Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/23/2023 9:00:45 PM EDT

WILBRAHAM, Mass. — For nearly a year and a half, a Massachusetts high school has been lit up around the clock because the district can’t turn off the roughly 7,000 lights in the sprawling building.

The lighting system was installed at Minnechaug Regional High School when it was built over a decade ago and was intended to save money and energy. But ever since the software that runs it failed on Aug. 24, 2021, the lights in the Springfield suburbs school have been on continuously, costing taxpayers a small fortune.

“We are very much aware this is costing taxpayers a significant amount of money,” Aaron Osborne, the assistant superintendent of finance at the Hampden-Wilbraham Regional School District, told NBC News. “And we have been doing everything we can to get this problem solved.”
View Quote

One of the cost-saving measures the school board insisted on was a “green lighting system” run on software installed by a company called 5th Light to control the lights in the building. The system was designed to save energy — and thus save money — by automatically adjusting the lights as needed.
View Quote

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/lights-massachusetts-school-year-no-one-can-turn-rcna65611

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:02:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I guarantee there is a breaker or three that would shut the whole thing down and still leave other items on.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:05:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I guarantee there is a breaker or three that would shut the whole thing down and still leave other items on.
View Quote

Exactly.  Idiots. Just flip the main breaker each night.

And I am a plumber!
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:07:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's this damn supply chain and COVID!

Now they'll spend a million bucks fixing it. Oh man I can't get enough tech in my life. Maybe I can get a next gen smart faucet that won't dispense water if it isn't updated
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:08:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#7]
So....turn them off at THE FUCKING BREAKER PANEL??????
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:12:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I work high school maintenance. My building was built in the late 70's. All the lights for every area have their own panel. Separate panel for recepticles. I find it extremely difficult to believe they "cannot shut them off". We have building automation too. Guess what? YOU CAN MANUALLY OVERRIDE EVERYTHING!!!!
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So....turn them off at THE FUCKING BREAKER PANEL??????
View Quote

No shit, even a parts guy knows that.
Because I have to at night to shut off half our lights in parts.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:13:04 PM EDT
[#11]
You do know there IS no breaker panel?

The software takes the place of that.

It's not THAT simple.

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:13:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Building automation is such a shitshow.    Causes more problems than it solves
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:14:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Voters must’ve voted down a tax increase for pay raises for everyone .

Voting down pay raises has consequences
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:14:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Seems about right for New England
View Quote

In just about any state they would unfuck that quickly.  Especially the skinflint states.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:15:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It's not THAT simple.

View Quote

LMAOOOOO.....

there is a wire going into that system from the energy company.

Call the energy company to shut power, cut said cable, installed high amperage cut off.

problem solved.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Not even exactly sure how this system works and why they couldn't run a bypass around the computer to regain manual control of the power
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#18]
So dumb. Let's automate stuff with non standard shit.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:16:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's not THAT simple.

View Quote

There is a breaker somewhere that feeds it regardless of the controls. The real problem is an abrupt power disruption usually fucks up the software and lights end up not coming back on. We’re experiencing this first hard at our office with a piece of shit lighting system I manage
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:20:05 PM EDT
[#20]
This happened at my highschool growing up. Not the same system but similar problem. I couldn't believe they were not fliping the breaker.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Building automation is such a shitshow.    Causes more problems than it solves
View Quote

And it's only getting worse.  Performance contracting is a scam.  

They spend thousands and thousand of dollars on Niagra or similar supervisor systems, then let Joe Lawnmower try to run it.

Save the money, send Joe Lawnmore to school, invest in your people not the hoo-doo AI software.

Rant off.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:22:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:22:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Building lighting and OCC systems are dumbest thing these days, esp daylight harvesting. Pretty much ever system we put in gets overriden with in a month or two.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:23:42 PM EDT
[#24]
But…but…if you shut off all the power, all the clocks will be wrong.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:30:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So dumb. Let's automate stuff with non standard shit.  
View Quote

They should just yank the guts out and put in some timer relays.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Shit is retarded. Even a squirrel could shut that shit down.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#27]
So I may not be able to charge my electric car now though, that damn place sucking down all the electricity.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#28]
COMcheck energy code shit.

Thank the .gov...
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:42:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It's not THAT simple.

View Quote

There is always a disconnect somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:43:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Have one of the students figure it out...
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:46:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#32]
I could shut those lights off, and I’d only charge them $10k.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:48:12 PM EDT
[#33]
There's probably a dozen kids at the school that could fix this.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Sounds like SAP. (Stop All Production)
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#35]
“We are very much aware this is costing taxpayers a significant amount of money, but fuck them” Aaron Osborne,
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:50:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It's not THAT simple.

View Quote
Ctrl + Alt + delete that shit and move on.

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:52:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It's not THAT simple.

View Quote

This requires a MASSIVE explanation.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:52:58 PM EDT
[#38]
My high school was built in the late 1970s, by a contractor that embezzled a fair amount of the budget (and did the same to several other schools he was building at the time).  The interior walls were 1/4" sheetrock.  The halls constantly had holes in the walls because someone got bumped into them.  The fad at the time was a sealed building for energy efficiency, but the builder didn't install the correct HVAC system, so there was no fresh air inflow.  Everyone got drowsy at the end of the day because co2 level got high from 800 kids breathing...

The cafeteria was actually supposed to be the indoor pool,  and even had a retracting wall so there would be seating for tournaments.  Because so much of the funds were stolen, the pool was scrapped and the space converted to be the cafeteria (ever see an Olympic pool sized school cafeteria with 40' ceiling and an alcove for diving boards?

The contractor was eventually arrested, convicted, and went to prison for a while, but the money was gone.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:54:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It's not THAT simple.

View Quote

OSHA would like to have a word with your Lockout/Tagout program
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:57:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

How fucking stupid are school administrators? Seriously.

No matter what fancy computer controls you put in, there is 100% guaranteed a disconnect between the power feed and the controls.

More likely they're afraid if they shut it down the lights won't turn back on, which is possible. It's still not that hard a fix for a summer project, so it goes back to my first statement above.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:57:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I work high school maintenance. My building was built in the late 70's. All the lights for every area have their own panel. Separate panel for recepticles. I find it extremely difficult to believe they "cannot shut them off". We have building automation too. Guess what? YOU CAN MANUALLY OVERRIDE EVERYTHING!!!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I despise "automation" with the hatred of a thousand suns.  That said, turning thing off is easy.  It' the getting shit to turn on/work correctly that's a bitch.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:57:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Which begs another question...in the event of fire/flood similar emergency, wouldn't the main electrical (or at the very least the lights) need a main "OFF?"

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Gubmint workers.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:59:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Think about it. Those are the people placed in charge of supposedly educating our children.

No wonder this country is so fucked up.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 10:08:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It's not THAT simple.

View Quote

Why did you install such a shitty system at this school?
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 10:19:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Article says they are turning off some breakers... Teachers are unscrewing led lamps to darken rooms for presentations...

All the schools I've built around here are occupancy controlled with manual overrides for the interior and photocell overridden time clocks for exterior.

Fuck those lighting scene controls...looking at you Creston.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 10:26:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

There is a breaker somewhere that feeds it regardless of the controls. The real problem is an abrupt power disruption usually fucks up the software and lights end up not coming back on. We’re experiencing this first hard at our office with a piece of shit lighting system I manage
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not THAT simple.

Exactly.  The problem isn't turning them off.  That's easy.  The problem is getting them back on.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 10:28:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I despise "automation" with the hatred of a thousand suns.  That said, turning thing off is easy.  It' the getting shit to turn on/work correctly that's a bitch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have Trane here almost everyday because the automation is funky. I've been here 6 years and we still have to turn on/off the circ pumps and chillers by hand.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 10:30:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Which begs another question...in the event of fire/flood similar emergency, wouldn't the main electrical (or at the very least the lights) need a main "OFF?"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. Big fucking switch. Lever is 2 feet long.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 10:32:21 PM EDT
[#50]
They can't get an electrician, or, someone who understands how to work the computer to fix it? For more than a year?

And they are entrusted with preparing kids for the future?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top