Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 7/18/2022 11:39:40 AM EDT
Friend of a friend is a lineman of 20 years. Last night he was working on a high voltage line that was de-energized. His leg hit or got close to a line and he was electrocuted. He has second and third degree burns and is still alive but the damage is severe. The line was energized due to a homeowner backfeeding their generator into the grid.

The dude has a wife and kids. Even if he makes it he'll never be the same. Will add links if the incident makes the news.

I'm posting this because there are many DIY'ers on this forum and the topic of generators comes up frequently.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:41:16 AM EDT
[#1]
well that's fucked up.

They should find the homeowner and slap his dick in the dirt.

I assume the 240 backfed to the transformer?
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Very bad news and my prayers go out to your friend op.  This is why we must ensure proper installation of generators or any back up power source.  I have a switch that cuts off the grid and I cannot use the generator with out it in the generator position.  Not very expensive to install and anyone not using these are being negligent.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:42:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Nothing but sympathy for your friend. We had a local fellow get hit badly and the recovery was long and hard.

I am curious though as to the mechanics of the generator being at fault. I am no lineman or even an electrician but I know they have a lot of risks.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#4]
An interlock and generator inlet receptacle is like $100. No reason not to have one if you are feeding a house with portable genny.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Damn, sorry to hear that.
I don't know why they can't put something into the meter at the house, that when the incoming line drops out, it disconnects the house from feeding back. Doesn't seem to me that would be that hard to do and would protect the linemen from this asshat shit.
Make so that if someone tries to feed back, it trips and they have to have the utility come re-start it--and fine them a couple of hundred dollars.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:44:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
well that's fucked up.

View Quote

Correct. 240v was backfed into the transformer which energized the line and he got hit with high voltage then.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:46:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Correct. 240v was backfed into the transformer which energized the line and he got hit with high voltage then.
View Quote

I see better now, I just assumed there was a disconnect from the transformer to the line and that was how the line was deenrgized.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll admit it, I haven't used my generator in the 2 years I've had it. I'm afraid that it would be possible foe me to set things wrong. I'd love a review of proper procedures.
The electrician wired the box to go to the breaker panel, but no particular safety switch.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:47:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Probably some do it yourself home owner who thought they didn't need the safety switch  Sucks for your friend.  He couldn't have know.

Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
well that's fucked up.

man that's fucked up. people are fucking stupid like that homeowner.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:49:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Stupid to back feed like that.

I’m also surprised that they don’t have a way to safely check for voltage on the lines prior to working on them.

Generally in industry you have a try step in the lockout process.  I don’t know what is the practice for utilities.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:49:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
An interlock and generator inlet receptacle is like $100. No reason not to have one if you are feeding a house with portable genny.
View Quote

This.

I replaced my whole panel to include an interlock.

No way I'd have that on my conscience.

Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:49:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
well that's fucked up.

They should find the  soon to be former homeowner and slap his dick in the dirt.

View Quote

I hope they find the guy and he doesn’t have any little kids that will be harmed because of his stupidity.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Fricking morons with their double male ended homemade cords. Dipshits. If you have one of those cords, go cut an end off of it before you kill someone.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:50:18 AM EDT
[#15]
They need to find the homeowner and wire him up.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:50:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Following as this is very relevant to my line of work and living along the coast... Very sorry to hear this.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#17]
How damn hard is it to turn off the main breaker???
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:50:44 AM EDT
[#18]
That's some bullshit.  Hope he recovers as much as he can.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's terrible
I'm a retired electrician and when we worked on high voltage, 480, 4160 or 13,800 we installed grounding clamps on all phases so any back fed energy would immediately go to ground.
Excuse my ignorance but do line workers do this also?

Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:51:04 AM EDT
[#20]
A local guy with 25 yrs in somehow had his bucket truck fuck up.His bucket swung into a line and it layed across his back. He had both arms amputated at the shoulder..??
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:51:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

you would be amazed at the amount of just plain dumb fucks out there.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:51:42 AM EDT
[#22]
homeowner is at fault. there will be consequences.

i have a whole house generator professionally installed and it part of the install is a switch that cuts connectivity to the transformer before generator starts.

what im curious about is for folks that have solar power backfed to grid how is that done to code to prevent issues like this?
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:51:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
No need to, the power was already out!
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:51:52 AM EDT
[#24]
I understand 100% that a transfer switch is the proper way to do this,  but in an emergency is shutting off the main breaker or throw switch leading to the house sufficient to prevent this?
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:52:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Fricking morons with their double male ended homemade cords. Dipshits. If you have one of those cords, go cut an end off of it before you kill someone.
View Quote

As someone who doesn't know much about the world of electricians....can you explain what happened here and what that is?
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:52:40 AM EDT
[#26]
The local co-op guys stopped by one time after an outage when they heard my generator running. My set up was given the thumbs up by them, complete transfer switch and interlock. They told me one of their guys got bit the same way OP described so they check every set up they find.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:52:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I understand 100% that a transfer switch is the proper way to do this,  but in an emergency is shutting off the main breaker or throw switch leading to the house sufficient to prevent this?
View Quote
Yes, but super UN-reliable that folks will remember.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:53:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Most people that back-feed their panels have no idea that transformers work both ways.

Also, glad your friend wasn't really electrocuted, because that would mean he was dead.

Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:53:35 AM EDT
[#29]
It’s amazing the number of people that think that this not a big deal.  They always say they will cut the main but the fact is people forget and screw up all the time.  An interlock or transfer switch is the only way to go.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:54:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Being a lineman is a very dangerous occupation for a myriad of reasons. I wouldn’t do it. I felt much safer in the river bottom with my M-4 or Scatt. Tech 870 laying in on dope loads. At least I had some control of my destiny.

Two people I know are dead from electricity, both were linemen.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Indeed.  When I was living in hurricane country, they were ALWAYS running ads about why you shouldn't plug your generator straight into your house.  Idiots like that don't deserve to breathe free air.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:55:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Very bad news and my prayers go out to your friend op.  This is why we must ensure proper installation of generators or any back up power source.  I have a switch that cuts off the grid and I cannot use the generator with out it in the generator position.  Not very expensive to install and anyone not using these are being negligent.
View Quote

I have one too. It's the main breaker in my breaker box. Doesn't take a lot of brain power to manually shut off one source of power before feeding with another source i.e. generator.

I can see automatic switching for whole-house generators that come on when grid power fails.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I’m also surprised that they don’t have a way to safely check for voltage on the lines prior to working on them.

Generally in industry you have a try step in the lockout process.  I don’t know what is the practice for utilities.
View Quote

It's very simple to check, but you can't lock out every house that's connected, and it only takes a second to turn on a generator.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:56:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Friend of a friend is a lineman of 20 years. Last night he was working on a high voltage line that was de-energized. His leg hit or got close to a line and he was electrocuted. He has second and third degree burns and is still alive but the damage is severe. The line was energized due to a homeowner backfeeding their generator into the grid.

The dude has a wife and kids. Even if he makes it he'll never be the same. Will add links if the incident makes the news.

I'm posting this because there are many DIY'ers on this forum and the topic of generators comes up frequently.
View Quote

Genuinely sorry for what happened.  Is in not a standard practice to put a meter on it to determine if it is cold? (Not a lineman genuine question) I do anytime I do anything electrical.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:56:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Damn that sucks OP.  Prayers for your friend.
When I'm out on storm restoration that's one of the main things I listen for.   We white meter and ground, but a generator firing up makes everyone stop.     Absolutely unacceptable by the homeowner, the idiot.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:56:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It’s amazing the number of people that think that this not a big deal.  They always say they will cut the main but the fact is people forget and screw up all the time.  An interlock or transfer switch is the only way to go.
View Quote

I have a check list with a LOTO on the outside panel that feeds the sub in my house. My whip plugs into my dryer outlet for my portable genny.

So, I always check to see if I LOTO the main, and if it is, then that means the breaker to the sub is off and I am good to go.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:58:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Complacency kills.  If he was working a “dead line” he should have had grounding straps on.   Yes the homeowner fucked up but in line work ground straps are important.  We always hear about the warnings on back feeding the grid but it rarely happens.  Real shame for your friend.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

As someone who doesn't know much about the world of electricians....can you explain what happened here and what that is?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably a dryer cord wired into the breaker panel to basically feed it backwards from a generator. If it isn't isolated from the grid either by transfer switch or shutting off the main breaker, the power from the generator will go back through the meter and into the grid, energizing a system believed to be dead (or have downed lines, etc)
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:58:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

They do have ways to check. The problem is that they can check an find the lines dead. But someone can fire up a generator and back feed at any time.

I sometimes see them ground the lines. But I've never seen them open up every switch/disconnect to individual transformers.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:58:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I have one too. It's the main breaker in my breaker box. Doesn't take a lot of brain power to manually shut off one source of power before feeding with another source i.e. generator.

I can see automatic switching for whole-house generators that come on when grid power fails.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But you can't even see the main breaker until you get the generator fired up so that the lights are back on.
Then, by the time you get to the switch, the person is already fried.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:59:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Relieved to read he's not actually dead.  Electrocuted = dead.

Don't mean to be nitpicky, but you may want to rephrase to shocked or zapped or something.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Genuinely sorry for what happened.  Is in not a standard practice to put a meter on it to determine if it is cold? (Not a lineman genuine question) I do anytime I do anything electrical.
View Quote

It's possible he checked the line and it wasn't hot....before dummy homeowner energized the line.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Goddamn stupid homeowner.  I have a generator and I won't ever plug it into the panel, I just run extension cords to the appliances I need to run.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:59:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Wouldn’t a line tech use grounding straps even if the line was supposed to be de-energized?
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
But you can't even see the main breaker until you get the generator fired up so that the lights are back on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what flashlights are for.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#46]
How does feeding the grid not trip the breakers on the generator?
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:01:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Goddamn stupid homeowner.  I have a generator and I won't ever plug it into the panel, I just run extension cords to the appliances I need to run.
View Quote
I have a separate panel that has 10 breakers in it. Has rocker switches, the circuits can be on grid or on solar, can't be both. My house is on solar (all except the couple of 240 V things).
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:02:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If only there were some sort of battery powered device that let people work in the dark......
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:02:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
That's terrible
I'm a retired electrician and when we worked on high voltage, 480, 4160 or 13,800 we installed grounding clamps on all phases so any back fed energy would immediately go to ground.
Excuse my ignorance but do line workers do this also?

View Quote

Thats my question too. I am severely sympathetic for your buddy but I do believe he is, a least partly, to blame for his own injuries.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:03:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit, but that is not what the asshole home owners are thinking of at the time. They are focused on getting the power back on, then they worry about back feeding.  Why this happens.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top