Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/13/2023 7:44:24 PM EDT
"Women and Children",..first.

Would you actualy Drown for them.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#1]
The past is another country. They do things differently there.

That said if you, as a man had fought, scratched and clawed your way into one of the boats. You would probably be internationally famous for your cowardly actions once Carpathia got to port.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 7:49:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Rose could have scooted her ass over and made room for Jack on that stupid door she was floating on.

Fuckin' bitch.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 7:51:22 PM EDT
[#3]
There were no feminist on the Titanic.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 7:52:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rose could have scooted her ass over and made room for Jack on that stupid door she was floating on.

Fuckin' bitch.
View Quote

Hey, there's Tommy Rose. Rose, what you ridin' there?
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 7:54:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a fucking boomer so honor and dignity are still a thing for me.  Yeah, I'd save women and children first.  And then old folks, especially rich ones cuz afterwards?  Yeah, I'm gonna expect some compensation.  If I survive.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 7:55:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Fuckin' bitch.
View Quote

With that thicc ass?  Maybe not...
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 7:58:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm a fucking boomer so honor and dignity are still a thing for me.  Yeah, I'd save women and children first.  And then old folks, especially rich ones cuz afterwards?  Yeah, I'm gonna expect some compensation.  If I survive.
View Quote

This. I also spent many years in the military and would have willingly died for it too, so yes. I would sacrifice myself for children. And the right women.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:02:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I once said, every man believes in the adage of "Women and children first!” when they’re standing on the dock.
Once you're waist deep in the Atlantic on the deck of the Titanic, you might be surprised at how many guys
will put on a dress and try to Billy Zane their way into a lifeboat.

The Birkenhead Drill isn’t for pussies.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:04:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Different era…honor, dignity, decorum all meant something. Notice pictures from that era with most men wearing jacket, hat and tie. Ladies never went out unless properly attired. Compare and contrast to what we have today.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:05:16 PM EDT
[#10]
If you are locked up in the steerage section you might not have the choice.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:07:42 PM EDT
[#11]
As a former HT, I've thought about this over and over.

I understand the bulkheads were not water tight. I get that they had "gaps" at the top for air flow. The question that lingers with me, could there have been a way to create a water tight bulkhead after the fact..?
I would like to think I could have mobilized the men and that fucking band to stuff mattresses and get us a fighting chance or die trying.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:10:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I would have grabbed a dinning table they would have been better than a door.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:11:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Fuckin' bitch.
View Quote

Rose was rotten selfish cunt. If she just would have stayed on the first life boat jack would have had the door all to himself. Cal and Lovejoy could have just paid their way on to one of Murdoch's boats like they intended.  She was directly responsible Jack's and Lovejoy's death that night.
 That selfishness followed her her whole life. The bitch just throws the dimond away knowing full well what it could have done to help her caretaking granddaughter.  After the movie implies she died at the end look at all the pictures of herself (not her family) she had at her bedside. Let's not forget just leaving her mother high and dry after presumably spending the last of their family money to keep her in good graces with the high society while she was trying to find a wealthy husband.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:12:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
As a former HT, I've thought about this over and over.

I understand the bulkheads were not water tight. I get that they had "gaps" at the top for air flow. The question that lingers with me, could there have been a way to create a water tight bulkhead after the fact..?
I would like to think I could have mobilized the men and that fucking band to stuff mattresses and get us a fighting chance or die trying.
View Quote

With a full wooden interior and a carpenter's shop on board I think a few more floating things could have been fashioned. Nobody treated the sinking as serious until it was too late to launch lifeboats full from both sides.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:13:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Read up on “The Birkenhead Drill”.  Different times and better men.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:17:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't know.  Id' like to think so.
You'd probably freeze before you got the chance to drown, but there was a different class of men back then.

ETA:  And women.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I’m making my way to the buffet line, no one will be there and its all you can eat for the rest of your life!
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:18:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Heck, if such a thing would happen today I wouldn’t be terribly surprised to hear that the men had shot the women, children and the crew then pitched them into the ocean before even launching the boats.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hypothermia is more likely.

Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

With a full wooden interior and a carpenter's shop on board I think a few more floating things could have been fashioned. Nobody treated the sinking as serious until it was too late to launch lifeboats full from both sides.
View Quote

I just can't wrap my head around it, logically thinking... the average person has zero idea how to jump into action at the least expected time, amidst a chaotic situation nonetheless.

I've read many daring acts carried out at sea, I've spent time in the middle of the ocean and I can understand how non seafaring folks can panic quick..
I had a panic attack once, I was below the waterline under an engine room, welding. My light went black, absolutely no room to turn over, couldn't see my hand in front of my face. Then the thought of another ship ramming into us and getting stuck sent me into a slight panic. I never told anyone that, but fuck..getting crushed and drowning sounds wretched.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Hypothermia is more likely.

View Quote

Hypothermia would cause you to have slow reaction, sink and drown. So I heard.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:24:29 PM EDT
[#22]
There is a story about a drunk crew member that survived the night.

Here we go...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Joughin
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:24:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Children and pregnant women.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#24]
That would have sucked. Drownings bad at whatever depth but especially in some bottomless abyss, knowing you would be food for some creepy Greenland shark.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#25]
We're all going to die sometime. I would rather go meet God, Jesus, and my WWII veteran Marine Corps father as someone who sacrificed his life to save women and children than I would as a coward who saved himself at the expense of women and children.

Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#26]
What always got me was why didn’t they ask the men in the undercarriage (?) to start building any flotation device they could out of doors, etc.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:27:30 PM EDT
[#27]
If that happened today you could hop aboard one of the thicccccc asses and stay afloat!
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:27:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:29:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Attachment Attached File

But yes, I would drown or go out in my own way if it meant a woman or child would live.

An honorable end in anyone's book.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Have you seen the passengers on a Carnival Cruise?

It's a floating Walmart.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:30:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

The richest man in the world did.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:31:47 PM EDT
[#32]
I would like to see a modern day sequel set on a budget cruise line by netflix of course.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#33]
They were gonna jump anyway, the band sucked
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:34:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Times have changed, but my upbringing hasn't. Women and children first.

Unless I get a "I don't need your help!" feminist. When she finally realizes that she made a mistake I'll wave from the lifeboat.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:34:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Since we're going back in time. I would have said, hey Cap'n how's about we cut this F'n locker open and give our lookouts some binoculars.

I'd like to think women and children first, don't know how it would have played out had my ass dipped below the waterline.

Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:36:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I don't know.  Id' like to think so.
You'd probably freeze before you got the chance to drown, but there was a different class of men back then.

ETA:  And women.
View Quote

To take your chance in the thick of a rush, with firing all about,
Is nothing so bad when you've cover to 'and, an' leave an' likin' to shout;
But to stand an' be still to the Birken'ead drill is a damn tough bullet to chew,
An' they done it, the Jollies—'Er Majesty's Jollies—soldier an' sailor too!
Their work was done when it 'adn't begun; they was younger nor me an' you;
Their choice it was plain between drownin' in 'eaps an' bein' mopped by the screw,
So they stood an' was still to the Birken'ead drill, (2)  soldier an' sailor too!
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:37:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Women and children first, 100%, but you better be damned I'd be getting on those first boats that were damn near empty.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:38:12 PM EDT
[#38]

Imagine all the trannies knocking people out left and right to claim their seat on the rescue boats.

Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#39]
It's amazing that the captain survived.
Scratch that.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The richest man in the world did.
View Quote

"We're dressed in our finest, and prepared to die as gentlemen.
I would like a brandy, though."
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:42:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I always wondered about dropping things over the damaged side, like a weighted tarp or some such, to let the water pressure seal the crack... slow the water down, anyways.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:43:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
The captain went down.  The White Star exec survived.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:45:38 PM EDT
[#44]
I'd be making a raft out of deck chairs.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:45:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Scratch that.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:48:17 PM EDT
[#46]
'To stand and be still
to the Birken'ead Drill
is a damn tough bullet to chew'.
-Kipling

A bit of reading for those not inclined to read history.

https://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/Women-Children-First/

Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:50:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Women and children first, 100%, but you better be damned I'd be getting on those first boats that were damn near empty.
View Quote

I'm surprised more didn't make a calculated choice to jump and swim to a boat earlier in the evacuation after seeing there was room to be had.

Titanic had a height from water line to Boat Deck of 60 feet. Doable. Scary, but doable.

Steve Aoki 60 ft. Cliff Jump in Ibiza
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#48]
I'll build a damn raft out of fat chicks and set sail.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually... Can a woman be defined in these current times?  I can see if it is your woman but there is that pickle surprise thang.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:52:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Scratch that.
View Quote

Charles Lightoller. 2nd Officer, did survive. It was he who spent the night atop a  capsized collapsible lifeboat.

He had a distinguished career in the British Navy, retired, and participated in the "Miracle of Dunkirk." His experience there was mirrored in Nolan's movie as the owner of the sailboat featured therein.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top