Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/21/2022 1:56:44 PM EDT
Interesting thought process.

Are Modern Militaries overly Reliant on Anti-tank weapons? | ADDICTED TO JAVELIN & NLAW
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:00:35 PM EDT
[#1]
As opposed to what?  Letting tanks run over you?
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Lol. Some armies seem to be overly reliant on tanks.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:02:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

You stole my post!
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:06:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

AT mines, attack helos, your own tanks, etc.
Relying on just one system leaves you open to a tech breakthrough rendering you obsolete (e.g., relying only on tanks)
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:07:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

ATGM's are relatively cheap, easy to proliferate and effective, thats why they are used. I mean how many javelins can you buy for the cost of an attack helo squadron, or a tank company?
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:09:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Relying on just one system leaves you open to a tech breakthrough rendering you obsolete (e.g., relying only on tanks)
View Quote

Mines present other problems, and helicopters and other (good) tanks ain't cheap
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:10:04 PM EDT
[#7]
FPNI.

If there's a tank there ought to be an anti-tank weapon.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:11:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

ATGM's are relatively cheap, easy to proliferate and effective, thats why they are used. I mean how many javelins can you buy for the cost of an attack helo squadron, or a tank company?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would also add that sometime there's not a blue tank around when you really need one. It's sorta like a gun in that way. Best have your own and not rely on another
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:12:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Or you fall into the mineshaft gap.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:16:29 PM EDT
[#10]
If your tanks are fighting the other side's tanks, you've already fucked up.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Seems to be working well for the Ukrainians

sooo noooo
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:20:19 PM EDT
[#12]
LoL, someone asked “as opposed to what?” and I listed some alternatives.

There *are* other ways to stop tanks.
Sure, they have drawbacks and some are hideously expensive.  That wasn’t the question being asked in that post.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:20:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Helicopters are just flying ATGM platforms for purposes of this, along with light armor and recon sorts of vehicles
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

An ATGM can’t replace a tank.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:22:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

sooo noooo
View Quote

It worked decently in defense. It’s shit in offense compared to your own armor.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:26:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

sooo noooo

Yup, the current Ukraine war is a specific set of circumstances (combined with some real incompetence by the Russians)…
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:27:54 PM EDT
[#17]
It is harder to use them well with a properly set up attack.  If the attacker has good intel on positions and or probable positions then Air strikes, artillery, rockets should take out a lot of firing points.  Then roll in AFV's and Tanks smoke to obscure the advance.

We only had Dragons, LAW and TOW at the time also. Wire guided, except the LAW, you had to keep the target in the sight until impact.  Sucks to be you firing the Dragon or TOW.  The TOW was mounted on wheels or tracks for the most part so you might get distance before incoming gets you
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:31:01 PM EDT
[#18]
They're cheaper than tanks, especially when you factor in maintenance, and personnel costs.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yup, the current Ukraine war is a specific set of circumstances (combined with some real incompetence by the Russians)…
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

sooo noooo

It’s going to be a long fight to get people to learn the right lessons from this war. Always is.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:33:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They're cheaper than tanks, especially when you factor in maintenance, and personnel costs.
View Quote

That’s true, but they don’t do tank things either.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:35:00 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't know anything about it but I always thought tanks would do better on defense. They are big and heavy and need a lot of fuel not too far away. Seems like invaders always had trouble crossing long distances with them in the first string.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:40:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes leave all your ATGMs at the armory, please.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:43:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Doesn’t seem like a good choice
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:47:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Has the US ever fielded an AT hand grenade? Apparently no.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tank_grenade
In the late 1970s, the U.S. Army was worried about the lack of emergency anti-tank weapons for issue to its rear area units, to counter isolated enemy armored vehicles infiltrating or being air dropped. When the US Army asked for ideas, engineers at U.S. Army laboratories suggested the reverse-engineered and additional safety improvements of the East German AZ-58-K-100 HEAT anti-tank grenade that had been clandestinely obtained. This concept was called "HAG" for "High-explosive Antiarmor Grenade". While the civilian engineers working for the US Army thought it was a great idea, it was rejected out of hand by almost all senior US Army officers with field experience, who thought it would be more dangerous to the troops who used them than the enemy. The idea was quietly shelved by 1985.[22] This decision left many rear-area U.S. units with no heavier "anti-tank weapon" than the M2 heavy machine gun.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:49:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Short answer seems like "no".
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:51:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't know anything about it but I always thought tanks would do better on defense. They are big and heavy and need a lot of fuel not too far away. Seems like invaders always had trouble crossing long distances with them in the first string.
View Quote

Advances suck in general but advancing is harder without tanks than defending is without tanks. Advancing requires breaking strongpoints the defenders emplace.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:53:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

My understanding is that they are wasted on defense. If you need a big cannon to defend a particular spot you can build a concrete firing point and park a howitzer in it for cheap.

The thing that makes a tank useful is that the big cannon is mobile and can bring the pain to bad guys where they’re at.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Tanks are exceptionally useful in the defense. But less critical than in the offense. This is why US infantry formations use missile armed trucks or strykers for self defense but have or are procuring a cannon for attacking.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:56:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Insurgents do pretty good with them.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:58:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Considering that infantry is virtually helpless against modern armored vehicles (not just tanks), it seems like deploying as many man portable anti armor weapons as possible is a smart thing to do.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 3:07:38 PM EDT
[#31]
In sense that ATGMs have become the default weapon for almost every target out in view of the shooter, but that has more to do with its only guided weapon they have and guided weapons are so much more effective than unguided.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 3:20:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you watch the video? One of the concerns he raised is with modern atgms it's not just a warhead in a tube. There are other considerations at play.

Supply chain on high tech components as an example. Or the batteries to run the things. Mentions a report of dudes hooking up motorcycle batteries to get shit to work.

His point is diversification  and simplicity in the thought process at scale. And as was mentioned above technical changes that make your new wiz bang thing obsolete like APS.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 3:21:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
FPNI.

If there's a tank there ought to be an anti-tank weapon.
View Quote

That wasn't the point of the video and he never said there should not be an anti tank weapon. There should be an anti "fill in the blank" weapon.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Mines present other problems, and helicopters and other (good) tanks ain't cheap
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plus, you may not have an attack helo or a tank right where or when you need it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 3:26:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

https://i.ibb.co/YPFLjj6/AE3-C355-A-0-A35-4-CDE-BCD0-8-AB18-E6-F528-E.webp
https://i.ibb.co/47VHyBX/3652-A326-F41-F-411-E-82-CA-FF0-D6-D775567.webp

In the late 1970s, the U.S. Army was worried about the lack of emergency anti-tank weapons for issue to its rear area units, to counter isolated enemy armored vehicles infiltrating or being air dropped. When the US Army asked for ideas, engineers at U.S. Army laboratories suggested the reverse-engineered and additional safety improvements of the East German AZ-58-K-100 HEAT anti-tank grenade that had been clandestinely obtained. This concept was called "HAG" for "High-explosive Antiarmor Grenade". While the civilian engineers working for the US Army thought it was a great idea, it was rejected out of hand by almost all senior US Army officers with field experience, who thought it would be more dangerous to the troops who used them than the enemy. The idea was quietly shelved by 1985.[22] This decision left many rear-area U.S. units with no heavier "anti-tank weapon" than the M2 heavy machine gun.
View Quote
RKG-3s are pretty nasty.  We got lucky because the insurgent TTPs with them fucking sucked.  We lost a guy on a subordinate team to one, and another guy almost lost his leg.  

I think I've seen them in the Ukraine conflict as well.  Not sure how they'd do against a tank, but they went through MRAPs and 1151s without a thought.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 3:36:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Portable high powered laser systems mounted on tanks will make ATGM’s weaker.

Everything has a strength/weakness.

But building any force without multiple secondary backups is foolish.

How well would we do without air superiority?

How long has it been since our troops had no air cover?

Link Posted: 6/21/2022 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Lightweight composite roof armor to stop them is available but it needs to actually be bought for it to work…
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 3:50:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
RKG-3s are pretty nasty.  We got lucky because the insurgent TTPs with them fucking sucked.  We lost a guy on a subordinate team to one, and another guy almost lost his leg.  

I think I've seen them in the Ukraine conflict as well.  Not sure how they'd do against a tank, but they went through MRAPs and 1151s without a thought.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.ibb.co/YPFLjj6/AE3-C355-A-0-A35-4-CDE-BCD0-8-AB18-E6-F528-E.webp
https://i.ibb.co/47VHyBX/3652-A326-F41-F-411-E-82-CA-FF0-D6-D775567.webp

The Ukes have been dropping AT grenades on Russian AFVs and Tanks to good effect from small drones using homemade 3D printed release racks and fins.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Lightweight composite roof armor to stop them is available but it needs to actually be bought for it to work…
View Quote

In the ongoing "warhead vs. armor" race, armor historically holds the advantage for very brief stints.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

In the ongoing "warhead vs. armor" race, armor historically holds the advantage for very brief stints.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree, but the command economy to distribute this sort of hand grenade throughout the third world no longer exists, so the warheads found in shitholes are already there, and aren’t going to grow in size.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I would also add that sometime there's not a blue tank around when you really need one. It's sorta like a gun in that way. Best have your own and not rely on another
View Quote

Yup. And pretty much every squad can have some sort of ATGM.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 4:32:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

An ATGM can’t replace a tank.
View Quote

Agreed, they both have their place, which is why they are both used.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Not my field (never been military), but how effective are AT weapons against 'hard points' or other non-tank targets?

The other side is behind a concrete wall and shooting at you (several together)?

Machine gun emplacement?

Command of some kind is visible within range of the AT weapon?

I'd assume they do well against thin skinned stuff (maybe I'm wrong) like technicals, troop transport, etc.

Link Posted: 6/21/2022 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Did you watch the video? One of the concerns he raised is with modern atgms it's not just a warhead in a tube. There are other considerations at play.

Supply chain on high tech components as an example. Or the batteries to run the things. Mentions a report of dudes hooking up motorcycle batteries to get shit to work.

His point is diversification  and simplicity in the thought process at scale. And as was mentioned above technical changes that make your new wiz bang thing obsolete like APS.
View Quote

Doesn't seem like APS is working out real well in Ukraine. Maybe a western system would be better though. And really most armies have a mix of weapon systems to do different things. So I'm not really sure the point of the video most of his points were pretty dumb.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Not my field (never been military), but how effective are AT weapons against 'hard points' or other non-tank targets?

The other side is behind a concrete wall and shooting at you (several together)?

Machine gun emplacement?

Command of some kind is visible within range of the AT weapon?

I'd assume they do well against thin skinned stuff (maybe I'm wrong) like technicals, troop transport, etc.

View Quote

They have been used against all sorts of the targets you mention historically. In the Falkland's the premier anti-sniper weapon was the milan.

Link Posted: 6/21/2022 4:41:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 5:04:13 PM EDT
[#47]
No.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 5:08:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
In sense that ATGMs have become the default weapon for almost every target out in view of the shooter, but that has more to do with its only guided weapon they have and guided weapons are so much more effective than unguided.
View Quote

I remember the first time I saw a TOW sandbagged into a position on a FOB in Astan.  It was exceptionally effective, in that the optics/sensor were able to identify human targets at extended ranges and then the gunner could engage them with precision.  It must have worked because they had a pile of empties and kill marks on the side of the bunker.  Had to be kinda spendy, but not compared to calling in an aircraft.  

Link Posted: 6/21/2022 7:09:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Doesn't seem like APS is working out real well in Ukraine. Maybe a western system would be better though. And really most armies have a mix of weapon systems to do different things. So I'm not really sure the point of the video most of his points were pretty dumb.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They aren’t working real well because neither side is employing modern APS in quantity.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 7:18:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

They aren’t working real well because neither side is employing modern APS in quantity.
View Quote

I was about to say, is anyone over there using western APS? or just Russian stuff
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top