Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/16/2022 12:52:34 PM EDT
https://www.businessinsider.com/desantis-is-very-dangerous-individual-without-trumps-drama-expert-2022-6

DeSantis is a 'very dangerous individual' because he has 'already absorbed all the lessons of Trump' but doesn't have any of the baggage, an expert on fascism argues

• Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is best placed to take Trump's place as a 2024 GOP presidential nominee.

• The expert added that DeSantis 'doesn't have the baggage of Trump,' and could rally voters.

• An expert on authoritarianism told Insider that's because he's learned all of Trump's lessons.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis could be the GOP's natural successor to former President Donald Trump as a 2024 presidential candidate, and he doesn't come with Trump's drama, an expert on authoritarianism told Insider.

Ruth Ben-Ghiat is a historian at New York University, and the author of the book, "Strongmen: Mussolini to the Present." She has studied the backsliding of democracy, from the US to Russia, and elsewhere.

In a wide-ranging interview, she told Insider that in light of the January 6 hearings, Trump might have to be prosecuted in order to save American democracy ahead of the 2024 election. In that context, she said that DeSantis could take his place as a populist nominee.

"What we do find in history is prosecution, in the longer term, is one of the only things that deflates these guys' personality cults, because those cults are founded on the idea that they are invincible, they are infallible," Ben-Ghiat said. "Now, if that does happen to Trump — DeSantis has already absorbed all the lessons of Trump."

Ben-Ghiat has written several essays making her argument.

"He's clearly readying himself for a national run, whether it's in 2024 or later. And he's a very dangerous individual," Ben Ghiat said. "He's dangerous because he is equally repressive, but doesn't have the baggage of Trump. It's hard to have the baggage of Trump."

DeSantis has recently signed controversial bills like Florida's "Don't Say Gay" bill — which limits teachers' curriculum around sexual orientation and gender identity in grades Kindergarten through third — and the
Stop WOKE Act, which restricts how race is discussed in workplaces, schools, and colleges. He also implemented an Office of Election Crimes and Security, rankling voting rights advocates.

DeSantis, who has raised $124 million, has recently denied that he'll run in 2024, insisting that he's focused on his own race in 2022.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:53:02 PM EDT
[#1]
"an expert on fascism"
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#2]
They should be
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:56:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:58:09 PM EDT
[#4]
They'll go back to that time in third grade where he got an A- on a test because he spelled a word wrong. Then the army of rezidents will be regaling us with tales about what principled conservatives they are and how they can't vote for someone with a history of spelling errors. And you can't be mean to them because someone will make up a COC violation that's not actually a COC violation but we're in clown world.

I can't wait.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:59:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Why would they worry? They know the fix is in, and they help achieve the goals of the DemonRats.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#7]
From now on, all Republicans are literally Hitler.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:04:27 PM EDT
[#8]
DeSantis first move as President should be to issue arrest orders for all Democrat politicians, enlist “We the People” for assistance if needed
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:06:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They'll go back to that time in third grade where he got an A- on a test because he spelled a word wrong. Then the army of rezidents will be regaling us with tales about what principled conservatives they are and how they can't vote for someone with a history of spelling errors. And you can't be mean to them because someone will make up a COC violation that's not actually a COC violation but we're in clown world.

I can't wait.
View Quote

Are you talking about GD?
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:07:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Name me a single thing other than communism and chicks with dicks that liberals aren't "terrified" of.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:09:26 PM EDT
[#11]
This is what some have been saying wrt to Trump vs. DeSantis threads......

FL peeps get a pass for selfish reasons.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:10:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Name me a single thing other than communism and chicks with dicks that liberals aren't "terrified" of.
View Quote

Exactly.

This rhetoric is going to happen with ANY potential Republican candidate.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:10:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
"an expert on fascism"
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:12:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.

Except...if everybody is Hitler...nobody is.

Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:13:03 PM EDT
[#15]
They should be
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Saw that article yesterday “fascism”
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#17]
DJT will look like a saint compared to DeSantis when the MSM is finished.

We'll have signed statements from Satan condemning and disassociating himself from Ron.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:15:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Already tweets mean.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:15:27 PM EDT
[#19]
An expert on authoritarianism told Insider that's because he's learned all of Trump's lessons.

Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#20]
All a show by the media.  DeSantis won't be allowed to be president.  The tyrants running the show aren't going to give up power now that they've seized it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:17:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I hope he wins and goes absolute scorched earth.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:18:26 PM EDT
[#22]
“an expert on fascism”

Lol…suck my dick
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:18:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
"an expert on fascism"
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:20:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I bet the Dims already have their first couple of impeachment charges drafted up to start the obstruction of a Desantis Presidency on day 1.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:21:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
DeSantis first move as President should be to issue arrest orders for all Democrat politicians, enlist “We the People” for assistance if needed
View Quote

I absolutely believe he would bright the fight to the dems and root out the problems much more then Trump ever did.

I mean, I doubt there is going to be mass arrests but he'll do what he can.

Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:21:51 PM EDT
[#26]
No. Why would they be terrified when they got away with 2000 mules and a midnight ballot dump? The Republic fell a long time ago.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:25:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I love how they think a freely and fairly elected president can be a threat to democracy. If I am not mistaken that is the definition of democracy, freely and fairly elected gov.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:26:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
"an expert on fascism"
View Quote

Joe Biden?
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:29:16 PM EDT
[#29]
an expert on fascism argues
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:29:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Expert on fascism isn't even aware that fascism died with the end of WWII. Any current references to it are just made up accusations thrown at their political opponents.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#31]
"an expert on fascism", he must be currently advising the Biden administration on how to do it because with the authoritative forced vaccine mandates to fatten the pockets of big pharma they are well in their way.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:30:36 PM EDT
[#32]
If DeSantis does become President, I predict he won't get any more done than Trump did.
If he does manage to accomplish anything, it will be undone by the next Dem.
The Presidency is a waste of time for Republicans. (SCOTUS picks, maybe.)
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:31:17 PM EDT
[#33]
They want Trump to run soooo bad because it will be great for ratings.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#34]
DeSantis is the best option right now period.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
"an expert on fascism"
View Quote

"dangerous"

I hate these motherfuckers
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:33:52 PM EDT
[#36]
They want him to run because they want the Florida governors office.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:35:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If DeSantis does become President, I predict he won't get any more done than Trump did.
If he does manage to accomplish anything, it will be undone by the next Dem.
The Presidency is a waste of time for Republicans. (SCOTUS picks, maybe.)
View Quote

Florida is currently running record budget surpluses.

Having an actual conservative in the White House may do some real good, as opposed to somebody who just plays a Republican on reality tv.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:36:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
"an expert on fascism"
View Quote

Sounds like it’s written by a couple members here
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:36:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can you name a Republican candidate that they didn't claim were "literally Hitler™" ?
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:36:36 PM EDT
[#40]
If you don't think they are busy faking witnesses and making up stories at this moment then you've got a lot to learn.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:36:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I can't wait.
View Quote

We already had a “conservative” ass hat in another thread a week or two ago wringing his hands that he comes from a “catholic family”, and what that would mean for supporting conservatives.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:40:07 PM EDT
[#42]
At the end of the day DeSantis is a politician and won’t make any real meaningful change. Trump was a interesting pick cause he wasn’t a politician and that had hope attached to it. Once politicians did what politicians do, trump only really achieved things that can be undone rather than actually get things passed that can’t be undone as easy. Until all politics are uprooted, career politicians go bye bye, and the gov starts working for us again rather than themselve… I don’t have much hope of going back to a free country with real democracy.

For that reason all politicians scare me on all sides even DeSantis.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:41:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
"an expert on fascism"
View Quote

“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”

John Adams

Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:43:26 PM EDT
[#44]
That article is such a crock of shit. No wonder nobody trusts the media anymore.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#45]
An expert on projection is more like it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:44:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
"an expert on fascism"
View Quote

All progressives are, they are VERY introspective but also prone to projection...
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:46:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

When everyone is Hitler, nobody is Hitler... or the word ceases to have meaning.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#48]
"DeSantis has recently signed controversial bills like Florida's "Don't Say Gay" bill — which limits teachers' curriculum around sexual orientation and gender identity in grades Kindergarten through third grade"

No one other than the far left thinks it's controversial to not teach Kindergartners straight up faggotry.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:48:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Photo of "fascist" expert.

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top