Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/1/2022 9:33:17 PM EDT

How do the Arfcom truckers feel about this?

Probably no range but power, less maintenance, acceleration, regen breaking.

Good day trucking but not OTR?
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:35:50 PM EDT
[#1]
How many tons of batteries is it gonna have?  Might detract from the cargo weight with 80,000lb gross weight limit.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:36:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:38:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Honestly a pretty cool idea for the last mile use.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#4]
So now just like cars the .gov will be able to shut off trucking if the proles get uppity.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:39:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Honestly a pretty cool idea for the last mile use.
View Quote

Good point.  At a port, it defeats the bullshit regs that cali did that screwed up loading/offloading trucks.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:43:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Electric makes far more sense for trucking than it does for personally-owned vehicles.

I have no idea if the Tesla version is going to be successful, but it’s coming in one form or another.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:44:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn, he pulled a Steve Jobs saying deliveries start now. It looks like a great product and I hope it does well.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:44:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#9]
It was cool hearing them saying it was really hard testing breaks on prolonged declines because the regen breaking was keeping the actual breaks cold every time.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:50:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So now just like cars the .gov will be able to shut off trucking if the proles get uppity.
View Quote

Auto shutoff is coming for every car.

Electricity is more decentralized than diesel is. Though.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:51:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Not a trucker but good for Tesla.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:52:02 PM EDT
[#12]
OP is looking for trucker cons, not pros.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:52:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It was cool hearing them saying it was really hard testing breaks on prolonged declines because the regen breaking was keeping the actual breaks cold every time.
View Quote

Brakes dammit, BRAKES!
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:55:13 PM EDT
[#14]
As an ex trucker. I gotta say that thing is ugly AF.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:56:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How many tons of batteries is it gonna have?  Might detract from the cargo weight with 80,000lb gross weight limit.
View Quote
they mentioned that electric trucks can go up to 82k lbs
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:57:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Video mentioned electric truck limits are 2000lbs higher....so I'm going with at least 1 ton.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:58:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perfect so they can fit 1 ton of cargo on their 40 ton truck!
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:00:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Slowly have become a Musk fan,  just don't like the average Tesla owner .   Always think of the movie " Tucker ,a man and his dreams ", how did Musk overcome Big Auto  ?
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:00:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How convenient.  

Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:02:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Video mentioned electric truck limits are 2000lbs higher....so I'm going with at least 1 ton.
View Quote
The battery in a passenger car weighs that much.   A rig would need 10s of thousands of pounds of battery to haul OTR full weight loads for 10 hours straight.

It'll be interesting to see this play out.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:05:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Not surprised at this.

Tesla has been running them in mid-south Arizona for the last two years.

There is a refrigerated 10 wheel box truck that has been making regular runs to the Shell gas station at the junction of SR 87 (87 yup!) and SR 387 all summer/year long.
That would be a max load test of the battery for a day cabber on a dedicated daily route.

The Semis have mostly been flatbeds running LTL (Less Than full Load) concrete blocks as weight.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:08:04 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm surprised they don't have a van. That would be a great choice for a local delivery company or any business that relies on local and frequent deliveries.

But imagine an Amazon facility full of them. They'd probably need a dedicated nuke plant.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:08:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The battery in a passenger car weighs that much.   A rig would need 10s of thousands of pounds of battery to haul OTR full weight loads for 10 hours straight.

View Quote
they said that the main drive motor is the size of a football. I guess there is a lot of weight savings by not needed an ICE
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:08:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you're not a shitty driver you shouldn't have hot brakes ever going downhill.  If you do you aren't in the correct gear or you fucked up.  If I'm on a long downgrade it's pretty rare for me to ever even tap my brakes going downhill, let alone heat them up.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:09:15 PM EDT
[#25]
American company.  If it is capitalistically feasible,  then great win.  If subsidies are needed, fuck it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:11:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Holy hell... Cooled charging cables pushing a megawatt dc....

Does the thing fit in a boring company tunnel?
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:13:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It was cool hearing them saying it was really hard testing breaks brakes on prolonged declines because the regen breaking braking was keeping the actual breaks brakes cold every time.
View Quote

Whew! Spelling OCD mode is now off.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:14:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
they said that the main drive motor is the size of a football. I guess there is a lot of weight savings by not needed an ICE
View Quote
I find that hard to believe. Unless it's spinning a Brazilian rpms and geared crazy deep.

The motors in Tesla passenger cars are bigger than that.

An engine and transmission in a rig probably weigh....5k lbs or so if I had to guess?  

There is probably someone here that actually knows.  Doesn't seem like enough battery but we'll see I guess.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:15:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you haven't seen the connectivity they are pushing to ALL new cars then I have some bad news for you.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:18:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tractor is around 27k pounds. A diesel tractor is around 25k pounds. Not a huge difference.  I mean current trucks hold up to 300 gallons of diesel that’s an extra 2,100lbs for a full tank.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:20:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Tractor is around 27k pounds. A diesel tractor is around 25k pounds. Not a huge difference.  I mean current trucks hold up to 300 gallons of diesel that’s an extra 2,100lbs for a full tank.
View Quote

Which is probably the extra 2k.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:21:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

10’s of thousands of pounds  The battery pack weighs around 8k pounds.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:22:43 PM EDT
[#33]
If you really wanted to make an impact on trucking you’d make single lanes on freeways dedicated to freight with suspended cables and driverless vehicles like urban trains.

No batteries, all electric, just get a vehicle on the line and let it run to its hub.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:25:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

10's of thousands of pounds  The battery pack weighs around 8k pounds.
View Quote
Can it haul 80k gross across any elevation for 8-10 hours like a modern diesel?  

Saying it weighs 8k without also detailing its capability in the real world is kinda meaningless.  

The Ford lightning can go 300 miles until you ask it to tow 7k lbs up a hill, then it goes 80.

Is the Tesla rig an OTR replacement or local only?
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:27:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If you really wanted to make an impact on trucking you’d make single lanes on freeways dedicated to freight with suspended cables and driverless vehicles like urban trains.

No batteries, all electric, just get a vehicle on the line and let it run to its hub.
View Quote

Or we could make them diesel electric and call them trains.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:32:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Saying it weighs 8k without also detailing its capability in the real world is kinda meaningless.  

The Ford lightning can go 300 miles until you ask it to tow 7k lbs up a hill, then it goes 80.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Being estimated that it’s capacity is

44 tons of cargo across 500 miles.

So probably local with over night charging. I don’t think it can replace OTR
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:35:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Being estimated that it's capacity is

44 tons of cargo across 500 miles.

So probably local with over night charging. I don't think it can replace OTR
View Quote
Local makes a lot of sense.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:38:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Way to shit on your own screen name.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:38:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
OTR isn't happening until there's fuel cells or something else that isn't batteries.  But the possibilities for local delivery, ports and railyards, etc. are huge.  And eventually that will expand to local delivery vans (Rivian / Amazon), school busses, and other stuff that logs under 100ish miles a day.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:42:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the Teslas are intended to be more regional or local.  Something like Walmart transporting stuff from their distribution centers to their stores.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:44:29 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm kind of interested, but am not watching a 57 minute Tesla video.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:44:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

At 41:15 in the video they show an 8 hour, 500mi run at full load from Fresno to San Diego
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:46:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

At 41:15 in the video they show an 8 hour, 500mi run at full load from Fresno to San Diego
View Quote
I'm not familiar with the terrain, lots of hills or ?
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:47:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

These will do ok for a truck that comes back to a warehouse every night. It will be decades before the infrastructure will be built out to charge multiple trucks at a truck stop in a reasonable time.

My 2014 Pete 389 280" wb with a ISX 15, Eaton 18spd, and Eaton 40k rears weighs 22000lbs. Most dry van loads are 45k and flatbed 48k, so even with its extra 2k it still falls short of Hauling them. As to their amazing regen brakes, ask my 700k old brake pads how the ISX engine break works.  And my average gross weight is around 95k and up to 105k on 5 axles doing "heavy haul" or anything up to 65k on my RGN. I want to see how far it goes with one of these loaded up. At 105k I can go about 800 miles between fueling

]
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:54:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

These will do ok for a truck that comes back to a warehouse every night. It will be decades before the infrastructure will be built out to charge multiple trucks at a truck stop in a reasonable time.

My 2014 Pete 389 280" wb with a ISX 15, Eaton 18spd, and Eaton 40k rears weighs 22000lbs. Most dry van loads are 45k and flatbed 48k, so even with its extra 2k it still falls short of Hauling them. As to their amazing regen brakes, ask my 700k old brake pads how the ISX engine break works.  And my average gross weight is around 95k and up to 105k on 5 axles doing "heavy haul" or anything up to 65k on my RGN. I want to see how far it goes with one of these loaded up. At 105k I can go about 800 miles between fueling

https://i.postimg.cc/XYRnF6PY/20190607-191518-01.jpg]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/XYRnF6PY/20190607-191518-01.jpg]

Ya well bro.

It’s definitely not as baller as your souped up lo-boy hauler.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:09:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Once they get autonomous driving figured out, range or max loads won't be as much an issue.  Although trucks would have to charge for an hour or so every 500 miles, without a driver the trucks would run continuously 20 hours a day and be cheaper to operate without a driver.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:19:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Weird, the driver sits in the center of the cab.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:21:42 PM EDT
[#48]
those ice road truckers could use a fleet of em
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:25:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

If you haven't seen the connectivity they are pushing to ALL new cars then I have some bad news for you.  
View Quote

I have seen it. Now it’s going to be a two pronged attack. Not only will you be to drive to the store but neither can the stores suppliers. If you want to work and eat you better move to the big city and use public transportation.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:57:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That takes you through the grapevine which has a summit of around 4,100 ft.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top