirs are nearly dry. BTW I have heard that 50% of the water is for "environmental" purposes, remermber the snail darter fish? And 2/3 of the other half is for agriculture and 1/3 of that is for residential.
View Quote

Yeah, nah.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Just drive through there 2 days ago. I’ve never seen so much rainfall and snowfall in this part of June. While everything was super green, the rivers were extremely high and much more snow was expected to melt.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 6:51:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Thats it.  No more bison attacking stupid tourists.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just drive through there 2 days ago. I’ve never seen so much rainfall and snowfall in this part of June. While everything was super green, the rivers were extremely high and much more snow was expected to melt.
View Quote

Nope. We're in the droughtiest of droughts. Wouldn't believe it myself if the news didn't say so.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 6:56:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Please group Colorado in there too.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 6:57:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry the Yellowstone flows to the Gulf of Mexico not the Pacific
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Nature is healing!
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

nope just the once in every 500 years flood that happened 500 years ago and now has started to happen once a decade. just like in colorado.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
We have res at a Cody campground for 6 days over July 4 holiday. Been looking for another campground on west side after that. Wife said she read Yellowstone was closing for the season! Can anybody confirm? I guess we’ll be making changes in our itinerary.
View Quote

I will be shocked as hell if the northern loop of Yellowstone is open again before winter.  Maybe not until spring.  The southern loop might be open, though.  No road damage there that I've heard of.  Cody should be fine for camping.  No flooding on this side that I've heard of.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:02:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Too late.  Bloomberg already blamed it on climate change.  Drought?  Climate change.  Flood?  Climate change?  Hurricanes?  Climate change.  No hurricanes?  Climate change.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:03:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Was think about them too, I couldn't find the thread.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:05:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Do they turn the buffalo off to save power if there aren't any visitors to see them?  Would be pretty inefficient to just leave those big things running.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:05:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Nope. We're in the droughtiest of droughts. Wouldn't believe it myself if the news didn't say so.
View Quote
We're still green in central WY, last year at this time my pasture was already cured out for the year. Sucks for Yellowstone but the last 3 years have been bad for us, I'll take all the moisture we can get.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Fuuuck. I’m taking the family to Yellowstone in 2 weeks
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Too late.  Bloomberg already blamed it on climate change.  Drought?  Climate change.  Flood?  Climate change?  Hurricanes?  Climate change.  No hurricanes?  Climate change.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I blame the wolves.

Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:07:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:10:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not up North, we're totally full. I think I read that we're at 110% of rainfall needed for the summer. Our driveway is flooded right now from all the rain we've gotten over the last week, and it's been pissing rain all day today.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Trump did this
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Fuuuck. I'm taking the family to Yellowstone in 2 weeks
View Quote

No you're not.  Lol
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:11:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Fuck. We’re supposed to be there from July 5 - 8th. Fuckity-fuck-fuck.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:11:47 PM EDT
[#36]
It isn't the flooding. A pack of Dogmen has rolled in on some Sasquatch territory and it's gonna be a huge battle royal.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:12:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Will any of this reach the Colorado river basin? Powell and Meade sure could use it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:13:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:13:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:16:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hotter than normal?  Global warming.  Colder than normal?  Climate change.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#41]
It looks like Jurassic park in there, are the fences down?
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:23:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It looks like Jurassic park in there, are the fences down?
View Quote

Ah-ah-ah....what's the magic word?
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:23:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Indeed.  

He may try to detour to glacier park instead.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:23:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cody should not be effected.  Cool little town, if you like hoards of people.  
@rickwriter

Can you confirm Rick?  Fuck, did I spell his screen name correctly?

Edit: I posted before reading the rest of the thread, Rik is already on this.  My first inclination was no C in his screen name and I changed it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#45]
California enters chat

California takes all the water because MINE MINE MINE!!!
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Well that sucks.  Yellowstone is the only place I can usually get my wife motivated for vacation planning and we were going to do a week in September again this year.  

May have to see if I can get her to sub Glacier.  She generally prefers Yellowstone around the rut but if we can't navigate the park we will have to come up with an alternate.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Send some of that moisture to CO!
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:29:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Spent the day there last Wednesday. We did the Lower Loop, stopping at 11 attractions. First time I'd been in many years. Was surprised at how
few people were there. Fair amount of Asian and European tourists, but we didn't feel crowded or rushed. Gas prices and the Jackson airport being
closed until the end of the month (expansion and maintenance) were likely to blame. I'll say I was surprised at the condition of the roads- worst I've
ever seen. Really bad in some spots.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Well that sucks.  Yellowstone is the only place I can usually get my wife motivated for vacation planning and we were going to do a week in September again this year.  

May have to see if I can get her to sub Glacier.  She generally prefers Yellowstone around the rut but if we can't navigate the park we will have to come up with an alternate.
View Quote

You could just stick to the southern loop of Yellowstone (it should be open no problem by then) and Grand Teton.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:30:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

nope just the once in every 500 years flood that happened 500 years ago and now has started to happen once a decade. just like in colorado.
View Quote

I think you don't know what 500 year flood means...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top